general information part 2

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
ghostrider
07/29/18 12:52 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The question of Dragoons using battle armor brought up the question of the dragoons making mechs. They had access to clan specs, so did they use clan tech when making them?
If so, where did they get it built?
Besides Blackwell, I don't know of any other manufacturing facilities they had to make the higher tech stuff. Even keeping their units up to speed would require clan parts, and the clans themselves would be unlikely to supply them with any.
ghostrider
09/03/18 12:55 AM

Are there any rules to deal with taking a pair of stations, like 2 Olympus stations and joining them together to create a much larger one, using the station keepers of both to keep it in position?

I was thinking an over/under configuration, not end to end. Would make it less work trying to move things around. Add on armor to seal the two together.
The idea of the jumpship with dropships permanently attached got me thinking about this.

I am going to rule out warships that lack the main thrusters, and can't replace them. Though a derelict one, may well be something to build a factory in. Maybe jury rig something to keep it in position.
Requiem
09/03/18 04:45 AM

Connecting to Olympus Recharge Stations together?

From an engineering point of view I would say it is possible, but from a rule book point of view probably not. (though don’t quote me on that as I do not think there are any rules even considered for such a project – so house Rules?)

If attempted you must first make sure the distance between the two is sufficient so as to ensure their sails do not get tangled when deployed

Second will the Pressurized Repair Bays be compromised when they are ‘attached’?

Third, will you require a quick release system at both ends of the connecting “tower” between the two in the event of an ‘emergency’?

Fourth, regarding the ‘tower between the two, will it have a life support / stabilizing thrusters / engine between the two to ensure its survival in the event both stations abandon the connecting “tower”.

Fifth, will there be a connecting power line between the two?

Sixth, the reason why the engineers would be creating such “tower” – is this for a special R&D project a Naval Grade Energy weapon that will require a tremendous amount of power and it is just cheaper to build and test it this way first before attempting to place this into a warship?

Thus the use of connecting the two ‘Recharge Stations’ together, for the purpose of powering the weapon system?

As for having a factory attached why not look at attaching your Olympus to a Small / Large Habitat Space Station as the factory.

Is this to become a Hughes Class Space Station?
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
09/03/18 12:41 PM

It was basically thought to create a larger area for working in, as it would become a permanent joining, including a larger pressurized bay to work in.
Yeah, it would take longer and be more difficult they just tethering off the two of them.
The sail is one of the things that might need to be custom made. One might be more then enough to run the station, but it may cause stress as one set of thrusters would have to work consistently to avoid the station from spinning due to gravity or solar winds, depending on the position. Maybe making the sail connect to both tie down points, but the cost might be too much, if it could be done.

The thought came about as there are a lot of heavily damaged stations in the IS, with some being nothing more then spare parts if that. And with the jumpship idea presented in another thread, the thought crossed my mind. It could well be other stations being joined together, or even just use them as the basis for something like a Camelot Command concept. Not everyone has the funds to do so, as a few are just techs looking to make something that could work.

Though attaching small/large factory units to it may work. Not sure if that would be better then just using shuttles to move things, but it is a work in progress.
happyguy49
09/06/18 02:12 AM

Look up the rules, I imagine you could just 'dock' the stations, and leave them like that.

But there is no need to actually hook all your stations together in space. There are even mass produced zero-G only busses made for the purpose of moving around between networks of stations. For instance, a shipyard complex wouldn't just be the pressurized and unpressurized yards, but also other stations that put together parts or subassemblies, house workers, warehouse components and supplies of all types, surveil and defend the complex, charge jumpships, maybe even grow food, etc.
ghostrider
09/06/18 11:57 AM

BMR and the original box set Aerotech are the rules I have on this, so they are very dated. This is why I asked if anyone knew if the current rules had anything with this.

The issue came up as the group I played with came across what used to be a transportation and ship yard, but due to the wars, destroyed alot of things there, and the rest was so torn up, those living at the time just wrote it all off. As the worlds there died, they just abandoned it.
We investigated it, and found more of the debris was actually useable, just had to be patchworked together. But the over all dimensions of the repair bay didn't allow some dropships or jumpship, due to something like being too tall. Laying a dropship down isn't really something you can do. Also a few home made ones were not something that would fit as the thrusters would push it into the side of the bulk heads.
Also, we wanted to be able to build defense platforms, but size again. As there is no unpressurized bays we found, we have to do with the pressurized, and they need a lot of work. So we thought to make a super sized station that could do it all.
And we can not build jumpships in it, just do repairs. Mainly armor and some structure. No techs to work on the jump cores and such.

All in the group have other things to be spending the little money they have, so buying the new books is on hold until we can get something going. And most in the group are a bit greedy. If we pitched in for one, everyone would say it is theirs. So we suffer some from it.
ghostrider
09/11/18 05:22 PM

The question of streak ammo came up, and it was pointed out that all streak launchers would have to have their own ammo, as the missiles lock onto their targeting unit. Same code, frequency and such would have other missiles or maybe all of them get confused on which targeting information to use.
Since there is nothing said about the launchers setting up that before a launch, all would be the same. So multiple launchers using that same ammo might all hit, or all miss depending on which unit lock onto the target, or say a tree or rock.

This would be for shared ammo.

I guess the idea of several TAG units painting targets. Several launchers would all be using one freq as well as the launchers. And that would be set before the combat. Shared ammo bin could not do so, as currently written.

Add on.
In a C3 network, would ams systems on all the mechs try to engage missiles sent against another unit in the network?

Edited by ghostrider (09/11/18 05:42 PM)
ghostrider
11/11/18 01:52 AM

Where can I find out information on the armored inflatable buildings that are talked about in some of the books? I know they had some in the Wolf's Dragoons novel, and I believe a few others mentioned it. I think one of the clans books used it, thinking for a jade falcon commanders genes.

The question came up while looking over temporary structures that might have some uses for scouting new worlds. Not wanting to leave a drop ship grounded, but needing shelter from the elements, this structure was brought up.
FrabbyModerator
11/12/18 10:19 AM

Not sure what "armored inflatable buildings" you are talking about. But the Kiudo fortress sounds a bit like what you're looking for - look it up on the Sarna wiki.
Karagin
11/12/18 04:39 PM

Quote:
Not sure what "armored inflatable buildings" you are talking about. But the Kiudo fortress sounds a bit like what you're looking for - look it up on the Sarna wiki.

I think he is talking about the pre-fab buildings the Dragoons use when they setup the older planetary camps back before Outreach.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
06/14/19 01:48 AM

The idea of the original Star League couldn't afford to have their mechs packed full of advanced tech, but the idea of them storing tens of thousands of units around the IS makes me ask how this is, yet the League built mechs seem to have only a few systems in each that were advanced tech at the time.
The discussion of why the 3025 mechs were done the way they were, yet the League era units were supposed to be far superior.
Aside from the lawsuit, why didn't they have some units that were different from the current form, as they would have had all the tech available in the League?
Even the League only mechs were not like the clan mechs. They should have had ER lasers where mediums are now, or maybe even a different weapons system, like an anti missile system with half ton of ammo. Or a pulse laser where they have an srm 2 pack now with ammo. The succession wars down graded the League mechs, but it doesn't really seem like much of a downgrade.
Requiem
06/14/19 03:38 AM

When the original design rules were established it did not allow for advanced Star League designs.

So unless you have multiple design rules for multiple eras you cannot have advanced / less advanced era 'Mechs to the point it becomes noticeable whilst using the same construction rules.

So what you need is multiple construction rules for ...
- Star League Era;
- 2nd / 3rd Succession War Era;
- 3000 to 3040 Era;
- 3040 to ?
- Jihad era
- Republic Era
- Dark era

Each with their own rules as to construction to reflect their own era's technological ability is utilized - as well as how their era's tech will affect a retrofit upon a previous era 'Mech to make it more compatible with a later era's technology
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
06/14/19 02:36 PM

The construction rules works for League and clan tech designs. A few things don't work, as small hover craft would have issues making the 20 percent rule.

I was wondering why the League did not have almost pure League tech in them. It was suggested it would be too expensive to do so, yet the caches and depots hidden around the IS would suggest they have far more money and resources then thought. A single laser can change the outcome of a battle. A wasp with endo steel, ferrous armor double sinks may well have a pair of ermls move the srm pack to another location as the leg is just a bad spot for it. Having it torso or arm mounted would be better. Maybe a third erml, or upgrade to an erll for the mech would have been far better.
Yet nothing. The Thorn has endosteel and little else. Why?
They had the tech and didn't use it like the clans did. Again. Why?
Some weapons should have not been made in the TH. Normal lasers being one. The erml is superior to the ml. The league should have used them exclusively once they were started. Same with the Small laser. That same could be said with the large laser. Double sinks should have been in all mechs. But wasn't.

The introduction of the super heavy units is one such change to the whole construction issue. Which does make you wonder why the clans didn't have such a unit for command HQ. Just defense comes to mind. Then again, they could sit on a warship and watch a battle, when one was available. For the invasion, if the commander wasn't part of the attacking forces, this would make sense as well. A command base is always a target for the IS.
Requiem
06/14/19 05:38 PM

QUOTE: “I was wondering why the League did not have almost pure League tech in them”.

First, the Construction rules require an overhaul.

Second, to answer the above quote – at a guess, lack of forethought when they were being established. – such as no one gave the design team strict rules as to what a Star League Mech should look like.

This may sound strange but, may I suggest you go into the Sarna Wiki and read about Star League Era Military Clothing under – “Uniforms of the SLDF” – here is the section regarding a MechWarrior’s neurohelmet -

“The neurohelmet was also smaller and lighter than 31st century models and could perform many more functions, thanks to a biofeedback neural apparatus that was much more sensitive and did not require contact with the wearer's scalp. Such was the sensitivity of the helmet that many warriors chose to fight with their visor and windows blackened, relying totally on the sensor information fed directly into their brain”.

Have you ever seen this in a Clan Model or a clansman relying totally on the sensor informaton?

So have a look at the aerospace pilot when you have some time – where are these today?

So, when creating Star League Mechs it looks more like a “fad” design - where they designed an advanced tech ‘Mech product around only one advanced tech product, there was no real plan about combining them all of the advanced technology into one ‘Mech – so when the team was asked to create Star League Mechs, perhaps, they needed a little more direction / instructions such as “we need all Star League Mechs to have ALL the advanced design characteristics – from the ground up as well as double heat sinks and xl engines and advanced weapon systems and the most advanced electronics and armour. (and when creating these the Beta Test team should have realised the need for more critical slots / reduced tonnage for everything – in addition when putting a cockpit in there should have been standard things that were included and explained to the general public – such as what their sensor suites could do- i.e. infra-red etc etc. and then the more advanced standard options as the league progressed over time – such as computer upgrades that allowed a ‘Mech to process a targeting solution quicker / move quicker etc etc.

As for the superheavy as a command unit – too slow and too many resources to create them would be my answer – they are viewed as a “White Elephant” much the same as the German WW2 Panzer VIII Maus (“Mouse”) super heavy tank was – too big, too slow, very hard to maneuverer on the battlefield and as soon as it was seen on the battlefield everyone opened up on it as the primary target, so once the track was taken out it was almost impossible to fix (thus it became a pillbox) – when creating it you could have made (if I remember correctly) two or three other front line tanks in exchange for one Mouse – and don’t get me started about fuel efficiency.

Where-as a clan commander requires a ‘Mech to be fast and with high mobility (like the Mongol cavalry of old) and you do not get this with a superheavy.

In addition if you did have one or more of these in the unit would this not mean all the others within the unit would also have to match their pace with that of the Superheavy – thus slowing the entire unit down to a crawl.

So in my opinion until a superheavy can match its pace with a heavy they will always been seen by those clans that appreciate mobility as an extravagance.

Edited by Requiem (06/14/19 05:42 PM)
Wick
06/14/19 07:11 PM

The Thorn THE-N is one of the very earliest Level 2 designs (2549) Before this point, CASE appeared on the Helepolis HEP-2H (2488) and both CASE and the supposedly brittle/prototype Endo Steel I had been used on the Guillotine GLT-3N (2499). Ferro-Fibrous didn't appear in numbers to be useful until the 2570s, first appearing in production in the Alfar (2573). ER Large Lasers didn't come along until 2620 (Hussar HSR-200-D and Ostwar OWR-2Mb) and the Star League never developed ER Medium or ER Small lasers. So when originally designed, the THE-N didn't have access to this tech. Why it wasn't later upgraded either at factory or via field refit kits to include something like Ferro Fibrous armor is an entirely different problem (nor easily solved due the Royal variant having the same problem, but being much later and able to include this stuff). FASA just kind of glossed over the whole Star League era and a lot of the designs are curiously lower tech than you'd expect from 200-something years of ongoing improvement. A "TRO: Refits" that addressed some of this in the 2610-2720 timeframe would be nice.

Normal lasers still made in the Terran Hegemony is a different reason. The TH had very strict export agreements on advanced tech. If you sold only to the THAF or to the Star League, you could include a lot of high tech, but your clientele was then quite limited. If you sold to the House armies as well, you could maybe include some bit of high tech, and manufacturer might accept a lesser design for broader sales. If you were wishing to sell to anyone (periphery, mercs, and militias) you probably couldn't include any high tech equipment (nor would you much want to, to keep prices low.) So there were a number of designs built in the TH throughout the Star League-era, but used lower tech specifically so it could be exported and make the company more money. This is the general rule of thumb to explain how the TH maintained a near monopoly on high tech, how the Houses got some of it, and the runts got almost none. (But even FASA and CGL have broken this rule a few times. For example, the Ironsides fighter gave away Double Heat Sink technology to anyone and everyone much earlier than it should have. Prior to 2613 is was nearly exclusive to the THAF and SLDF, with perhaps small numbers appearing on Thug, Mackie, and Galahad mechs in house armies. As far as I can tell, DHSs don't appear on a production non-THAF/non-SLDF design until the Koschei KSC-4I in 2719 - over a century later!)
ghostrider
06/14/19 09:34 PM

I understand having the lower tech for export, but the units in the SDLF is the key. For some odd reason, I always thought the 3025 era mechs were completely different from the original League. They say down graded because of tech issues. Yet there isn't much to suggest they were really that much different.
And using more tech should have been a non brainer in my eyes. You wanted to keep your units better then the house units, yet only have a streak pack and that's it? The heavies would make even less sense, like a Marauder having only erppcs but no double sinks? Same with a Warhammer? And all their mechs should have had case if they had ammo. So the extra weight there should have given the 3025 mechs some extra room. Maybe half ton of armor more. But it doesn't appear to be that way.

The super heavies was thought as a mobile command center. It was not meant to be part of a unit attacking, but something that was able to defend itself, and cover the rougher terrain vehicles could not. The supers can move 2/3, though not sure if masc or supercharger is available to them. But at 2/3, some assault mechs couldn't outrun it. The annihilator being one. I want to say the imp was another 2/3 mech. Even mobile artillery would work. Not saying it would replace normal command centers, but give some options for a command center.
Hell, the Urbie couldn't outrun it.

The Ironsides sold outside the SDLF may have had single sinks, but nothing said in the fluff about it, or even shown as such. I say may, because it is very possible the game developers didn't think about that when they had it sold.
Wick
06/15/19 07:38 PM

A lot of them weren't different at all. Several of the most famous mechs (Locust, Wasp, Stinger, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Griffin, Rifleman, Thunderbolt, Banshee, to name a few) are pre-Star League era designs and have been built somewhere nearly unbroken for 600 or 700 years. The TH may have made them first, but overtime licensed them out to non-TH factories to produce.

The early SLDF was highly composed of these older mechs, especially during the Reunification War when 80% of the SLDF was hand-me-downs from the House armies. The SLDF doesn't take on a significant composition of unique mechs until the early 2600s. Even to the end of the Star League, there were a lot of SLDF regular army divisions that featured these "older" designs (though the mechs were probably much newer and better maintained than the same models in house armies.) Only the Royal divisions had disposed of older designs by then (and mostly in the early 2700s)

There are several Star-League era mechs that are common in 3025 that required downgrading during the succession wars, such as Kintaro and Crusader. Others, like the Ostscout, were introduced in the Star League-era but (perhaps curiously) didn't have equipment that became lostech. Even so, almost of the downgraded Star League mechs take a simple route, Xl engines for standard, CASE exchanged for armor, Ferro Fibrous for same tonnage of standard, ER LL or standard large. Artemis for an extra ton of ammo, etc. The mechs that had a lot of the high tech or were difficult to substitute level 1 equipment for were simply ruled to have been lost in the wars.

Unsure which Marauder and Warhammer you're talking about. The ER PPC came along very late in the Star Lrague's existence, and its presence is on mostly exclusive Royal division units which mostly used Double Heat Sinks already. The Star League MAD-1R had Ferro Fibrous armor and CASE, but these were downgraded to allow production of the well-known MAD-3R. The MAD-2R had both ER PPCs and double heat sinks, but even these were downgraded to MAD-3R specs or lost in battle by the mid-Second Succession War. The Warhammer WHM-6R and its WHM-6Rb royal variant are both regular PPCs but the Royal has DHSs. The WHM-7A meant to replace the WHM-6Rb upgraded to ER PPCs, but retained the DHSs of the WHM-6Rb.

Right, I think there should have been some retconning of things like the Ironsides, either by changing the year or rectifying the fluff to explain it (such as the SD2 being a TH militia design, until retired and sold to mercs in the 2700s, instead of immediately being sold to mercs in the early 2600s.) The Early Star League is one of the least and poorly documented eras of mech and vehicle designs, with only the early Succession Wars being worse. (The 1st and 2nd source books barely scratched the surface.) You've got hundreds of designs in the 3050-3070 timeframe, but only handfuls during these eras.
ghostrider
06/16/19 12:46 AM

The issue is there is no real records (TROs) that show the star league units in full glory. It shows the field upgrades for 3040s and above, but nothing from the original league. An Arrow carrier or even tube artillery mech should have been made and issued. Even the Royal units should have had far more high tech in them, then what they are shown to have had.

The Locust. If it had an xl engine in it, does that mean it was faster as the same weight for the engine was a larger engine? Where the Mg's a different type of weapon? Endosteel and Ferrous armor would have freed up tonnage. Double sinks would take care of extra heat for some of that weight. Lrm 5's in each arm with a single ton of ammo shared at the cost of the mgs, and the weight saved from endo steel? The ml kept, or all removed for a single erll? The laser/mg configuration for the locust and stinger is too simple. Even the poor placement of the srm pack in the wasp is questionable.

The Marauder and Warhammer were examples. Not anything printed, but used to suggest there should be more to it then what is done. Why bother with the ac 5? Why not have a 10 or 20? Or have it full of streak packs, which were removed and the 5 added when they downgraded the Marauder? There is so much more I would expect out of the original League mechs beyond the little they did with them.
Requiem
06/16/19 02:34 AM

Can I suggest you refer to a previous entry of mine,

This may sound strange but, may I suggest you go into the Sarna Wiki and read about Star League Era Military Clothing under – “Uniforms of the SLDF” – here is the section regarding a MechWarrior’s neurohelmet -

“The neurohelmet was also smaller and lighter than 31st century models and could perform many more functions, thanks to a biofeedback neural apparatus that was much more sensitive and did not require contact with the wearer's scalp. Such was the sensitivity of the helmet that many warriors chose to fight with their visor and windows blackened, relying totally on the sensor information fed directly into their brain”.

Question what type of external sensory suite (this would mean multiple sensors front and back and on the side) that is attached to a computer that then transfers this information directly into the mind so that they can then direct the pilot to actually fight whilst their visor and windows are blackened out?

Is this not the evidence that the Star League Mech was way more advanced that even Inner Sphere or Clans - is the only group that comes close to this the WoB Jihad era Mechs?
ghostrider
06/16/19 01:02 PM

I was only dealing with the main construction, as it is the biggest thoughts of not actually showing they were the most advanced stated. I remember seeing the helmet information in one of the books. And I agree. The clans should have them and expanded on them. Comstar should have had more then a few examples, as well as in caches that had mechs with them.
I find it difficult to believe you can find a mech plant or storage area that didn't have helm with them, so people could use the mechs. Especially repair facilities.

With the helms, there is nothing saying they were better except smaller?
The mech suit captain Rose had when he left Comstar shows the tech was there.
The Enhanced Imaging system the clans came out with is a joke in my opinion. Vector Graphics? That should have been an ability the battle computer should have done.

And the pulse lasers having shorter range then the normal lasers? Yet they are supposed to be more accurate? I would think they should fire alot further, as they can fine tune their shots and still hit. The SLDF erll isn't that much further.
But then range was gone over already.

With the advancing of tech, I agree. Things like the better helms should have been reintroduced.
Requiem
06/16/19 06:41 PM

Ghostrider, I am in agreement with you the helms were not only smaller and more sensitive, so that you did not require direct skin contact, they were so powerful they could directly link with an individual’s mind to allow that human’s mind to create a “mind-scape” as to the battle going on around them. As such it turns the Clans Vectors Graphics system into a child’s toy.

The Clans should have had a more advanced helm and the system that goes with it. Their battle computer should have been something incredible given the technology available at the time of the Star League.

And I also want to say what happened to the full body heat exchange clothing of the Star league Era as the ones issued to Rose appear to be a substandard variant of those issued during the Star League Era.

So as for ComStar – I am on the belief that every single one of their ComGuard ‘Mechs should have been supplied with the “mind-scape” system as well as the most advanced full body heat exchange clothing. They had the time and the technology to ensure these were achieved for the entire Guard unit.

Plus when Rose supplied one of his heat exchange clothing as payment for assistance – why didn’t every house unit have these within the next two years?

It appears no one went back to the original books, researched what was written, and when they created both Clan Tech and ComStar Tech to give these systems a more advanced makeover.

What happened when ComStar was appropriated by Focht? Should these systems have found their way into all of the House Military units?

Also what about Wolfs Dragoons – should they have had them also? Then when they arrived within the IS they needed to remove and store them away when they realized the IS military did not have them any-more? And when the Clans returned should they have then been put back in?

Then there is the issue if they decided over time to remain in the IS why didn’t someone leak this technology to all the House Units? For without them their ability to survive a protracted war is reduced considerably – IS are using very early helm tech in comparison to Clan series two or three “mind-scape” tech.

Then there is the issue of the aero-space fighters and everything else written in this section ….

What ever happened to these? It just appears it was just forgotten about and just hoped it would disappear….
ghostrider
06/17/19 05:39 PM

If the Dragoons used the full body cooling suits in combat, the houses would have gotten some working copies as pilots would have died from other things the cockpit breeches, and capturing ejected pilots.

Now the question comes from the question of why Comstar didn't have the better helms. They should have been the ones to come out with the c3 system. The 'mind-scape' concept would just need secured coms to do so. Other then the clans, they would be the most likely to come up with this. Why did the Combine come up with it?
Other then Comstar giving them the tech?
The game hints that the Combine was always pushing for the low tech they had.

And let's not forget that the Dragoon warriors would have gone to house MASH units at times. No way you could avoid it.

The League was supposed to be the top of the Tech at their time, and the clans would have had working copies of this to advance. Or at least keep in production.

And even more unlikely is that NONE of this tech was found in caches or research facilities.

Another question comes to mind. Why would the League leave any advanced tech units behind intact? The clans used some of the low tech stuff, and just refitted them when they got better stuff. From the sounds of it, the clans didn't use normal lasers, acs or ppc after they came out with the newer versions with the exception of the caches that went to solemnha and garrison units.
Requiem
06/18/19 03:03 AM

Advancement in technology is at the whim of the Game Developers not rational thought.

As for Wolfs Dragoons … they should have placed all their technology which does not conform to the Inner Sphere’s technology into storage.

Yes I agree that League, and by extension their decedents the Clans, should have access to more advanced technology- it just appears many of the original League technology references were not investigated to allow for an accurate advancement in technology over time.

There is also the issue of all the developments Amaris’ engineers made during the war – you would have assumed the SLDF captured computer schematics, engineers, prototypes etc. – why were these never incorporated into Clan Tech?

Hating you enemy is one thing … but ignoring an advancement in technology due to this hate alone is idiotic – Post WW2 – America obtained the majority of the former Nazi and Japanese Scientists, whereas the Russians obtained the factories – both then implemented these advancements into their own civilian (Apollo program for example) and Military projects.

As for this tech never being found within the myriad of cashes found throughout the years …. Again either game developers fiat … or they had just forgotten about this technology to begin with.

As for leaving technology behind – for the exodus to prosper they need to prioritise that technology which would be required to form a prosperous new society plus they had limited room as to what was absolutely necessary and what could only be described as a novelty item.

Like all advanced societies the Clans readily adopt new technology, however due to their stratified society and their philosophy regarding waste all older technology that is still functional and cannot be readily recycled should be utilised by second tier individuals until such a time as it is no longer functional.

It is just another ‘OOOOpps’ moment by the game developers … add it to the extensive list and keep going!
ghostrider
06/26/19 01:34 AM

The thought came up with the discussion of the game mechanics, that the idea of a 'compact' drive used in warships and not used in jumpships came up.
The compact drive is only done to make warships feasible to be done, from what I can see.

Why doesn't jump ships use the compact drives? Comstar would have had the tech the entire time.
The first idea of why is normal jumpships carry dropships, but then most warships do. So expanding out the K-F field to take them isn't the reason.
The lack of tech comes up as well. So once the warships were re-discovered, wouldn't that be used to making Jumpships require less materials?
The should allow them to carry more dropships.
Or would someone suggest the field can't be expanded that far?
The warship is much larger, with a smaller core, so that is a bust.

So did I miss something in the tech about compact drives?
Construction rules aside, as this was done to allow warships to exist, what did I miss?
ghostrider
06/26/19 01:54 PM

Another oddity came up. The Capellan March seems to have come from the CC according to how the old maps of the IS before the succession wars ravaged them all.
Each state was equal on those maps, yet it appears the border line is the same one the Capellan March shares with the Cruisis March.

As the FS formed, there were several nations that joined to form, with the Capellan March being one of them. Why does this sound like something is wrong with the entire set up?
ghostrider
06/28/19 09:50 PM

The idea that you should be able to increase mech speeds by using TSM with a MASC system.
The TSM is supposed to be better and stronger, so should take the MASC system without any issues of damage or shut down.
This would increase the mobility of mechs without any arguments for vehicles to gain it.
The heat restriction for the TSM would be dropped as it was done for some of the worker mechs in the CC as stated in the source books.

Some ideas is the MASC weight and crits for both could be absorbed into the engine, or maybe make a package deal to specify where it goes, much like an xl engine. Think leg makes most sense. Maybe fill all the spots in the legs, though weight of MASC might be tricky.
The end result of research should allow the engine to hide the MASC, as it would provide the power at his source, not just supplement it in route to the legs.

Edited by ghostrider (06/28/19 09:52 PM)
Wick
06/29/19 09:04 PM

Quote:
Another oddity came up. The Capellan March seems to have come from the CC according to how the old maps of the IS before the succession wars ravaged them all.
Each state was equal on those maps, yet it appears the border line is the same one the Capellan March shares with the Cruisis March.

As the FS formed, there were several nations that joined to form, with the Capellan March being one of them. Why does this sound like something is wrong with the entire set up?

The Capellan March actually predates the Capellan Confederation. It was so named as it borders the Capellan zone - specifically the Capellan Commonality and the Chesterton Trade Federation / Tikonov Union. I think the only nation that formed its original core was the Muskegon Empire, though there may have been little single or double world nations that canon never named mixed in there.

The Capellan march mostly grew in four phases.
1. The conquering of Chesterton and surrounding worlds in the Age of War.
2. Disbanding the Terran March (split between Capellan and Draconis Marches)
3. The conquering of former Terran Hegemony worlds just prior to or in the opening phases of the First Succession War.
4. Conquering of Capellan worlds in the Second and Third Succession Wars. (The FedSuns did poorly in the First war and the Capellan March only gained a little, but lost a lot.)

So the Capellan March started thin and short, but expanded in all directions away from the Crucis March, which is why the original march border never really changed. At least officially. There's a really good chance that it changed unofficially during the First Succession War, as the Capellans got all the way to Farwell, which has always been a Crucis March world. (And they did it not once, but twice!) Farwell and perhaps its surrounding Crucis March worlds now on a hostile border (Sanilac, Listowel, Muskegon, and Amiga) almost certainly were under the military purview of the Capellan March during this time. (Perhaps Edwards, Tawas, Logandale, and Goderich as well.) For the sake of brevity, I don't think FASA or CGL have really been specific on where the March demarcations are during the underdocumented Age of War, Star League, and early Succession War eras, so the maps mostly show 3030-3080 demarcations, even when it doesn't make military sense (as in the years between First and Second Succession Wars, when Chesterton and Demeter would not reachable by a single jump from the rest of the Capellan March without first travelling through Crucis March space.)

The Successor States were never similar in size. The Capellan Confederation has always been the smallest in terms of size (but I think its more populous than the Draconis Combine.) It was the last of the five to form, and by then all the neighboring proto-states had been gobbled up. Thus it did more exploration within its own space, and during the Star League era did more terraforming than the other states - which is why its map is more densely packed than the other nations. Of course it kept getting smaller, at least until reconquering the Chaos March and alot of border worlds during the Dark Age. But the FWL has played just as big a menace to the retreating Capellan border as the FedSuns has. (The First Secession War cost the CC almost the entire Andurien Commonality, which unlike the Sarna, St Ives, and Chesterton Commonalities, they never eventually reconquered.)
ghostrider
07/15/19 03:55 AM

Seeing the recently posted thread about upgrading infantry, and the small laser post, got me thinking about infantry weapons range and damage with lasers, and the fact they fire further then the small laser does.
Infantry have the range of 6. I know the damage is only a point, but why would something with far less power reach out that far? I seriously doubt an infantryman could hold a laser on one spot on a unit to do the damage at that range.

Is it just me, or does this sound like a contradiction of the way lasers work?
Requiem
07/15/19 06:36 AM

Refer Sarna.net Wiki – Infantry – Gameplay, Rules, Notes and Quirks

Infantry weapons movement and damage inflicted requires a total reworking – RPG Vs. Board Game – normalizing the two systems in addition to this they the damage they receive from different weapon systems requires work as well.

Specialty weapons and weapon teams needs to be introduced

I would start with an anti-power-armour sniper rifle that can penetrate the head armour of an elemental at an extreme range of between 600 to 800 meters.

Especially post 3053 with the introduction of AP ammo.

In addition there needs to be a cut off to the damage an infantry unit can do depending on the weapons they have / number of people within their unit - eg. a normal infantry long rifle will not be able to penetrate Mech / Armoured Vehicles armour no matter how many are engaging it – as these are only useful against other Infantry Units. If you are going Mech or Armoured Vehicle hunting you should be equipped with the necessary weapons to do the job.

In addition to this I believe the idea that anti-missile system needs to be re-looked at – All Star League Vehicles should have been equipped with a minimum of two such devices and a computer that could handle multiple targets at once – this would then be used as the evidence as to why such weapon systems such as cruise missiles became obsolete.
The weight of such a device should have been almost negligible and the Clans should have had an updated version of this.
ghostrider
01/06/20 01:03 AM

Old age finally catching up to me. I don't remember if I asked about this before, so if I did, tell me.

XL engines are supposed to be made with the crystaline structures heat sinks are made of...
So wouldn't that mean the extra space it takes up, would cool the engine even more?
Even without that, wouldn't there be an issue with single sinks verses double sinks?
With new models coming out, or old units being refitted, a Vlar 300 engine could be put into an Atlas, Marauder, and a few other units, yet some have single sinks and others double sinks. So is there a separate line for each?
Maybe a better example is a Vlar 300 fusion engine being used in a vehicle. They can't use double sinks according to the rules.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 158824

Contact Admins Sarna.net