Design Competition

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Dester
07/09/08 04:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Design Competition

Avalon Productions have put out a call for prototype and other non standard combat units to participate in a competition. The winning unit will be scripted into a new action movie as the star roll as well as receiving the right to be produced by Dream Works Armaments for general sale and the 20 million C-Bill purse. All competitors will be required to sign over the holo-vid rights to all combats involving their design to Avalon Productions during the competition. To insure a fair and exciting fight, Avalon Productions has imposed the following criteria combatant design and rules for winning.

1) One design per contestant please.
2) Each unit will fight all other units in competition one on one using a generic terrain (one standard battletech map).
3) 100 victory points will be awarded to the winner modified on a price scale. The average price of all contestants will be determined and the base 100 points will be adjusted depending on where the winning unit falls, up or down, rounded down. Unit with the highest total modified points at the end win.
4) Battlemechs and Vehicles (hover, tracked, wheeled) are allowed all others are not due to difficulty in shooting the battle.
5) All pilot/ crews will be assigned a generic vet pilot (3 gunnery, 4 piloting)
6) General Design restrictions:
a) Minimum tonnage is 20. We aren’t shooting battle of the midgets here.
b) Speed must be (60/tonnage) + 2 round up, at a minimum. There will be no barley mobile light gun turrets on the field. (Despite some cannon units, 2 is not an acceptable walk/cruise ratio.)
c) Fractional Accounting (FA). All units will be divisible by 5 for total weight. For mechs FA is limited to engine/ endo steel combos that both result in .25 to save that extra ½ ton. Vehicles may use fractional accounting for engines, control equipment, power amplifiers and turrets only.
d) Tech. All level 1 weapons are allowed. No, clan equipment is allowed. No artillery is allowed. Melee weapons will be restricted to hatchets only. All old school level 2 tech is allowed. This includes with appropriate ammo:
ER Large Laser
ER PPC
Pulse lasers (small, med. Large)
LBX-10 AC
Ultra AC-5
Artemis IV
Streak SRM-2
Narc pod
Guardian ECM
Beagle probe
Endo Steel
Ferro fiber armor
XL engines
CASE
MASC
TSM
Anti-missile system
Double heat sinks
C3 computer + slave (though this is wasted tonnage in individual competition)
f) Finally, no more then 2 of any one weapon will be allowed.

Please submit enough data to reconstruct your Unit and any fluff or suggestions on how to use it in combat.

I will take submissions until the end of July, 2008 or until I get a total of 8 designs is approved.

Enjoy
Dester
Fang
07/10/08 02:56 PM

Is fluff a requirement? I could post a design, and then fluff later if that s ok. Having a fluff brainfart atm, sorry to say.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Dester
07/10/08 03:04 PM

No fluff is required. A bonus for sure, but not required. I added some basic fluff to the competition for those that like to fully flesh out their designs and to provide a little something for everyone.

Dester
Fang
07/10/08 04:15 PM

Carbine (3055ish?)
IS level2
65 tons
movement 4/6/3

engine FusionXL 7tons
10dbl heatsinks
cockpit+gyro 6tons
11.5 tons armor standard
armor and allocation
H-9
CT-28/9
RT/LT-20/7
RA/LA-19
RL/LL-23
Weapons, ammo, and equipment
Hatchet-RA 5tons 5crits
ER PPC RT 7tons 3 crits
Medium Laser RT 1 ton 1crit
AMS-h 1.5 tons 1 crit
SRM4-ct 2 tons 1 crit
TSM- LT 6crits
Ammo(AMS) lt 1 ton 1crit
Ammo(SRM4) LT 1ton 1 crit
CASE LT .5 tons 1 crit
LBX-AC/10 LA 11tons 6 crits
Ammo(LBX)Cluster 1 ton 1crit
Ammo(LBX)Slug 1 ton 1 crit
Jumpjet LL 1 ton 1 crit
Jumpjet CT 1ton 1crit
Jumpjet RL 1 ton 1crit

both hands are usable.
Cost(is a bit steep) 13,622,511
Basic idea is supposed to be a jack of all trades. we all know the pitfalls of such a concept, but hey. I made one anyway :P ER PPC for long range. AC is for medium to short with follow up provided by the med laser and crit seeking SRMs. Dropped in one ton each of Cluster and slug rounds cause a pilot should have some options. and the Hatchet? because I can. not as fast or mobile as I would have liked, but anything faster is going to have less armor or weapons, or both.all in all, not too bad a mech. of course, I'm baised

Edited by Fang (07/10/08 04:23 PM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/11/08 02:51 AM

cost 807500 cbill

tech level L2 old school
chassis VTAL
tank weight 21
engine 70 fusion 3t
cruse speed 10
Flank speed 15
Lift/rotor/other 2.1t
control 1.05t
IS 2.1t

Armor 92 5.75t

Front 3/40
LT/RT 3/19
Back 3/12
rotor 3/2

Weapons/ammo
ER Large Laser 5
2 Heat sinks 2
OK, I cheated a little in the VA rules. So shoot me! I SHOOT BACK!!!!

This was a prototype from Assinine Industrys to replace the old Warrior VTAL. This design was shelfed when a lighter, faster, cheaper and better armed VTAL was built and tested by Assinine Industrys. Production of this craft is still going on but at a very slow rate. Assinine Industry's only reason that this design is in Production at all is that it uses the same 70 fusion power plant that the other VTAL requires.

This VTAL is best used at range. Where tanks or mechs cant reach it or at least its not as easy to be hit. Its meant more to harass the enemy than to out right destroy the enemy. Its highly suggested by Assinine Industrys that this craft be used in numbers.

Assinine Industrys is not interested is selling this design. But all interested party's can buy units of this craft from any Assinine Industrys authorised dealer.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (07/11/08 03:21 AM)
07/11/08 02:58 AM

??? Both hands are usable?

Since when did a mech have a hatchet and have a usable hand the side that it was mounted on?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
07/11/08 08:28 AM

It has to hand to hold the axe, I should have said. I know that szome designs have the axe instead of a hand, but this has an actual hand, like the Hatchetman.
Fang
07/11/08 08:31 AM

um...vtol is not hover, tacked, or wheeled.
Dester
07/11/08 10:54 AM

Your design while a respectable VTOL, does not meet the design criteria listed under rule 4. Please revise the submission to a Hover, Wheeled or Tracked vehicle or a battlemech.

Fang
Your submission looks good. Need at least 3 other submissions to hold the competiton by the end of july.
07/11/08 04:02 PM

Quote:

Your design while a respectable VTOL, does not meet the design criteria listed under rule 4. Please revise the submission to a Hover, Wheeled or Tracked vehicle or a battlemech.

Fang
Your submission looks good. Need at least 3 other submissions to hold the competiton by the end of july.

Oops!

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/11/08 04:36 PM

cost 1809000 CBills

tech level L2
chassis track
tank weight 50
engine 150 fusion 8.25t
cruse speed 3
Flank speed 5
Lift/rotor/other n/a
control 2.5t
IS 5t

Armor 128 8t

Front 5/40
LT/RT 5/15
Back 5/10
Turret 5/48

Weapons/ammo
Gauss rifle turret 15t
PPC turret 7t
GR ammo (16) Body 2t

This tracked tank was deigned by Assinine Industrys for the med tank weight class market. When the unit cost was found out the design was abandoned. Assinine Industrys is in the market of low cost tanks and VTALs that militia forces can afford. Only about a score of these tanks where built to test out the design.

If Assinine Industrys found a manufacture to build the 150 fusion power plant they might build more of these tanks. As of this date there are no takers to build the power plant. Assinine Industrys its self has no interest at this time in building a factory for the 150 Power plant. If a sizable interest in this tank was to come about Assinine Industrys might reconsider.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (07/12/08 12:50 PM)
Dester
07/11/08 06:41 PM

i ran the numbers and your tank as listed was 1 ton under weight and i think the problem is:
GR ammo (16) Body 1t
has ammo for 2 tons but listed as only 1, unless you correct me i will assume the extra ton goes to ammo giving the tank a full 3 tons (24 shots) of ammo.

Technical issues asside, this looks like a promising design. A gauss rifle is always to be respected on the battle field.

2 designs accepted, 2 of 4 to get the competition started, max 8.

Dester
Lafeel
07/11/08 07:14 PM

Mate, the Gauss Rifle is lvl 2 tech, not lvl 1.
Fang
07/11/08 09:46 PM

Lvl2 is allowed according to the competition rules. Just lvl2 tech as of around 3050 or so it looks like. if the Star LEague didn't have, then it should not be in this comp. Cept for the C3. Course, in a one on one, C3 is kinda wasted weight.

*edit* oops. I reread the criteria, and Guass are NOT on the menu. Sorry donkey dude. I tried to stick up for your vee man.

Edited by Fang (07/11/08 09:55 PM)
07/12/08 12:37 AM

16 shots for the GR is 2 tons. That was a typo.

If he does not want my design for his competition that his choice.

Its there if he wants to play with it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/12/08 12:42 AM

What do you people think of the name of my company?

I think it goes great with my name.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/12/08 01:19 AM

Quote:

i ran the numbers and your tank as listed was 1 ton under weight and i think the problem is:
GR ammo (16) Body 1t
has ammo for 2 tons but listed as only 1, unless you correct me i will assume the extra ton goes to ammo giving the tank a full 3 tons (24 shots) of ammo.

Technical issues asside, this looks like a promising design. A gauss rifle is always to be respected on the battle field.

2 designs accepted, 2 of 4 to get the competition started, max 8.

Dester

I came up with this design playing around with the Demolisher. I did not like the Demolisher's weight or limited weapon range. You could always destroy a Demolisher by just saying 10 hexes away. I was able to cut 30 tons off and increase its weapon range with the GR and PPC. I was trying to get even lower. But I could not with out cutting its weapons way down. If tanks could have double heat sinks I would have given this tank 2 PPCs cutting the weight down even more.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/12/08 05:58 AM

Quote:

Lvl2 is allowed according to the competition rules. Just lvl2 tech as of around 3050 or so it looks like. if the Star LEague didn't have, then it should not be in this comp. Cept for the C3. Course, in a one on one, C3 is kinda wasted weight.

*edit* oops. I reread the criteria, and Guass are NOT on the menu. Sorry donkey dude. I tried to stick up for your vee man.

True, but he listed the tank as level 1 tech, which with that gun it aint.
07/12/08 12:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

True, but he listed the tank as level 1 tech, which with that gun it aint.

Your right I did. That was corrected. Thanks, it now says L2.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/12/08 01:02 PM

No problem. It is one mean tank.:)
07/12/08 01:15 PM

Ya but can it win ageist a 65 ton mech? Thats asking a lot from a 50 ton tank. Now if I was aloud to have the same CBill value aka 7.53 tanks to his one mech. I would not be worried at all. =b

Well... How am I to field a .53 of a tank? I guess I will be willing to round it down to 7 tanks. ^_^

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/12/08 01:33 PM

You never know, after all you might strike lucky and put a gauss slug through the cockpit canopy, and that's all it'd take.
07/12/08 01:44 PM

Well he could get a crew killed crit also. =(

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/12/08 02:13 PM

Well the big difference would be that you don't need to roll a crit, all you have to do is hit the right location, as the damage of the g.r. (15) exeeds the armor and internal structure possible for the head (9&3 respectively), meaning you'd blow his head off.

Edited by Lafeel (07/12/08 02:15 PM)
Fang
07/13/08 10:45 PM

personally, I would not want to go toe to toe with a guass toting anything. would need to try to close as soon as possible, alpha strike most of the way to get heat up and use TSM. CHOP CHOP! Ka-Pow! then my mech falls down with no head.
Dester
07/14/08 11:10 AM

Ok, sorry was gone all weekend, but yes the normal gauss rifle is permitted. Along with any other 'star leauge' tech that i forgot. Please ask if there are any questions. (fyi the heavy and light gauss rifles are NOT permitted)

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey The Gauss is allowed, but i ran into another problem when i was building this last night to use. The tank does not meet Rule 5.b requirements. >>Speed must be (60/tonnage) + 2 round up, at a minimum <<

(60/50) +2 = 3.2 rounded up is 4 ... needs a min cruising spead of 4.

Some suggestions would be to up the tonage to 60 and use the weight savings for armor / more weapons. Other option is to reduce the weapondry some. Sorry, I should have caught this earlier.

Dester
Fang
07/15/08 12:41 PM

Heh, if there are no more entries, do I win by default?
07/16/08 12:52 AM

There is no 5b 5 says "All pilot/ crews will be assigned a generic vet pilot (3 gunnery, 4 piloting)"

I think you meant 6b.

Rules what rules? The rules I go by is if I win I live to beat you up again tomorrow. If I do not win I am not around to cry about it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/16/08 01:04 AM

OK up it to 60 tons change the Power Plant to 180 add 6 tons armor and you figure out the cost of the tank. I could have had another .25 tons of armor but noooooo cant have that. =b

Front 5/70
LT/RT 5/28
Back 5/18
Turret 5/80

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/16/08 01:08 AM

Quote:

Heh, if there are no more entries, do I win by default?

Round 1 head shot with Gauss rifle. I WIN!!!

Next bout

Round 1 head shot with gauss rifle. I WIN AGAIN!!!

Next bout

Round 1 head shot with gauss rifle. I WIN AGAIN!!!

OK, this is boring. Time to play with the Xbox =D

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
07/16/08 09:26 AM

what kind of loaded die you using? If both are 3 gun according to the rules, and I jump and move through cover....three caps in a row are very unlikely. will most likely ammo my mech with multiple Gauss and PPC strikes as I crit your tank with autocannon and srms.
KitK
07/16/08 01:26 PM

FPN-IF1 Flash-in-the-Pan

Weight: 50 Tons
Chassis: CMCStandard Medium
Power Plant: Nissan 200
Cruising Speed: 43 (4 hexes)
Maximum Speed: 64.5 (6 hexes)
Jump Jets: Rawlings
Jump Capacity: 120 meters (4 hexes)
Armor: Durallex Medium with CASE
Armament:
1 Hovertec SRM 2
1 Kali Yama Weapons Industries LB 10-X AC
2 Magna Quasar Medium Pulse Lasers
1 Magna Mk II Medium Laser
2 Magna 200P Small Pulse Lasers
Manufacturer: CMCDesigns
Primary Factory: Dieron
Communications System: Sony MSF-21
Targeting and Tracking System: Winston Sidewinder

Overview:
The Flash-in-the-Pan was designed for an open weight
tournement.

Reconstruction note: please place LBX-10 slug and SRM inferno
ammo somewhere in the top 6 right torso critical slots. ie. 1jj
2ammo 3ammo 4lbx 5lbx 6lbx. Thanks

I debated some whether to go 5/8/5 but felt the slower mechs
increased firepower and lower engine cost out-weighed the speed. I
hope I was right.

Capabilities:
The Flash-in-the-Pan is a close range mech supported at long
range with and LBX 10 autocannon (If it doesn't say Kali Yama its not
really and autocannon. Stop into CMCDParts today - your official
Kali Yama Retailer). The Flash-in-the-Pan carries slug rather than
shot ammo to punch holes, taking advantage of the lighter weight
rather than looking for critical hits.

The Flash-in-the-Pan's SRM2 is loaded with inferno ammo for
tactical use against vehicles and battlemechs.

Deployment:
Prototype
Not in Production
Testing and Competition deployment only

Battle History:
In two MegaMek tests against the Carbine it held its own.

Known Variants:
5/8/5 version moves the medium laser to the left torso and
drops 2 medium pulse lasers. Also requires ferro-fiberous
armor.

Proposed production version carries 3 medium pulse lasers instead
of 2 medium and 2 small pulse lasers.

A rejected version uses a large pulse laser rather then the 3
medium pulse and standard medium lasers.

FPN-IF1 Flash-in-the-Pan

Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 2
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: - EndoSteel 2.5
Engine: 200 8.5
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 4
Heat Sinks: 10(20) - Double 0
Gyro: 2
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 168 10.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 16 21
Center Torso(rear) 10
R/L Torso 12 16
R/L Torso(rear) 8
R/L Arm 8 16
R/L Leg 12 24

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Medium Pulse Laser LT 1 2
Medium Pulse Laser LT 1 2
Small Pulse Laser LT 1 1
Small Pulse Laser LT 1 1
Jump Jet LT 1 0.5
LB 10-X AC RT 6 11
LB 10-X AC Ammo - Slug RT 1 1
SRM 2 Ammo - Inferno RT 1 1
CASE RT 1 0.5
Jump Jet RT 1 0.5
SRM 2 RA 1 1
Jump Jet CT 2 0.5
Medium Laser H 1 1

Endosteel
RA 3
LA 4
RT 2
LT 1
RL 2
LL 2

Double Heatsinks
LT 2 (6 cr)

Edited by KitK (07/16/08 05:37 PM)
Fang
07/16/08 02:59 PM

you have more than one medium pulse laser. I may be mistaken, but I think the rules state you can not have more than two of each weapon type you use. but I still like it.

Edited by Fang (07/16/08 03:00 PM)
KitK
07/16/08 03:31 PM

O dang! your right. So much for carefully following simple instructions.

I'll have to work out my change and post a revision.
07/16/08 10:59 PM

Quote:

O dang! your right. So much for carefully following simple instructions.

I'll have to work out my change and post a revision.

Oh tell them to stick there rules or you will stick your LB 10-X where the sun don't shine sideways. *Man that got to hurt!* hehehe

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/16/08 11:02 PM

Quote:

what kind of loaded die you using?

The best of course! I mean no I am not using loaded dice. *I pocket the loaded dice.*

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
07/17/08 10:16 AM

I still like it, KitK. Heh " held its own against the Carbine." Little permature, yeah? Hope we get a chance to throw them at each other and see what happens.
07/17/08 10:28 AM

Oh by the way my tank now has a name the "Carbine Killer"

Oops, sorry typo the was suppose to be "Mule Kicker". You know you hit that one wrong letter on the keyboard and it changes everyting.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (07/17/08 10:35 AM)
07/17/08 10:45 AM

Quote:

I still like it, KitK. Heh " held its own against the Carbine." Little permature, yeah? Hope we get a chance to throw them at each other and see what happens.

Lets see a 60 ton tank ageist a 65 ton mech. In a game that is biest towards mechs. Where one SRM 2 inferno round can destroy a 100 ton tank with one hit. Ya my tank has a big chance.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
KitK
07/17/08 12:18 PM

Premature? Yeah, probably. Though I didn't say I won.
I just picked up MegaMek so I thought this would be an interesting way to try out the software too. Though it may be a cheesy thing to do too. Anyway...
I'd say the computer AI didn't do the Carbine justice. Still it gives me some confidence. And, I learned to hate your AMS.
Fang
07/17/08 12:21 PM

LoL! How did you enter the custom designs into MegaMek. Did you have to use Heavy Metal Pro to do it? I have been trying to figure out how to do so for awhile now. I only have The Drawing Board atm.
KitK
07/17/08 12:25 PM

I like inferno missiles, I really do.
Unless of course I'm on the recieving end. But I don't want to talk about that.
I'd rather go dream about roasting marshmallows over a burning tank.
07/18/08 02:15 AM

I use the US current definition of WMD. Where if a weapon renders a body unidentifiable its a WMD. Infernos and flamers are WMD ageist PBI and tanks. under my house rules armored PBI and tanks are to leave fire hexes and can not inter them. There not automatically destroyed for being in a fire hex.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
KitK
07/20/08 05:03 PM

I have the Drawing Board 2.0.23. I save the mech as an XML file under File>Save as XML. Then I find the folder from which MegaMek reads in the mechs (megamek>data>mechfiles. I made my own file (to keep things separate) called MyMechs and cut and pasted the XML file there. Then my mech comes up in the list. Though sometimes it is hard to find in those massive lists. One other problem is that sometimes MegaMek replaces my level disignation with a "F." I am not sure what this means because the mech is in the right catagory. But I do know it prevents the mech from loading into the game. Apparently, it thinks there is some illegal equipment. I guess there is a java program with Megamek that help diagnos this problem, but I haven't got to the point where I want to download a java compiler and sort it out.
Dester
07/22/08 11:16 AM

3 designs accpeted and a little over a week for the dead line. Hopefully one more will submit something so i don't have to whip up something real quick like to be a "house" unit.

The mech with infernos could be a very interesting mech.
07/22/08 03:12 PM

That was added only so the rule about inferno missiles would be used. So he can hit my tank with just one missile and destroy it. I exercise the part of the inferno rule that says players must agree on the use of infernos before play. I don't agree on there use.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dermezel
07/22/08 03:37 PM

I would like to enter Suppon though I think that would violate a great deal of rules. Perhaps if I replace the Heavy Gauss it would be more acceptable, or do they not allow LAMs?
Dester
07/22/08 05:24 PM

Sorry Dermezel no LAMs, and I must insist that it follow the rest of the rules as well.

Donkey, don't worry i don't believe in instant kill weapons so there will be some rolls involved for the inferno to destroy the tank.
Lafeel
07/22/08 05:53 PM

Also, I am right, Dester, that the HGR isn't old school lvl 2 tech? By that I assumed you meant the stuff used in the (fasa) original 3050 tro.

edit: wrong number

Edited by Lafeel (07/22/08 05:54 PM)
Dester
07/22/08 06:37 PM

Correct lafeel, The Heavy Gauss Rifle is not "old school" level 2. That tech being the new items in the orignal FASA TRO 2750 and 3050. I tried to list them all out but forgot the standard gauss rifle.

Most of the "new" advanced tech just seams very gimicy and overly complicated. so i have blanket outlawed it. Personally the only things that make any kinda since are expanding the current group of ER lasers, LBX and ultra auto-cannons and maybe an IS reverse engineered version of the targeting computer and a clan version of the C-3 (though the advantages of that are very unclan like).

I personally don't care for anything past the 3058 TRO (orignal FASA) and 99.9% of the things that wiz kids did to the battletech universe. I think Catalyst is making strides to move on, but got stuck with all of wiz kids crap. The only thing that i have seen worth while between the two was revising how anti-missle systems work.

To be fair i believe that the final run of products from FASA were going down the gimicy path with Max Tech and stuff, but it only got worse with wiz kids. I will give them some credit for keeping the game alive, but just only.

Dester
Lafeel
07/22/08 09:06 PM

Just for giggles I would like to enter the Ishida variant into the contest, if it's ok. It would be pretty funny if it did any good seeing as it's handi capped by having a C3 master in it.
Fang
07/22/08 10:39 PM

um, didn't realize one could put a HGR on a LAM design. Lams are limited to a max weight of 55 tons, and the HGR wold take a lot of that weight. does your HGR toting LAM have any armor or speed? And could it actually fire the weapon in flight? aren't there piloting skill rolls involved?
Tripod
07/23/08 06:28 AM

haha, that would be funny to see an aerospace fighter fire a HGR and lawn dart because of it.

i would like to know the rule for that situation though.

what happened to the other design contest i entered? seems to have died off...sux... i might come up with something for this one... what is the actual date deadline?
TBA
07/23/08 09:57 AM

Quote:

Sorry Dermezel no LAMs, and I must insist that it follow the rest of the rules as well.

Donkey, don't worry i don't believe in instant kill weapons so there will be some rolls involved for the inferno to destroy the tank.

Yes there is one roll. That one roll says that there is a 42% chance every round that any tank no matter what its destroyed by only one missile. So a 20 ton mech can destroy a 100 ton tank with a 42% chance every round. With a inferno staying on the tank for three rounds thats a guarantied kill with one missile.

Tanks already are at a unfair disadvantage as it is. Infernos are just adding more.

I don't agree with infernos being aloud to be used.

If you want to say that an inferno round does not hit the tank but it hits the hex that its in. Also that if the tank leaves the hex as soon as it can it will not be affected by the fire. I will agree to that. The only way that the tank can be destroyed by fire is if its dead in the water. By that point its destroyed anyways. If you have that as the rule for tanks and fire I will agree to the use of infernos. If not no infernos missiles.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
07/23/08 11:14 AM

I can see that now LAM fires hgr then goes cartwheeling backwards while the gauss shell just falls to the ground.
KitK
07/23/08 01:48 PM

Dude stop your Royal Highass complaining. You were saying something about how many tanks you could take if based on cost. Well, vehicles are cheap because they are vulnerable, die easy, and are expendable. It is the nature of Battletech to keep the vehicles in support roles and the Mechs as King of the Battlefield. And, besides, cost being a major factor in determing the winner, your tank takes its edge and advantage in that aspect. Not to mention the possibility of taking a Mech's head off at long-range, which has been known to happen. Inferno's give you heartburn, but you could be tread-dead with a jammed turret just as easily from a LBX or SRM.

Point 1 - Diplomacy: suggest a new rule, change or modification. Don't be so demanding. Dester is running the competition not you.

Point 2 - I am not taking off my inferno unless Dester asks me to. It is intergal to the Mech's design and removal would destroy its character. Even if Dester mitigates its effectiveness to keep things fair, I'd leave it on. I'd be disappointed, but I'd leave it on.

Point 3 - You obviously think I have put you at an unfair disadvantage. So, perhaps Dester would allow you to modify your submission, so that you could add an AMS with a couple tons of ammo. A SRM-2 is fairly easy to deal with. I will even ask for you.

Dester, my design has left His Royal Highass Donkey's tank in a potentially unfair situation. Would you allow him/her to modify his/her design to address this situation, if he/she desires to do so? Thank you. KitK
Dester
07/23/08 02:56 PM

donkey,
Nit picking rules, throwing a temper tantrum and telling me what I can and can't do in my own competition are quick ways to get on my bad side.

By subitting your design, you agreed to all my rules, and stipulations. and since i didn't outlaw or give custom rules for infernos, they will be played as is. You chose the cheap vehicle route to give yourself a cost advanate in the competition so you don't get to whine about how unfair infernos are. Each chassis has their own advantages and limitations so don't expect me to feed your munchinizem by bending the rules to make your tank imune to one of its vulerable aspects."

Kitk yes, he can modify it to add an anti-missle system as i havent' actually built these out yet.

Lafeel, thank you for the submition, that puts us at 4 and I will go ahead and finish the build outs and get things started.

Tripod:
The offical end date for submissions is the end of July, 2008 so you have some time. I will just be getting things started a little early as i get submissions to keep things paced out.

I will take a total of up to 8 designs (one per person) or untill the end of july, which ever comes first.

Dester
Lafeel
07/23/08 03:15 PM

Look, Donkey, don't take this the wrong way, but the reason why the game is so biased in favour of mechs probably does have something (meaning a lot) to do with the fact that this game is, ultimately, not about the vehicles, but the 'mechs, when it comes down to it.

We don't have to like it, but unless we want to go down the road of fundamentally changing the rules of the game so it is not so biased, we are going to have to live with it.
07/23/08 05:39 PM

Quote:

Dude stop your Royal Highass complaining. You were saying something about how many tanks you could take if based on cost. Well, vehicles are cheap because they are vulnerable, die easy, and are expendable. It is the nature of Battletech to keep the vehicles in support roles and the Mechs as King of the Battlefield. And, besides, cost being a major factor in determing the winner, your tank takes its edge and advantage in that aspect. Not to mention the possibility of taking a Mech's head off at long-range, which has been known to happen. Inferno's give you heartburn, but you could be tread-dead with a jammed turret just as easily from a LBX or SRM.

Point 1 - Diplomacy: suggest a new rule, change or modification. Don't be so demanding. Dester is running the competition not you.

Point 2 - I am not taking off my inferno unless Dester asks me to. It is intergal to the Mech's design and removal would destroy its character. Even if Dester mitigates its effectiveness to keep things fair, I'd leave it on. I'd be disappointed, but I'd leave it on.

Point 3 - You obviously think I have put you at an unfair disadvantage. So, perhaps Dester would allow you to modify your submission, so that you could add an AMS with a couple tons of ammo. A SRM-2 is fairly easy to deal with. I will even ask for you.

Dester, my design has left His Royal Highass Donkey's tank in a potentially unfair situation. Would you allow him/her to modify his/her design to address this situation, if he/she desires to do so? Thank you. KitK

Point 4 Inferno rules are not mandatory. From Battletech compendium page 70. quote All players should review the special-case rules and agree on thous to be included in there game before beginning play. end quote fire in in the special case rules.

As for your point 1 I did do that! I am willing to agree to them with some modification.
Quote:

If you want to say that an inferno round does not hit the tank but it hits the hex that its in. Also that if the tank leaves the hex as soon as it can it will not be affected by the fire. I will agree to that. The only way that the tank can be destroyed by fire is if its dead in the water. By that point its destroyed anyways. If you have that as the rule for tanks and fire I will agree to the use of infernos. If not no infernos missiles.

As for your last statement your right Dester has the last word. He can do whatever he feels like. Since this is not a campaign that I am joining. What ever I say is worth less than nothing. I am just trying to give my design a fair fighting chance. If infernos are used under the rules as they are. I might as well pull my tank design out of the competition. It does not have a chance.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/23/08 06:16 PM

Quote:

Look, Donkey, don't take this the wrong way, but the reason why the game is so biased in favour of mechs probably does have something (meaning a lot) to do with the fact that this game is, ultimately, not about the vehicles, but the 'mechs, when it comes down to it.

We don't have to like it, but unless we want to go down the road of fundamentally changing the rules of the game so it is not so biased, we are going to have to live with it.

If the biased was completely removed so would be battlemechs. Battlemechs will never see the light of day in the real world other than as a novelty you will see at SiFi conventions. All I was trying to do was get reed of the one shot one kill. I know that I will not win this. I never had a chance in the first place. I was just hopping that no one would have thought of using infernos to wipe out my tank with one shot.

I am the only person on this whole list that would like to see tanks win over a mechs. I am the marder for the underdog aka tanks. I knew that when I joined that I would not be liked since i am no where near gun ho for mechs as everyone else. *shrugs* But I am what I am.

I might as well not bother entering another one of these since everyones mechs will have infernos from now on.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
07/23/08 06:52 PM

Burro Dude, it is Desters contest. His rules. If he agrees to modify rules(for example, inferno), cool. If not, then you do not have to participate if you do not want to.If he chooses to go by the book regarding that, ok. If not, that's ok too. It is his competition. end of story. Not sure why you are bent out of shape. Myabe the mechs should stand still backs to you and let you have the first 10 rounds unchallenged. would that make it more fair? You chose a vehicle design, knowing the flaws inherrent. Stop whining and play the game, or let the rest of us do so.
Lafeel
07/23/08 10:25 PM

I agree that just sticking infernoes on a mech for no reason is somewhat unfair, but if I remember correctly infernoes can be a problem for the user as much as the opponent, plus inferno missiles are srm's only, meaning that you can, if you play your cards right, avoid them.

Look, your vehicle has one of the most heat efficient weapons ever designed in Battletech when it comes to it's heat/damage curve (at the price of being both heavy and ammunition dependant), and can easily blow through the armor on most of the contestants, my design included.

And to finish I'd like to second what Fang said earlier, no one is forcing you to make a vehicle, let alone forcing you to take part. You made your choice, we did not.
07/24/08 02:55 PM

No more arguments.

I pull my vehicle design and am replacing it with a mech. I will also never summit another vehicle design for another companion. I will stay with mechs or enter nothing.

10,376,000 cbill

100 ton
move
walk 3
run 5

engine 300 19t
gyro 3t
cockpit 3t
Heat sink 12 double 2t

IS Endo steel 5t
armor 304p 19t

head 3/9
C torso 31/50
C torso R -/11
L/R torso 21/35
L/R torso R -/7
L/R arm 17/34
L/R leg 21/42

weapons/ammo
gauss rifle LT 15t
PPC LT 7t
GR ammo LT 2t
Gauss Rifle RT 15t
PPC RT 7t
GR ammo RT 2t
GR ammo CT 1t

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/24/08 03:50 PM

A bit extreme, but I can live with it. The choice isn't mine though..(plus, it's slow speed can be used against it)
07/24/08 09:51 PM

Quote:

A bit extreme, but I can live with it. The choice isn't mine though..(plus, it's slow speed can be used against it)

Its cheaper than any of the other mechs that where summited so far.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/24/08 10:03 PM

There is nowhere thats safe from this mech. If you get under the min range of the weapons your in punching/kicking range. It also has enough ammo to stay in the fight for a long time.

Suggested tactics, if the chance of the GRs hitting gets to low only fire the PPCs Just because it has a lot of ammo does not mean that it can be waisted. A tactic that might be used ageist this mech is staying at long range unto the GRs are out of ammo. Don't let that happen and this mech has a very good chance of wining.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/25/08 12:20 AM

Actually a better idea would be to use my speed advantage to get behind it, seeing as you have no weapons that can fire into the rear arc, and are slow enough to make that possible..Quite a big difference in speed between 6/9 and 3/5..
Fang
07/26/08 10:47 AM

Actually, min range is three. so If I runinto two hexes away, I could cut loose with all my ranged weapons

*edit* my mistake. I think the min for the guass is 2. Either way, at 2, i am one in the min for the rifles, and 2 in the min for the ppcs. Still, not an assault I would want to mess with without an assault of my own.

Edited by Fang (07/26/08 12:12 PM)
Lafeel
07/26/08 02:33 PM

Actually I've found a way to take it down, as long as I could manage to keep in the 21-23 hex range bracket..After all gauss rifles, for all of their hitting power, can only reach 20 hexes (while lrm's can reach 21, and er ppc's 23)
07/26/08 10:21 PM

??? My book says gauss rifles have a long range of 16-22. Was that changed?

Weapons can be fired under min range with a +1 hit mod per hex under the min. Unless that rule was changed also.

Being in the back firing arc would be the best option. The only problem is being able to get there and stay there.

Tactic to keep enemy from getting to rear arc. Try to keep back to level 2 hill or standing in heavy woods. Since my mech cant move fast the extra defense would not hurt. Even if the woods are on fire the extra 5 heat from the woods burning might be worth the extra defense.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 10:25 PM

Might have mis read, but even then my er ppc still has a hex in range over you, and I'm fast enough to make it pretty hard for you to close before I let you.
07/26/08 10:29 PM

Whats the chance of you being able to stay exactly 23 hexes away? With both mechs moving?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 10:30 PM

When I can move 6 hexes to your 3? Pretty good, I'd say.

edit: Plus, short of getting a shot at your rear that's the only chance I have.

Edited by Lafeel (07/26/08 10:31 PM)
07/26/08 10:34 PM

Remember one mech moves then the other. I could also use train to make you come closer at the risk of letting you get to my rear firing arc.

Or will you stay one place and I would say somewhere else not fighting at all? I cant run you down so I would have to wait for you to come to me.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (07/26/08 10:36 PM)
Lafeel
07/26/08 10:36 PM

Quote:

Remember one mech moves then the other. I could also use train to make you come closer at the risk of letting you get to my rear firing arc.

I do belive the word you're looking for is "terrain", not train. But yea, it should be a interesting fight, if done right.
07/26/08 10:40 PM

Sorry, my spelling stinks to high heaven.

And yes it will. Think of the possibilities if we fought on the same side. You baiting them to come to me.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 11:01 PM

Unlikely to happen, seeing as you're a Davion fan, while I'm a snake, and proud:P (Kurita, closely followed by Wolf clan in Exile)
07/26/08 11:07 PM

True. But once the fox kills the snake... It almost happened in the 4th war. Who knows.

I do agree with you about the Wolf Clan.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/26/08 11:11 PM

Only reason why you guys weren't murdered in the 4th was because you had the Dragoons keeping a entire military district busy (and Takashi's attention fixed on them), as your entire military was busy mauling the poor Cappies.

But while that's a interesting discussion, it's somewhat off topic, so let's leave that for another day?
Fang
07/27/08 12:40 AM

what are the stats for Ishida?
Lafeel
07/27/08 01:07 AM

here you go it's the ppc+lrm 15 variant, not the main version.
ZyKhan
07/27/08 09:18 PM

I just signed up and am bored, so why not

"Zyko"
50t IS L2
4/6/0

5,428,160 cbill

50 ton
engine 200std 11.5t
gyro 3t
cockpit 3t
Heat sink 12 double 2t

structure 2.5t
armor 200 of 201 15.5t (ALL on front, if you get behind Im dead already)

head 8
C torso 40
C torso R 0
L/R torso 28
L/R torso R 0
L/R arm 20
L/R leg 28

weapons/ammo
LB 10-X AC LT 11t
LB 10-X AC Ammo (cluster) LA 1t
LB 10-X AC Ammo (Slug) LA 1t
ER Large Laser CT 5t
3 DHS RT 3t
2 Medium Pulse Laser RA 4t
Dester
07/28/08 12:07 PM

Zykan your submission Zyko has some issues....

with a move of 4/6 at 50 tons a standard engine is only 8.5 tons
with a 200 rated engine you only need 2 tons for a gyro
you have 2.5 tons listed for the IS (i am going to assume endo steel and its ok)

The armor is all messed up on this.
you have 15.5 tons listed for the armor but this is far to much as a 50 ton mech may only have 10.5 tons. Also what you have designated as armor on the locations only comes out to 12.5 tons (still to much as you can only double the IS points in actual armor points except for the head, flat out max 9)

For the criticals you have only 3 double heat sinks put into slots when 4 need to be.
engine rating / 25 = free crits... so 200/25 = 8 free 12 -8 leaves 4 to place.

Not wrong, but why would you put the AC ammo in the arm, but the weapon in the torso? lose the arm and lose all the ammo for it.

Everything else aside, if you clean up the tonage issues, keep the same weapons load out and heatsinks you are left with 10 tons for armor. That is both legal and close to max. Just remember that you can't place more then twice the IS points in a location... ie 50 ton arm IS is 8 pts.. so you can't alot more then 16 points per arm for armor.

Please make the corrections, and redistibute the armor and re-submit the design before i accept it in the competition.

Dester
ZyKhan
07/29/08 04:49 AM

TDB v2.0.23 file- remove the attached .txt's .txt extension, its the TDB file. You'll need to rt click -> save as

Apologies, its a 60 ton design, not 50. Everything else falls into place with that change. Im used to clan designs, but the rare occasion I work IS I use XL engines, thus it being better to lose the weapon than the mech. Attachment (155 downloads)
07/29/08 10:39 AM

ZyKhan you need rear armor. All of the mech that have been entered other than mine can easily get to your rear.

The fact that its a 60 ton mech does take care of almost all of the errors but not all.

You don't need to have 3 heat sinks in the RT only 2

You also have 3 tons left over to use.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
07/29/08 11:04 AM

What, weren't you glad to have to face something with even less rear armor than a Locust? (*joking, of course*)

Jokes aside, that is some good advice there.
ZyKhan
07/30/08 02:21 AM

Fine, 5/7/5 rear armor (leaving 23/33/23 for the front), total of 13 DHS, and add another medium pulse laser. The 3 tons was originally using standard structure, but you're right, its not expensive to use ES, so Ill go with an extra laser. 3rd medium pulse on the arm, 4th DHS in the torso (4 DHS, 12 slots), and destribute the ES crits as needed.

One of the most annoying thing with IS designs is the huge additional bulk of ES, as well as not being able to put DHSs in the legs.

Anyway, corrected .dbm.txt is at http://www.ilkhan.com/misc/60_Zyko.dbm.txt

and any trueborn piloted puma should be able to take anything in the competition.
07/30/08 10:52 AM

Well my clan mech of choice is the Timber Wolf. Well my clan of choice is Wolf Clan.

It would be decked out with med. pulse lasers and heat sinks.
11 Med Pulse lasers
6 extra double heat sinks.

I would of had targeting computers also but that was rightfully found to be over powering.

I know, if I use all 11 MPL and run I will create 4 heat each turn. But who says I have to fire all 11 MPLs all the time.

I know, the range on the MPL are quite short. But with the mechs speed it should not hurt that much. Especially if no one knows that I am not packing any long range weapons. If I can get within short range there is a very good chance that I will hit with all 11 doing 77 points of damage. Four turns of that and even assault mechs would be down and not getting back up.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
07/30/08 03:23 PM

And that donkey... is the definition of a munchkin....
Lafeel
07/30/08 03:27 PM

Which, correct me if I'm wrong, is something you were trying to avoid by putting such strict parameters on what you could put on designs in the contest, right?
Dester
07/30/08 05:10 PM

Very much so. While munchkin designs are marginally ok to use in a no holds bars free for all, they are just so not in the spirit of the game otherwise. And again... as everything munchkin based is gimicy and lopsided, there is always a counter for it. History has proven this time and time again with solid no frills designs to weapon technology dating back to the dawn of civilization.

Dester
Lafeel
07/30/08 05:21 PM

Yup, as Lenin (or was it Stalin) said "quantity has a quality all of it's own"..Or as I paraphrased them "anything counts in large enough numbers"

edit: case in point: I'd take equalient tonnage in Savannah master light hover tanks (or, horror, equalient cost on c-bills of them) against any mech yet made, there's no way you can kill all of them before I kill you.

Edited by Lafeel (07/30/08 09:27 PM)
07/31/08 12:28 AM

Quote:

And that donkey... is the definition of a munchkin....

Now you have totally lost me on what you call a "munchkin". What does outfitting a omnimech have to do with this munchkin thing that you keep using?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
08/01/08 04:11 PM

Donky:
use the following link for the rollplaying definision of munchkin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_(role-playing_games)

Submition times are now close and i'll get to work running the battles and posting the data.

Dester
Lafeel
08/01/08 04:23 PM

Good luck, mate. If you have any questions about my design, or how to use it, toss me a pm. I'm more than willing to answer any that might arise.:)
Fang
08/01/08 04:50 PM

I wonder how many munchkin players clicked that link, read the wiki, and thought "Gee, glad that isn't me"
Lafeel
08/01/08 05:01 PM

Wouldn't be surprised that a couple did..*did click it, to check it's accuracy*

I've had my run ins with them during my rp years..Could really hurt your enjoyement of the evening, sometimes.
Fang
08/01/08 09:48 PM

Wonder if I should have entered my Mjollnir assault mech in this competition?
08/01/08 10:21 PM

Quote:

Donky:
use the following link for the rollplaying definision of munchkin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_(role-playing_games)

Submition times are now close and i'll get to work running the battles and posting the data.

Dester

I can see how you would see that in my posts. I do like raw power. I normally play warrior type of characters. But it can easily interfere with enjoying playing any game when done to eases.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
08/06/08 10:55 AM

Got busy over the weekend and the last few days so i only have 2 of the battles completed so far (out of ten total). so might be another week or two before i get the results done.

Dester
Prince_of_Darkness
08/08/08 01:28 AM

I guess this means I cannot join, then?
Fang
08/08/08 11:19 AM

Sadly, the cut off was end of July. But it looks like the design competition thing is coming back around here on Sarna, so stick around. Another will most likely come along soon.
Fang
08/14/08 02:56 PM

*bump* how is this going so far? any news as of yet?
Dester
08/14/08 05:46 PM

So far i have 4 of the battles done (all of one design).
I won't release any results other then to say they are progressing slower then i would have liked but i have become pretty busy this month so i wish to applogize for the delay.

I want to release all the results at once so there arn't any forgone conclusions.

Dester
Fang
09/05/08 10:38 AM

*bump* just checking on the status is all. progressing well, I hope.
Dester
09/05/08 01:16 PM

2 battles left... i hope to get it finished this weekend, but no promises
Fang
09/14/08 10:40 PM

*bump*
Dester
09/23/08 11:17 PM

Owner - mech name - price tag - modifier from average - number of wins - total points scored.
Donkey un-named 10,376,000 92.38496145 0.5 46.19248072
Lafeel Ishida 13,983,790 68.54982519 1.5 102.8247378
ZyKhan Zyko 5,668,160 169.1177313 2 338.2354627
Fang Carbine 13,595,368 70.50830548 3 211.5249164
Kitk Flash-n-the-pan 4,306,000 222.6164329 3 667.8492987

The story of the little mech that could... Congrats to Kitk and his Flash-in-the-pan for winning by points and tieing for the best record.

Donkey's un-named vs Ishida
An interesting fight. Solo and using the terrain to his best advanatage the un-named mech managed to keep the Ishida out of his back. While the Ishida's speed was good enough

to flush the Un-named from his hillside forest, it wasn't good enough to keep in his back with woods and the lake in the middle to keep his back just out of reach. Jump jets

would have been invaluable to the Ishida.

The fight took about 12 rounds. Before the Ishida suffered massive damage and was eleminated. The un-named pilot didn't get to see his vicotry as he was busy blacking out from a

hit to the gauss riffle coupled with an early group of missles to the head. This all wouldn't have been so bad if the Un-named had more back armor as he fell square on his

surviving left torso and caused the other Gauss rifle to explode. This resulted in the 5th and 6th head hits causing the pilot to die and offically defeating the mech. (missle

hit, GR, fall, GR = dead)

This fight ends in a draw and each mech will get 1/2 normal their normal vicotry points.

*notes* Lots of armor to chew thru on the 100 ton unnamed mech and with enough ammo to basicly just blast away, the GRs did some telling damage. Great support mech in the

Devistator config (really close clone actually). Luck was also with the un-named as it won the the init all but 4 rounds and for the first 5 strait.

Donkey's un-named vs Zyko:
A brutal fight but the heavier armor of the un-named allowed it to weather the storm of the zyko. The LB-10X AC got a few chances at CT crits but couldn't capitalize on them.

The brutal short range also hurt the un-named mechs weapons but just enough got thru to eventually wear down and destroy the Zyko.

The un-named wins a victory.

*notes*
lots of bad luck on the zyko's side as it took alot of damage early to both side torsos as it closed. Like the Ishida before it, lack of Jumpjets really hurt this design on for

head on competition.

Donkey's un-named vs Carbine:
Short and brutal fight. The Carbine's armor was just barly thick enough for the run into close range but once there it was easy to keep behind the un-named and back shot it to

death. FYI the Carbine survived a PPC shot to the head in the first round to claim the victory.

Carbine wins.

Donkey's un-named vs Flash-in-the-Pan:
Though damaged on the run in, The Flash-in-the-Pan was able to get in behind the un-named and rip it apart. Both gauss rifles were hit and exploded and the pilot took a head

hit when he fell down due to gyro damage.

Flash-in-the-Pan scores the vicotry.

Ishida vs Zyko:
The Ishida tried to keep its distance but the Zyko was able to finally corner and kill the zyko. An early thru CT crit robed the Zyko of its Large laser, but it was still able

to close and grind down the Ishida which finally fell due to a loss of a side torso and its XL engine.

Zyko wins.

*note* late in the battle it looked like the Ishida might rob the Zyko of its victory with a PPC to the head, but couldn't come up with a crit to kill the mech.

Ishida vs Carbine:
While it took a few rounds for the Carbine to corner the ishida, once he did that all she wrote. 2nd round of hatchet took the head clean off.

Ishida Vs Flash-in-the-Pan:
Jumpjets allowed the Flash to corner the Ishida and hampered with heat due to the infernos it finally sucomed to the damage when it lost a side torso along with its XL engine.

Zyko vs Carbine:
While the Carbine took some damage, the Zyko just got murdered. Both mechs closed and the Carbine used its jumpjects to jump behinde the Zyko when it finally won inititive and

that was all she wrote.

Zyko vs Flash-in-the-Pan:
This battle was a lot of cat and mouse as the Zyko tried to keep the Flash-in-the-Pan out of its back and was finally rewarded when it rushed in with a point blank shot

followed by a kick that severed the right leg. A few rounds later the zyko won. As a side note, with 2 LB 10-X AC's in play I expected more then 1 head it out of the pelets, but it seamed my dice wanted an even

fight.

Carbine vs Flash-in-the-Pan:
Long fight with both mechs jumping around the middle lake with the flash in the pan finally claiming victory. The Fight was favoring the heavier carbine untill it ran out of

ammo for its AMS and the inferno rounds finally started landing and limited the carbine's PPC usage. Both mechs were very damage and both pilots had been pumeled with LBX

pellets, but the XL engine in the Carbine finally let it down with the loss of its left torso after 2 empty ammo bins had been hit, AMS and top LBX bins.
Lafeel
09/24/08 12:45 PM

I knew that the lack of jump jets was going to hurt in the long run, but you can only squeeze so much into a design when you are trying to squeeze a C3 master into a fast medium mech.

Did about as well as expected actually, and I particularly love how the first fight ended.:D
KitK
09/24/08 02:03 PM

Thanks for running this competition, Dester. It takes a lot of time, commitment, and effort. The cost factoring method was very interesting.

I gambled a slower,cheaper engine would give enough firepower to stand against larger mechs. Not only did the gamble pay off but the F-i-t-P actually beat some big opponents. I would have never bet real money on the F-i-t-P against the Carbine or Un-named. I am quite pleased and impressed with the little mech. It has earned a less derogatory name, which it will need to be in an Avalon Productions movie: The FPN-IF1 Flashpoint.

Out of curiosity, how big of a factor was the inferno in slowing down the other mechs or from ammo explosion or fires? did the CASE ever save the mech? and, I appears you used LBX shot instead of slug, any guess how slug might have affected the outcomes?

KitK
Fang
09/24/08 05:32 PM

3 wins against four different opponents is nothing to feel bad about. I just wish I had been able to construct the Carbine with out the use of an XL. That Flashpoint/Flash-in-the-Pan is one bad little mech. I think I need to write some fluff for the Carbine and add it to Ground Zero Salvage and Technolgy's armory. The assault in the mix proves an old adage. Bigger is not always better.
Dester
09/26/08 11:46 AM

From my persepctive... one on one battles jumpjets rule the day, they really do.

Kitk
In about 1/2 the fights the infernos really helped out, the others not so much... it really depended on what the other mechs were packing for weapons/ heat efficancy. No mech shut down or had ammo go up because of heat, but then i was playing most mechs rather conservative.

All of the designs seamed solid though I felt that the Ishida was seriously under gunned and didn't utilize the one advantage of a big engine by not maxing out the internal double heatsinks.

Donkey's big assult mech just need smore armor on the back, and the duel gauss rifle config is prone to explosions and rendering the pilot unconsious or dead. in every battle except the one it won, the pilot had at least 2 head hits by the end of the encounter.

The carbine was just brutle in close range, but i really found myself wanting that 4th jumpjet time and time again, especially in the last battle with the Flash mech as it was not only to keep jumping just out of range of the hatchet, but also to angle itsself into favorable fireing positions.

The Zyto was just a good solid no frills design that was a good average mech, no complaints, but nothing really stood out.

About the only thing i would have recomended on the flash is up the SRM-2 to a Streak SRM-2. More heat efficent and less ammo consumption when it hits with both for 6 rounds as aposed to usually 1 for 3 rounds of heat.

Thanks again to all that participated.
Lafeel
09/26/08 10:23 PM

It was a pleasure.:) Would love to repeat it, or maybe even try my hand at doing a one myself.
09/28/08 06:06 PM

If I won 1 battle (Zyko) and tied another (Ishida) why does it show that I won only .5?

With some one defending my back I could do better. But with one on one you can only do so much. I agree its a great support mech. I just thought it would have done better. To bad I never got a head hit with a GR. Oh well, that's luck and you should never rely on luck.

Speed is a great advantage in any battle. But at the high cost of the XL I stayed with the slandered engine.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dester
09/29/08 03:48 PM

yep, your right donkey, have the win/loss backwords for your mech and the Lafees, sorry about that.
you had a 1.5 and his had a .5 victories

Sorry about that, but it still doesn't change the winner
Fang
09/30/08 02:37 AM

The only thing I could come up with at this time is to change the SRM4 to a STREAK2 with infernos maybe, and drop the CASE. That would get you the fourth jumpjet. WHile the STREAK infernos or no would be ok, not sure how I feel about losing the CASE. Sure, if there is an ammo hit, the engine is gone anyway, but at least your pilot survives. Well, just one thought on how to get the maximum movement out of the ole Carbine.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 41133

Contact Admins Sarna.net