Arachnid Main Battlemech

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Karagin
03/05/14 12:36 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
And your using of the term boy was pure flame bait. And the question was a fair one based on your theories of design and how you keep telling us that using certain things is a must have thing. If you want to view it as hostile then hey enjoy that. But it was simple question.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
03/05/14 12:45 AM

I was going to use "bro" but I remembered the other post.

And all-but-asking if I am an **** when I lose because I don't like materials easily used for improvement not being used as such is improper.

Had it been a statement there'd be a lack of foundation for it.
Retry
03/05/14 06:01 PM

Someone asked about terrain at some point. I'll answer as follows:The more rugged the terrain, the better the Arachnid fares.
CrayModerator
03/05/14 06:06 PM

Quote:
Why would I play a computer based game that is NOT the board game? Oh wait I wouldn't since its' not the official game thus not something to worry about.

Karagin, what are the major differences between the rules encoded in MegaMek and the rules of Total Warfare?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
03/05/14 06:06 PM

Okay and how pray tell does it do better in rough terrain over the other battlemechs?
Karagin

Karagin
03/05/14 06:07 PM

Cray first MegaMek is NOT an official product, second see the first point, enough said on that.
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 06:13 PM

1:Quad mech. Any terrain that causes a PSR rolls, such as moving backwards over a hill(alternate rule), is easier to hit due to the quad modifier.

2:Jump Jets.

And as far as I know, there are *no* major differences between rules encoded in MM and the rules of TW. If there is, it can be reported as a bug and it will be hastily fixed as long as it's not a naval unit rule.

Edited by Retry (03/05/14 06:14 PM)
Karagin
03/05/14 06:16 PM

Okay following on the quad.

As for MegaMek again IT IS NOT an official CGL product so it is not something that is even worth falling back on since it's not official and thus irreverent to be used a source of rules or anything else.
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 06:16 PM

I'm not using it as a source of rules.

No one is using it as a source of rules.
Karagin
03/05/14 06:22 PM

Yet you keep falling back on it and harping about it, and since you have said many times it's the only way you part take in BT etc...it is NOT Battletech, Battletech is a board/table top game with miniatures and dice and sheets to mark the damage, not a computer game.

So telling us it follows the current rules or the old rules doesn't really matter since it is NOT Battletech.
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 06:27 PM

What's sad is that you can't get over your prejudice to play even one game.
Karagin
03/05/14 06:31 PM

I did play the game, back long time ago, and I found I would rather play face to face.
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 06:32 PM

In which case, if you and I want to play, you would have no choice.

And back a long time ago, the game has changed a lot since a long time ago, your experiences with it are outdated.
Karagin
03/05/14 06:37 PM

See I don't follow your not wanting to play against real people face to face. And given that it didn't impress me then, I doubt it will now.
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 06:41 PM

"I doubt"

All your theoretical statements of all my mechs and you take your own word as gospel. It must be convenient that you don't have to acknowledge you don't know and would have to try something out to know.

See, I don't follow the fact that you find it odd that I'm not willing to travel across the country to play a game of Battletech.
Karagin
03/05/14 06:52 PM

How far is cross country Retry? I have traveled many a times to Michigan from Texas to play BT, or to Virginia or Florida as well as Colorado.

What theoretical statements? You base your designs on a non-official computer and then you tell us that the designs we post will only work if we follow your theorems of using components to be critical hit sponges cause that works for you in a non-official computer game. When we point out that is not the case and that many folks find that to be on the same level of power gamers or munchkins you get upset and accuse myself of attacking you because I don't just take your idea and use it. Then when you tell us you don't play Battletech per-say but instead play a fan made non-official spin on the game called MegaMek and we point out that it shows in your designs you get upset as well.

And yes I don't follow why you would be unwilling to go to a gaming convention in another state with the chance to meet fellow fans of Battletech as well as the other fun things that go on at a convention. The chance to meet folks and you might find out that a few cities over there is a group who is willing to travel to play the game with you or vise versa. I guess that it's easier to sit at computer and play a game and such then it is to play against other people.
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 07:02 PM

"I doubt" is you theoretically assuming that due to past out-of-date experiences

I play battletech by the medium of MegaMek. You have a problem with it. I have a problem with traveling across the country to play a damn Battletech game. Most sane people would agree that issue trumps your prejudice against any and all things unofficial.

And I never said they wouldn't work, I said they would work better, and you said no with a very poor explanation why it would not.

I never accused you of attacking you until you "asked" whether I attacked my opponents when losing due to being butthurt.
Karagin
03/05/14 07:11 PM

And if you think a question is an attack well then your comment of "boy" was just as much of an attack.

I said that traveling to play the game is better then playing online. I also said it allows you to meet new people and enjoy time playing a game that you both like and could led to new friendships. Or are you against that?

And actually you did say that it would not work because no one would not use DHS if they had them vs SHS even though the mechs didn't warrant the DHS since it's heat was not an issue to start with. You went to site asinine reasons of engine hits, or hot worlds etc...as your sole justification. The only poor counter was your idea of why they need to be there on top your counter they can act as critical hit sponges again that falls into the catogery of power gamers and munchkin land, hence why I asked you if you only play to win and if failing that you go after you opponents doing as much damage to their stuff as you can just to prove your stuff can take on the other side, which some how translates into a personal attack on you, where in that question did I attack you? I asked if your theories fail once in use in the game, to your resort to melee style fighting to inflict more damage on the other side, please tell us how that translate into anything else.

And most sane people would not be so stuck on playing on line when they can play with a group people, especially at a convention where they can enjoy not only Battletech but a host of other games, find items they have been looking for, see some amazing CosPlay and meet genre legends and just have fun.
Karagin

Karagin
03/05/14 07:24 PM

But we are beating a dead horse here Retry, you won't see past your ideas as much as you say I won't so let's just move on to other things.
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 07:29 PM

"Now let me ask this Retry do you have to win at all cost when you play and if you can't win you do all you can to hurt the other side out of spite? "
That is an attack. Translations are unnecessary.

And no, I am not an **** and directly attack my adversary when I lose.

I can't play with different people. There are no groups nearby, I haven't got the time either, or the money to spend on gas. Nor do I prefer to spend one half of the game worrying about the vast amount of game rules, a quarter of the time recording results on the

That's before adding time due to using optional rules and double blind.

I've tried other tabletop games, less complex ones, and I found them to be overwhelming. No, tabletop won't be an option for me.
Retry
03/05/14 07:33 PM

And I won't move on because, first of all, that post I quoted offended me quite a bit, secondly, you said my Arachnid was no match for a timberwolf, and thirdly, I'd like to see you try.

But you don't, apparently.
Karagin
03/05/14 07:34 PM

Not everyone uses the optional rules or double blind rules, see you missed the part that before playing both side agree on what rules are being used.

And no the question was not an attack, YOUR calling me "boy" WAS an attack. There vast differences there. A question about your play style is not an attack.
Karagin

Karagin
03/05/14 07:37 PM

Try what Retry? MegaMek? I have already told you, I won't play a non-official game, and not one that can be modified by the players, regardless of your claims that it's not easily done, point is it can be done.

And yes I do believe your design can be beaten by a Timber Wolf ran by a decent player. And after explaining to you since you feel you are owed things, I am done with this current topic, it is time to move on to other designs and topics.
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 07:44 PM

The question mark is a thin veil which unraveled says something along the line of "I think you act like an **** when you lose".

Fine, let me rephrase that. "prove it". Not like you will either way, you're too stubborn to even try out the program.
Karagin
03/05/14 07:46 PM

You are right, I don't like to waste my time on things like MegaMek when I can play the game face to face with other people.
Karagin

ghostrider
03/05/14 08:25 PM

out of date experiences are sometimes the only thing to keep you from repeating bad mistakes. More then a few people have lost their computer information to a virus they got from a website, get their system fixed, then get it again from the same website.
There are more then a few games that have viruses and trojans built directly into the game.
Utorrent had problems where even if you said don't share, it used your system as a server.

Try using the del.* in dos. It deletes command.com right off the bat, screwing your entire system up. There was alot of money made by techs because of that simple command. A couple of shareware items had that as their first line in it.

The dhs excuse is poor because the heavy mech designs don't run cold. They don't have extra heatsinks incase you are on a hot planet. Saying you care about your pilots, but yet using the compact cockpits contridicts that possibility.

Now as for not using megamek, I would say a single game might work, but make sure you record the whole thing so when you have a limb blown off critical and the limb that is gone keeps firing, then you have something to say.
I have had issues with game where I can not target an enemy, but yet he had full sight of me in a large unit, not an infantry unit. He was beside a building, while I was too.
Retry
03/05/14 09:25 PM

Small cockpits you mean?

Small pilots.

I rarely use standard cockpits on quads, it is a waste of a ton. And it is possible to use that ton to armor the cockpit from a critical hit. I did not in this case but you get the idea, an uncomfortable pilot is better than a dead pilot.

Also Karagin, the problem with your statement is that there is no chance for us to play face to face. Regardless you refuse to even TRY it, showing your prejudice.
Karagin
03/05/14 09:29 PM

Retry, I don't have prejudice, you are speculating and forcasting your ideas on to what I have said. Again I have said I will not play a non-official fan made computer game, nothing said I would not try new things, just not something like MegaMek having tried it once and found it to be less then impressive and rather dull. If I want to fight battles against an AI I will play Steel Panthers or similar games. If I want to play Battletech I will play the board game with other people.

And you do realize that your TC with the Pulse weapons on this mech are pretty pointless given that they two aren't as munchkined anymore?
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 10:01 PM

That's great, but Megamek can do human v human as well.

"nothing said I would not try new things, just not"

Just nothing. You are unwilling to try MM, a new thing, for no reason other than whining that "it's unofficial therefore irrelevant!"
This was never more apparent than when Cray himself asked you whether there was any major rule differences between MM and TW rules. Your answer was "it's unofficial". It does not answer the question at all.

Your prejudice is based on it being unofficial. Just admit it.

I know they can't take aimed shots. I don't care. I never use aimed shots except at immobile opponents. The push across the bell graph of the to-hit numbers justifies it alone.
Karagin
03/05/14 10:10 PM

You are right I don't like it cause it is unofficial.

They can't use the pulse bonus and the TC bonus either, it's not a -3 to anything anymore either.
Karagin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 134 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 24651

Contact Admins Sarna.net