Predictions....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CrayModerator
02/04/04 06:30 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:

Neven NASA has already found around 15 planets w/ water and oxygen that could sustain humans as well as other life.......

NASA has done no such thing.

Astronomers have found one (1) extra-solar planet with oxygen in its atmosphere, and they've found this because the planet is orbiting a sun-like star ten times closer to the star than Mercury and the planet's atmosphere is boiling off into space. The planet is a gas giant and does not have oxygen in a breathable format. Rather, it was probably carbon dioxide or water that's breaking down in the extreme temperatures.

No habitable planets other than Earth have been found. Currently extra-solar planetary detection systems are unable to spot planets smaller than Saturn. Indeed, from outside the solar system, astronomers could not currently find Earth.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
02/04/04 06:34 AM

What you're seeing is a bunch of unused and undeveloped plot hooks. Don't string them together - the writers have no intent of introducing aliens or new super-warriors-isolated-in-the-periphery-for-centuries. FASA has the next ~100 years of history already plotted out.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
02/04/04 08:15 AM

FASA does? WoW! When did they come back?

The old plot hooks do add the plup area feel to the game...the unknown and what to do with it...they do make excellent Mechwarrior RPG adventures and do allow the players some flexibilty in their games as to ways of introducing home tech and other nice things like that.

So maybe for some stringing them together is better then the current setting and we already have an UBER empire it's called the Word of Blake and their vast unaccounted for armies and weapons....
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
02/04/04 08:16 AM

Old plot hooks like Cray said...just about every sourcebook had some kind of oddity about the Periphery and deep space...it gave the books a flair and something to allow the players to use for their own adventures...so not mistakes, just events that were left as mysteries and such.
Karagin

CrayModerator
02/04/04 11:56 AM

Quote:

FASA hasn't come back. Its plans for the next ~century of BT are still by-and-large in use, so my selection of tenses was correct.

Quote:

The old plot hooks do add the plup area feel to the game...the unknown and what to do with it...they do make excellent Mechwarrior RPG adventures and do allow the players some flexibilty in their games as to ways of introducing home tech and other nice things like that.

Absolutely. Did the SLDF RCT disappear due to the Jarnfolk, Bug Eyed Aliens, or Jumpship failure? Thats for the GM to figure out and write an adventure around.

JStallion
02/04/04 08:54 PM

Well i remember hearing on the radio a few years ago somethin of how theyve found their 14th planet that is able to sustain humans, just figured by now and then theyve found another so i said 15. but if what i heard is wrong then alright, just didnt think theyd randomly say it though on a music radio station
Spartan
02/04/04 11:32 PM

>>but if what i heard is wrong then alright, just didnt think theyd randomly say it though on a music radio station

Actually I'd be surprised to find what they wouldn't randomly say on a radio station
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
CrayModerator
02/05/04 06:15 AM

Over 100 planets outside the solar system have been found. Not one of them is capable of sustaining life, because they're always gas giants about as big as Jupiter or larger. Many of them are far too close to their parent star to hold life, too.

Catalog of Planets around Main Sequence Stars

Karagin
02/05/04 01:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

FASA hasn't come back. Its plans for the next ~century of BT are still by-and-large in use, so my selection of tenses was correct.

Yes we keep hearing that... :...but then again no one has to actually use that future now do they?
Karagin

tgsofgc
02/05/04 01:50 PM

The big problems for finding planets that could support life as we know it:
1. Resolution/Finding Planets - Planets are relatively small, especially compared to Stars, giant gas clouds etc. Also they lie relatively close to really big things. this means they are particularly hard to find, and when we do so they tend to be "goliath" planets or baby stars (feel free to correct me on this), and it is usually the case that we find/notice them because of the influences of their gravity (see wiggling stars).
2. Planets or Worlds can take many shapes outside of true planets. An excellent example is the Moons of Gas Giants, some of which in our very solar system (Europa) may be capable of support some forms of life.
3. Our view of the cosmos is pretty limited. This is largely limited by the extreme distances of the universe and the constant speed of light.
just 2 cents.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Gnome76
02/10/04 06:51 PM

Just trying to picture a mix of BattleTech and Star Trek...

The Klingons' 'Mechs would cloak (would that make them unseen?) and carry 'Mech-sized bat'leths
Vulcans would pilot Vulcans.
The Borg would probably use ProtoMechs.
Shields on combat vehicles would preclude the use of lasers (wait, that's Dune)
tgsofgc
02/11/04 12:22 AM

...and the Capellans would (hopefully) wear Red as apposed to Green Shirts.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
neven
02/11/04 12:35 AM

odd, what are borg?
it kinda sounds swedish!
-***"ADAPT TO SURVIVE"***-
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 21510

Contact Admins Sarna.net