01/25/03 11:19 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Take a look!
http://www.classicbattletech.com/SecurityBriefingOmega.html

Scott
Cadet
01/25/03 12:33 PM

I was one of the loudest voices at Mordel's about bringing back the Unseen. We had to have them, they were better poorly drawn than gone altogether.

I was wrong and I admit that. What we have is nothing special and is the same poorly drawn and mass produced crap that we have had for the last couple of years. I am so tired of seeing Mechs that look more like they stepped out of the latest incarnation of Gundam than look like walking tanks.

The Project Phoenix 'mechs are a stellar example of mediocrity: Neither so good to make me want to show them off and not so bad to make me turn totally away from them and pretend they never existed. They just kind of are. They should have been something special.
Does not play well with others.
Toastrider
01/26/03 10:14 AM

Bitter much, Cadet?

As I recall, most Mechs past 3055+ have a more 'flowing' or 'organic' look to them; this reflects superior manufacturing and construction in the 'Sphere. At least I can look at the picture and locate the weapon ports properly, which is more than I can say for the original Unseen pics (so where ARE the medium lasers on the RFL-3N?).

Christ, it's just a game. I got my first look at some of the new minis (the new Locust and T-Bolt) and they look pretty nifty, even unpainted. So take a breath and RELAX.

Sheesh, as if we didn't have enough uptight posters around here...

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
Toastrider
01/26/03 10:19 AM

That reminds me.

Why are the IIC variants being 'redone'? While some were visibly similar to their forebears (Warhammer, Marauder, and Locust), the Griffin IIC, P-Hawk IIC and S-Hawk IIC didn't look ANYTHING like their Inner Sphere counterparts.

--Toasty
Eclipz
01/26/03 10:40 AM

For the most part I like the Project Phoenix stuff and as far as this release goes I really like it.

Scott
Warner_Doles
01/26/03 02:12 PM

Because they were done by another artist and weren't owned by FASA that's why they pulled them from the TRO 3055. We are redoing them so we own them and saves us a ton of problems that cropped up from the original Unseens.
Eclipz
01/26/03 02:20 PM

Figured maybe Warner was watching and would answer the question better than I could.

Scott
Cadet
01/26/03 09:12 PM

I'm well aware it is just a game. I am also well aware that this is just my opinion and not anything close to an objective fact, but I don't think I'm bitter. I just don't think the Unseen were redrawn very well. The should have been something special. Instead, we got the same cookie cutter, poorly drawn designs we've gotten in 3060 and 3067.

You'll just have to forgive me if I'm not a cheerleader for mediocrity.
GiovanniBlasini
01/28/03 02:34 AM

...ya do sound a bit bitter.

Seriously, not all of the Phoenix Mechs are great. Not all of them suck, though, either.

Case in point: new T-Bolt. Or P-Hawk. Or Wasp.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Cadet
01/28/03 02:39 AM

Explain bitter. I want a better product than what I am being offered. So far FanPro hasn't delivered that to me. You might like it, but I don't.
Nightward
01/28/03 05:06 AM

On the other hand, it *IS* free. Perhaps, as they say, you do get what you paid for

Not everyone can be pleased by everything. I had high hopes for Project: Phoenix also, and whilst they haven't lived up to all expectations, at least the Unseen are back. It's not all bad.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Karagin
01/28/03 10:06 AM

Where is the Warhammer IIC redone???
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Countergod
01/28/03 02:20 PM

I especially like the new Warhammer (IS) and the MAD II I never thought to add a heavy gause to it the new MAD I is aslo pretty good though I would take out the TSM personally. One thing I think we dont need is the Rifleman (IS) as we already have a Jagarmech with 2 RAC-s and that one has a T-CPU also
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
Nightward
01/28/03 05:17 PM

Does it *NEED* to be redone? How could they make it better? I mean, come on...PPCs over Medium Pulse Lasers....*DROOL*
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Eclipz
01/28/03 08:35 PM

Word is we will see it a little later...........the preview of it is in gamesunplugged #23.........after it is out they should post it.

Scott
Eclipz
01/28/03 08:36 PM

I just don't see what the problem with them really is? Some of them are really good IMHO.

Scott
Cadet
01/28/03 11:34 PM

I'm glad you like them. I don't. I don't think they constitute good artwork nor do I think they are an improvement over not having the artwork at all. Sorry if I'm in the minority, but I just think we were better off without being able to see those mechs now that I've seen them.
Eclipz
01/29/03 01:12 AM

Well from the feedback I have seen you are in the minority but I don't have a problem with that really. I was just trying to figure out what it was that made you not like them............I could see not liking some but you act like all are bad (which is why you seem bitter as was mentioned before).

Scott
Cadet
01/29/03 01:39 AM

Mechs should look like they did in TRO 3025. They looked like walking tanks. Now they look like something out of Gundam with oversized weapons and all that. Plus they dont look like anything a professional would draw. Rather they look like the Battling robots I drew when I was 13. They look childish.

Still they are an improvement over the crap Plog draws...but just barely.
Eclipz
01/29/03 01:52 AM

Well now I understand your views even if I 100% disagree with them. I love Plog's art the most so I know we will never agree (but that's ok).

Scott
Cadet
01/29/03 02:23 AM

Well, I guess there's no account for taste
Eclipz
01/29/03 09:11 AM

LOL..TRUE

How about the Kraken Plog recently did...........does this suck also?

Kraken

Kraken 3

Karagin
01/29/03 10:23 AM

The first one is not to bad...it's close to the original...the second looks like crap by that I mean it looks like it is three different mechs tossed together and top heavy at that also what are the booby like things on it's chest? A hommage to Dolly Parton? If they make a miniature of it I would not buy it.
Karagin

Toastrider
01/29/03 11:25 AM

First off, it's the same Mech chassis (Kraken/Bane). The first one is the UAC/2 'prime' variant, I believe, judging from the loadout.

The second looks funny because that's the LRM-rack Kraken, and it's viewed from a different angle (which makes the chest vents stand out a bit more).

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here, Cadet, but that's just me.

--Toasty
Karagin
01/29/03 11:48 AM

First I think you have myself and Cadet confused here...

The second Bane looks NOTHING like the first one and I am sorry but to me it's not something I think of as a mech, the anime look and by that I mean the goofy look is way to much in the second one, or would bloated be a better word to use?

Karagin

Cadet
01/29/03 10:16 PM

Yes.

It isn't that Polg can't draw, it is that he can't draw BattleTech. His stuff doesn't look like it fits in with the stuff from TRO 3025. I'm not saying everything needs to stay stagnate, but it should look like it fits in, and not was imported from the Japanese robot cartoon of the week (and yes I realize many of the original mechs came from anime. But there is a stylistic difference). Those older ones look like walking tanks. Plog's don't. I don't think his Kraken count either, because they are not original either, but redrawn versions of somone else's work.
Eclipz
01/29/03 10:52 PM

Point taken...........was just curious (of course I love it).

Scott
Countergod
01/30/03 10:13 AM

oh, come now, it isnt THAT bad I reconized it after only 5 seconds of staring at it, and I never even saw those name tags on top the first time
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
Karagin
01/30/03 11:00 AM

First the Kraken didn't need to be redone...and if it did then anyone but Plog.

Second the bottom drawing looks nothing like the first...just because it has missiles doesn't mean it has took like a rejected Zoid or a new version of an old Transformer.
Karagin

Eclipz
01/30/03 07:52 PM

Didn't need to be redone? The Kraken art and the sculpt is known for being a giant ugly turd. Hating Plog I guess I can understand (some artists I don't care for) but this version blows the original out of the water.

Now that is fugly on a stick. Is it falling backward?

Scott
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 18076

Contact Admins Sarna.net