Battlemechs stolen from anime

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Atlan
03/01/09 06:05 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
We all know that the main reason we see so few LAM's in later Battletech (Espeically the Phoenix Hawk) is because the creators of Battletech stole them from the japanese anime Macross (sometimes known as robotech), and they got in trouble from the japanese who wanted their designs back.

Just today I was watching Macross, and I recognied a Marauder! I looked a little harder, and noticed other mechs- Locust, Rifleman, Warhammer.

I looked around, and found that all of the following were taken from anime:
Archer
Warhammer
Rifleman
Crossbow
Crusader
Wasp
Stinger
Phoenix Hawk
Locust
Marauder
Shadow Hawk
Thunderbolt
Wolverine
Griffin
Battlemaster

Why does the Phoenix Hawk count as copyright infringement, but none of the others?
FrabbyModerator
03/01/09 04:58 PM

I am not aware of the Phoenix Hawk being treated any differently than the others. Its original artwork is "unseen" just like all the others you mentioned (and a few more):

While it is correct that there were copyright issues, "stolen" is simply not the right word. FASA did obtain rights to the pictures of those designs, or so they thought. They only learned much later that the party who had licensed the artwork to FASA apparently did themselves not have the appropriate rights, and accordingly could not pass those rights on to FASA.

There was a lawsuit which was settled out of court. As a result of the settlement, FASA agreed not to use the contested pictures anymore in the future; hence they became known as the "Unseen". Check out the article on Unseen on the wiki part of this site for details.
This also means that it was never actually cleared up wether or not there had been a copyright infringement on behalf of FASA. The parties agreed on the aforementioned solution by which the BattleTech property owners would refrain from using the pictures in the future. And they have diligently adhered to that agreement.

The names and configurations of the 'Mechs were invented by FASA, however, and so the 'Mechs themselves continue to exist in the BattleTech universe - just no pictures of them are allowed in official publications. New pictures for upgraded variants of those same 'Mechs were since published in Project:Phoenix to somewhat alleviate the problem.
Christopher_Perkins
03/01/09 10:04 PM

All of the ARTWORK referenced on http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen was abandoned by FASA when FASA's Lawsuit against Playmates for the use of th Timberwolf/MadCat was Checkmated by PlayMates and Harmony Golds counter suit against FASA for the use of the Macross Mecha as a result from the undisclosed settlement of both cases.

The Abandonment of the Phonix Hawk LAM, Stinger LAM, and the Wasp LAM -Designs- were more because of Choice than force, Notice how when the crew stopped taking the stupid pills that lead to TR3025R, TR3050R, and TR3055R they did TR Project Phoenix {Dump the illegally used Artwork and replace it}... which used the Latest iteration of the Scorpion to confirm that the Land Air Mech was dead, dead, dead in 3067 ...

While the PHX LAM, WSP LAM, and the STG LAM are going to be brought back into the Game in either Interstellar Operations (new PTB Rumor) or Historicals: Liberation of Terra (Old PTB Rumor) do not make the mistake of thinking that the PTB like LAMs (new Factories are easy to build in the BT universe when you control the Red Pen of Fiat...)

they are fixing the rules for play between 2680 and 3054 (when the pre-existing Canon had them functional) .. but that is the extent of it.... while I would love to see the PTB reverse reverse the change that ended the LAM in the game in 3054 I am not holding my breath.
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (03/01/09 10:04 PM)
Lefric
03/02/09 08:16 AM

Why all the love for LAMS around here? I don't understand it. LAMS are for anime. Battletech is not anime.

Flame me if you wish, but LAMS are.... silly. They don't fit into the universe _AT ALL_, at least how it's deeloped in the 15 years I've been playing battletech. OK, admittidly, I got into the game in 93 or 94, and TRO 3055 was already out, so LAMS had already gone away. But even so: THEY ARE SILLY!
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm." -George Orwell
Zandel_Corrin
03/02/09 06:28 PM

It's only newtype that likes lams.... we all think they suck as well.... they don't fit the setting at all.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Newtype
03/02/09 06:39 PM

It's not myself that just likes LAMs. As I've said before there are many websites that talk about LAMs and LAM rules. Don't believe me, then do a Google search for Land Air Mechs. Here, let me save you the trouble:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Land+Air+Mechs&aq=f&oq=
http://www.gp.org
http://www.VoteSwift.org
DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Newtype (03/02/09 06:40 PM)
Zandel_Corrin
03/02/09 06:40 PM

Your the only one here that does.... and on most other Btech forums.....
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
FrabbyModerator
03/02/09 07:24 PM

Personally, I am indifferent to LAMs.
But this threat is not about LAMs.
Lefric
03/03/09 08:57 AM

Umm, since the unseen are *very* old news, what is this "threat" you are speking of? In fact, I wonder how anyone posting on this board can not know about the unseen issue; it's not like this is a site for b-tech newbies.

So, based upon your tone, I must hypothosize that Atlan is a another Newtype clone. Sigh.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm." -George Orwell

Edited by Lefric (03/03/09 08:58 AM)
Lafeel
03/03/09 09:18 AM

Quote:

We all know that the main reason we see so few LAM's in later Battletech (Espeically the Phoenix Hawk) is because the creators of Battletech stole them from the japanese anime Macross (sometimes known as robotech), and they got in trouble from the japanese who wanted their designs back.

Just today I was watching Macross, and I recognied a Marauder! I looked a little harder, and noticed other mechs- Locust, Rifleman, Warhammer.

I looked around, and found that all of the following were taken from anime:
Archer
Warhammer
Rifleman
Crossbow
Crusader
Wasp
Stinger
Phoenix Hawk
Locust
Marauder
Shadow Hawk
Thunderbolt
Wolverine
Griffin
Battlemaster

Why does the Phoenix Hawk count as copyright infringement, but none of the others?

All of them are, and were. That's why they are now Unseen in case you didn't know, FASA lost a lawsuit over the issue and Fanpro, and later Catalyst, chose not to press the situation further.
Prince_of_Darkness
03/04/09 09:38 PM

Why did we derail to Land-ass-mechs when we were talking about the Unseen?
Lafeel
03/05/09 07:58 AM

Because the P-hawk LAM is one of them, albeit a one that's been all but written out of the game.
Fang
03/06/09 08:34 AM

It was my understanding that pretty much all the mechs that came with the original boxed set and the little poster board cutouts are now considered unseen. I started back right before TRO3050 came out. And I thought it was Harmony Gold that purchased the rights to the images, then found out the person they bought from did not have the rights themselves. Unless there has been a change, Japanese copyright laws are vastly different than US. So it is possible Battletech could still use the originally published images in Japan, but not in the US. I could be wrong, it's happened before. Either way, I still prefer the unseen pics to the newer upgraded versions. And as far as LAM's go. I like them. As a curiousity in the CBT universe. More as a historical sidenote and not as a mainstream unit. To maintain a unit like a LAM is more cost and trouble than it's worth in today's battletech, so I am willing to bet most units would not field them anyway. But as this thread is NOT about LAM's(too many of those threads around anyway), who cares.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Prince_of_Darkness
03/06/09 01:16 PM

You know...I actually like the Reseen. I guess thats just what comes from my name, however
Christopher_Perkins
03/07/09 11:24 PM

Quote:

Why all the love for LAMS around here? I don't understand it. LAMS are for anime. Battletech is not anime.

Umm, where exactly did the idea of Big Robots that are piloted By people sitting in the head or torso come from?

It bloody well sure wasnt Western Cartoons or Movies.

BattleTech came from the Same Anime that the Land Air Mechs Came from...

The 2nd Lines units from SDF Macross were Non-Transformable Mecha called Destroids (in the bastardized "Robotech") and it is from these that the designers of BattleDroids and BattleTech got their ideas...

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (03/08/09 06:05 PM)
Christopher_Perkins
03/08/09 12:03 AM

Quote:

It was my understanding that pretty much all the mechs that came with the original boxed set and the little poster board cutouts are now considered unseen.

only the ones listed on the bt wiki

Quote:

I started back right before TRO3050 came out.

I believe that i started right after the publication of TR3026, and before the publication of Wolves on the Border and the Warrior Trilogy.

Quote:

And I thought it was Harmony Gold that purchased the rights to the images, then found out the person they bought from did not have the rights themselves.

not quite

Studio nue created SDF Macross, Big West helped them with production issues and was granted territorial merchandizing rights, Tatsunoco helped with Manpower Issues and was granted Extra-Teritorial mrchandizing Rights, rather, the right to gain compensation for allowing Non-Japenease entities to use the SDF Macross intelectual Property

Tatsunoco liscenced Harmony Gold to market the SDF Macross property in english, which they instead chose to deform into RoboTech: Macross Saga and build a totally different universe around it and SDF Southern Cross (Robotech Southern Cross) and Mosepeda (RoboTech: Next Generation) (They proceed to act as if they could prevent other entities from using the IP in the US... at the Time of the FASA-PlayMates-Harmony Gold Suite that was the Gov understanding as well, so FASA got Screwed... when HG recently tried to keep Japanease SDF Macross toys out of the US as infringing on THEIR ip... HG got spanked a decade or two too late to save FASA...)

Tatsunoco Liscenced the Model Company 21st Century Imports to create models in the image of the SDF Macross Intellectual Property

FASA got the right to Relable some of these Models from 21st Century Imports as BattleTech (that was actually what they had... not the rights to use said images in their own universe)

Quote:

So it is possible Battletech could still use the originally published images in Japan, but not in the US.

the Japanease version of BattleTech used the same/similar Artwork that was used in the Solaris VII Boxed Set.

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/08/09 09:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Umm, where exactly did the idea of Big Robots that are piloted By people sitting in the head or torso come from?

TRY THAT AGAIN! All of the giant robot stuff came from the west. Historically the Japaneses are not that creative, they take ideas from others and copy them. First they copied the Chines then when the west arrived to Japan they copied some of the western culture, as the 19th century was coming to a close they increased the amount they where coping from the west. The same is true with there anime. They took what was in the states and went where we would not go. If you go back to the 1920 and after you will find a lot of giant robots in SciFi short stories. It was introduced to the Japanese after the USA won WW ll and took full control of everything that happened in Japan, including there culture. The US introduced baseball and SciFi and other things to Japan.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Christopher_Perkins
03/09/09 01:04 AM

so, donkey, you pretty much backed up what I said...

"They took what was in the states" (i.e. Sci-Fi short stories) "and went where we would not go" (i.e. Anime)

But it is much more likely that the inspiration for BattleTech was from Anime (Specificly SDF Macross) and not Sci-FI short stories that were probably out of circulation at the time, if not that, the major draw that created the Niche that BattleTech Filled.

Any way, the answer lies in the Schrapnel article about the origins...

That is i do not recall mention of Analog in the article... but ISTR that Anime was definately mentioned

Fang
03/09/09 10:56 AM

Solaris VII original boxed set used four of the Japanese images for their mechs that I know of. Of course, I have only seen about a dozen or so japanese battlemech images so the others could be as well. as far as I remember: Tsumani is the japanese stinger, Morphis(or whatever it is called) is the wasp, Koto is the Locust, and the Colossus is the japanese 75t Marauder.
03/11/09 03:33 AM

Quote:

so, donkey, you pretty much backed up what I said...

You said nothing of the kind, quote

Quote:

unquote. Don't be a newtype admit that you where not correct.

Quote:

"They took what was in the states" (i.e. Sci-Fi short stories) "and went where we would not go" (i.e. Anime)

Anime is just the word animation shortened. Animation in this content is cartoons. Cartoons has been around for centuries. The first known cartoons where from the 16th century in Europe.

Quote:

But it is much more likely that the inspiration for BattleTech was from Anime (Specificly SDF Macross) and not Sci-FI short stories that were probably out of circulation at the time, if not that, the major draw that created the Niche that BattleTech Filled.

I would not question that BT is a ripoff/copy from Macross.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
03/11/09 09:48 PM

Not just Macross it borrowed from a few other animes..But the background isn't a one I've seen in anime as far as I can recall.
Christopher_Perkins
03/12/09 12:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I will when I am not correct

Quote:

Jordan K. Weismman

The BattleTech Game, supplements, scenarios, and other fictional products are all offshooots of an idea that came to me in 1984, when my own imagination was captured by the strong images that the Japenease had created for their Animated Television series featuring huge, waking battlemachines. Though the graphics for these man-like and insect-like monoliths were fantastic, the Japenease storylines still left my western mind unsatisfied. And so i set off to create my own fictional universe where men used fearsome, 10 or 12 meter tall monsters of destruction called BattleMechs to carry thei endless struggles for domination across the stars..

p.6 Schrapnel (c)1988

how would you like the crow Served?...

Christopher_Perkins
03/12/09 11:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Anime is just the word animation shortened. Animation in this content is cartoons. Cartoons has been around for centuries. The first known cartoons where from the 16th century in Europe.

my point stands.

western Short Stories and novels with piloted robots are NOT western Cartoons and Movies with piloted robots,

"It bloody well sure wasnt Western Cartoons or Movies."

the japanease were the ones that created Anime with piloted robots before the West did Cartoons & Movies with piloted robots...

And JKW was inspired by Japanease Anime featuring piloted robots.

03/13/09 03:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

my point stands.

western Short Stories and novels with piloted robots are NOT western Cartoons and Movies with piloted robots,

"It bloody well sure wasnt Western Cartoons or Movies."

the japanease were the ones that created Anime with piloted robots before the West did Cartoons & Movies with piloted robots...

And JKW was inspired by Japanease Anime featuring piloted robots.

Believe what ever you want. I'm not about to go go through all of the trouble of searching for and reading hundred year old stories to prove you wrong. It is not worth the hundreds to to possibly tens of thousands of man hours that it would require.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/13/09 05:03 PM

Dude, donkey, just admit that you were wrong.
Christopher_Perkins
03/13/09 08:29 PM

Quote:

Believe what ever you want. I'm not about to go go through all of the trouble of searching for and reading hundred year old stories to prove you wrong. It is not worth the hundreds to to possibly tens of thousands of man hours that it would require.

1: I said "It Blooody Well Wasn't Western Cartoons and Movies"
You are Citing Western Short Stories and Novels.

Thus While you may have a point about the Japanease having POSSIBLY borrowed the Idea of Giant Humanoid & Insectoid Machines that are piloted from inside the Head and Torso Area of the Machine from Western Short Stories & Novels, The Idea did not come from Western Television and Movies until well after BattleTech was out... Unless you try to say that the Adaption of the SDF Macross Anime by Harmony Gold into RoboTech Qualifies as "Western TV"

And the idea for BATTLETECH Came DIRECTLY from Anime...

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (03/13/09 08:35 PM)
03/13/09 09:53 PM

Where the hell do you think movies come from, Books! If you look at most movies you will see in the credits that it says that it was adapted for such and such book. Very little that you see on the big screen and more times than you think the small screen is a new concept. Movies like Star Wars are extremely rare, where the movie was out before the book. I do like that the Pirates Of The Caribbean came from a type of roller coaster, talk about coming out of left field! There is one thing that I would suggest, see the movie before reading the book. If you read the book first you will think the movie is crap.

Christopher_Perkins I have a question for you. First, do you read books or novels? Secant, if you do read, how big is your personal library? As for my self, my personal library has almost a thousand books in it, and I am not taking about comic books. Also, I have read all of the books that I do have a lot more times than just once. Though I am not a good writer, I have a better chance winning a lottery than selling a story, I have written a couple short stories, with some more in the proses of being written.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
03/15/09 12:21 AM

Quote:

Where the hell do you think movies come from, Books! If you look at most movies you will see in the credits that it says that it was adapted for such and such book. Very little that you see on the big screen and more times than you think the small screen is a new concept. Movies like Star Wars are extremely rare, where the movie was out before the book. I do like that the Pirates Of The Caribbean came from a type of roller coaster, talk about coming out of left field! There is one thing that I would suggest, see the movie before reading the book. If you read the book first you will think the movie is crap.

Christopher_Perkins I have a question for you. First, do you read books or novels? Secant, if you do read, how big is your personal library? As for my self, my personal library has almost a thousand books in it, and I am not taking about comic books. Also, I have read all of the books that I do have a lot more times than just once. Though I am not a good writer, I have a better chance winning a lottery than selling a story, I have written a couple short stories, with some more in the proses of being written.

SCREENSHOTS or it DIDN'T HAPPEN.
Lefric
03/16/09 11:06 AM

Why do you need screenshots? My own library is over 1000 books as well.

The petty vindictiveness in this topic is getting old and annoying. Chill out, folks.
Prince_of_Darkness
03/16/09 02:02 PM

Quote:

Why do you need screenshots? My own library is over 1000 books as well.

It's a 4chan meme; since trolls would say "I have xxx number of things" just to freak people out, we would ask for screenshots to sift though. Guys like Metplatt are found that way, when they talk about hordes of guns and reveal they actually have a massive collection. Here, I asked for an image so EVERYONE WOULD CHILL THE FUCK OUT.

Quote:

The petty vindictiveness in this topic is getting old and annoying. Chill out, folks.

As above, seconded.
03/16/09 04:10 PM

I have a question. How the hell am I to store almost 1,000 books in a semi truck? The sleeper is 5' long 7' wide and about 7' high, you know I do need to sleep there. All of my stuff is kept in a storage unit. I guess I could take a photo of the storage unit but all that you will see is furniture and boxes. All that I keep in my truck is one small box of books, I am really good at packing a lot of stuff in a small area, like having a desktop computer instead of a laptop in my truck, but there are limits.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
03/17/09 10:50 AM

ROFL! 1000 books in a semi cab. That would be awesome! And well worth a pic if you manage it.
Christopher_Perkins
03/20/09 09:51 PM

Quote:

Where the hell do you think movies come from, Books!

Not Always.... and even the ones that CLAIM to be from books are just as likely to have had story line and plot that was similar to a book so some no account producer buys the rights...

I of Course am referring to Verhovens StarShip Troopers vs Heinleins StarShip Troopers...

Quote:

If you look at most movies you will see in the credits that it says that it was adapted for such and such book.

So you have done the research to verify the percentage of Movies that were based off of a Boook or Short Story?

Quote:

Christopher_Perkins I have a question for you. First, do you read books or novels?

ROTFLMAO

You asking me if I read???

ROTFLMAO... did I leave that out of my profile here?

I Cut my teeth on a Spell for Chameleon that I bought from the Worms AFFES Stars & Stripes Store when it first showed up ins DeutchLannd

Quote:

Secant, if you do read, how big is your personal library?

15 ft, 15 Shelves, all Paperbacks... at about 1.5 inches per... 1800 Volumes... not counting the ones that i have Swapped

Quote:

As for my self, my personal library has almost a thousand books in it, and I am not taking about comic books.

About the same... and i have some comic books, traded a lot of them to buy out oa friend of mines battletech collection when a lot of parents were going squirely over D&D

Quote:

Also, I have read all of the books that I do have a lot more times than just once.

the difference between a reader and a dillatant

Quote:

Though I am not a good writer, I have a better chance winning a lottery than selling a story, I have written a couple short stories, with some more in the proses of being written.

please tell me you do your writing in MS Office or something with a working Spell Checker...

I am mainly poetry than prose...

there is or used to be a blog up oon my adelphia site with poems

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (03/20/09 09:52 PM)
Prince_of_Darkness
03/20/09 11:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Though I am not a good writer, I have a better chance winning a lottery than selling a story, I have written a couple short stories, with some more in the proses of being written.

please tell me you do your writing in MS Office or something with a working Spell Checker...

Christopher_Perkins wins.
03/21/09 04:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am mainly poetry than prose...

there is or used to be a blog up oon my adelphia site with poems

I use Microcrap Word, not only does it have a spell checker that I desperately need, but also a grammar checker that I also desperately need.

I have paid greatly for not caring what so ever for school, when I was in school. You don't go to school because you want to become a OTR truck driver. You become a truck driver because that's the best job that you can ever hope to get. Making 40 to 60K a year for not having any kind of personal life what so ever is not that great amount of pay. Also its very expensive to live on the road. I could easily spend $50 every day just to eat.

I wright to improve my English skills, yes I still have a very long ways to go. I do get quite a bit of praise on the website that I post my stories on, for writing "enjoyable stories", that is if you discount how crappy my English skills are. When you post on a website that has EXTREMELY low standards, its not that hard to get praise for "enjoyable stories".

I never was one that cared for poetry. I would assume that since you're bragging about your poetry, you're quite good at it. Have you ever had any of your work published? I am not talking about websites that will let any crap be posted, like my stuff, but where people that might be hopeful of being paid for there work.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (03/21/09 11:27 PM)
Karagin
09/07/09 12:07 AM

Don't feed his trolling...he has had the same issues on other boards.

Don't given in to his comments, it's not worth the flame war or the locking of the thread. Trust me, been there done that have seen the end results they are not pretty.

Just ignore him and he will grow bored and wander off.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Tripod
09/07/09 02:50 AM

had issues with who on other boards?
TBA
Karagin
09/07/09 11:42 AM

Lots of folks. If you didn't agree with him or let him win he who spin the arguments so off topic and in the flame war area. Just ignore him.

In fact I have not seen him post in a long time.
Karagin

Lafeel
09/07/09 05:55 PM

I do belive Cray banned him, Karagin.
Karagin
09/07/09 07:03 PM

You may be correct. But still the point is there. No need to get upset over anything said. I found that out the hard way, so I am passing on the free advice.
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
09/10/09 12:34 AM

Quote:

I do belive Cray banned him, Karagin.

I believe so, too.
Karagin
09/10/09 05:48 PM

I think both of you are correct.
Karagin

Christopher_Perkins
09/10/09 08:31 PM

Quote:

I use Microcrap Word, not only does it have a spell checker that I desperately need, but also a grammar checker that I also desperately need.

Ive followed MS Office since '97 It gets better and keeps costing more...

Quote:

I have paid greatly for not caring what so ever for school, when I was in school.

I went to school wanting to be a PC Tech... I now build Spreadsheets (talk about turning a hobby to fiscal gain/pain in the keister) and documents for the government...

Quote:

You don't go to school because you want to become a OTR truck driver. You become a truck driver because that's the best job that you can ever hope to get. Making 40 to 60K a year for not having any kind of personal life what so ever is not that great amount of pay.

no way could i ever do that... really good way to pile drive into something on the road... especially since I fall asleep when i drive too long

Quote:

Also its very expensive to live on the road. I could easily spend $50 every day just to eat.

very easily...

Quote:

I wright to improve my English skills, yes I still have a very long ways to go. I do get quite a bit of praise on the website that I post my stories on, for writing "enjoyable stories", that is if you discount how crappy my English skills are. When you post on a website that has EXTREMELY low standards, its not that hard to get praise for "enjoyable stories".[/quote[

[
Quote:

I never was one that cared for poetry. I would assume that since you're bragging about your poetry, you're quite good at it. Have you ever had any of your work published? I am not talking about websites that will let any crap be posted, like my stuff, but where people that might be hopeful of being paid for there work.

only in a pay for play type book, nevery really submitted any thing professionaly
not real bragging, just mentioning that I wrote... not a claim of their quality.

LAMdriver
09/11/09 02:50 AM

HUH?
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
Prince_of_Darkness
09/11/09 11:44 AM

He's gone Chris; let it go.
Almighty
05/17/10 10:45 AM

Well, it's useless to fight over who got the idea of robots. Since the creation of puppets going from there to robots is only a miner step anyone could have done.

However, it's undeniable that BT was inspired by the japanese anime. Before Asimovian robots are just human companions. Others are all alien like in the war of the worlds etc. None had war/combat fighting robots like the japanese do. They all where more like tanks than human like fighting warriors.

In past western designs were tube/barrel like. In the 60's comic technicals were comprised of hard lines and tubes or spheric. The first japanese animes took that over.
Since Gundam/macross/dougram/votoms the japanese moved to realistic designs.
But they worked out some trademark like features: locking valves; round screw-like joint/hinges; gas can like boxes or boxes with x-lines carvings; cyclopse or (multi) eye scopes; ear-like/wing-like antennas; organic designs like the Zentradi (I don't recall ever seen western organic designs before that); and lastly the japanese hand/leg/food mechanical design
The japanese mechanical design have 3 axis (eg foot) as opposed to western two axis design. This happens to be still true in real world robotics design. Only recently prothesis design have started to take over these mechanical design.

The nices design in BT all have most of these features, while the typical western ones are the jihad Blakist mechs (eg TRO 3075).

As it so happens Star Trek in the 80's and later has taken over lots of anime stuff, too. You could write a book a that. If you look at how cartoons look nowaday they all have anime features.

This copying is nothing new historically eg the greek did it from the egypts, etc.
The first modern novel/world's first novel was japanese btw. They Mayan may have been able to beat anyone if their books would still exist... but the earliest saga of all is undoubtly the Gilgamesh saga.
But who cares as long as people like it. It's all business.

As to LAMs I will post that in http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/156570/an/0/page/vc#156570
Hythos
05/26/10 03:16 AM

I have the actual lawsuit on one of my computers (on this PC I do have stuff like an SEC filing of approval for FallOutOnLine by Interplay: File No. 000-24363), but the FASA lawsuit contains quite a bit of good FASA-company info directly from Weisman. It goes something along the lines of attenting an anime expo around Anahiem CA; Weisman spoke to and struck a deal with Harmony Gold to license (including payment for) some of the designs. (So, nothing at the time was 'stolen' by legal terms -- and legal, in fact.)

As for 'giant robots' influencing culture, I personally believe there's stuff from all over the place - even back to ancient Greece. However, roots of robotic-anime can't not come from Asimov... Even War of the Worlds (original) implies a robotic-like craft piloted by on-board beings; while a stretch from a "living" battlemech or anime Mecha, can someone tell me what the Invid were again?

oh, and the "Japanese have the best robots" is false; they don't have the most advanced or most capable robots around - unless, when referring to something sexxy-time capable - in which case they're alllllll out there on their own, leading the world. I hope you can understand why Asimo now has a smile on HER face
Almighty
05/26/10 09:53 AM

Don't forget to consider the classic movies/series:
Metropolis; humanoid robot
The day the Earth stood still, Buck Rogers; (alien) humanoid robot
Forbidden Planet; barrel robot

Invids are humanoid aliens with cypertech if I remember right. There should be some info here: http://www.steelfalcon.com/thirdinvidwar.html

How advanced the japanese are depends on how you view it. In the past two decades they always showed/produced robots not seen before in other western countries. Starting with aibo, asimo, qrio and lastly their exoskeleton suit, which was unveiled before the US army's. The army's is still in development.
Also they were the first to research human emotional interaction. Only recently have western researcher began to research this.

The robot with the most natural mechanics (arm,hand) ever now is being tested by NASA. It's design, however, comes from Davinci 'ported' to modern technology.
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 27999

Contact Admins Sarna.net