Reportage from Origins: MW:DA Seminar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Chas
07/10/02 01:41 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey guys. Just got muy report from the MW:DA seminar at Origins 2002 up.

http://www.evilnet.net/origins.shtml

Lemme know what you think.
---
"High necked fashions just became the IN thing here on Tharkad."

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Greyslayer
07/10/02 01:51 AM

'Instead, the jump is giving them a chance to re-focus the novels on smaller unit actions which can actually be represented in play. As well as opening up a wider scope so that new authors could be brought in to give their own personal views into the BattleTech universe.'

Statements like this make me laugh. Isn't that the role of the writer rather than the standing point of the written universe? It details a lack of skill on the writers/developers path to totally re-write history rather than any other aspect.

Maybe you could've placed your rant at the start as a 'link' rather than as the body of the preview itself.

Anyway thanks for previewing it for us and posting a link.

Greyslayer
Chas
07/10/02 03:47 AM

Tell me though. How do you go from a set of novels that encompass the entire BT universe to a novel with the same characters that only covers a single planet, or a continent on that planet, or a city on that continent?

It just doesn't quite work well that way.
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Spartan
07/10/02 10:00 AM

Thanks for the update Chas.

I have to say though that the changes they're making make me want to either cry or throw up, I can't tell which. We have to buy booster packs in order to have the units we need to win a game? We can't just take a mech (or any other unit for that matter) and move in and kick some butt? We have to have unit combinations and special moves? What is that? Are we playing a strategy game or a fight based video game? Not to mention not being able to design. I hate that. I know they have a target audience and all and that they want to simplify things for them. But when I started playing Battletech I was the age of the current target audience. And I could understand it quite well. And designing my own mechs (and other equipment) and creating my own units was what really made it the most fun. Especially when I didn't have a group I could play against.

End of rant.

Begining of question. I have heard several different conflicting reports. Can anyone tell me what is going to happen to Battletech when it catches up to mwda?
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Chas
07/10/02 12:42 PM

No. You don't have to have any specific unit.

You DO, however probably want to maintain a combined arms unit. Simply because they're more versatile than a pair of mechs.

Mechs are very powerful, but if you swarm them with infantry of equal point value.....

Basically infantry is useful for swarming mechs and moving formations. Formation movement is fairly evil. Mostly because you're only pushing one of the units at a time.

Vehicles are more powerful and more durable than infantry. They're great for fire support.

Mechs are REALLY tough, and have multiple attack methods (usually a melee attack and a ranged attack). Plus, pushing them doesn't cost damage clicks like it does for vehicles and infantry. That;s what the heat dial is for. When you push a mech (move/attack/action in consecutive rounds), you take a click of heat. The more heat you build, the more more your stats temporarily degrade. However, unlike vehicles and infantry, you can improve those stats again, merely by letting the mech cool down.

As to not being able to design. If you want that level of depth, you need to use CBT. It's just that simple.

They're not merely catering to an age-specific audience. They're also targetting a group of players whose previous gaming experience has NOT been D&D and StarFleet Battles. But those whose previous gaming experience has been Pokemon, Magic, and MageKnight.

As to what BT is going to do when it catches up with the MW:DA timeline.

That's going to be quite a while. During the Clans story arc, they covered approximately 17 game years in about 12 real years.

At that rate, it'll take about 42 years before the CBT story arc catches up.

Also, as the preview states, there are talks going on with FanPro about publishing sourcebook material for the MW:DA era. So that CBT and MW:DA players who wish to play in that era, can do so, and still enjoy the same level of sourcebook support they had under CBT.
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Durango
07/10/02 01:24 PM

"Someone made the point that it was different than BT."

What a suprise...just like the guys in infomercials:

"Well, gee, Mr. Popiel! This looks completely different from the original product!"
"That's right, Candy! Let me tell you all about it..."

What a lovely opportunity for a segue. (Planted shill, anyone?)

"But please note. While there are many strange factions in the new era, the old factions haven't gone away. The Successor Houses, and the Clans are still there. And they're still very powerful."

So, let me get this straight...Stone's confederation exists alongside of all the Houses? This seems to be at variance with other things I have read.

"Also, as was mentioned at the MageKnight/HeroClix/MWDA joint seminar, they are looking at ways to adapt the BT rules for play with MWDA figures for those who wish to use this scale."

Ah, so that's it. Once they have made rules which allow the use of MWDA figs, what is the motivation for a person who started with MWDA figs to switch over to real Battletech? Especially if such a person has a LOT of these Overpriced Cheap Plastic figures?

This also flies in the face of the whole "MWDA is a starter game to get people invoved with real Battletech" theory.

I gotta say, it sure looks like they are making every effort to replace real Battletech with this overpriced cheap plastic changeling.

"At this point, the question was raised about why the MWDA Spider mech looked so much different from the CBT mini. There's several reasons why the Spider, and other mechs, may come out looking differently in MWDA than they do in CBT.

One of the reasons is a production issue. There's a lot more that can be done with plastic than can be done with spin-cast metal minis."

Sorry, how's that? Oh, you mean if you want to make dollies...Plastic Posable Action Figures. Ok, two responses to this, I'm not into playing with dolls anymore (outgrew that 30 years ago) and second, any metal figure can be posed...without the need for re-posing. (Posable Action Figures! What's next, fashion accessories?)

However, one thing is for sure...you can churn out plastic figures quickly and cheaply all day long, and the profit margin is higher, too! (That's one thing out of that "lot more" you can do with plastic...you can make a "lot more" of it, and you can charge a "lot more" than it's worth, thereby making a "lot more" money.)

"The next is an artisitic [sic] issue. Lets face it. Some of the mechs in CBT are just BUTT UGLY."

Ok, now that's just mean.

I'm sure that Plastic Posable Action Figures (PPAF), once they start cranking them out, will have their fair share of losers, too...in fact, I daresay more. (Based on quantity and manufacturing materials.)

"Also, WizKids plans on releasing product on a nice, steady schedule. So they don't flood the market with a bunch of figures all at once when people may not be able to afford them all simultaneously."

Plus it keeps a steady income to them. Durn nice of them to put it in terms which make them look better, tho. No, strike that...it was predictable. Nice marketing spin, there, tho.

"Part of the reason for [the jump in the story line] was, and is, that the current story line had more or less written itself into a corner. Novels were beginning to fall, more or less, into the same general outline as the story line progressed. And while many people would willingly pay big bucks to see Victor Davion come, see, and conquer until the end of time, it was getting old. Both from a readership standpoint, and from the standpoint of the authors."

Plus, Mike was feeling a little put out that he wasn't getting enough money. Not to mention that the previous publishers were cramping his style by limiting the number of pages per novel. He said so himself, in his letter to the masses..."don't diss me, there's money to be made here"..."just go sell your cheeseburger heartattacks and buy this new game [implied "you livin'-in-your-parent's-basement, workin-at-the-Burgershack-geeks, I make more money than you'll ever SEE in your lifetimes, so just shutup, losers"]"

"The range of "classic" mechs in MWDA is going to span between 2750 and 3067. And they're going to be starting and concentrating more on the popular mechs.

Also, because of the production costs, and the sheer quantity of pre-existing mechs from CBT, it's going to take quite a while for them to introduce a lot.

A ballpark figure on how many was given however. They said we could honestly expect between 72-100 classic mechs to be introduced in MWDA over the lifetime of the product."

Ok, still not clear why I would need to buy all new PPAF pieces when I have perfectly suitable metal 'Mechs. Oh, now I remember...because unless you have the click-bases you can't play. And you can't get the click-bases...unless you buy the Overpriced Cheap Plastic (OCP).

So either I can't play MWDA...or I have to buy a whole new collection. Kind of a neat way to force people to buy, isn't it? Which isn't so bad, considering that nobody is FORCING me to play MWDA...

until the other shoe drops, and this changeling actually DOES replace Battletech. THEN all support for real Battletech is lost, and this game is all that's left.

I'm seeing nothing but bleak future for real Battletech. It's depressing.

But anyway, thanks for the update.
Khan_Robinette
07/10/02 05:14 PM

"The next is an artisitic issue. Lets face it. Some of the mechs in CBT are just BUTT UGLY. "

And the Lawn Boy mech they have premiered is a work of art??? The only person in my house that likes the Lawn Boy is my kid and that is because I let him and the cat play with it instead of my real mechs.
Plastic vs metal..tell me which you rather have your sword made of in a fight?
Thanks for the update and the link interesting article but the usual crap from gotta-take-a-Whiz-Kids.
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
Chas
07/10/02 05:45 PM

So, let me get this straight...Stone's confederation exists alongside of all the Houses? This seems to be at variance with other things I have read.

Yup. This is why we ask that people try not to go up in flames until they have all the information.

Ah, so that's it. Once they have made rules which allow the use of MWDA figs, what is the motivation for a person who started with MWDA figs to switch over to real Battletech? Especially if such a person has a LOT of these Overpriced Cheap Plastic figures?

Apparently you missed the point. It's a way to allow people with MW:DA figs to use CBT rules to with MW:DA figs. Instead of buying a new set of metal minis. Most of it is simply going to be scale adjustments.

As to the motivation? That's different for everybody.

This also flies in the face of the whole "MWDA is a starter game to get people invoved with real Battletech" theory.

No. It doesn't. You start out playing MW:DA. Later on, if you move to a more complex game like CBT, there are a set of conversions available so you can bring your MW:DA figs with you and use them (like people use proxies in current BT games).

I gotta say, it sure looks like they are making every effort to replace real Battletech with this overpriced cheap plastic changeling.

That's only because you're not looking closely enough at it.

Plastic Posable Action Figures

They're not talking about posable action figures. They're talking about the level of detail that can be brought into a figure in plastic that would be difficult and cost-prohibitive to reproduce in metal.

And how do you get off thinking they're charging MORE for this? $20 for a starter set. Includes a mech, two vehicles, and 4 (IIRC) infantry units. $10 for a booster set. Includes a mech, a vehicle, and two infantry units.

How much would this cost you in metal at the CBT scale? And how much do you think it'd cost you in metal at the MW:DA scale?

Ok, now that's just mean.

Hey. The truth hurts. The original spider was butt ugly. Face it. And again, the aesthetic and production reasons aren't the only reasons, as the report states.

Plus it keeps a steady income to them.

Jeeze. Don't miss a beat do you.

1: It's a BAD THING &lt:TM&gt: to sit there and glut the market with tons and tons of figures all at once. Most of their target market simply doesn't have the cash on hand to collect all the figs all at once.

2: Heaven forfend them actually doing more than breaking even on a product they put out. I mean heck. It's only a business! They should just give the stuff away because some whiner wants it all his way.

Plus, Mike was feeling a little put out that he wasn't getting enough money.

And I'd like to know exactly how much experience you've had working in the business as an author. It'd make your arguments on this much stronger than they are.

Ok, still not clear why I would need to buy all new PPAF pieces when I have perfectly suitable metal 'Mechs. Oh, now I remember...because unless you have the click-bases you can't play.

At least make an effort to get your facts straight man. Some people, especially the older BT mini collectors, may want to collect MW:DA click-base versions of the metal minis they already have. And possibly play CBT in MW:DA scale with MW:DA figs.

And there's nothing stopping you from using metal minis or proxies in BT games and tournaments as you always have. So your charge of "if we don't have the plastic figs we can't play" is ludicrous. But you already know this right?

So either I can't play MWDA...or I have to buy a whole new collection.

What? You want to play MW:DA with the figs you already have? Sorry. You can't. Why should you be allowed to import figs from another game into MW:DA? And, as much as you seem to hate MW:DA (with what little you've seen of it), why would you want to?

until the other shoe drops, and this changeling actually DOES replace Battletech.

Wow. Talk about totally missing the clue-train.

MW:DA is not, never was intended as, and never will be a replacement for CBT. Got it?

I'm seeing nothing but bleak future for real Battletech.

Because you won't let yourself actually see anything else. CBT could go on another 30 years, and you'd be predicting it's demise at least once a month the entire time.

---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Chas
07/10/02 05:47 PM

Plastic vs metal..tell me which you rather have your sword made of in a fight?

That's not the point though. The point is that metal minis on the scale of MW:DA with the level of detail they're at would have been prohibitively expensive.

How many kids have $50 for a starter pack and $30 for a booster?
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Karagin
07/10/02 05:52 PM

In reply to:

Chas wrote:
No. It doesn't. You start out playing MW:DA. Later on, if you move to a more complex game like CBT, there are a set of conversions available so you can bring your MW:DA figs with you and use them (like people use proxies in current BT games).

Using in proxies in BT doesn't change the scale or game play...using the MWDA plastic toys does...since they are taller then the metal minis.

In reply to:

Chas wrote:

What? You want to play MW:DA with the figs you already have? Sorry. You can't. Why should you be allowed to import figs from another game into MW:DA? And, as much as you seem to hate MW:DA (with what little you've seen of it), why would you want to?

This is nice, can't use BT figures in MWDA, BUT you can use MWDA figures in BT...sorry it should work both ways.

This is pointless WK is not targettng the BT crowd and it is showing. They want the Pokeimon/Salior Moon crowd.

Another nail in the coffin for MWDA...

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
07/10/02 05:54 PM

The questions is how many kids are going to be spending mommy and daddy's money to buy the boosters and starter kits...

And cheap plastic crap is better? Hell the plastic mechs from CityTech and 4th Ed. BT Box set look 5 times better then the MWDA lumps of plastic.
Karagin

PeterSmith
07/10/02 06:13 PM

"This is nice, can't use BT figures in MWDA, BUT you can use MWDA figures in BT...sorry it should work both ways."

Why?
Peter Smith
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
Karagin
07/10/02 07:45 PM

Let's see:

1) It allows the existing fan base of BT to play the new game WITHOUT having to buy all new pieces. And this way the transition to the new timeline and such would be easier and smoother, plus it would stop a lot of the arguments that are on going over whether or not WK cares in any way about the current fan base of BT.

2) Would it not make sense to have a rule set that would allow for use of existing mech miniatures so as to allow those who only wish to use certain parts of the new timeline the ability to do so without having to buy all new miniatures...

And finial it would go a long way to showing that WK is thre for the fans of BOTH games and not just favoring one game.

Now since I am sure you will have a counter arguement, please tell us why it SHOULDN'T be a rule set to use the current metal miniatures in MWDA...

I am looking forward to hear this line of reasoning as I am sure are others.
Karagin

novakitty
07/10/02 09:36 PM

MW:DA is supposed to take place after a significant technology loss. Therefore, not every mech is likely to be seen, especially not custom designs. If CBT -> MW:DA conversion instructions were released, would it help either game?

If Dark Ages is meant to be an introduction to Battletech, it makes sense that players should be able to use their hard-bought, familiar units. They may (probably will) discover that the Dark Ages units are usually primitive and weak compared to 3025 mechs, thus encouraging them to go with the Classic units.

The above is based on my personnal observations (especially the part about people being power-hungry).
Disagree if you will, but this just may introduce a whole new sibko of munchkins to Battletech.
meow
Warner_Doles
07/10/02 10:25 PM

And cheap plastic crap is better? Hell the plastic mechs from CityTech and 4th Ed. BT Box set look 5 times better then the MWDA lumps of plastic.

[Rand On]

No they aren't they suck. I have them all. And I will tell you this they suck to the Nth degree. I have used them for filler they are that bad. The ones coming in MWDA put those cheap crap plastic to shame. If anything I have ever hated were those minatures.. they sucked! The freaking Catapult looked like a bloated warthog...grr.. don't get me started. You are as wrong as wrong gets on this one Karagin. Those things SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!!

[Rant Off!]

Karagin
07/10/02 10:26 PM

If you say so...I disagree.
Karagin

Karagin
07/10/02 10:27 PM

Just what we need...more munchkins...
Karagin

Bob_Richter
07/10/02 10:37 PM

>>>Hey. The truth hurts. The original spider was butt ugly. Face it.<<<

I will disagree with you on this solitary point, Chas.

The Spider is visually one of my favorite 'Mechs. I was VERY vexed to see its appealing and unique visual profile replaced with something so....generic.

UGLY is a matter of personal taste, as is whether or not 'Mechs are SUPPOSED to be ugly.

-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Bob_Richter
07/10/02 10:42 PM

You don't. It you want to write a novel on a smaller scale, write a novel on a smaller scale.

There are over four trillion people in the Inner Sphere. Why stick us with the same characters over and over and over and over...

...get my drift?

Oh well.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
novakitty
07/10/02 11:27 PM

Nah, all the new mechs are ugly, the Mackie, now was a beutiful piece of machinery...sorry, I cannot even type that with a straight face.
meow
Chas
07/11/02 01:55 AM

Using in proxies in BT doesn't change the scale or game play...using the MWDA plastic toys does...since they are taller then the metal minis.

No kidding. Other than the scale conversions, what else is going to change?

This is nice, can't use BT figures in MWDA, BUT you can use MWDA figures in BT...sorry it should work both ways.

Because YOU, Karagin say so right?

It's a new product with a different audience that BT enjoys.

And remember that part about NOT being as much of a barrier to new players as CBT does?

Oh yes. And how are they to run click-base conversions for your mech?

This is pointless WK is not targettng the BT crowd and it is showing.

Finally sinking in eh?

Another nail in the coffin for MWDA...

Simply because they don't aim the product at a shrinking market segment.

Ho-KAY!

If you're expecting MW:DA to be a BT add-on, get ready for a MASSIVE disappointment.

It ain't. And it won't be. Yes, some of the source material for the timeline will get translated over to CBT supplements. But the game itself isn't going to be interchangeable with CBT.

Now if you're done with your predictions of doom based on statements of the obvious, move along.
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Chas
07/11/02 01:57 AM

Hell the plastic mechs from CityTech and 4th Ed. BT Box set look 5 times better then the MWDA lumps of plastic.

Do you have an argument that ISN'T based in hyperbolic statements of personal preference?
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Chas
07/11/02 02:08 AM

It allows the existing fan base of BT to play the new game WITHOUT having to buy all new pieces.

Why should you be allowed to?

Do you ask to sub Pokemon TCG cards in M:TG?

Do you try to use your minis in a game of checkers and demand physical attacks?

Let's see if I can make this any clearer.

IT IS A DIFFERENT GAME! YOU CANNOT IMPORT CBT PIECES IN BECAUSE THEY DON'T WORK WITHIN THE GAME FRAMEWORK!

There. Am I getting through?

And this way the transition to the new timeline and such would be easier and smoother,

How? Pray tell?

The new timeline is happening regardless of what happens. You can play CBT in the new timeline. You can play MW:DA which is set in the new timeline. You can even use MW:DA pieces with scale conversions to play CBT in the new timeline. But you still cannot bring game pieces from outside of the MW:DA lineup in.

plus it would stop a lot of the arguments that are on going over whether or not WK cares in any way about the current fan base of BT.

They care about the fan base. They don't care about people who simply want in on the ground floor of a new game without any investment in it whatsoever, because of superficial similarities between their new game and the one these leeches are playing.

If you simply want to play CBT, you need not make any further investments.

If you want to play MW:DA, YOU HAVE TO BUY THE GAME.

If you want to play CBT with MW:DA figures, you have to buy MW:DA figures.

Those are your three options.

Stop daming WK and FP for not giving you the option to come into a new game with an unfair advantage that brand new players don't have.

Would it not make sense to have a rule set that would allow for use of existing mech miniatures so as to allow those who only wish to use certain parts of the new timeline the ability to do so without having to buy all new miniatures...

No, because it gives you an unfair advantage that brand new players don't have.

And finial it would go a long way to showing that WK is thre for the fans of BOTH games and not just favoring one game.

No it would not. It would simply show they don't have a shread of business sense, and would allow a bunch of old-time BT players to field massive forces that simply could not be matched by new players.

I figure that, since I have restated this now a few times in the same post, you should be able to catch the gist of it.
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Chas
07/11/02 02:11 AM

Bob. Then you're going to have to wait till Mike's first book comes out to find out the fictional reasons that the mech looks different.
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Chas
07/11/02 02:12 AM

Mostly because people who ARE happy with the current set of novels begin bitching "show more of Victor!", "let's see more Clan Councils!"

The jump allows them to start fresh with fewer of these entanglements.
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Acolyte
07/11/02 02:59 AM

I think that's the way they should have gone in the first place. That way you don't have the escelation with every book. A series that deals with the big events in the inner sphere is great, but it shouldn't be the only thing written. I like the Gray Death books for that reason. Granted the memory core in the third did effect the universe, but how was not in the book.

I think they should have had much more in the way of small scale.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Karagin
07/11/02 03:03 AM

Do you have a counter agruement that isn't based on your personal friendship with those making MWDA?
Karagin

Karagin
07/11/02 03:08 AM

No I am not done.

No not because I say so, because it would make sense to not only draw in new players and a new market but also to keep the current fans and market in the loop and allow them a way in that would really help BOTH games.

But some how that was lost you and the others.

Shrinking market...right and the 8 to 14 years olds are going to be playing MWDA after six months? Some how I think the next fad will have taken them away from MWDA...just like all the other collectiable games it will have a good 6 months and then die off...and the prices they are asking for a starter and a booster are not going to help sell it to the actual folks buying it...the parents.

But hey you and Jordan seem to know more then anyone else about who is going to be buying this game. So please tell us more so we can all be up to speed on this marvelous wonder of yours.

But never mind, it's clear enough were things stand and so let's leave it at that.
Karagin

Karagin
07/11/02 03:14 AM

Amazing...

You say it's a different, yet you have said there will rules to bring the MWDA units in to Battletech...ok two different games...sure right if you say so.

IF the current miniatures, ie the metal ones, could be used in MWDA it would kill the biggest arguement against MWDA that folks have, the need to buy all new mechs.

What unfair adavantage? How will having a Fireball be unfair?" Or having a Patton tank? The units are CONVERTED to work with in the scale and system of the MWDA, thus they would have the same draw backs as all MWDA units. Nothign unfair there.

Oh the new players can match and beat our collections since they will have to buy tons of Plastic mechs and such to be able to play the game...thus rendering our stuff out numbered.

But never mind, it's clear enough were things stand and so let's leave it at that.

Peter, I am still looking forward to your comments...
Karagin

Greyslayer
07/11/02 03:51 AM

I haven't heard much of that. I have probably heard more of 'why haven't they continued the Jerehmiah Rose series?' than people demanding more of Victor written in books.

Maybe you are thinking along the lines of if they write about a major character (which invariably they do much to my dismay) that the major character should be Victor.

They had never written a novel based in Taurian Concordat as far as I know. Nor have I heard anything of the Outworlds Alliance written. Only later did they write about the Magistry and that was pure puke material (again major characters and a non-major novel).

'The jump allows them to start fresh with fewer of these entanglements'

It does? But you have the same authors who wrote the small story major character method for the current universe, how can that work? Even in the submitted short story the person was related to someone who was a backbone of the history.

All I can say is Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Greyslayer

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 56386

Contact Admins Sarna.net