I hate (Classic) Battletech

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Cheapbuzz
06/17/02 07:25 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I really hate this CBT term I don’t know about the rest of you out there but I don’t have any miniatures, rulebooks or games or any other Items that even have that C word in it. It just irritates me every time I see it. What were they thinking when they changed the name? It was probably something like (Hey man can I borrow your crack pipe? I seem to have misplaced mine oh and by the way lets change the name to CBT) Those classic crackhead freaks need to die......or at least change the name back.
"If it aint broke don’t fix it"
Khan_Robinette
06/17/02 12:27 PM

I agree...yes it is a classic game, but Jezus, makes me feel like an old timer hearing Classic Battletech.
Sorta like when they brought out NEW coke alloooong time ago, and then of course they ended up calling old coke, coke classic. Maybe they should have changed the name of the new game and left Battletech alone.
Well anyhoos, I hate posting when I am at work, flipping back and forth between windows makes me lose track of what I am doing.
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
Greyslayer
06/17/02 05:30 PM

The new game is called 'Mechwarrior' not battletech. Under this the old roleplaying system is called Mechwarrior which might class a change to 'Classic' Mechwarrior. There seems to be no valid reason to hold the name battletech for WK, it is not marketable for them (where the name Mechwarrior is) and Classic Battletech does create this 'old-timer' image for me as well.

So really is there a point to change something that doesn't really need it?

Greyslayer
Acolyte
06/17/02 08:12 PM

REAL BattleTech, myself. And MechWarrior 3025 as opposed to MWII, MW3, and MW Dork Age.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Khan_Robinette
06/17/02 10:14 PM

Good point, I hate posting when I am at work, I lose focus on my work and whatever I am talking about.
Should have left it Battletech, and changed our RPG to Classic Mechwarrior....wait I think you said that.
Wife has been checking out the MWDA website, says she is thinking of buying a starter set and a couple of boosters to test it out with some of the other ppl in our group. Called her a heretic :P Needless to say I am sleeping on the Classic Couch tonight, using the Classic Laptop to post.
Anyways, this CLASSIC Old Timer needs to reply to a few more posts the crash before work.
Karagin
06/18/02 01:12 AM

Hey the Classic Couch is a real classic if it has that 70s feel to it...and the Kool Aid stain that will not come out no matter what you try on it...

And one thing I learned about women, calling them a heratic about a game when they are dead set on doing it their way is not healthy...yes sir, when GF is the DM one needs to NOT tick her off buy commenting that her use of Orcs is overkill on us as PCs...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
06/18/02 01:14 AM

You know I have heard that one already between a guy who plays nothing but 3025 level stuff when talking to two guys who are die hard Clan players...they had no idea about the olden days of the game.
Karagin

Acolyte
06/20/02 02:04 AM

Classic just means you can read, and that you have more attention span than a Nintendo-generation-snot-nosed-thumb-in-mouth-hiphop-cap-on-backwards BRAT!

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Karagin
06/20/02 02:06 AM

Wouldn't those be the 99% market shares WK hopes to get into playing MWDA?
Karagin

MacLeod
06/20/02 02:14 AM

I think that's the point. WizKids doesn't want the little guys finding out that there's a better game out there that costs less money (cuz you don't have to buy fifty packs of doohickeys to find the one you want). To prevent it, they tacked on 'Classic' to make them think it's outdated and no fun.

Stupid corporate buisiness dudes and market testers.......
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
ErichRaulfestone
06/23/02 07:19 PM

Simply put, so the less knowledgeable could tell the differeance between the two.
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
Karagin
06/23/02 07:21 PM

Between what two games?

Last time I looked there was only one game called Battletech.
Karagin

ErichRaulfestone
06/23/02 07:52 PM

Between kiddie-clickytech and the TRUE game, thats the diff....
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"

......and I went......
Karagin
06/23/02 08:38 PM

Okay we have the game Battletech and the other game with the name Mechwarrior...so why do we need to add classic to the name?

I can tell the difference between the two...and I am sure others can as well. The couch potatos who WK is after can at least read can't they?
Karagin

Nightward
06/24/02 12:33 AM

I personally hate the forums there. Either what you say gets ignored, or small-minded idiots flame you down because you have a differing opinion. For example, right now in the Designs board there is a discussion about an Atlas IIC. Someone suggested using ATMs, and I said I felt that it changed the feel of the Atlas. Said person then proceeded to swear at me (his post was deleted) and told me that I was a fool for not seeing things his way. Bah. *Shakes head.*

At least here people listen to what you say, think about it, and reply with an argument that can be backed up. And, for the most part, they do it politely.

End of bitch session.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
ErichRaulfestone
06/24/02 08:35 AM

I guess you misunderstand me. What I meant was that their was to be a distinction between the ORIGINAL Btec
and the newer kiddie-click.
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!

......and I went......
Karagin
06/24/02 08:52 AM

No I understood you completely.

There is no need for the Classic part since the other game is called MECHWARRIOR.
Karagin

ErichRaulfestone
06/24/02 08:54 AM

sigh....the NEW BTECH version IS the clicktech, or are you just ignoring that??? Mechwarrior is the
game for individual mechwarriors, not mechs as I was talking about
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!

......and I went......
Karagin
06/24/02 08:59 AM

Did you miss something?

The click based game is called MECHWARRIOR DARK AGE. This would be the game WK is going to relase in August at GenCon.

That doesn't have Battletech in the title at ALL. Battletech, the game that FP is trying to keep alive has NO clicky bases, has NO MageKnight like pieces. It has miniatures and cardboard maps. Lots of Sourcebooks and things like that.

Do you see the difference?

The need for Classic in front of Battletech is not needed since the game WK is putting out DOESN'T HAVE BATTLETECH IN THE TITLE AT ALL.

Or do you know something rest of us don't as far as the name of the WK game goes?
Karagin

ErichRaulfestone
06/24/02 09:03 AM

I see, but for us "old farts" like me that played it when it first came out, I like the word Classic in front
because it is a classic
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!

......and I went......
Karagin
06/24/02 09:05 AM

I agree the game is a classic and yes I have too have been playing since it was originally call BATTLEDROIDS...but tossing the CLASSIC on there to make so folks can tell it apart from MWDA is very silly and childish.
Karagin

ErichRaulfestone
06/24/02 09:08 AM

Well, talk to Warner about it then, its his website.....
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!

......and I went......
Karagin
06/24/02 09:13 AM

Sure...will do that right along with a ton of other things..

.I thought it was WK's website?

Karagin

Greyslayer
06/24/02 10:57 AM

I could see the need for names for time-period sake. For example if they actually released a series of 3025 sourcebooks and novels I would say there would be a need for a preceeding title (as if Clan rubbish should be classed as 'classic' anyway ;p) but as it stands nope there is no logical reason to force a change to name that does not need it.

Greyslayer
JadeDragon
06/24/02 02:51 PM

Classic Battletech is FanPro English version of their website.

Warner is the webmaster there.

The JadeDragon
Karagin
06/24/02 05:42 PM

Thanks now if we could only get them to drop the Classic part...
Karagin

ErichRaulfestone
06/24/02 07:13 PM

Ummm, seriously doubt it since THEY are the ones who asked Warner to put it up there....
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!

......and I went......
Khan_Robinette
06/25/02 10:25 AM

I dunno, 18 years with battletech, and to me classic just sounds OLD. Makes me feel like the classic fifties, or that song is really a classic, etc etc etc
Khan_Robinette
06/25/02 10:30 AM

Wife got a hold of her MWDA Promo set...I played with it, tossed it around the room, compared it to my REAL MECHS...hmm plastech..no wait even plastech was tougher than this stuff, this stuff bends, sorta like rubber...and IT MOVES...ooohhh ahhhh...its bigger than my REAL MECHS though...I think I will let it prune the bushes at the Memorial Gardens or something.
And the infantry...they got this weird wlking into the wind pose...the vehicle is huge, I parked soem Savannah Masters in the body of it!
Anyways, I think I am gonna make up a Battletech cheesy sheet for the Lawn Boy Mech.
ErichRaulfestone
06/25/02 10:42 AM

LOL!!!! Now THATS what should be done to click-tech...
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!

......and I went......
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Extra information
2 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 29825

Contact Admins Sarna.net