MWDA Movie...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Karagin
02/28/03 10:31 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Clickly Movie...

Again this sows just where things sit...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Bob_Richter
02/28/03 12:19 PM

Darkage era or no, there's nothing CLICKY about this movie.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Karagin
02/28/03 01:13 PM

You missed the point once again...
Karagin

phoenix
02/28/03 01:33 PM

I love the simplistic terms that the article uses. Sentences like, "The story takes place 40 years after the Mech Wars have ended." hehehe Mech Wars....
Phoenix
Karagin
02/28/03 01:36 PM

I love the line about 60 Mechwarrior novels...odd thing is there are only a handful of MW novels...but I guess Jordan knows what he is doing...
Karagin

MadWolf
02/28/03 03:14 PM

WHY? I just don't get it , Our beloved battletech could never achieve this, but MWDA, the un proven, the un-clean, can get a movie????? God refuses to answer! If that movie is made, I'm an ATHIEST!!
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Diablo
02/28/03 04:23 PM

sounds like the movie will suck and deviate from plot lines and all the other stuff. just like every other movie ever based off of a game (or was it games based off of movies that sucked? but either way)

I have a gut feeling it will look cool, just the plot line will suck. but dont listen to me, my ESP hasn't been working at 100% for a while now...
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
KamikazeJohnson
02/28/03 05:17 PM

What they should do when making this kind of movie (at least the first one) is stay completely away from key characters/events, so they don't alienate the fans of the games/books. They could very easily pick a non-canon merc unit or something, and throw them into a minor skirmish somewhere in the middle of one of the Succession Wars...that way, they can do whatever they want story-wise without disrupting the established timeline. That's the beauty of such a broad game-universe.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Gangrene
02/28/03 05:50 PM

just like every other movie ever based off of a game (or was it games based off of movies that sucked? but either way)

I think its movies based off of games that sucked. Tomb Raider anyone? Well, at least that had an attractive main character. AD&D movie anyone? Now that was a complete waste of time.
Gangrene
TwoYearLurker
02/28/03 06:01 PM

In reply to:

You missed the point once again...

Which is...?

This go-around with a movie set in the BattleTech setting is going forth (there was a script penned by Christopher Kubasik in early '99-had some life breathed into it when MS bought FIT). Instead of doing a movie set in an established spot, the Classic BattleTech period, they're going to push it forward to the era of Dark Ages. Really gives the writers greater leeway in developing the story for the film.

Does it even surprise you that a movie would be set in the Dark Ages?
Dog
03/01/03 02:08 AM

Isn't there already 2 Mechwarrior movies out? I know i've seen them, rented them from blackmailer back in the day. Definetly not the greatest works of art.

As for the games from movies or movies from games, they both suck.

As for the storyline, how can it be "Mech Warrior" after the 'Mech Wars'. Wouldn't "Agro Bot Pilot Conscript" be better? :P
Chas
03/01/03 10:25 AM

I'm not so much worried about it being DA-centric.

What's got me more worried is that it's a Dean Devlin project....

The material is only a part of the equation (and CBT/MWDA has more than enough material to fill out several War and Peace style epics). But the director who brings this stuff to the screen is very important. And I'm not really that huge of a fan of Devlin's work. Either alone or with Emmerich.

If they RobotJox it, i'm gonna be PEEVED!
---
"High necked fashions just became the IN thing here on Tharkad."

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Karagin
03/01/03 08:45 PM

Read the post again...read the article...read the part about 60 MECHWARRIOR novels...when there are really only a handful, then read the part about the MECH Wars...and then read the very clear part where Jordan states very clearly what the movie will be about...

It's not about the flagship game that let him make MWDA, no it's about his Mageknight meets high tech game, so it's clear on the whole issue as to where he stands on which game is the most important.
Karagin

masdog5
03/01/03 09:46 PM

'read the part about 60 MECHWARRIOR novels'

Most likely author error. Both Reuters and the AP are pretty bad when it comes to getting minor details right.

'It's not about the flagship game that let him make MWDA, no it's about his Mageknight meets high tech game, so it's clear on the whole issue as to where he stands on which game is the most important. '

God, who cares.
Cadet
03/02/03 01:57 AM

Look at the pretty images...and the merchandise...and the increased sales...and the licencing agreements...and the MWDA tie in. Sure it ignores the faithful of the game universe who has stuck with it for years, but we're more than paid back by the ultra-rare super delux Devlin Stone in Mad Cat III figureine (only given to the first 2 people in each theater).

Peg: Thank Jordan, kids...
Bud and Kelly: Thanks Jordan.
Does not play well with others.
Karagin
03/02/03 04:51 AM

Error or not once again WK is stuck with it since they have done nothing to correct the misconception.

As for who cares, I do and I am sure other long time fans of BT care, I am sorry that you don't.
Karagin

Spartan
03/02/03 09:34 AM

Oh, this is going to suck. Does anyone remember Wing Commander? Using young actors they turned a group of professional pilots fighting for the survival of the human race into a bunch of hotshots trying to show what bad***es they were. Now imagine them piloting mechs or worse yet those lawnmowers they try to pass off as mechs. "Hey! My chainsaw will tear your Atlas to pieces!" OH CRAP! I just realized they would use the DA art for even the old mechs, like that Mardi-Gras-football-player Atlas!

And what's this coming of age storyline junk? You know what that means? That some sixteen year old kid (or there abouts) is going to be some mechwarrior savant who can go up against the battlehardened veterans and somehow defeat their assault mechs with a single burst from his light mech's machine guns.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)

Edited by Spartan (03/02/03 09:43 AM)
realworldviews
03/03/03 12:15 AM

Hey, I liked the DnD movie.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
TJHairball
03/03/03 01:38 AM

DIE!

But seriously folks... I'm not going to complain about this movie until I see it. It may be good, it may not... no telling yet.
Chunga
03/03/03 10:03 AM

Unfortunately masdog5, on this he's right. Wizkids has been very clear in not using the word Battletech at all ever. So when they talk about the history of the game, they do continue to call it Mechwarrior.

Chunga
TwoYearLurker
03/03/03 05:36 PM

I see a line about sixty novels being published, I don't see a line about sixty MechWarrior novels being published. Slight difference, but the lack of the word MechWarrior in the line in question ("...more than 60 novels have been published.") makes the statement correct. It also makes your information incorrect.

In reply to:

so it's clear on the whole issue as to where he stands on which game is the most important.

Yeah. The video games. Or did you completely miss the opening line of the article:

"Dean Devlin will produce a movie based on the best-selling 'Mech Warrior' video games."

If this were about the MWDA game, the first part of the last paragraph would have been at the top, and the opening line would have replaced it in the end.
Gangrene
03/03/03 06:15 PM

Like Hairball says . . . DIE!

The D&D movie was so bad, and the audience so geeky, that I was out of there as soon as the credits hit.
Gangrene
Bob_Richter
03/04/03 01:49 PM

>>>Wizkids has been very clear in not using the word Battletech at all ever. <<<

So why the hell does our game have to be *CLASSIC* Battletech?

There's nothing Classic about the FCCW/WOB Jihad era.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Bob_Richter
03/04/03 01:53 PM

Games based off of movies suck too.

Actually, the worst movie based off of a game (that I've seen) was Wing Commander. Oh, how the mighty have fallen! How did THAT happen?

The Dungeons and Dragons movie was pretty typical of the game. Asinine plot, unrealistic characters, terrible dialogue. And they killed the one guy I actually *LIKED*

Bob_Richter
03/04/03 02:03 PM

>>>Oh, this is going to suck. Does anyone remember Wing Commander?<<<

I don't want to remember that movie.

>>>Using young actors they turned a group of professional pilots fighting for the survival of the human race into a bunch of hotshots trying to show what bad***es they were.<<<

That wasn't the worst of it. The Kilrathi went from cats to bug-like things. Ships had a submarine motif, right down to the "remain silent to avoid detection" thing. Jump-points became black holes, and where the hell did these "Pilgrims" come from?

Why the hell does a Rapier look like a Spitfire? Why is EVERYONE flying them? And the Dralthis and Broadswords were every bit as...wrong. As was the "Tiger Claw."

Excuse me? The....WHAT?!

And what did they do to my poor Paladin? He was a COMBAT PILOT, damn you. He flew my wing in the Kilrathi War before he went to work for special ops...

I've heard of creative license, but that's ridiculous. I mean...stick to what made Wing Commander successful. Trust me, it wasn't the gameplay.

>>>OH CRAP! I just realized they would use the DA art for even the old mechs,<<<

Actually, that's really unlikely. Movies usually completely redo the art. (See Wing Commander, above.)

>>>And what's this coming of age storyline junk?<<<

It means the movie will mostly be about sex.

At least, that's how the term is typically used. :P

TJHairball
03/04/03 04:05 PM

Actually, most of the Dungeons and Dragons books (and most competent campaigns) read a lot better than the movie, which was made to try and sell the new 3rd edition pushed by WotC... considering WotC's target audience (preteens with money to burn) it was probably a success at what it wanted to do :/

Just watch LotR instead of DnD if you can... twice the length, a hundred times the quality, same ticket/rental price, most likely.

The Dragonlance Chronicles (the first three books) would make a FINE movie trilogy, in my opinion. Provided they dont' screw up.

As far as games based off movies... whooeee, I'm glad I don't play any of those.
Chas
03/04/03 04:08 PM

Dragonlance Chronicles......

Hmm.. John Rhys-Davies as Fizban?
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
KamikazeJohnson
03/04/03 05:41 PM

Lol...nah...Robin Williams maybe?
--Thomas Jefferson
Bob_Richter
03/04/03 06:54 PM

>>>Actually, most of the Dungeons and Dragons books <<<

Didn't say anything about those.

>>>(and most competent campaigns)<<<

Those either.

>>>which was made to try and sell the new 3rd edition pushed by WotC... considering WotC's target audience (preteens with money to burn) it was probably a success at what it wanted to do :/<<<

I doubt it. Preteens thought the movie was crap. It was. But that's really the heart and sould of the game, crap, and if crap won't sell it, I'll be the first to cheer when it's finally relegated to the dust of history.

>>>Just watch LotR instead of DnD if you can... twice the length, a hundred times the quality, same ticket/rental price, most likely.<<<

I've watched the movies as they come out. Excellent movies. I would never think of trying to create such an epic in a system as badly flawed as DnD.

Want to guess what the Class/Level comparison between Pippin and Aragorn is?

Diablo
03/04/03 07:02 PM

hehe! go dragonlance! actually, Robin Williams wouldnt be that bad for Fizban...
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Tron
03/05/03 12:01 PM

"It's set 40 years after the Mech Wars have ended and introduces a group of young heroes in their late teens and early 20s that have grown up in peaceful and prosperous times."

Dark Age doesn't start until 60+ years later.

If I'm right I think this is somewhat of a dumb time to place the movie.

It's like if FASA started up battletech sold millions of copies, gained movie rights but had the movie start in 3010 as opposed to 3025. The only thing good about it is that if the story is good it will give CBT players more fuel for future conflicts to play in long after the jihad.

Maybe that is the point...

[edit] I am right. This storyline, if one assumes the mechwars==Succession Wars + Clan Invasion + Star League Invasion + FCWCW, will take place towards the end of Devlin Stone's campaign. Anyone care to guess whether or not our dauntless heros will meet the man face to face, learn the errors of their ways in liking warfare and eventually give over their mechs to him?

A scenario like that is almost as bad as the Enterprise episode "Dear Doctor." *shudders*
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."-Kosh

We are a race that has the ability of going beyond the boundries placed on us. The question we should ask ourselves then is whether or not we should go beyond those boundries?

Edited by Tron (03/05/03 12:20 PM)
Chas
03/05/03 12:32 PM

"Want to guess what the Class/Level comparison between Pippin and Aragorn is? "

Hey! How many tower keeps did Aragorn bring to ruin? Look at what Merry and Pippin did (albeit with the help of several dozen Ents and Huorns).

And Merry, chopping the legs out from under the Witch King of Angmar (the leader of the Nazgul).

And Pippin, killing himself a full-grown troll.

Aragon was just a pansy-boy trading on his family name.

He stood around waving his sword and telling people to go kick butt for him.

---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
KamikazeJohnson
03/05/03 12:43 PM

>>And Merry, chopping the legs out from under the Witch King of Angmar (the leader of the Nazgul).

And Pippin, killing himself a full-grown troll.<<

$#^%#%$# Backstab multiplier
--Thomas Jefferson
Ian
03/09/03 01:27 PM

"LOS ANGELES (The Hollywood Reporter) --- Dean Devlin will produce a movie based on the best-selling "Mech Warrior" video games. "

It is indeed most likely that the movie will be based primarily more off of the computer and video games than anything else. What is it that everyone is familiar with? BattleTech/MWDA, or MechWarrio the computer gamer 2, 3 and 4 along with MechAssault?

How many average people really know much about, or have even heard about BattleTech and MWDA? Not all that many. PnP games are considered "geeky" and "nerdy" by a large portion the general public.

When ever you ask someone what they know about BattleTech they will give you a blank stare. Ask them aobut MechWarrior Dark Ages and they will think for a second and then go, "Oh you mean umm... that video game for the xbox, MechAssault?!"

Its a sad, but thats how it is.
TwoYearLurker
03/10/03 05:59 PM

I remember a WWF PPV from a few years back. The main sponsoring product? MechWarrior 3 PC game.
Cadet
03/10/03 09:40 PM

We hates them!

None of the hobbits fight fair. Back stabbing, sneaking around, attacking poor defenseless thugs...just evil little beings.
Does not play well with others.
CGB_Phelan77
03/23/03 11:25 PM

Long ago in a galaxy far far far far far far far far....(you get the point)....

Was there not a long drawn out debate over a battletech movie back like 3 years ago on this very same Forum????
With talk of "Cpt Piccard" being Kerensky and what not????
I will not hold my breath on the bit of a movie coming out for B-tech/MWDA....though all of us would like for there to be a decent movie, let us go about destroying mechs and discussing politics as we have for years, it seems that the game will be here long after another discussion of if there will be a movie.
Alemnyr
03/24/03 01:02 AM

To take this further off topic - The Dungeons and Dragons movie is EXCELLENT if you watch it with the right frame of mind.

Imagine 4 people gathered around a table headed by a DM. Pimples, pop and pizza. Everything makes total sense then, the bad dialogue is the player's on-the-spot & cliched attempt. When I'm watching it I can just imagine the d20 rolls.

Make a reflex save!
MacLeod
03/26/03 08:19 PM

"Robin Williams wouldnt be that bad for Fizban."

*pictures Williams with white hair, long beard, and nose extension*

*falls out of chair*

WHERE'S MY HAT!
Fireball, fireball, let's see... I used to know how that went...

If you ask me, the perfect Fizban would actually be Ian McKellen (sp?). You know, Gandalf. He's already got the white robe thing down. This time he'd be able to do the whole comedic old wizard thing, and get to yell about his hat a lot.

The real question is who would play Tasslehoff?
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 14747

Contact Admins Sarna.net