Design Competition

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Fang
07/23/08 06:52 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Burro Dude, it is Desters contest. His rules. If he agrees to modify rules(for example, inferno), cool. If not, then you do not have to participate if you do not want to.If he chooses to go by the book regarding that, ok. If not, that's ok too. It is his competition. end of story. Not sure why you are bent out of shape. Myabe the mechs should stand still backs to you and let you have the first 10 rounds unchallenged. would that make it more fair? You chose a vehicle design, knowing the flaws inherrent. Stop whining and play the game, or let the rest of us do so.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Lafeel
07/23/08 10:25 PM

I agree that just sticking infernoes on a mech for no reason is somewhat unfair, but if I remember correctly infernoes can be a problem for the user as much as the opponent, plus inferno missiles are srm's only, meaning that you can, if you play your cards right, avoid them.

Look, your vehicle has one of the most heat efficient weapons ever designed in Battletech when it comes to it's heat/damage curve (at the price of being both heavy and ammunition dependant), and can easily blow through the armor on most of the contestants, my design included.

And to finish I'd like to second what Fang said earlier, no one is forcing you to make a vehicle, let alone forcing you to take part. You made your choice, we did not.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/24/08 02:55 PM

No more arguments.

I pull my vehicle design and am replacing it with a mech. I will also never summit another vehicle design for another companion. I will stay with mechs or enter nothing.

10,376,000 cbill

100 ton
move
walk 3
run 5

engine 300 19t
gyro 3t
cockpit 3t
Heat sink 12 double 2t

IS Endo steel 5t
armor 304p 19t

head 3/9
C torso 31/50
C torso R -/11
L/R torso 21/35
L/R torso R -/7
L/R arm 17/34
L/R leg 21/42

weapons/ammo
gauss rifle LT 15t
PPC LT 7t
GR ammo LT 2t
Gauss Rifle RT 15t
PPC RT 7t
GR ammo RT 2t
GR ammo CT 1t
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/24/08 03:50 PM

A bit extreme, but I can live with it. The choice isn't mine though..(plus, it's slow speed can be used against it)
07/24/08 09:51 PM

Quote:

A bit extreme, but I can live with it. The choice isn't mine though..(plus, it's slow speed can be used against it)

Its cheaper than any of the other mechs that where summited so far.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/24/08 10:03 PM

There is nowhere thats safe from this mech. If you get under the min range of the weapons your in punching/kicking range. It also has enough ammo to stay in the fight for a long time.

Suggested tactics, if the chance of the GRs hitting gets to low only fire the PPCs Just because it has a lot of ammo does not mean that it can be waisted. A tactic that might be used ageist this mech is staying at long range unto the GRs are out of ammo. Don't let that happen and this mech has a very good chance of wining.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/25/08 12:20 AM

Actually a better idea would be to use my speed advantage to get behind it, seeing as you have no weapons that can fire into the rear arc, and are slow enough to make that possible..Quite a big difference in speed between 6/9 and 3/5..
Fang
07/26/08 10:47 AM

Actually, min range is three. so If I runinto two hexes away, I could cut loose with all my ranged weapons

*edit* my mistake. I think the min for the guass is 2. Either way, at 2, i am one in the min for the rifles, and 2 in the min for the ppcs. Still, not an assault I would want to mess with without an assault of my own.

Edited by Fang (07/26/08 12:12 PM)
Lafeel
07/26/08 02:33 PM

Actually I've found a way to take it down, as long as I could manage to keep in the 21-23 hex range bracket..After all gauss rifles, for all of their hitting power, can only reach 20 hexes (while lrm's can reach 21, and er ppc's 23)
07/26/08 10:21 PM

??? My book says gauss rifles have a long range of 16-22. Was that changed?

Weapons can be fired under min range with a +1 hit mod per hex under the min. Unless that rule was changed also.

Being in the back firing arc would be the best option. The only problem is being able to get there and stay there.

Tactic to keep enemy from getting to rear arc. Try to keep back to level 2 hill or standing in heavy woods. Since my mech cant move fast the extra defense would not hurt. Even if the woods are on fire the extra 5 heat from the woods burning might be worth the extra defense.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 10:25 PM

Might have mis read, but even then my er ppc still has a hex in range over you, and I'm fast enough to make it pretty hard for you to close before I let you.
07/26/08 10:29 PM

Whats the chance of you being able to stay exactly 23 hexes away? With both mechs moving?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 10:30 PM

When I can move 6 hexes to your 3? Pretty good, I'd say.

edit: Plus, short of getting a shot at your rear that's the only chance I have.

Edited by Lafeel (07/26/08 10:31 PM)
07/26/08 10:34 PM

Remember one mech moves then the other. I could also use train to make you come closer at the risk of letting you get to my rear firing arc.

Or will you stay one place and I would say somewhere else not fighting at all? I cant run you down so I would have to wait for you to come to me.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (07/26/08 10:36 PM)
Lafeel
07/26/08 10:36 PM

Quote:

Remember one mech moves then the other. I could also use train to make you come closer at the risk of letting you get to my rear firing arc.

I do belive the word you're looking for is "terrain", not train. But yea, it should be a interesting fight, if done right.
07/26/08 10:40 PM

Sorry, my spelling stinks to high heaven.

And yes it will. Think of the possibilities if we fought on the same side. You baiting them to come to me.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 11:01 PM

Unlikely to happen, seeing as you're a Davion fan, while I'm a snake, and proud:P (Kurita, closely followed by Wolf clan in Exile)
07/26/08 11:07 PM

True. But once the fox kills the snake... It almost happened in the 4th war. Who knows.

I do agree with you about the Wolf Clan.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 11:11 PM

Only reason why you guys weren't murdered in the 4th was because you had the Dragoons keeping a entire military district busy (and Takashi's attention fixed on them), as your entire military was busy mauling the poor Cappies.

But while that's a interesting discussion, it's somewhat off topic, so let's leave that for another day?
Fang
07/27/08 12:40 AM

what are the stats for Ishida?
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Lafeel
07/27/08 01:07 AM

here you go it's the ppc+lrm 15 variant, not the main version.
ZyKhan
07/27/08 09:18 PM

I just signed up and am bored, so why not

"Zyko"
50t IS L2
4/6/0

5,428,160 cbill

50 ton
engine 200std 11.5t
gyro 3t
cockpit 3t
Heat sink 12 double 2t

structure 2.5t
armor 200 of 201 15.5t (ALL on front, if you get behind Im dead already)

head 8
C torso 40
C torso R 0
L/R torso 28
L/R torso R 0
L/R arm 20
L/R leg 28

weapons/ammo
LB 10-X AC LT 11t
LB 10-X AC Ammo (cluster) LA 1t
LB 10-X AC Ammo (Slug) LA 1t
ER Large Laser CT 5t
3 DHS RT 3t
2 Medium Pulse Laser RA 4t
Dester
07/28/08 12:07 PM

Zykan your submission Zyko has some issues....

with a move of 4/6 at 50 tons a standard engine is only 8.5 tons
with a 200 rated engine you only need 2 tons for a gyro
you have 2.5 tons listed for the IS (i am going to assume endo steel and its ok)

The armor is all messed up on this.
you have 15.5 tons listed for the armor but this is far to much as a 50 ton mech may only have 10.5 tons. Also what you have designated as armor on the locations only comes out to 12.5 tons (still to much as you can only double the IS points in actual armor points except for the head, flat out max 9)

For the criticals you have only 3 double heat sinks put into slots when 4 need to be.
engine rating / 25 = free crits... so 200/25 = 8 free 12 -8 leaves 4 to place.

Not wrong, but why would you put the AC ammo in the arm, but the weapon in the torso? lose the arm and lose all the ammo for it.

Everything else aside, if you clean up the tonage issues, keep the same weapons load out and heatsinks you are left with 10 tons for armor. That is both legal and close to max. Just remember that you can't place more then twice the IS points in a location... ie 50 ton arm IS is 8 pts.. so you can't alot more then 16 points per arm for armor.

Please make the corrections, and redistibute the armor and re-submit the design before i accept it in the competition.

Dester
ZyKhan
07/29/08 04:49 AM

TDB v2.0.23 file- remove the attached .txt's .txt extension, its the TDB file. You'll need to rt click -> save as

Apologies, its a 60 ton design, not 50. Everything else falls into place with that change. Im used to clan designs, but the rare occasion I work IS I use XL engines, thus it being better to lose the weapon than the mech. Attachment (155 downloads)
07/29/08 10:39 AM

ZyKhan you need rear armor. All of the mech that have been entered other than mine can easily get to your rear.

The fact that its a 60 ton mech does take care of almost all of the errors but not all.

You don't need to have 3 heat sinks in the RT only 2

You also have 3 tons left over to use.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/29/08 11:04 AM

What, weren't you glad to have to face something with even less rear armor than a Locust? (*joking, of course*)

Jokes aside, that is some good advice there.
ZyKhan
07/30/08 02:21 AM

Fine, 5/7/5 rear armor (leaving 23/33/23 for the front), total of 13 DHS, and add another medium pulse laser. The 3 tons was originally using standard structure, but you're right, its not expensive to use ES, so Ill go with an extra laser. 3rd medium pulse on the arm, 4th DHS in the torso (4 DHS, 12 slots), and destribute the ES crits as needed.

One of the most annoying thing with IS designs is the huge additional bulk of ES, as well as not being able to put DHSs in the legs.

Anyway, corrected .dbm.txt is at http://www.ilkhan.com/misc/60_Zyko.dbm.txt

and any trueborn piloted puma should be able to take anything in the competition.
07/30/08 10:52 AM

Well my clan mech of choice is the Timber Wolf. Well my clan of choice is Wolf Clan.

It would be decked out with med. pulse lasers and heat sinks.
11 Med Pulse lasers
6 extra double heat sinks.

I would of had targeting computers also but that was rightfully found to be over powering.

I know, if I use all 11 MPL and run I will create 4 heat each turn. But who says I have to fire all 11 MPLs all the time.

I know, the range on the MPL are quite short. But with the mechs speed it should not hurt that much. Especially if no one knows that I am not packing any long range weapons. If I can get within short range there is a very good chance that I will hit with all 11 doing 77 points of damage. Four turns of that and even assault mechs would be down and not getting back up.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
07/30/08 03:23 PM

And that donkey... is the definition of a munchkin....
Lafeel
07/30/08 03:27 PM

Which, correct me if I'm wrong, is something you were trying to avoid by putting such strict parameters on what you could put on designs in the contest, right?
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 40866

Contact Admins Sarna.net