***2nd JMInc. Invitational Design Challenge***

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
LordChaos
03/15/02 01:01 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I forgot to make sure it was specific. Cluster muntions only for the LB20-X, double fire mode on the UAC10 whenever possible.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
KamikazeJohnson
03/15/02 01:02 AM

I kinda had that in mind when I set this up...I figured a lot of people would go for 75-tonners because of the weight needed for the ACs. Replacing the Rifleman is a bit of an incentive to go lighter

Even so, there isn't exactly a "good" choice out of the stock 60-tonners in the 3025 TRO (not counting the 2750 downgrades) I guess I could have selected an Ostsol or Ostroc...
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
LordChaos
03/15/02 01:05 AM

I beg to differ. The Dragon isn't a bad 60 tonner.... it would be better with a PPC, but it's not bad.
KamikazeJohnson
03/15/02 01:29 AM

Ok...maybe I'm just a little over-tired here...but why do I keep coming up with only 73 tons here? Are the AC/5s supposed to be Ultra, or did I just miss something? *sigh*
--Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
03/15/02 08:24 AM

Alright, entry 2:

A 75-ton wonder intended for urban and site defense. It ain't fast, but it has a lot of firepower. It's twin UAC/10s deliver a lot of pain and suffering while its AC/5 enables the use of specialty ammo.

The Urban Defender is known for an unusually powerful set of torso myomers to help it twist its torso with unusual speed. More than a few too-clever light mech pilots have jumped behind the big mech only to find themselves staring down the barrel of an arm-mounted Ultra AC/10.

Urban Defender
75 tons
4 tons endosteel
10 tons 225 fusion engine
Walking: 3
Running: 5
Jumping: 0
0 tons 10 DHS
3 tons gyroscope
3 tons cockpit
14 tons armor
Head: 3 9
CT: 23 33/10
RT/LT: 16 25/7
RA/LA: 12 24
RL/LL: 16 30
26 tons 2x UAC/10 (RA/LA)
8 tons AC/5 (RT)
1 ton 2x CASE (RT/LT)
4 tons UAC/10 ammo (2 RT/LT)
2 tons AC/5 ammo (RT)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
novakitty
03/15/02 09:26 AM

I had the jump jets in the legs and one in the center torso, I also planned on cluster ammunition.
meow
KamikazeJohnson
03/15/02 12:54 PM

hehe...kewl...as long as it isn't so restrictive that everyone submits basically the same 'Mech...
--Thomas Jefferson
Hellbringer
03/15/02 04:06 PM

Cluster Ammo. I want it to be like a big shot-gun.
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
CrayModerator
03/15/02 11:29 PM

Correction: it has 14.5 tons of armor.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (03/15/02 11:52 PM)
KamikazeJohnson
03/15/02 11:43 PM

Gotcha...although you recall only standard ammo is allowed under the rules of the challenge...(other than cluster, inferno, artemis)
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
03/18/02 08:57 PM

This is just a reminder that the deadline for entries in the 2nd JMInc. Design Challenge is Wednesday, March 20, 11:00 P.M. CST (GMT -6:00). If anyone wishes to submit a design, or modify an earlier submission, please do so by the deadline.

[edit]Here are the submitted designs to date, as far as I know. If I missed any, please let me know:
ABV-8G Above-Average
AMO-101 Ammoman
ANT-5E Antedater
APC-X Apocalypse
CH-R1 Challenger
Chien
DKR-2 Drakkar
ERN-U-01 Earnest
Experimental SRB
GST-1T Gauss Triplet
H-75 Jack Hammer
HRA-4 Hydra
ICH-Y1 Ichabod
MAD Marauder
SND-BL5R Sand Blaster
TC-1X Trance Cobra
TMT-1X Torment
Urban Defender

18 submissions and counting!!!!!! Wow! Thanks all for coming out...this one should be exciting with so many entries!
--Thomas Jefferson

Edited by KamikazeJohnson (03/18/02 09:05 PM)
KamikazeJohnson
03/21/02 12:26 AM

The submission period for entry into the 2nd JMInc. Invitational Design Challenge has now ended. Thanks to all who submitted.

Testing will begin shortly and, judging by the number of entries, may take as long as two or three weeks, depending on how much free time I have. I will post *brief* highlights of the battles after each trial, as well as current scores and rankings.

Good luck to all!
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
04/01/02 10:49 PM

I was down with the flu for a while, so I haven't had a chance to do much testing to date. I hope to have the Trial 1 results by the end of the weekend, but I can't guarantee anything. Sorry to keep you waiting
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
04/04/02 12:55 AM

After many, many delays, the 2nd JMInc. Invitational Design Challenge got underway today in front of a capacity crowd. After the extensive and needlessly lavish opening ceremonies wrapped up, the first set of test designs took the field for the first trial of this challenge. One by one, the test 'Mechs (piloted by Veteran (4/3) pilots) faced off against an old Atlas with a regular (5/4) pilot. The goal of this challenge was to destroy the Atlas as quickly as possible, or, failing that, to survive for as long as possible. Here are brief highlights from the first 3 battles:

1) ICH-Y1 Ichabod [EX]
As in the first challenge, the JMInc. host exhibition entry "kicked off" the testing. (The [EX] marks the design as an exhibition 'Mech only...the host entry has no official standing in the tournament)

The Ichabod used its slight speed advantage to good effect, staying out of optimum firing range of the Atlas's weapons while keeping is good position for its own Large Lasers. However, the Atlas's pilot was in fine form, repeatedly tagging the lighter 'Mech with unlikely AC/20 hits. The Assault 'Mech's devastating autocannon dished out some internal damage to the Ichabod's Right Torso, keeping the crowd in suspense, but the greater range of the Ichabod's lasers responded in kind, coring through the Atlas's torso armour and touching off the LRM ammo, ending the fight after a brief 90 seconds.

2) ERN-U-01 Earnest
The second 'Mech on the list was the ERN-U-01 Earnest, which caused a bit of a stir with its Mini- and Maxi-Ultra ACs. However, right from the start, it was clear the Earnest meant business, while the Atlas's pilot had an embarrassing attack of the clumsies. During the first exchange of close-range fire, the Earnest's heavy AC knocked the Atlas off its feet, an occurrance that was repeated as soon as the heavier 'Mech regained its feet. After the Atlas hauled itself vertical for the second time, its own AC punched through the Earnest's torso armor, disabling the test 'Mech's lighter AC, but the Earnest, not to be outdone, slammed both shots from its UAC/20 into the Atlas's Right Torso, knocking out the Atlas's deadly main weapon. A brief ripple of laughter ran through the crowd after the exchange as both 'Mechs fell to the ground, the Earnest suffering Engine damage from the fall. Even without the AC, an Atlas is still impressive, and this one came close to finishing off the Earnest, but the Earnest's monstrous Ultra AC scored a killing blow first, destroying the Atlas's Center Torso after 9 rounds.

Thanks to TRYCORP for submitting the ERN-U-01 Earnest

3) Experimental SRB
The Experimental SRB design made its appearance third of all the test 'Mechs. The SRB had a bit of luck in its favor early on as it scored an armour-piercing hit with its AC/2 to the Atlas's Right Torso, silencing the mighty AC/20 before it could be fired once. After much dancing around, the SRB landed a hatchet blow to theAtlas's back, knocking out the LRM. Even without its two heaviest weapons, the Atlas managed to land significant damage on the elusive SRB, while the SRB picked at its heavier opponent at range, darting in occassionally to hack at the Atlas's back. After a full three minutes of this, the SRB hacked through the armour on the Atlas's rear torso, disabling the engine.

Thanks to novakitty for submitting the Experimental SRB
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
04/08/02 01:55 AM

You know, with every battle, I regain one more touch of my old respect for the venerable Atlas...I mean, the test 'Mechs spend the entire battle in abject terror of the AC/20, while the Atlas just shrugs off whatever the lighter 'Mechs throw at it, at least for a time. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. The combination of superior tech and a better pilot has so far been too much for the legendary 'Mech, but it's still a delight to watch

Day 2 Results and Battle Highlights

4) TC-1X Trance Cobra
The TC-1X Trance Cobra was the first of four test 'Mechs to take the field on the second day of competition. The test 'Mech wasted no time closing to easy weapons rangwe and inflicting heavy damage to the Left Torso of the heavier 'Mech. After a bit more careful manoevering, with the Trance Cobra making good use of its edge in speed and range, the test 'Mech rushed in to unleash a full barrage on the Atlas, hitting with everything and stripping away the last of the Atlas's Center Torso armour, while at the same tame taking internal damage to the Left Torso which knocked out one of its ER Small Lasers. The following round, the blistering laser fire from the smaller 'Mech disabled the LRM launcher in the Atlas's left side, and also caused damage to the Assault 'Mech's Engine and Gyro. Repeated small-weapons fire from the Atlas nearly destroyed the Trance Cobra's Left Torso (disabling damage due to the XL Engine), but the Gyro hit eventually took its toll, and the Atlas crashed to the ground. Freakishly, damage suffered to the Atlas's Left Leg during a failed attempt to stand removed the last of the armour from that location, and the entire limb crumpled under the 'Mech's weight. This gave the Trance Cobra the much-needed chance to bring about a speedy end to the match, and the Veteran pilot quickly moved in for a full barrage on a prone target, finishing off its helpless enemy. Trance Cobra victorious after 13 rounds.

Thanks to Psychopompous for submitting the TC-1X Trance Cobra!

5) AMO-101 AmmoMan
This was a most exciting match to watch, but the highlights are actually quite brief. The AmmoMan's long-range weaponry and abundant ammo supply was ideal for a prolonged game of Punch-the-Monkey, allowing the Atlas to respond only rarely with its fearsome Autocannon. The test 'Mech was slowly, but an early head shot with an LB 10-X slug came back to haunt the Atlas when an AC/5 slug also slammed into the head of the house 'Mech, ending the fight after only 10 rounds.

Thanks to Hellbringer for submitting the AMO-101 AmmoMan!

6) CH-1R Challenger
It is always an awe-inspiring sight to see a legendary machine like an Atlas completely dominated in a toe-to-toe slugfest, but it is equally impressive to see how the Atlas still manages to be a threat right to the bitter end. Spectators were treated to a battle of epic proportions as the CH-1R Challenger faced off against the house Atlas in the third contest of the day, and dismantled it, piece by piece.

Since both 'Mechs mounted an abundance of close-range weaponry, both quickly charged in to slug it out in close. After just under a minute of fire exchange, the Challenger tagged the Atlas's Left Arm with an AC/20 slug for the second time, and the resulting internal damage removed the entire arm. Shortly after, more concentrated damage to the left side destroyed the Atlas's Left Torso (destroying the heavier 'Mech's two missile racks), while return fire penetrated the armor of the Challenger's Left Torso. With the heavier 'Mech reeling from massive damage, and sensing a quick kill, the Challenger's pilot risked shutdown, unleashing an Alpha Strike that removed the Atlas's Right Torso (silencing the murderous AC/20) and stripped away the remaining Center Torso armor. The final shot from the Atlas's AC nearly tore off the Challenger's Left Leg, and the final shot from the RA-mounted laser pierced the test 'Mech's Center Torso armor, damaging the engine. While the Challenger held fire on all weapons but the AC/20 in an effort to moderate its skyrocketing heat level, the Atlas turned its back, not to flee, but rather to bring its only remaining weapons to bear, as well as to present its only armored torso location to its tormentor. Despite inflicting rather frightening damage with its rear-mounted lasers, the Atlas was unable to disable its more heavily-armed opponent before the lighter 'Mech ripped through the rear torso armor, destroying the Atlas in a mere 100 seconds.

Thanks to Nightmare for submitting the CH-1R Challenger!

7) TMT-1X Torment
This matchup had all the marking of an exciting battle, pitting the brute force of the Atlas against the much faster Torment, and the spectators were not disappointed. The battle was bad for the Torment from the start, as the Atlas's pilot inflicted a terrifying amount of damage under some very unlikely circumstances. This fantastic display of marksmanship ripped off the Torment's Left Arm and destroyed a Jump Jet in the test 'Mech's Left Torso. The Atlas pilot's brilliance finally wore off, however, allowing the Torment to inflict significant unanswered damage. A lucky shot from the Atlas knocked out one of the Torment's torso-mounted lasers, but an answering shot from the Torment caused internal damage to the Head of the Assault 'Mech, and the heavy damage knocked both 'Mechs to the ground. After more dodging around, the Torment's pilot risked closing to physical attack range in an effort to end the fight quickly. The risk paid off, as the Torment's kick inflicted internal damage to the Atlas's Left Leg, while the Atlas was unable to hit its speedy foe. The following round, concentrated damage to the Torment's Right Leg damaged the hip, but the damage had no effect, as the Torment's return fire finally found the Atlas's LRm ammo, putting the obnoxious brute down for good. The Torment wins after 10 rounds.

Thaks to Psychopompous for submitting the TMT-1X Torment!
--Thomas Jefferson
TRYCORP
04/08/02 01:14 PM

So does that meen my mech did good???
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
KamikazeJohnson
04/08/02 02:50 PM

I would say so...fastest kill so far, and a clean kill...no ammo or head shot to speed thing up.
--Thomas Jefferson
novakitty
04/08/02 06:07 PM

Do I get extra for longest match so far?
meow
LordChaos
04/08/02 09:07 PM

"I mean, the test 'Mechs spend the entire battle in abject terror of the AC/20, "

I'll have you know that my APC-X Apocolypse won't be doing that.. it's designed to get right up and in your face... so if the pilot running him doesn't do that... fire him.
KamikazeJohnson
04/08/02 09:11 PM

Well, the Challenger's pilot did that, with quite a similar weapon config, and he cringed whenever the Atlas had a target number less than 10. No matter what your 'Mech is designed for, that weapon is scary! The Atlas, OTOH, just shrugs it off.
--Thomas Jefferson
TRYCORP
04/08/02 09:50 PM

Neato
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
LordChaos
04/09/02 03:01 AM

You just need to find a pilot with a set of realy big brass ones to drive the APC-X

KamikazeJohnson
04/10/02 08:57 PM

Ok, I just had a situation that I hadn't planned on, and since I didn't cover it in the original rules description, I'd appreciate some input on how I should score it.

I'll be scoring the first trial as I did in the original challenge: the 'Mech destroyed fastest receives 0 points, other losing 'Mechs receive 1 point for each turn by which they outlasted the first, the winning 'Mech which takes the longest receives 2 points more than the longest-lasting loser, every other winning 'Mech receives 1 point extra for each turn less it took to win. That clear?

The problem is, I just had both 'Mechs destroyed in the same turn.

Should I:
a) score it as a win normally?
b) score it as a loss?
c) score all such cases equally between the winning and losing 'Mechs?
d) score it as a win, but with a penalty (say 3 points)?
e) score it as a loss, but with a bonus?
f) do whatever I want, and you all promise not to be bitter if you don't like the result
g) any other suggestions? (please post in detail)

Just trying to be fair to all involved :-)
I'll go with whatever is the top choice once I finish the trial 1 testing...should be in the next couple days.

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 07:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

--Thomas Jefferson
LordChaos
04/11/02 01:40 AM

I would score it at the average between what it would have been as a "win" and what it would have been as a "loss".

Ether that, or run the game again.
KamikazeJohnson
04/11/02 01:07 PM

>>I would score it at the average between what it would have been as a "win" and what it would have been as a "loss". <<

Hmmm...interesting idea...might be a little extra work to calculate the score, since the scores are determined by relative performance, but I could work something out

Anyone who likes this idea, please say so
--Thomas Jefferson
Bob_Richter
04/11/02 01:54 PM

so.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
NathanKell
04/11/02 05:13 PM

so...aking up bandwidth, I'll add my affirmation
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
TRYCORP
04/11/02 09:59 PM

If it was my mech I say: AUTO WIN!
But otherwise: AUTO LOSE!

heheheh just kiddin' around, I voted for whatever you want to do and I won't be angry =)

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
KamikazeJohnson
04/15/02 03:42 AM

Final Trial 1Results and Highlights

First thing, concerning the scoring of a double-death result: LordChaos made a good suggestion, and received a couple positive responses, so I'll use his suggestion of averaging the scores for a win and loss. Which is only fair, I suppose, since it was his 'Mech!

I have to say I was surprised by how consistent the battle lengths were...I fully expected a wider spread, but as it is, most of the 'Mechs are packed together at the top!

Eleven test 'Mechs took the field in this very busy day of competition, completing the first of three trials in the 2nd JMInc. Invitational Design Challenge. Once again, the test 'Mechs dominated the poor Atlas for the most part, although the older 'Mech managed a couple victories. However, a stunning upset puts the most unlikely of 'Mechs solidly in the lead after this trial.

8) ABV-8G Above-Average
The tactics for the test 'Mech in this match were fairly simple: keep at range and under cover for as long as possible. The ABV-8G Above-Average did just that, and the results were, while not exactly Awesome, at least...you know

The test 'Mech drew first blood early, piercing the Atlas's Center Torso armor, damaging the engine and gyro. The following volley found the Atlas's head with a PPC and a single LB 2-X cluster pellet, nearly destroying the house 'Mech's head, but failing to inflict any critical damage. After about a minute of combat, the Above-Average, after suffering internal damage to the Right Leg, stripped the last of the armor from the larger 'Mech's Center Torso and damaged the engine shielding again before being forced out of the trees and onto open ground. In spite of gyro damage and relentless pounding from the ABV-8G's PPCs, the Atlas refused to fall to the ground until finally suffering internal damage to its Right Leg which damaged an actuator. However, the Atlas immediately regained its feet to continue the fight. The following volley ripped off the batterd Atlas's Left Arm, toppling the Atlas to the ground again. The Atlas's pilot stunned spectators by once again immediately rising to its feet, but an impressive display of piloting skill was not enough to turn the tide of the battle. The Atlas's heavy autocannon managed to remove the test 'Mech's Right Leg, but at the same time, a blistering volley of PPC fire slammed into the Atlas's torso, damaging the engine beyond its tolerance level. The Above-Average wins after only 10 rounds. Above Average, but still not Awesome

Thanks to NathanKell for submitting the ABV-8G Above-Average, the not-quite-Awesome 'Mech!

9) ANT-5E Antedater
Defying expectations somewhat, the Antedater dominated this battle right from the start. The Atlas inflicted internal damage early (to the Antedater's Left Arm), silencing thetest 'Mech's UAC/5, but far more damage was dealt out to the Atlas. After 9 rounds of dancing around and picking at the Atlas's armor, the Antedater finally penetrated, ripping off the Atlas's Right Arm and scoring heavy internal damage to the Center Torso which damaged the Engine (twice) and the gyro. Damage from the resulting fall knocked out the AC/20, finished off the engine, and, for good measure, set off the remaining AC ammo. The Atlas vanishes in a flash after 10 rounds.

Thanks to NathanKell for submitting the ANT-5E Antedater!

10) APC-X Apocalypse
A knock-down, drag-out slugfest right from the start, the APC-X's pilot fearlessly staring down the barrel of the Atlas's killer autocannon. The critical hits started coming early, with the Atlas suffering an Engine hit after only 4 rounds and the Apocalypse taking damage to an arm actuator at the same time. The Atlas took severe pounding from the test 'Mech's mismatched ACs, toppling to the ground 3 times without suffering any more crippling damage, and in the meantime the Atlas stripped away large sections of the test 'Mech's armor. With the Apocalypse reeling from a crushing AC blow to the Right Torso, the Atlas closed to physical attack range, but the iron-nerved APC-X pilot landed a solid AC shot that destroyed the Atlas's Left Torso. The Atlas's reply was an AC hit which gutted the lighter 'Mech's Right Torso, silencing the Ultra AC/10. By this point, both 'Mechs were in tatters, but both pilots smelled a kill, so neither gave a thought to backing off. As it turned out, both got their wish: an AC/20 shell to the torso finished off the Apocalypse, but the final LB 20-X (cluster) blast landed 8 critical hits to the Atlas's Center Torso, knocking out just about every vital component left. Double-death after 100 seconds.

Thanks to LordChaos for submitting the APC-X Apocalypse!

11) Chien
This battle was definitely a tactical triumph for the Chien's pilot, assisted by wretced marksmanship on the part of the Atlas's pilot. The Chien manoevered carefully, taking advantage of superior speed and range to inflict sustantial damage without worrying about return fire. A quick pass at close range allowed the Chien to unload a spray of inferno SRMs at the Atlas, crippling its heat level for the remainder of the battle. With the Atlas unable to sustain maximum firepower, the Chien was able to aim more carefully, soon penetrating the armor on the Atlas's Left Torso. A burst of cluster munitions knocked out the Atlas's SRM rack and a pair of Heat Sinks. The Atlas, in desperation, managed to pin the Chien against the edge of the arena, but the Chien fired its jump jets for the forst and only time, landing in position to exploit the heavy damage to the Atlas's left side. The move paid off, as another burst of cluster munitions set off the SRM ammo in the Atlas's Left Torso. The Chien is Top Dog after only 9 rounds.

Wacky battle fact: The Atlas hit with its AC/20 only once, and inflicted a total of 55 points of damage to the Chien!

Thanks to Karagin for submitting the Chien!

12) DKR-2 Drakkar
The Drakkar drew a lot of attention, being the only test 'Mech to mount MRMs. There is no denying that the weapons were effective, as the Drakkar put the Atlas to sleep very quickly.

Like many of the other test 'Mechs, the Drakkar benefited early from an armor-piercing shot that damaged the Atlas's engine. The house 'Mech also suffered an attack of the "clumsies", falling down three rounds in a row, damage from the third fall damaging a hand actuator. The Atlas got some payback in the 6th round of the battle, but four head shots in 7 rounds finally knocked the Atlas's pilot unconscious. With the Atlas immobile, the Drakkar finished the battle quickly and effortlessly, killing the house 'Mech's engine after only 90 seconds.

Thanks to KitK for submitting the DKR-2 Drakkar

13) GST-1T Gauss Triplet
Four rounds. Gauss Rifle to the head. 'Nuff said.

Thanks to Bo--- NO! No thanks! Curses! Curses upon you Bob!

Ugh! It's 2:30 AM and I'm falling asleep. I'll post the rest of the highlights and the Trial 1 ranking tomorrow when I'm wider awake. To be continued...
--Thomas Jefferson
LordChaos
04/15/02 03:39 PM

Somehow, I knew it was the Apoc involved in the double kill match.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 61939

Contact Admins Sarna.net