general information part 2

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Karagin
05/08/16 04:45 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Now there is a role for LAMs...Artillery spotter, slap some TAGs on the things and send them out. Or hell put a C3 Slave unit on them and go from there, yep good ideas for LAMs.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
05/08/16 07:09 PM

The is evil, Karagin. Now you just made those that love lams have to come up with versions that do this, just to see how nasty they can be.

Full speed flight mode with targeting something. And if I recall, the incoming ordinance hits from the side the lam is on. Just back shots take on a whole new meaning.
ghostrider
05/22/16 11:47 PM

Question.
On energy weapons, is the heat build up in them from charging the weapon, or the actually firing of the weapons?

It is my understanding that it is holding the charge in them that causes the heat, and releasing the energy does nothing but stop the heat build up.
I understand missiles and ballistics heating up only when fired.
Karagin
05/23/16 12:47 AM

Both makes sense.
Karagin

ghostrider
05/23/16 01:45 AM

I remember one of the adventure packs (I believe Mckinnons raiders) had a marauder with an ml that when you went to fire it, you need to make a roll. If it failed to fire, it would still cause heat but no damage.

I need to know if it is charging or firing energy weapons that causes the heat.
The flamer would cause firing. Ok. That one I can understand. Just thought about it.
Karagin
05/23/16 06:39 AM

Those quirks are things I believe they are trying to bring back with the silliness they have now when you see mechs or vehicles with quirks listed in the TROs...rather have the quirks that cause you to actually have to worry about them vs the ability to ignore them.
Karagin

ghostrider
05/23/16 11:23 AM

Mckinnons raiders was put out back in the 80's. I think it was one of the first out, not a new one. My roommate had it, and I couldn't get a copy before economics showed up at my door.

I would have to look thru others, as I think a few had bad repair quirks that increased heat if the roll failed.
Other then that, I have not seen if firing a ppc or large laser builds the heat or if it is just charging the weapon.

Cray. Do you have any information on this?
Or is there nothing official about this?
CrayModerator
05/24/16 05:47 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Question.
On energy weapons, is the heat build up in them from charging the weapon, or the actually firing of the weapons?

Both.

The weapons do not charge with 100% efficiency, so the act of generating and sending power to the weapon creates waste heat. A combustion engine is only (typically) about 33% efficient, so for every 1 watt it sends to a weapon it will be blowing 2 watts of waste heat out its radiator and tailpipe.

Further, the energy emission mechanisms are not 100% efficient. For example, current industrial lasers are only 1-10% efficient, so for every 1000 watts they're pumping into a welding target their cooling systems are dealing with 10,000 to 100,000 watts of waste heat.

Quote:
It is my understanding that it is holding the charge in them that causes the heat, and releasing the energy does nothing but stop the heat build up.

Nope. Capacitors release little waste heat while holding a charge unless something goes badly wrong, in which case they tend explode.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
05/24/16 10:15 PM

Ok. This was important as the rules that weapons are powered unless otherwise stated would have very far reaching problems.
If it was just charging, someone using a 4 erppc warhawk just walking in the first round without powering down getting into range of a shot would build 20 heat on the first round, risking an ammo explosion, to shutting down on the next round if it survived.

Also calls into question ppc capacitors. If they get charged and not use in the next round, do they still heat up the unit?
Drasnighta
05/24/16 10:29 PM

Yes.

Its in their rules.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
ghostrider
05/25/16 05:55 PM

The only disadvantages are that Streak launchers are incompatible with other missile target acquisition technologies such as the Artemis IV FCS and Narc Missile Beacon, their specialized ammunition is much more expensive, and some users are willing to accept partial hits rather than not be able to fire on demand.[2]

2.↑ Jump up to: 2.0 2.1 Technical Readout: 3050, p. "Streak Short-Range Missiles"
Both of these statements are in the wiki. The newer publications of the 3050 do not have this section in it, and the photographed copy I have does not explain the partial hits. To my knowledge there is nothing in the current rules suggesting you can turn off the streak abilities in the launcher and ammunition.

I want to say this is where we had gotten the ecm information, but it isn't said in this either.

Just seen this and wanted to see if anyone had some clarification to this.
ghostrider
05/25/16 06:00 PM

second question. Does the streak system benefit from a c3 connection?
This is more important now that they have streak lrms.
happyguy49
05/25/16 08:15 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

second question. Does the streak system benefit from a c3 connection?
This is more important now that they have streak lrms.

It does. C3 changes the range bracket to whatever the distance to the closest networked friendly unit is, for ANY weapon (including TAG even). Even if you are shooting at a hex.

Lets say you have the longest range non-artillery weapon in the game, a set of ELRM 20s... and you're shooting at a target exactly 38 hexes away. But you have a networked spotter unit only a couple hexes away from the target, then you get short-range to hit numbers! C3 is awesome.

The minimum range modifiers apply only in regards to the firing unit, not the closest networked unit (the spotter). Spotting is done automatically by the C3 system, it doesn't require the spotting unit to make any rolls of its own; and the spotting unit has to be shut down or destroyed (or have its C3 to be critted) to make it stop spotting. Pilot unconscious, etc. doesn't affect the C3.

A weapon with damage that varies by range, (ex: Snub-nose PPC, Heavy Gauss, Variable Speed Pulse Lasers, etc.) still has the damage affected per the distance to the firing unit, not the spotter.
ghostrider
05/25/16 09:18 PM

The idea that a unit can spot for idf, using a c3, and using the iatm came up.
I know it says the streak system does not work with idf, but a clarification of this rule needs to be made.
Since it is possible the c3 will allow the unit to fire on something that isn't in sight (idf over a mountain), but the c3 also allows streak abilities with it in normal mode, is the rule set for just the launchers targeting system?
Or would the c3 override this?
Retry
05/26/16 12:12 AM

The firing unit is still firing over a mountain even if some guy with a fancy computer on the other side is watching the enemy meet with a fiery death. IDF is still IDF, so it's safe to say that the Streak function would not function.
CrayModerator
05/26/16 05:54 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Also calls into question ppc capacitors. If they get charged and not use in the next round, do they still heat up the unit?

p. 337 Tactical Operations: "Instead of firing a PPC as normal, the pilot may choose to charge the PPC Capacitor, building up 5 points of heat. This charge can be held as long as needed, during which time the charged Capacitor continues to generate 5 points of heat."

PPC capacitors don't hold a charge for long, so you have to keep charging them and generating that heat.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
05/26/16 07:43 PM

So when did they allow streak units to be shut off for idf mode?
Didn't want to continue the diversion of the iatm carrier, so figured here would be a good place to try to move the conversation.
As I said there, before coming back to this one, it was implied the streak missiles were direct fire weapons.
Then the lrm version came out. And it was not allowed to fire in idf mode.
I guess it is easier to change the rules then coming out with a new weapon system.

Which leads me to ask.
Is the gyroscopic rounds for an ac going to allow it to fire longer for longer ranges or in idf mode?
Is there ever going to be a break for ICE's?
They have come up with lighter materials that will handle the weight of a 100 ton mech jumping and taking a beating in combat, but can't find a material that would take the abuse of the ice?
Again, this is really looking like only some things will ever be advanced, since logic doesn't apply.

And as it was asked before. Why would streaks benefit from c3 systems?
I know the c3 says it helps targeting systems better, but yet it is implied the streak uses a unique system. Logic again, I know, but that should mean only that targeting should be used for the streaks.

Since the Streak LRM requires line of sight to lock on to a target it also lost the ability to make indirect fire attacks.
Direct from the wiki. The iatm violates this for their new system.
happyguy49
05/27/16 01:35 AM

Streak systems are direct fire... iATM's act as Streak systems most of the time, unless you want to use them for indirect fire. In which case they are no longer Streak, but you use the regular indirect-fire rules. An aside, with any Streak launcher, you can still fire your Streak systems even into an Angel ECM area, they just lose their streak bonus. You must then roll for the number of missiles that hit as if they were a regular LRM or SRM system.

What do you mean a "break" for ICEs? You mean, a lighter ICE? There is one. Fuel Cell. Works fine!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fuel_Cell

Streaks benefit from C3 because ALL weapons benefit from closer more accurate target info (telemetry). This improves the chance of a lock (in the game, this is the lower to-hit number from the shorter range bracket made possible by the closer lance/point mate unit).

I agree that if a gunner wished to do so, they should be able to fire their Streak LRM indirectly, as one can with the iATM.
ghostrider
05/27/16 02:16 AM

Total Warfare updated the rules to specify that Pulse Lasers (including Variable Speed Pulse Lasers and X-Pulse Lasers) as well as multi-shot firing autocannon cannot aim their fire, unless the affected autocannon are fired in single shot mode. In addition, an LB-X autocannon only receives the benefits if it is firing solid rounds instead of cluster ammunition.

Looking up to see if the targeting computer is compatible with the streak system and ran across this. How many people actually knew the cluster rounds did not work with the tc, nor did multi fire canons shooting more then one shot?

I do believe some units need reworking, and a few games would NOT have come out the way they did.

As for the fuel cell, that is a cheap way out. Knowing they use aluminum block with steel sleeves in engines now a days to lighten the engines, I find it hard to believe with all the high tech alloys they have, like composite endosteel, they could not make an engine lighter. Well other then the developers don't want it. But this is old news.

I am not saying the iatm is a bad thing, but again consistency has gone out the window for streaks.
The only saving grace is the missiles are not the same size as the streaks are, so I can live with them being upgraded. They look to be about double the size of a normal lrm round. Basically 60 missiles per ton, as opposed to the 100 for srm, and 120 for lrm.
Akalabeth
05/27/16 03:20 PM

iATMs aren't Streaks, they're iATMs.
Having the same ability doesn't make them the same technology.

Compare Artemis IV to Narc. Same result. Different application.
ghostrider
05/28/16 09:42 AM

Triple strength myomers.
The thought came up about these items that comes with a question.
If the myomers along with engine size determines a mechs movement, would something that is 'triple strength' mean it would move faster?
Maybe not 3 times, but a larger movement bonus?
I would think it would, and the bonus should be the faster the unit already is, the less bonus it would get.

I know the current version only works when heated, and only add 1 to movement.
This sounds weak. Maybe the should have called it enhanced myomers, not triple strength.
Akalabeth
05/28/16 04:31 PM

Triple Strength sounds cooler
GiovanniBlasini
05/30/16 04:52 PM

But this one goes to 11.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
ghostrider
05/30/16 09:13 PM

So how does the iatm actually function using the streak technology?

It is understandable that the artemis system works alot like tag, and the narc bring the missiles to the signal it puts out, which should destroy the beacon on the first round of missiles hits. Also there should be more hits in the area the actual laser/beacon is at, verses a general hit on the target, but lets just go with the iatm function for now.

Which makes me wonder why you could not just arm all missiles in a unit to use the same frequency of the artemis designator. And to expand that, a c3 system?
Also why would the beam system of the artemis not hit like the advanced radar system on a streak? It should do the same things, riding the beam in, or as they suggest, correct the missiles in flight.
Other then the developers don't want it that way, these systems use the same principles, to do the same thing, yet different results.
happyguy49
06/03/16 08:21 AM

Quote:
Akalabeth writes:

Here's a thought.. maybe they ONCE were triple strength, the original version, the one that EXPLODED when exposed to a specific gas. The current version is double strength, and doesn't explode.

In pre-Clan invasion fluff the Davions use this bizarre trick against House Liao, leaking TSM tech to them, (but not the knowledge of the critical vulnerability.) This is an American-CIA level stunt lol!
ghostrider
06/03/16 11:31 AM

Didn't think about that, since the new version also needs to be heated to work.
If you read the Warrior trilogy, they actually deal with the fourth succession war. I think it was an interesting series, though some of the things in there made me cringe with the issues of rules. Using energy transmission from the ground power plants to power the ship yards on the one world, then using them to knock out incoming dropships. Too bad the rules didn't support things like that. But still entertaining reading.

The reason it was brought up with the little movement enhancement it provides. Having supposed 3 times the power should give you some extra movement above the single point it does. I do understand without extra speed in contracting, it would not do much for the faster mechs, like a spider. But the 2/3 and 3/5 units should see more speed.
And cargo mechs would definitely benefit from them. Move more cargo per run would cut costs at most spaceports. Yeah, they addressed it with keeping it from the market to try and fix the gas issue.
ghostrider
06/03/16 06:31 PM

Does the actual case unit get destroyed when an ammo explosion occurs?
Or does it survive with the doors being the only victim during this process?
Akalabeth
06/03/16 07:08 PM

Quote:
happyguy49 writes:

Quote:
Akalabeth writes:

Here's a thought.. maybe they ONCE were triple strength, the original version, the one that EXPLODED when exposed to a specific gas. The current version is double strength, and doesn't explode.

In pre-Clan invasion fluff the Davions use this bizarre trick against House Liao, leaking TSM tech to them, (but not the knowledge of the critical vulnerability.) This is an American-CIA level stunt lol!

Yeah that's in the warrior trilogy.
It's also possible that triple strength doesn't translate to triple power. It's not a 1:1 ratio of power to output, machines lose efficiency. A warship for example, has very different fuel efficiencies when moving at flank or at cruising.
CrayModerator
06/05/16 11:55 AM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:
Using energy transmission from the ground power plants to power the ship yards on the one world, then using them to knock out incoming dropships. Too bad the rules didn't support things like that. But still entertaining reading.

See Tactical Operations' microwave power transmission equipment.

ghostrider
06/05/16 02:08 PM

Time frame there. Tactical operations came out later, and still don't have the book.

But while on the subject.
Did they do anything with cranking back the torsos to give the arms a wider firing arc?
Did they get rid of the stealth skill? I have not seen anyone other then Morgan Kell have it since, damn can't remember the combine nemesis he had's name died.

It might make some good optional rules for being around shipyards to risk damage during combat from going into a beam.

And unless they changed it, fighters change efficiencies when at flank speed over cruising speed. They use 2 fuel points for overthrust. Been so long since I dealt with it, not sure if dropships follow the same rules. I would think they do.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 156516

Contact Admins Sarna.net