Dark Matter Cloaking Device & Dual Reusable Fuel Transit Drive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Newtype
12/12/08 02:27 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Dark Matter Cloaking Device
The dark matter cloaking device works by having dark matter panels cover (cloak) a unit/structure. While cloaked, that object cannot be tracked by radar and cannot be seen in outer space. During the End Phase of a turn, the player controlling said object equipped with a dark matter cloaking device decides whether or not to have unit/structure cloaked or uncloaked. If uncloaking or cloaking in the End Phase all of that unit's/structure's attacks have a +6 to-hit modifier in addition to all other modifiers in the following turn. While cloaked that unit/structure may not make any attacks. To determine the mass for a dark matter cloaking device simply take the mass of the unit/structure its mounted on and multiply that mass by 1% plus 10% of the total mass of that unit's/structure's mounted weapons. The cost in C-Bills of a dark matter cloaking device equals its mass multiplied by 10,000 C-Bills.

Dual Reusable Fuel Transit Drive

This type of transit drive should work by reusing the fuel in two loops. Fuel is pumped into the left and right combustion chambers. Next the fuel provides thrust for the spacecraft, four action forces numbered 1 and two reaction forces numbered 2 causing the ship to have a temporary net movement of zero. The left and right aft exhausts then move along the inner left and right aft curves of the return pipes creating two forces (numbered 3) that move the ship backwards (the left and right forces of 3 cancel each other out). The left and right exhausts then move along the aft curves return pipes and hit the right and left curves of the return pipes with forces numbered 4 - each of these two left and right forces cancel each other out and then move along the curves (their left and right forces numbered 5 cancel each other out) while their forward forces (also numbered 5) move along the curves moving the ship forwards. Then the forward moving exhausts and their forward moving forces (numbered 6) impact the forward outer return pipe curves then move forward and to the left/right putting forward and left/right forces on those curves which moves the ship forward but the left and right forces (numbered 7) cancel each other out then the left/right exhausts move right/left with forces numbered 8 pushed by the panels to and impact the left/right inner return pipe corner sides (both 8 left/right forces cancel each other out) while stopping at those corner sides and then the moving panels move the exhausts through the doorways (once the doors have slided open) back into the combustion chambers pushing the ship backwards (numbered forces 9) while forces 9 create opposite and equal reactions (forces 10) moving the ship forwards and the fuel exhausts are pushed by forces 9 back into the combustion chambers and reused and the cycle repeats itself. The midship to aft panels are pushed back into position moving the ship slightly backwards (forces 11) and aft panels when moved back to their starting position (forces 12). Forces 1 & 2 cancel each other, left and right forces 4 cancel each other, forces 3 & 5 cancel each other, forces 6 & 9 cancel each other, left and right forces 8 cancel each other, forces 11 & 12 cancel each other, but forces 7 & 10 (that move the ship forwards) aren't cancelled. To figure the mass of a dual reusable fuel transit drive take the percentage multiplier for the ship and add to it 4% before multiplying. For example a WarShip transit drive has a multiplier of 6%. 6% plus 4% equals 10%.

________forward bulkhead____________________
_____midship bulkhead_______________________
/7***__|8>__|*12*************12*|__<8***7*\
/*^*/*******|*11*|**********|11*|******\*^*|
|*^*|*******|*10*|**********|10*|******|*^*|
|*^*|*******|**9*|__________|*9*|******|*^*|
|*^*|*******|****|****Fuel***|***|******|*^*|
|*^*|*******|*^*|=Pumps*=**|^*|*******|*^*|
|*6*|********\*1/************\1*/*******|*6*|
|***|********/*2\************/2*\*******|***|
|***|********|**|************|**|*******|***|
\***\________/**/************\**\_______/***|
\5___<4______3/**************\3___4>_____5/
________aft bulkhead_______________________
Left and right combustion chambers
Asteriks used to provide spaces.

Edited by Newtype (12/12/08 05:57 PM)
Lafeel
12/12/08 03:44 PM

Give it a rest with this reusable fuel transit drive crap, and go back to physics. As you clearly have no understanding of Newton's laws.
Newtype
12/12/08 05:54 PM

Ok I figured out what I did wrong. I only need two loops. Also, forces 9 (that move the ship backwards when the fuel is pushed back into the combustion chambers) exert opposite and equal reaction forces (10). To move the pushing panels back into position requires a small force to do so (11) making opposite and equal reaction forces (12).
http://www.gp.org
http://www.VoteSwift.org
DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lafeel
12/12/08 05:56 PM

Quote:

Ok I figured out what I did wrong. I only need two loops. Also, forces 9 (that move the ship backwards when the fuel is pushed back into the combustion chambers) exert opposite and equal reaction forces (10). To move the pushing panels back into position requires a small force to do so (11) making opposite and equal reaction forces (12).

No you did not, because you still haven't gotten it into your thick skull that it won't work, period!
Newtype
12/12/08 05:58 PM

I edited my message again indicating what forces cancel each other out and which ones aren't cancelled. Explain why my design won't work.
http://www.gp.org
http://www.VoteSwift.org
DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CrayModerator
12/13/08 03:57 PM

Quote:

Give it a rest with this reusable fuel transit drive crap, and go back to physics. As you clearly have no understanding of Newton's laws.

Lafeel, HeroChip has received some very lengthy explanations about why a closed system cannot produce thrust over the years (now approaching a decade), some of which would do a physics professor proud. It hasn't changed his mind yet. A continued argument on this topic is an exercise in futility.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
MacLeod
12/13/08 04:11 PM

Quote:

A continued argument on this topic is an exercise in futility.

It's also a wonderful example that

Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Lafeel
12/13/08 05:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lafeel, HeroChip has received some very lengthy explanations about why a closed system cannot produce thrust over the years (now approaching a decade), some of which would do a physics professor proud. It hasn't changed his mind yet. A continued argument on this topic is an exercise in futility.

Noted, which is why I'm not going to say anything more on the matter. Not as if I have the engineering expertise to prove the flaws in it. (nor would he listen even if I had that expertise, as we both know)
Zandel_Corrin
12/14/08 07:00 PM

Hey chip... this is me being serious here...

You got a simpler explination as to what you've got going on there?

I look at yours and say WTF.... where and when is the burnt fuel exiting the craft?
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Lafeel
12/14/08 07:02 PM

Quote:

Hey chip... this is me being serious here...

You got a simpler explination as to what you've got going on there?

I look at yours and say WTF.... where and when is the burnt fuel exiting the craft?

It isn't. Which is exactly why this craft fails at Newtonian physics.
Kovax
12/15/08 09:58 AM

This falls squarely into the "perpetual motion machine" and "Santa Claus is real" category. By making something so absurdly complex and convoluted that it would waste 90% of its energy in frictional and other losses, it is also supposed to lose the train of thought of whoever attempts to criticize it, thereby making it perfectly viable in the designer's eyes. Did you ever think of hooking up flying reindeer to the ship; it might actually work better than this "reusable fuel" device.

These ideas are best left for a pure space fantasy game, not sci-fi. BT may not be the most realistic futuristic simulation out there by a long shot, but we don't need someone trying to compound the problems. I suspect that the idea behind all this is to get some form of tacit "permission" to use totally ridiculous "advantages" against another player, and somehow justify it by having someone here agree with it.
Prince_of_Darkness
12/15/08 10:09 AM

Then QUIT FEEDING THE TROLL.
Zandel_Corrin
12/15/08 05:48 PM

If the waste gasses are NOT exiting the vehicle then there is no thrust..... it's that simple.

don't knock the "perpetual motion machine" as that (with the help of gravity) has been proven to work.

Using water, a turbine and a pump you can generate power with no loss of motion or extra power input.... of course it will fail after a while due to wear and tear on the pump and turbine but otherwise works well.

Of course it needs to be very big to work.... only good for powering a house or similar not a moving vehicle.

As for 'Santa'.................. Miricale on 34th st anyone?

LOLZ
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
12/16/08 10:08 PM

Quote:

If the waste gasses are NOT exiting the vehicle then there is no thrust..... it's that simple.

don't knock the "perpetual motion machine" as that (with the help of gravity) has been proven to work.

Using water, a turbine and a pump you can generate power with no loss of motion or extra power input.... of course it will fail after a while due to wear and tear on the pump and turbine but otherwise works well.

Of course it needs to be very big to work.... only good for powering a house or similar not a moving vehicle.

As for 'Santa'.................. Miricale on 34th st anyone?

LOLZ

Perpetual motion machines cant work because you have friction to account for. When anything moves you have waist heat that has to be compensated with new energy. With anything that uses gravity to use as a power source you need something that is falling and once it has fallen its no longer usable. The closes thing that has ever gotten to being a perpetual motion machine are devises that are powered my magnetism. Such ones that have been built are very small to keep the amount of waist heat down. The bigger the devise the more waist heat you will have to compensate for.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
12/16/08 10:29 PM

What is with newtype and his stupid shields?

There is no such thing as a true vacuum in space, that area is taken up by dark matter. All dark matter is, is regular everyday matter that is between stars and galaxies that can't be weighed because its not concentrated enough to be weighed like a star or planet. In a way you can think of dark matter as an atmosphere in outer space that is so thin that you cant even register it. If I remember right its believed that 99% of matter is dark matter.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
12/16/08 10:59 PM

Donkey, mate, a lot of people have tried to convince him of the folly of this whole thing, and done it with far better reasoning than either you (no offense) nor I, can use, and it never fails, he ignores it.

All we can do is pretend he doesn't exist.
Zandel_Corrin
12/17/08 05:38 PM

Well i'm not sure if you'd call it perpetual motion but you have this:

A large water tank at the top of a pipe droping down using gravity. A turbine that will be turned by the water being dropped by the gravity. A tank and A pump at the bottom powered by the turbine pumping the water back up to the tank at the top to start the whole thing again.

This system has been proven to work and produce more power then is required to power the pump thus allowing other devices to be powered.... no fuel or other input is required except regular maintenance on the pump and eventually the turbine as well.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Kovax
12/18/08 09:38 AM

Sorry, but the turbine and pump deal has long been proven NOT to work unless you provide some source of external power. The friction of the turbine, the pump, and water through the pipes all create losses of energy, so there is less power available than what is needed to push the water back up to the top of the tank. Granted, with a low-loss pump and turbine, you could probably use the stored kinetic energy of the elevated water to push 90% of the water back to the top, and let the 10% trickle away un-noticed. That means, with a large tank, you could recirculate most of that large volume of water 10 times or so over a period of several days before the system would start running out of water and power, which is enough to LOOK like a "perpetual motion machine".

There are other ways to capitalize on magnetic energy, which rapidly begins to de-magnetize the magnets, "salinity engines" which work on the differences of salt in two bodies of water and gradually make them the same, or gravitational energy through tidal forces, etc., but those all still require some source of external power (usually the sun) or a replacable power storage cell (magnets, etc.).

Of course, you can convert matter to energy through nuclear reactions, which is about the closest thing we've come up with to a PMM.
Newtype
12/18/08 03:14 PM

Quote:

Noted, which is why I'm not going to say anything more on the matter. Not as if I have the engineering expertise to prove the flaws in it. (nor would he listen even if I had that expertise, as we both know)

Cray, call me Newtype. If you're so convinced that my reusable fuel transit drive won't work, then explain why it can't. And Lafeel I ask you to do the same I am willing to read what you have to say.

Quote:

Perpetual motion machines cant work because you have friction to account for. When anything moves you have waist heat that has to be compensated with new energy. With anything that uses gravity to use as a power source you need something that is falling and once it has fallen its no longer usable. The closes thing that has ever gotten to being a perpetual motion machine are devises that are powered my magnetism. Such ones that have been built are very small to keep the amount of waist heat down. The bigger the devise the more waist heat you will have to compensate for.

His Most Royal Highass Donkey, the friction is the gases moving against the return pipes as the gases travel through those pipes. Heat is dissipated via heat sinks. The power source is the ship's power plant (it heats up the fuel in the combustion chambers to become gases).

Quote:

Zandel Corrin, The waste gases that go through the exhaust nozzles are redirected so they cancel each other's opposite and equal reactions, but when those gases impact the midship bulkhead they push the ship forward.

Take for example a fuel tank that explodes. The fuel tank (a closed container) somehow explodes perhaps due to someone leaving a robot inside that fuel tank that ignites the fuel with an electric spark and oxygen filled cannister opening. The fuel inside that fuel tank explosion explodes pushing the fuel tank pieces in many directions. But what I did in my resuable fuel transit drive design was have return pipes redirect the fuel coming out of the combustion chamber nozzles through curved return pipes. Those of you who are responding need to read what I typed earlier about the curved return pipes.

And perpetual motion machines do exist - there's a book here at the library called "Perpetual Motion: The History of an Obsession" that has perpetual motion machines listed. If you want an example of a perpetual motion machine take for example two magnets that repel each other on wheels (to reduce friction) that are rerepelled by other magnets to return to their starting positions, and while being repelled and rerepelled the inner two magnets turn gears to turn two more magnets (six magnets total in this machine) to generate electricity.
Zandel_Corrin
12/18/08 05:47 PM

I still have one question that needs clearing up before anything else....

Where do the waste gasses exit the ship?

They can't stay there or you get nothing cause there is no space for new gasses to travel too.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Kovax
12/19/08 10:08 AM

Not to burst your imaginary bubble or anything, Newtype, but the process of redirecting the gases to face the ship's bulkhead will create another thrust vector as the turning gasses push against the sides of the pipe. The impact against the bulkhead will CANCEL that thrust. Net sum of all vectors = 0, ALWAYS. You only get a net thrust by expelling a small amount of mass on a vector opposite that of your intended direction, unless you use magnetic attraction or repulsion, which work one step removed but ultimately follow the same rules in the end.

In your explosion scenario, the forces EXITING the fuel tank through the return pipes will cancel the energy of the returning gasses. In short, they will also attempt to become outlets, cancel out the redirected forces, and ultimately have no effect.

The "perpetual motion" magnet wheel gizmo "eats" magnets, and rather rapidly demagnetizes them. It doesn't generate more energy than you put in, since the energy it takes to re-magnetize the magnets is greater than what it produces. It is an engine that uses magnets as "fuel", not a perpetual motion machine, and whoever wrote that book is obviously not a scientist, engineer, physicist, or anyone else with any technical qualifications; just a writer/dreamer with a lot of silly ideas as inherently unworkable as your own. There are also numerous books on Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and other concepts equally far beyond the realms of physics and reality.

You really don't get the underlying physics principles, do you? I still think that flying reindeer would be a more practical propulsion system for your ship, or at least a more believable one. Besides, the miniature would look really different from your run-of-the-mill starship.
Newtype
12/19/08 12:24 PM

Kovak, I understand what you're saying. I overcomplicated the previous design. Here, this revised version should work.

Revised Dual Reusable Fuel Transit Drive

This type of transit drive should work by reusing the fuel in two loops. Fuel is pumped into the left and right combustion chambers. Next the fuel provides thrust for the spacecraft, four action forces numbered 1 and two reaction forces numbered 2 causing the ship to have a temporary net movement of zero. The left and right aft exhausts then move along the inner left and right aft curves of the return pipes creating two forces (numbered 3) that move the ship forwards (the left and right forces of 3 cancel each other out). The left and right exhausts then move along the return pipes and hit the ends of the return pipes at midship bulkhead with gas forces numbered 4 moving the ship forwards. Now, the pushing panels (forces 5) move the gases left & right to where they meet gas forces 1. Next, panel forces 6 push the gases (1 & 4 gas forces) back into the combustion chambers exerting an opposite and equal reaction (forces 7) on the ship pushing it forwards. Then panel forces 6 are slowly pushed back into position by forces 8 moving the ship a little bit backwards.

Forces 1 & 2 cancel each other, forces 3 & 4 are not cancelled, left and right forces 5 cancel each other, forces 6 & 7 cancel each other, forces 8 & 9 cancel each other. If any of you want to continue explaining why this design won't work, then explain what forces cancel forces 3 & 4, otherwise please say my design can work. To figure the mass of a dual reusable fuel transit drive take the percentage multiplier for the ship and add to it 4% before multiplying. For example a WarShip transit drive has a multiplier of 6%. 6% plus 4% equals 10%.

|4^**__|5>__**9**|***********9***__<5|*^4*|
|*^*|*******|*8**|**********|*8*|******|*^*|
|*^*|*******|*7^*|**********|^7*|*****|*^*|
|*^*|*******|**6*|__________|*6*|******|*^*|
|*^*|*******|****|****Fuel***|***|******|*^*|
|*^*|*******|*^*|=Pumps*=**|^*|*******|*^*|
|*^*|********\^1/***********\1^/*******|*^*|
|***|********/**\************/**\*******|***|
*\3___________2/**************\2_________4/

How do two north poles demagnetize each other when they repel each other? I thought such permanent bar magnets would stay permanent.

Edited by Newtype (12/19/08 12:55 PM)
Kovax
12/19/08 04:46 PM

Besides the obvious failure due to the violation of the basic principle that "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction", there is another huge problem with the design. You are attempting to put the burnt waste gasses back into the tank and call it "fuel". Sorry, but it only burns once.

In your example, the vector of the expanding gasses is changed at both 3 and 4, which will cause them to negate each other in the up/down axis, while 2 and 3 will cancel each other in a left/right axis. This will only work until the gas expands to fill the system, then it will merely "pressurize", with no net thrust effect unless you vent the gasses somehow. You also only need half the system, the left and right chambers are redundant, and will do absolutely nothing equally well, whether you have one or two.

Magnets are fine sitting there, but the idea behind a magnetic engine is that you pass the magnetic fields by each other, which causes some degradation due to the interaction where the magnetic flux lines cross. Just sitting, there is no energy gain or loss, and the system is consistent with the laws of physics. As with the above design, if nothing comes out or goes in, there is no action.

Remember: 186,000 miles per second, it's not just a good idea, it's the law.
Newtype
12/19/08 05:53 PM

I'm not convinced there is always an opposite and equal reaction to every action. Take for example a brick thrown at a typical brick wall - sure it'll bounce off (opposite and equal reaction), but a brick thrown at a glass window will smash its way through it (no opposite and no equal reaction) due to weak construction. The burnt waste gases placed in the combustion chambers are simply heated again to expand and push (actions) that provide thrust.

The gases at 3 do not go towards the aft part of the ship; they curve pushing the ship slightly forwards at 3 and go towards the midship bulkhead to push the midship bulkhead forwards at 4. So 3 and 4 don't cancel each other out; they're both heading towards the forward part of the ship to push it forwards. No I need both combustion chambers so when the gases are pushed left and right (5) their left and right actions cancel each other out preventing the ship from wiggling left and right.

How do magnetic lines of flux (north and opposing north lines) degrade magnetic fields?
Prince_of_Darkness
12/19/08 11:22 PM

Quote:

Newtype said:
I'm not convinced blah blah blah Put up or shut up blah blah blah

There; I fixed your post.
Lafeel
12/20/08 12:37 AM

Let me put this in a way even a idiot will understand.

Newton's third law, the one mentioned there above, is not some cockamany unproved theory like the ones you hear about how the universe began, or what's at the bottom of a black hole, but a fact

Unless you are playing a game that uses some magical hand wavium technology to get around this, then you have to abide by that law, and guess what? Battletech does not have any such technology.

unsurprisingly the post above is aimed at Newtype, not PoD.

Edited by Lafeel (12/20/08 12:39 AM)
Fang
12/20/08 07:07 AM

Um, if a brick hits a glass window, there is an equal and opposite reaction. It is just a different reaction than the brick hitting the brick wall. It is kind of ignorant to assume that the reaction will be the same for every action across the board. If that were the case, why are my fingers not flying off my keyboard as I attempt to type this.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Newtype
12/20/08 08:30 AM

Rerevised Dual Reusable Fuel Transit Drive

This type of transit drive should work by reusing the fuel in two loops. Fuel is pumped into the left and right combustion chambers. Next the fuel provides thrust for the spacecraft, four action forces numbered 1 and two reaction forces numbered 2 causing the ship to have a temporary net movement of zero. The left and right aft exhausts then move along the inner left and right aft curves of the return pipes creating two forces (numbered 3) that move the ship forwards (the left and right forces of 3 cancel each other out). The left and right exhausts then move along the return pipes and hit the ends of the return pipes at midship bulkhead with gas forces numbered 4 moving the ship forwards. Now, the pushing panels (forces 5) move the gases left & right to where they reenter the combustion chambers.

Forces 1 & 2 cancel each other, forces 3 & 4 are not cancelled, left and right forces 5 cancel each other. If any of you want to continue explaining why this design won't work, then explain what forces cancel forces 3 & 4, otherwise please say my design can work. Given how that forces 2 & 3 are curved I wonder if they cancel each other out and that forces 1 & 4 aren't cancelled. To figure the mass of a dual reusable fuel transit drive take the percentage multiplier for the ship and add to it 4% before multiplying. For example a WarShip transit drive has a multiplier of 6%. 6% plus 4% equals 10%.

|4^**__|5>__|Lcom|*********|Rcom|__<5|*^4*|
|*^*|*******|bus*|**********|bus*|******|*^*|
|*^*|*******|tion*|**********|tion*|******|*^*|
|*^*|*******|cham|_________|cham|******|*^*|
|*^*|*******|ber*|****Fuel***|ber*|******|*^*|
|*^*|*******|*^*|=Pumps*=**|*^*|******|*^*|
|*^*|********\^1/***********\1^/*******|*^*|
|***|********/**\************/**\*******|***|
*\3___________2/**************\2_________4/

No there's not an opposite and equal reaction when a brick smashes through a window. If there was an opposite and equal reaction, then the brick would bounce off that window in a direction opposite to which it was thrown and equal in how far it was thrown. Since it doesn't bounce off but goes through the window, Newton's third law is not entirely accurate.
MaiShirunaiispretty
12/20/08 03:37 PM

First, Newtype if you're reading this, then see my reply to your suicide message, pleeeeeeeease. And second, I don't know much about physics but I do believe we should give Newtype the benefit of the doubt (at least for his/her third try). I have built a model battery powered plastic box raft made out of a plastic box that uses two small electric fans, two curved plastic pipes, and a wooden block. Each of those fans blows air through a curved pipe and the air from both pipes bumps into the wooden block to move the raft forward. I wouldn't be concerned about this "rerevised reusable fuel transit drive" becoming official rules - WizKids doesn't accept fanmade rules and if they did, it would probably be considered experimental rules only given how that it's not apparently been actually made in real life.
Lafeel
12/20/08 04:56 PM

Give him the benefit of the doubt? Hell no. Unlike you I have actually read some of the bull crap he's written before, and I can tell you he's not improved. (and if this so called magic drive would work, it'd set new records in in efficiency)
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 47760

Contact Admins Sarna.net