Question for you all.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Warner_Doles
12/24/02 09:55 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
It's been over a full year now that FanPro has been producing Classic BattleTech material for game.

The question is: How do you all feel about the game, product and universe now (Classic BattleTech only, not the MechWarrior Darkage timeline. I understand that we've not done anything about the Jihad yet and that will be awhile before we touch on that.).
Toastrider
12/24/02 10:20 PM

As far as CBT goes, I'm rather pleased that it's continued and prospered. I am -very- happy that the Unseen will be making their return (according to your own website) in a TRO; I miss classic Mechs like the Archer and Phoenix Hawk.

Frankly, I would be happy if you avoided touching on Jihad until you had a better writeup of the events and battles (yes, I know, that's coming). My opinion of the Jihad as is should be pretty well known. In fact, I imagine some folks here would like for me to NOT talk about it

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
Bloodrider
12/25/02 02:07 AM

I, personally, am very well pleased. My thanks to everyone who has contributed.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room..." -from Dr. Strangelove
Karagin
12/25/02 11:26 AM

So far nothing has really been done, beyond the Unseen Project Phoniex.

The TRO was expected and since every thing else has been or is late, I can't really see any major improvements over FASA. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am calling it as I see it.

The Commando run events are fun, but the lack of MASSIVE advertisment is hurting the game, a lot of shops that once carried BT products no longer do because they haven't gotten or seen any ads to justify their carrying a (as one hobby shop put it) a dead product.

Over all I would say if I had to rate FP on a scale of A being perfect and F being Failing, I would give you a D.

So my suggestions would be to find away to get MORE ads out, have more events that bring in people, find a way to put some distance between BT and MWDA, and push BT on every front, like new novels, new sourcebooks, online events, bigger support from FP at connventions other then just GenCon and Origins...there are other cons out there and there should be a lot of support from the company showing the solid support group behind the Commandos.

That's about all I can think of right now...I hope you understand where I am coming from and if you have any questions feel free to PM or email and we can talk about them...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Bob_Richter
12/25/02 01:19 PM

Well...

Map Set 7 was cool.
So was RS: Aero (except that the sheets are for AT2, and not some kind of vastly improved AT3...)

TR3067 was weak (Battletech already had too many 'Mechs.)

So was the FedCom Civil War, and attending sourcebook, and all the Coleman novels set therein. (I actually liked Blaine's)

Project Phoenix is the kewlest thing since...well, since the reseens were unseen.

So, in other words, the Universe has been sucking lately, due to the FCCW plot, but some of the non-universe-related stuff was pretty kewl, and THERE ARE ENOUGH 'MECHS ALREADY!

-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Nightward
12/25/02 05:03 PM

Well, I'm glad that FanPro is going to continue to produce the game we all know and love. However, as some have already said, you are falling into the same traps as FASA did.

'Mechs are cool, but they are not the be-all and end-all of the game. A new TR for vehicles would be great to see. Some have already suggested producing a Level 3 TR, and I think that, too, is a good idea.

Someone also said that you needed more advertisements. I don't know how things work, but if you slapped stickers and order forms for BattleTech into all the new MechWarrior and MechAssualt packages, that could only help. I swear, FASA committed suicide by not putting advertising for BattleTech into those games. The number of people who play MechWarrior and remain unaware that BT is the game upon which it is based...

I am looking forward to FM: Updates, as it will bring the older FMs (FM: Draconis Combine and FM: Free Worlds League) in line with more recent developments. But what I'd really like top see is a re-release of the old House Books, bought up to date as well. Knowing unit strengths and composition is nice, but it's also good to know how your realm is goin socially, economically etc, and I think they really add depth to the game.

Like everyone else who does not play FedSuns or LyrCom, I felt a bit left out in the recent plot arc. The Dragon got its fair share of attention during Operation Bulldog, but the Free Worlds League has been totally reduced to a supporting player, used whenever a writer needs a reason for the billions of new 'Mechs they have suddenly deployed (uhhh...we bought them from the Free Worlds League. Yeah, yeah, that's where we got them) or as reinforcements ("Hey, Thomas. Mind if we borrow the Knights of the Inner Sphere, again?"). I think it would be good if you did something like White Wolf did with WereWolf:The Apocalypse tribe novels, and release a novel set entirely within each realm.

Which brings me to my next point: novels. I have heard that there will be no more CBT novels. If that is really true...

And, of course, we come to thje MW: Dark Age plot arc. I don't suppose there's any chance of FanPro going rogue and saying that whatever Whiz Kidz does occurs in an alternate timeline?

That's the criticism out of the way. On to the good bits.

Project Phoenix is coming along well. It's nice to see the Unseen back.

The production of RS: 3067, and subsequent Map Sheets, RS books, and the MW Companion prove that FanPro is still awake and aware and trying to produce supplements for the game for its customers. Excellent work.

The CBT forums allow a way for BT fans to talk directly to the head honchos, with the game development and ask the author forums. It's nice to know that you can interact with the people making the game.

The cover art competitions were a good way of getting people involved (even if I didn't win a thing, dammit )

It's just really good to see our game surviving in the form we have come to know and l0ove over the years. Good work.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Vapor
12/26/02 03:04 AM

First of all, I would like to say thank you to FanPro for deciding to continue making CBT products available, and I hope they continue to do so for some time.

I am a self-diagnosed CBT addict. Whether that's a good thing or not, I shall leave to you to decide. However, it does mean that I continue to look for BattleTech stuff whenever I can afford it. When FASA threw in the towel, and WizKids took over, I waited to see how the wind would blow, and when I found out about MWDA, I was sadly disappointed. HOWEVER, it wasn't much after that sad day, that I heard about FanPro and CBT. I was VERY glad to hear about their website, and I promptly spent a little over an hour exploring it.

I love the site. It's very well done. My one complaint, however, is the fact that products cannot be purchased directly from the site. Since I moved to Guam, I have searched in vain to find a store selling anything OTHER than MW:DA. There is one store I have been told about that might have it, that I haven't had a chance to get to as of yet, but the way my luck has run so far, I'm not holding my breath. Is there anyway that FanPro can get some stuff out here to Guam? Or, at the very least, provide a way to purchase products directly from the webpage?

Other than that, I have to say keep up the good work. I hope CBT will continue to be produced and expanded for many years.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Cheapbuzz
12/26/02 05:02 AM

Well I havent bought any items that contain that "classic" word. Although I am happy to see the unseens make a comeback. It will allways be called Battletech to me.
Warner_Doles
12/26/02 11:48 AM

I want to thank you all for your responses. For the most part everyone is very happy from what I see with the job that FanPro has been doing with the game and universe since it was given the license to product BattleTech for WizKids. The Classic BattleTech Team is working hard and will continue to do so to bring you the very best product we can for your game play enjoyment and enhancement.

While some may consider what we have done is not impressive the rest are genuinely pleased and wanting more. This is very good. As you may already know we have a big line of new product upcoming for the next year and half. And the things planned after that will blow you away. As may you already know Field Manual: Update is coming out in April. And in it we are having a major Naval Battle (A HUGE ONE) that will be played out by the fans and the results of it will determine what happens in the Field Manual (as we did in FedCom Civil War Source Book). FYI, there may be more of these in the future too. We just have to wait and see for the right time and product to do it.

There are a few things that I will address that have been asked.

1.) Classic Name: Changing Classic BattleTech back to BattleTech cannot be done. Classic BattleTech is the name we have to use. It separates from the past as well as it makes us distinctly different from MechWarrior Darkage.

2.) Novels: The Novels are not set in the newer timeline of MechWarrior Darkage. While some are disregarding this timeline it is the BattleTech Timeline that is being written about now. It’s really no different then jumping from 3030 to 3050 when the brought the clans in. Classic BattleTech has the great task of filling in what happened in between. Will it be done by novels? Not at this time. Source books? Pretty good chance of that. Is there a chance we may have novels again? Sure there is always a chance. As much as we all want them, the Novels venue won’t change at this time.

3.) Alternate Time lines: Not going to happen with the official canon universe. Our future is where the MWDA is at. Yet that may take 60 years of real time to get there. Look how long it took us to get from 3050 to 3067! Getting there is where the fun will be at. There are some many things we can do and we plan on doing allot! I just hope I’m alive to see them all!

4.) Time Line is at an end: This is not correct. Because Endgames ended the CBT timeline for novels didn’t end the timeline for the canon universe. We are going to move forward when the time comes. We’ve got allot of other things to set up properly before we can just jump into a Holocaust-Armageddon style war that the Jihad is about. We are moving at a pace necessary to lay the ground work to do it right.

5.) Advertisement: While it would be wonderful to advertise like MWDA it simply isn’t possible. Classic BattleTech is advertising though. This month Games Unplugged (http://www.gamesunplugged.com) #23 (out in late December) will not only display the front of the CBT boxed game on its cover, but will contain a large page spread about CBT, the products we've got out and the ones we've got coming. While this may not be a major media blitz it’s what we have and we are making the most out of it.

6.) Continuity and Spelling Errors: These are being addressed. FedCom Civil War had some spelling errors in it. It was felt that getting that out by GenCon 2002 was more important. We didn’t have an editor at that time (We do now though.). It was done by the team. Knowing there were errors plans were set in motion to help identify them so that they could be corrected before the second print run should that happen the day the book was released. Continuity is being worked on too. One of the things I have come to learn is that where something is missing or is different then before doesn’t necessarily mean there is a continuity problem. Things change or the information originally given by IC character providing it was either wrong or had been manipulated to hide something. I’m sure many have seen some interruptions by WoB on certain source books? The writers are very aware of making sure that what is written is correct in accordance to the plan for the universe.

7.) New Tech: I can safely tell you that the arms race IS over. So you shouldn’t have to worry about my Pulse Plasma Project Cannon being made canon or level 2 now! It was sweet though... 15 tons, 30 heat, 10 criticals, max range 40 hexes and 50 points of damage. Oh yeah -2 to gunnery! No seriously no new weapons systems. This doesn’t mean that we may in the future publish a new ‘Mech or new configuration of a ‘Mech, fighter and so on. You just won’t be seeing a new weapon or whatnot.

8.) CBT’s Msg Board: Is awkward to some because of how it is threaded. You can view it in flat mode just like most of the boards found. Threaded is used because it’s far easier getting to the newest post. You only have to set in your personal preferences for flat viewing. Yeah I know there is allot of posts. That’s because we have 5200 plus members now and less than 20% have never posted (they lurk like many do here). I am hoping to have 10,000 members by this time next year! Everyone is welcome to participate. Find what you want to join in on and have a blast. You can select the threads or boards to subscribe to if you want. That will make it easier for you to keep up with everything. How do you think the CBT.com Staff do it?!

9.) Word Limit: Yes we are still with ROC. But thanks to WizKidsgames the limit has been changed. We aren’t limited to 80k anymore. It’s well over 100k from what I understand. So this shouldn’t be an issue anymore (hopefully it won’t).

10.) Trial of Retribution: Is not for the feint of heart. Be prepared for a slobber knocker of a battle. One that hasn’t been seen since the 1st Succession War! Its pure mayhem, death and destruction! Come February 1st, we’ll find out who survives or dies!

In closing the future is bright and we have some great and wonderful things coming in the future. If you haven’t read Randall’s last BattleChat I recommend you do. Matter of fact, you should read the last few. Thank you for supporting the game and keeping the faith. Thank you for your time.
Nightward
12/26/02 04:46 PM

Excellent. Thanks for asking us our input and replying to our points. Nice.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Rotwang
12/26/02 06:27 PM

7.) New Tech: I can safely tell you that the arms race IS over. So you shouldn’t have to worry about my Pulse Plasma Project Cannon being made canon or level 2 now! It was sweet though... 15 tons, 30 heat, 10 criticals, max range 40 hexes and 50 points of damage. Oh yeah -2 to gunnery! No seriously no new weapons systems. This doesn’t mean that we may in the future publish a new ‘Mech or new configuration of a ‘Mech, fighter and so on. You just won’t be seeing a new weapon or whatnot.

I think it was a bad idea to keep most of the stuff in books like Max Tech L3 ... all those interesting features and options that will never be used because a lot of people think that L3 leads to "Apocalyptic Munchkinism". While L2 is great because it is "tournament approved".

I don't give a honk about Tournament play, but for some reason it has dominated gaming for many years and ends up compartimenting and limit great games like BT.
Vapor
12/29/02 07:56 AM

Warner, is there any possibility that FanPro could talk to any of the movie companies about possibly producing a CBT movie? If this is a possibility, and there is anything I can do to help, please PM me and let me know. I would love to see a CBT movie (or 2, or 3, or 5 ) be made.

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Cadet
01/07/03 03:22 AM

I am not impressed.

I'm not even going to mention the storyline. The Jihad was appearantly already decided on, and the stuff after that is out of their hands.

I think the artwork is in keeping with FASA'a traditions: generally bad. The stuff in TRO3067 was just so bad. I really think Plog needs to be kept away from drawing original 'Mechs. He does OK when he has to work with something that is already there, but his cartoonish style is just detrimental to the fantasy of the BattleMech. The other guy (the one who drew the IS 'Mechs) is just as bad, maybe even worse. The Project Phoenix stuff isn't much better, but it is better than nothing I suppose. My suggestion is get rid of all the talent currently involved and get people who can draw along the lines of Loose, Dietrick, and Chaffee (yes I saw his aerospace stuff). They set the tone for the artwork and it is being ruined by the new stuff.

The writing: formulaic and uninspired. Try getting someone who can use a little flair in his/her writing. Maybe get some of the better fan-fic people to write some of the sidebars in upcoming sourcebooks. (Co-incidentally, the Sidebars are sorely missed. They were often the best part of the book in my opinion.)

Fan Interaction: better than FASA, but then again what wasn't? I like the idea of having games that actually change some event, but it should stick to BattleTech, and not use AeroTech or whatever.

1) Too graphicly inclined. Sometimes less is more. At least you don't have popups or animations...yet.
2) I dislike the idea of having to login just to lurk on the message board. I know of a few people who won't even look at the boards just for that reason.
3) Organization needs to be streamlined somewhat. A sitemap would be great. It is easy to know that the information you want is somewhere and not know where.

Printing: Same problems as before with quality control. Whether this is an editing or a printing problem, it needs to be addressed. Not like it in a new problem though. Also RS3067 just looked...cheesy. I understand it used Heavy Metal, but it doesn't look like a professionally crafted product. It looks like someone just printed out the sheets from the program and there you are. The previous record sheets just looked better somehow.

I guess if you want to keep BattleTech alive then this stuff is better than nothing, but other than having someone talk to us regularly (and it should be Bills and not Warner unless someone is being groomed for heir appearant) I don't see any improvement over FASA.

But then again I'm just a bitter hatefilled little man.
Does not play well with others.
Cadet
01/08/03 12:19 AM

Remember the Cartoon? Or RobotJox?

And if by some cruel twist of fate a movie is made, just imagine the fanboy reactions to it. Disputes about some canon fact or continuity, the units being involved, the characters, 'Mechs and all of that. Don't imagine it: go look at any number of LOTR or Star Trek websites and you can see it for yourself.
Toastrider
01/08/03 12:30 AM

I'm gonna have to go with Cadet on this one. Mind you, I've liked both LotR movies so far; however, Peter Jackson took some liberties with the storyline in the Two Towers, and I imagine the purists are going utterly apesh*t right now.

The best we could hope for in regards to BattleTech might be a series produced on the Sci-Fi Channel, by the folks who did Space: Above And Beyond and/or Farscape. Those are the only people I'd trust with the job.

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
Vapor
01/09/03 02:57 AM

Actually, I have never seen the cartoon or Robojox, or anything like that, and frankly I'd be scared to see them, what with how cartoons are done these days. When I say "movie," I mean "movie." Not some piece of animated crap.

From your post, I'm not too sure exactly what you would be objecting to, but I assume you are worried about the movie diverting from BT history. This is also a major concern of mine. However, if the right people are involved in scripting, there shouldn't be too much or a problem there. There are many plots that could be chosen from. The only real difficulty I can see is that I am sure they would want to include some kind of love story or some such in the movie, and BT history isn't too prolific with those.

As far as LOTR and Star Trek go... I have always been a fan of Tolkien's works, and prolly always will be. I've seen the Hobbit movies and frankly wasn't too impressed with them. However, I am VERY impressed with the LOTR movies so far. IMHO, they should redo The Hobbit to the same quality.

I like Star Trek technology, because it is believable (if you have a good imagination ). If you ever look at any of the Star Trek manuals, you could almost wonder why this stuff isn't around for every-day use. However, as far as plot-lines go, Star Trek should have gone away years ago. Can't they let Captain Kirk rest in peace? Haven't we seen enough parallel universes? Enough is enough.

Vapor
01/09/03 03:02 AM

To be honest with you, I'm wondering why they haven't made a movie out of Farscape. I really enjoy watching the show whenever I get a chance. However, while I agree that Farscape is really well done, I'm not sure if I would want that team to produce any BT series. Not because they lack talent, but because they may lack an intimate knowledge of BT. I mean, look at what Microsoft's done with it. Best case scenario, in my mind, would be to have someone who is well versed in BT history, technology, etc working hand-in-hand with the script writers and special effects people. I think a very good movie is possible if the right people get involved.

Cadet
01/09/03 03:10 AM

What I am objecting to is the fanboy crap that would automatically come along with it. If some minor detail from a book was ignored there would be thread after thread about it. or if a player's unit was involved, or not involved. if some character was there, or wasn't. it goes on and on.

You can see these same fanboy bitchfests in any LOTR or Star Trek board. They've been here when some slight perceived continuity breach has happened, and when some major plot change occurs.

I'm not talking about production values, even though the cartoon was just bad and I'm afraid we would get another RobotJox. I'm talking about how there is no real way to get the movie "right" from the standpoint where it would make the "fans" happy.
Vapor
01/09/03 03:34 AM

I agree that you can't make everyone happy. There's no possible way to make a movie from a book or fantasy universe and keep the fans of that book or universe 100% happy. Take me for example, as I said before, I'm a big Tolkien fan, and I love what I've seen in the LOTR movies so far. However, after reading Battlefield Earth, I couldn't wait for the movie, and the movie greatly disappointed me.

I, for one, would love to see an attempt be made at a BT movie. If I like it, great, if I don't like it, at least they tried. I don't have to defend the movie on forums and message boards. Everyone has their opinion about what should or should not be in it, but if we sit an argue about that, it will never happen at all.

MadWolf
01/09/03 01:42 PM

I have to agree that i am really loatheing the newer art work. its cartoony. The mechs cant be somthing you would want to cuddle into bed with. ( but Timberwolfs are SOOOOOO cute i will admit that ) I saw the new warhammer and was really disapointed the the redesign. The old warhammer had so much more pain written all over it. the new warhammer looks like a kid in a helment.
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Greyslayer
01/10/03 04:17 AM

'2) I dislike the idea of having to login just to lurk on the message board. I know of a few people who won't even look at the boards just for that reason.'

Lol... I am pretty sure that wasn't there when I was active there. Of course I wouldn't know since I haven't been there in a long time.

On any other point I cannot and will not make a comment since I am to ilinformed to do so.

Greyslayer
SuperCharger
01/10/03 06:45 AM

[snip]
3) Organization needs to be streamlined somewhat. A sitemap would be great. It is easy to know that the information you want is somewhere and not know where.

This is one thing that is directly under FanPro's control, and desperately needs to be fixed. The web site, while nice in places, has horrible organization, and the basic design isn't very good, either. A site map won't help; it's in need of a total redesign. The site never loads quickly, and it's hard to find things (ie mis-labeled and duplicate menu options).

REDESIGN THE SITE. PLEASE!!

Countergod
01/13/03 03:18 PM

that crew did do some movies, like The One for example, IMHO a great movie
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
Countergod
01/13/03 03:23 PM

The innersphere is spending gobs on warships, howabout some new Aerotech stuff (warships, fighters) in a TRO (3070?!) along with an approximate idea of every warship navy in the innersphere and clans in one easy to acess chart/chapte/somthing
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
Greyslayer
01/14/03 05:09 PM

'along with an approximate idea of every warship navy in the innersphere and clans in one easy to acess chart/chapte/somthing'

lol.... people can dream can't they

That will never happen if they maintain their standards currently set.

Greyslayer
Bearer
01/28/03 07:48 PM

Hey there,

Been out of the loop a bit and apologies if this has been discussed before. As game products will still be releases, is there any chance of novels being released that deal with the days before warriors strapped into lawnmowers and dishwashers? Surely this could be done if they didn't interfere with the main storyline, you know events that don't directly interfere with the outside world. Like the Jade Falcon sibko books, just internal events like that.

Is there any chance of novels on the BT universe between the Davion -Steiner civil war and the dark, dark ages?!!

Regards,
Bearer
"Respect my atoratay!"
Dog
04/12/03 03:38 AM

bringing up old post cause i've got all 13 episodes of the cartoon series locked in Kazaa and working on download. Should have them all within a week. Right now I have 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, and 13!

Dog
Mmmmh Old Stuff
Vapor
04/12/03 11:12 AM

/glares at Dog.

Bad dog! No scooby snacks for you! You know better than to drag up old threads.

Dog
04/12/03 10:13 PM

Yeah I have this nasty habit of digging things up. Got 4 & 6 now too

Dog
I've had to avoid 2 not enough space errors so far too!
wolfcannon
04/13/03 08:30 AM

i feel somewhat cheated that the Star League was disbanded and that all the sudden the WoB idiots take over huge chunks of the Inner Sphere, then the clans disappear almost overnight. It seems that all events leading up to the DA is meant to destroy the classic battletech game and rewrite it to this new view. I have been rather discontent with this whole DA thing adn i will not use it in any of the games i run in the future.
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Bravo Trinary
Alpha Star
Star Captain James Sword
TenakaFurey
04/16/03 08:36 PM

What makes you think, for example, that the Clans disappear?

They are still in the IS during the DA. Wolf and Jade Falcon have taken over a good bit more of the LA and the Ravens have taken over the OA.

True, we don't know what they are doing during the DA but that holds true for everyone outside the RotS.

EJL
Arzakon
05/11/03 12:30 PM

Want my honest opinion?

It sucks. All of it.

I'm sorry, WoB may be powerful, but that's rediculous. Thank goodness in my game, they've been wiped out...

The Clans more or less vanishing? I hated the Clan timeline from the get-go (being a classic fan), but I rode with it, and eventually learned to accept it, even like parts of it. But anything post-3064 is, to me, complete garbage.

Victor Steiner-Davion as Precentor Martial? Don't get me started...

Thank goodness I run a hybrid game, where I only use what I like.
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 13336

Contact Admins Sarna.net