February Project Phoenix is up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Cadet
01/30/03 07:57 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Well hell, let's just let Plog redo them all, just for "stylistic" consistancy.

Do iIlike the original Kraken? No. Do I like Plog's version? No. Would I rather have the orignial or Plog's? Original.
Does not play well with others.
Eclipz
01/30/03 09:00 PM

I'll take the new one with no problem and from what I have heard (except for here) so would others.

Scott
Karagin
01/30/03 09:04 PM

The point is they already owned the artwork for it...so why redo it?

Ugly? Maybe, but a military machine isn't suppose to be pretty and cute.

Some things don't need changing, I think they should worry more about folks NOT liking the whole Jihad issue then about how a mech that has been around for a good number of years looks.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
01/30/03 09:07 PM

Really? Beyond CBT this is the ONLY place the Karken has come up...and at all of the other boards folks have voiced their dislike of Plog's art work just as much as they have here.

How about having a little bit better grasp on what makes up this community then just two boards...given that there are at an off hand guess 20 to 30 active boards. When every single person at each of those says they love or want Plog to redo all of the mechs from TR3055/58 then maybe you will have a case that his work is good, but so far that's NOT the case.
Karagin

Nightmare
01/31/03 03:15 AM

Perhaps a poll is in order?
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Eclipz
01/31/03 08:41 AM

The Kraken was on LOTB, HPG and IIRC The HeavyMetal boards..........So I guess I have a little better grasp than was thought. I never said the whole world loved Plog but it reaction was much more negative hear than anywhere else I saw.

Scott
Karagin
01/31/03 09:12 AM

I have YET to see it at the HM boards...what thread is it under?
Karagin

Karagin
01/31/03 09:13 AM

Maybe, but as Cadet said, if they are going to redo one then why not all of them?
Karagin

Nightmare
01/31/03 04:34 PM

Nah, I just meant a poll on Plog`s mechs, good or not?
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Cadet
01/31/03 06:37 PM

Run him out of town on a rail!
Eclipz
01/31/03 07:23 PM

Hmmmmm.................took me a bit but I found it. The response was very good. Hope the link works. If it doesn't then the thread was "So you think the Kraken is FBUgly???" by Burning Chrome.

http://www.heavymetalpro.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2927

Scott
Karagin
01/31/03 11:14 PM

Okay three boards, I have yet to see it Mordel's or BTuniverse or Chaos March or Solairs just to name a few...so three boards beyond CBT is NOT a wide showing and again if they are going to redo all of the ugly mechs why not have someone redraw the crap done by Plog while they are at it.
Karagin

Karagin
01/31/03 11:15 PM

That has been debated to death. 1/3 of the fans like his art, 1/3 doesn't and 1/3 don't care.

Karagin

Cadet
02/01/03 12:35 AM

I think it is also telling that the general consensus is that Plog is ok IF he is only redrawing an established mech, but not so good when it comes to original designs...and even then he has complaints (No armor on the UACs on the Kraken 2 for example).
realworldviews
02/01/03 01:04 AM

Those are sweet pics!
Were did you find those?
I would like to see more if there are more.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
Eclipz
02/01/03 02:19 AM

The boards I mentioned get way more traffic than here and the response there was far more positve. In the future I will know not to post such things here.

Scott
Karagin
02/01/03 08:41 PM

You named two boards and I noticed the same level of resposnce at HM as here. Those who didn't like respond as such and those who did did the same.

So you are saying that only postive responces are counted...that is interesting since it seems to fit with current think of WK/FP.
Karagin

Eclipz
02/01/03 09:03 PM

Not gonna argue.........don't really care that much.

Scott
Karagin
02/01/03 09:10 PM

Funny thing here is NO one is arguing...we have stated our opinions and you seem to not like them.

I don't like Plogs artwork, there are others who don't as well. Some folks do...so where is the arguement?

The only thing that could be argued and so far it's not is there is no need to redraw the Kraken...and the only other issue is which BT boards are the most active to draw a popular opinion poll from...

So what were we all arguing about again?
Karagin

Nightmare
02/02/03 06:14 AM

OK. I`m one of those who doesn`t care one way or the other about him. There are better artists, but also a lot of worse ones. Case closed?
Karagin
02/02/03 08:10 PM

Never was a case to start with...an opinion was asked for and given and some one didn't like it that not everyone was awed by Plog's work.

So how about you ask him if the case is closed...
Karagin

TJHairball
02/06/03 06:02 PM

Just joined this board today.

I must say, I don't like having "gundum" style designs. I have an old 3025 tech readout, and I like the style of most of the 'mechs in that one... although some of the more recent ones look positively absurd (not all... but some) particularly reflecting autocannon bores, etc.

Just weighing in so my previously silent opinon is heard.
Cadet
02/06/03 07:06 PM

Welcome aboard!

Hey, silent voices cannot be heard. If you don't like the art, speak up! It's the only way we can get rid of Plog and anyone else who's art is substandard.
Karagin
02/06/03 11:02 PM

Welcome and I agree with you on the art work. Some look okay while others seem to be more Zoids or Gundamn then Battletech's walking tank look.

Glad you joined!
Karagin

Chunga
02/09/03 11:25 PM

Not sure if you know this, but for Project Phoenix TRO, there will be pictures of each variant. They could all be in there.

Chunga
CBT Nazi
Karagin
02/10/03 11:01 PM

You missed the point, if they are going to redo evey single mech from the original TR3025 and 2750 and 3050 and 3055 then that is very point less since the whole TRO PP was about the UNSEEN, ie the mechs removed because of the Lawsuit and the fear of another lawsuit.

Redoing all of the mechs NOT covered by that is pointless and a waste of resources, but I am sure you won't see or understand that.

But thank you for pointing out the obvious and trying to help.
Karagin

Chunga
02/11/03 11:11 PM

Well, I thought I had your point, but in this post you contradict yourself. In your post on on 1/31/01, you said:

In reply to:

Maybe, but as Cadet said, if they are going to redo one then why not all of them?

Now you say that it's pointless to do all of them.

What side are you arguing?

Chunga

p.s. Actually, now that I've read this a couple more times, I think we actually agree, although it will probably disgust you. Months and months ago, Peter and I tried to tell you that redrawing the unseen was not a good idea. It was better to leave those mechs the way they were. Cadet, Chihawk, and yourself of course told us that "because the people wanted them redrawn, they should be redrawn." Well, be careful of what you wish for. I am glad Cadet came out and simply said he was wrong. I knew it would take you longer, but this post is probably the best we'll all get.

Thank you!
Chunga
02/11/03 11:21 PM

You say it's a waster of resources and pointless, but you don't explain why. You're absolutely right I can't see that, because I don't understand your line of thought. Please explain.

Chunga
Cadet
02/11/03 11:34 PM

Make no mistake, I wanted them redrawn, but I wanted them redrawn by someone with talent, or who could at least make them look like they belonged in TRO3025, not the current Gundam rejects.

My statement of having all the mechs redrawn was just about making a standard idea of a battlemech. 3025 came out first. All mechs drawn since then should conform to that style of art to define a mech. Since TPTB have decided the Plog and his junk in 3060/3067 and this guy redrawing the Unseen are the way to go, then I think they should go back to redraw all the mechs so that they are stylistically similar.

I was wrong. i thought that they would really bring out something special for the Unseen (I hoped against hope that they would bring back Duane Loose). Good idea, poor execution.
Karagin
02/12/03 03:25 PM

First, they don't need to be redone since the art is owned by FP/WK, second it's says that if it's old it's NOT good enough for the current TPTB...

The resources spent trying to redo mechs like the Karken etc...can be better put into things like scenario packs, more novels, or even better art in the sourcebooks.

Does that help?
Karagin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 17945

Contact Admins Sarna.net