Arachnid Main Battlemech

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Retry
03/05/14 10:12 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Since pulse lasers are direct fire and pulse, they gain benefits like the direct fire weapons. It is a -3.
Retry
03/05/14 10:15 PM

But being pulse weapons they can't aim at specific locations.
Retry
03/05/14 10:22 PM

TW page 143.
Karagin
03/05/14 10:34 PM

For your group what is the average pilot/gunnery skill?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
03/05/14 10:37 PM

Irrelevant.
Karagin
03/05/14 10:41 PM

Yes it is Relevant. What is the average piloting and gunnery for your alternate universe group?
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 10:43 PM

3/4 clans, 4/5 IS
Karagin
03/05/14 10:47 PM

So they are 3 pilot and 4 gunner if I am reading it correctly.
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 10:49 PM

Yes.
Karagin
03/05/14 10:53 PM

So with this mech they are effectively a 1 gunner.
Karagin

Retry
03/05/14 10:54 PM

With a IS pilot it's effectively a 1 gunner.
With a clan pilot a 0 gunner.

Excluding the flamer ofc.
ghostrider
03/06/14 12:21 AM

Let me guess they changed that in the core rule as well? Still.

I would use pulse with tc because you can target certain areas of a mech when needed.
There does seem to be little change in alot of the units retry has for his crossroads units. They all have large pulse lasers. Without clan tech, his designs tend to fall short on range. The double heatsinks would kill some of them as well because of the crits they take. I have not seen him using innersphere double heat sinks to bleed off crits in the big mechs, or the small ones either.

The used of electronics is why he has to use innnersphere tech. I would like to see designs that are not based on crossroads for normal use.

I do find some of the designs he has interesting, but I dislike the mixing of the techs so their is no downside.
I could see atn's tanks working well with retry's mechs.
Retry
03/06/14 12:51 AM

Pulse lasers can NOT aim at specific parts.

Yes, the three units have little change other than overall role. The salti, micro, and arachnid have 1 thing in common that lead to this:They jump. To retain accuracy while jumping they use cLPLs.

Then there is the Nephilidae that does not jump but has lower accuracy due to the VSS side effects.

I have posted the SCP 5P, the Cyclopes tank, the UM 80b, though people do not find them noteworthy. Though I do not use them myself; I tend to get em mixed with the canon scorps or urbies. For "normal" use I am content with canon designs.
ghostrider
03/06/14 01:37 AM

that may be a blessing in disguise. If they were being argued over, then someone has found them horrible for some reason.
Lately I seem to be the first person talking about alot of designs, and have tried to step back from it. Most of the first responces are possible things to change or make a variant with. Some are complete don't like this or that.

Some of the issue is with people not liking the drifting from the rules. They tend to look at one or two things and say it's junk.
I dislike a lot of the newer stuff as it seems to be leading to over complication and really screwing with the basics of the game. But that is just the way I feel.
For some, they love it. It gives them a chance to do things they couldn't before.

as for the skills of pilots, I thought it was gun/pilot skills so 3/4 was 3 gun and 4 pilot. Did they change that as well?
Karagin
03/06/14 06:22 AM

It has always been piloting skill then gunnery.
Karagin

ghostrider
03/06/14 07:19 AM

The original battle tech sheets has gunnery listed first as well as the scenario book maccarons. Some of the later scenario books reversed it.
You may want to check the older sheet. It has not always been piloting/gunnery.
Retry
03/06/14 09:21 AM

I have only heard of it gunnery/pilot
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/06/14 10:00 AM

Karagin your wrong, I suggest reading this http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Targeting_computer

The official rules state all pulse lasers can use targeting computers and add the affects. They just cant target spastic locations.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/06/14 11:41 AM

As I said, getting rid of the human element with memorizing all the rules prevent such mistakes in the first place.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/06/14 01:08 PM

And it lets you cheat all you want.

I agree with Karagin on that playing table top is the really only way to play.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/06/14 01:40 PM

Those who say that haven't played it.

Or so is the trend.
Karagin
03/06/14 05:56 PM

I check the books Donkey, all good now. Retry who says the person programing the non-official FAN made knock off game got it right to start with?
Karagin

Retry
03/06/14 05:57 PM

Are you suprised?
ghostrider
03/06/14 06:02 PM

I guess I should have been more direct with that one.

and who says that any official game is coded right? More then a few games seem to need updates to fix bugs that should never have been sent out like they were.

The gunnery/piloting thing seem to have changed with the coming of the clans. The scenario books after the clan invasion seems to be piloting/gunnery, while those before seem to run gunnery/piloting.
The record sheets from 3067 have gunnery above piloting, so I don't have an answer.
Retry
03/06/14 06:13 PM

At this point I think the problem is that he just doesn't want to play against me at all. His arguements against using my sole source of Battletech are either nonsensical or based upon "what if" scenarios which I have NEVER encountered. While my concern based on location, time, and costs is more than valid.
ghostrider
03/06/14 06:32 PM

They are not nonsensical. Some people are purist. I myself dislike alot of the experimental crap that is coming out.
I have not downloaded any mods for any games because I do not want them changing my setting to anything.

I have encountered problems with programs not doing as they are supposed to, and even worse, doing things that they were not supposed to. Even with windows 8, I have things accessing the internet that should not be, as well as accessing my system. IE 11 turns white when that happens, and even with updates shut off, windows is still updating as well as the antivirus and a few other things.

Your concerns about traveling are valid, but no moreso then trusing someone elses programming. And that isn't saying what other programs were added into it from other sources.

I have played on game that would stack 100 units on top of each other and move them as one. It would constantly change the top unit, so scrolling down the list was the only way to find the damaged one and try to finish it off. The game has degraded even further since this problem, but it does happen.
Karagin
03/06/14 06:32 PM

It not a licensed or official CGL product. Sorry but unless you are willing to play the game via the table top with all official rules and products, i.e. a mapboard (or terrain) with either the miniatures or the old school cardboard counters, each of us rolling our own dice, no dice programs, and mech sheets with the stats, a pencil to mark the sheets, then you are the one who is failing to meet the standard. You have never encountered anything because all you play is some one else's take on BT via again a non licensed fan made computer program.

As for traveling, how far are you from Texas? I am willing to travel and if things work out this year, I plan on being at GenCon. Oh wait, I forgot you think it is silly and pointless to travel to play games...guess all the folks at GenCon or Origins or really any convention be it gaming or a comic book one or a fan days kind of thing are silly for traveling to enjoy their hobbies.
Karagin

Retry
03/06/14 07:04 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

They are not nonsensical. Some people are purist. I myself dislike alot of the experimental crap that is coming out.
I have not downloaded any mods for any games because I do not want them changing my setting to anything.

I have encountered problems with programs not doing as they are supposed to, and even worse, doing things that they were not supposed to. Even with windows 8, I have things accessing the internet that should not be, as well as accessing my system. IE 11 turns white when that happens, and even with updates shut off, windows is still updating as well as the antivirus and a few other things.

Your concerns about traveling are valid, but no moreso then trusing someone elses programming. And that isn't saying what other programs were added into it from other sources.

I have played on game that would stack 100 units on top of each other and move them as one. It would constantly change the top unit, so scrolling down the list was the only way to find the damaged one and try to finish it off. The game has degraded even further since this problem, but it does happen.

The thing about cheating is nonsensical. If one does manage to modify the files(which they don't), it will be hard to conceal it from the other players, and if you do ID the cheater, it takes one more second to X out of the program. Lots less time than driving back home when you meet a less-than-amiable BT player

So you like 3025 tech? Great, MM can do that. You don't have to use the 3145 stuff when you don't want to. I'm training my "rookies" with 3025 tech. To start out simple is best, don't want to overwhelm them with clantech to begin with.

It is not as though Megamek is some shady source from the corners of the internet. I don't think I've seen a bad review of the program since ever. Not lingering over the internet, nor from any MM user I've ever encountered. Only bug reports, none of which have to do with memory wiping or any crap like that.

Again, the complaints have a weak base due to not even looking into the program at all whatsoever.
Karagin
03/06/14 07:07 PM

Did you miss the part Retry where I said I did give the game a try many years ago? I think you did in your rush to argue how great this NON-licensed, NON-official fan made computer program is.

Meanwhile your excuses as to why you can't play BT via the table top are just as weak and based on your not even being willing to try and expand your networking base and find local group of games in around your area, and a drive of an hour or two is worth it to play the game and have fun.
Karagin

Retry
03/06/14 07:15 PM

Did you miss the part Karagin where you said you gave the game a try many years ago?

In a game where it's evolution has been rapid, you may as well have played a different game.

My excuses are weak? Money and time concerns are weak excuses?

Damn, I wish I had as much spare time and money as you.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 24653

Contact Admins Sarna.net