Predictions....

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ghost
01/11/04 11:44 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay, anyone who has the Star league source book has read about the Exodus and then the strange sightings of prestine units reappearing. If you have read Explorer Corps, there is a small passage, a conversation actually, talking about Columbus and a SLDF RCT being destroyed by an unknown force. This was BEFORE the Exodus. So, looking back, FASA basically warned us that there was someone else out in deep space and that they were bad mothers (The Clans). As in Explorer Corps, they did it again. Does this mean that there is someone else besides the Clanners out there? Are there anyother sources books that give you a preview or prediction like this? I have to admit, I don't have a lot of the newer source books so I really don't know what is in there. Comments? Predictions? Is there another group laying in wait to attack the Inner Sphere like the Clans?
neven
01/11/04 02:49 PM

You mean the clans or the hanseatic league or nueva castile are those prdators out in deep space?
Cuz the league and the castile are some sort of deep space successor states that prey on the clans
also...
What I mean there are enemies besides the clanners, they are very very close to clanspace, if you go to www.kerensky.tirranet.com/btech/btech.shtml, a maps area will show what I am talking about, is this a good answer?
-***"ADAPT TO SURVIVE"***-
neven
01/11/04 03:19 PM

Really, if you look on this site I posted, go to maps, then go to the exodus road on that site, you will see what I'm talking about!
neven
01/11/04 03:21 PM

sorry for the sie, it is kerensky.tierranet, not tirranet, kapeesh?
Nightward
01/11/04 06:25 PM

Those conversations could refer to Great House forces bringing down SLDF units to aggravate the situation. I'dhave to see the passages in question for myself, though.

There are some old, SLDF-era Colonies out there which are detailed in the Periphery Field Manual. I hear the Neuvau Castille are supposed to be pretty good and may be a remnant of Clan Wolverine.

Aside from those, however... ComStar has the SLDF 'Mechs that didn't go with Kerensky, and the Houses picked up the rest. So in CBT, probably not.

I personally don't like the DA setting, and I'm even less impressed with the way Word of Blake somehow expanded into a military superpower capable of bringing the Inner Sphere to its knees. But since it's happened once already in that setting, it's entirely possible (perhaps even likely) that they will do it again to introduce new 'Mechs, factions, etc for a new expansion set.

In terms of an alien invasion? I really hope not. That's been done to the death in just about every science fiction series and the lack of intellgent alien life in BT (aside from those in "Far Country") is something that has sort of set it apart.

And I think most players would have a fit if a new invading force suddenly appeared. The flame wars here about the Clan Invasion were quite spectacular.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
neven
01/11/04 07:43 PM

The hanseatic league is twice the size of the outworlds alliance, and from what I heard on the net, has a massive, and more proffesional force than the clans!
I just hope they aren't enemies of the inner sphere, or that could be bad buisness.
But I want to know, if there are any other deep space states, that aren't the chainlane isles, or the jarnfolk pirate colonies, but if there are other states that i don't know about, well, I have to find out.
neven
01/11/04 07:49 PM

Or maybe i'm wrong about the deepspace empires?
Ghost
01/11/04 08:12 PM

Explorer corps, page8, 2nd column...

"Unsure about the nature of the ship, a large part of the Columbus garrison hastily boarded their transports and set off in pursuit. Their destination was not spedified, but dish-alignment logs from the bese's HPG transmitter indicate that messages were sent to a number of systems spinward of Epsilon Pegasus following the incident-possibly to the departed troops. These transmissions ceased in late 2756, but it was not possible to discover the content of these messages because the HPG's message recorder had been removed when the base was evacuated shortly prior to Kerensky's Exodus."

And below this passage...

"(wolfnet real-time communications mode:
I.Chandra: Given the location and the description of the vessel, it seems likely that the "visitor" was a JarnFolk Jumpship. The JarnFolk are a fairly passive group of Scandinavian colonist who settled several worlds approximately 250 light-years spinward of Columbus some time in the twenty-fourth century. The Clans captured one of the JarnFolk's ships in 2981 but dismissed the group as harmless. The information we have does not suggest the JarnFolk are capable of annihilating an SLDF combined-arms regiment.)

Okay, that is the information I have on this subject. Looking through the source book, this event takes place before the other areas come into knowledge, Nueava Castle, the Clans, and the Hanseatic League. The JarnFolks have been ruled out as too passive. Like I said, this is the only information I have. Thoughts?
Nightward
01/11/04 09:57 PM

That "spinward" and the timescale really hurls a spanner into the works, because "spinwards" means towards the Capellan Confederation and beyond. I was tempted to say that it was Kerensky preparing to move on the Star League and bring Amaris down, but that is almost a decade too early.

Keep in mind, though, that the Clans have been very wrong about military power of other states before. They dismissed the Com Guard as mere mystics and merchants, and look at where that got them...

It is possible this was a plot hook FASA was preparing, perhaps to have another force appear in the Inner Sphere, standing ready to defend it from the Clans. I don't really know.

You could always head over to classicbattletech.com and ask comeone over there about this, as it's the official site and some of the staff there have been around since before FASA was bought out by FanPro ond WizKidz.

Be warned, though...posters like neven are the rule rather than the exception at CBT, which is why I avoid that place like the plague.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
neven
01/12/04 12:23 AM

what did you mean by "Be warned, though...posters like neven are the rule rather than the exception at CBT, which is why I avoid that place like the plague. "
be honest, oh and I AM REGISTERED AT CBT, AS MAGE TYRANT, so don't try to burn me with that philosophical stuff like you said, it seems to confuse me.
Ghost
01/12/04 03:17 PM

Look guys, it doesn't matter. We have a good thread going here. Don't let it break down into a bitterness thread. Neven, those empires appeared AFTER this entry in the timeline. So, like Night said, it could have been a prelude to another stronger force that has yet to appear in the CBT timeline. Does anyone know of anyother occurances like this?
wartang
01/12/04 07:41 PM

remmember there are two factions the crusaders and the gaurdians. as near as i can tell one whants to take over and one wants to protect the inner sphere. but gaurd the inner sphere form what?
i love this game
Ghost
01/12/04 10:09 PM

Good point. I never thought it in that light. The Warden faction wants to protect the Inner Sphere? To protect it from themselves, wouldn't that make them Crusaders? So, if they are truly protecting the Sphere, then from what?

Would be interested to see another force appear that is even nastier than the Clans. And I would have to say that if a new force appeared, 10 to 1 odds they are composed of old SLDF units. Any takes on that bet?
neven
01/13/04 12:45 AM

I really gotta say, there are thousands of explored worlds in the btech universe, but there are way more, rogue SLDF and pirate alliances could have travelled anywhere, coreward, rimward, etc.
and those crap reports that "cray" made on another forum about these alien invaders called the sheen could have been over exaggurated into that crap. It could be, like I said, rogue SLDF and pirates that travelled beyond the periphery, into deep space, possibly coreward of the kerensky cluster, and that could be the reason of the warden clans protecting the sphere from some insane rebels that have a more illogical way of invading the inner sphere, rather than how the clans did, catch my drift?
Nightward
01/13/04 02:43 AM

The Field Manuals mentioned that the Wardens thought maybe they should come back if there were an alien invasion.

But really...aliens...in BattleTech? There are already the Sauradon, Crana, Atrean Dragons, ad infinatum. On all the inhabited and exlored worlds, there are no truly intelligent life forms, and hopefully, that's the way it will stay. Given the overwhelming reaction to "Far Country", it appears that most BT players don't want to be over-run by a Tyranid-esque "PLAGUE FROM BEYOND THE STARS!!!!!11111one".

Although I liked "Far Country", I too would rather see BT remain free of ETs...
Ghost
01/13/04 10:13 AM

ET phone home....LOL

Honestly, I don't think it would be an alien invasion. I was thinking more along the lines of the Clans. Some lost division or colony. From my understanding, the SLDF did a large of amount of exploration and colonizing. It would stand to reason that there are other out there that we just don't know about yet.
neven
01/14/04 12:24 AM

what kind of stravag would think that there would be an alien invasion, what i meant was that there were star league sttlements still holding the old ways and laws, and if they attack, they could be thought of as aliens, or the "sheen".
aliens, ppsh, what a load of crap!
neven
01/14/04 08:45 PM

ok, this isnt about the deepspace crap,
my friend looked at my monitor when i was on this site, being the dumbass he is (he hardly knows anything, seriusly) he thought you pronounce btech as b-tech (not tek, tech) LOL!
Karagin
01/17/04 01:37 PM

Come now you know that the WOB had help from Amaris's clone and his stormtroopers.

Not as heated as some of the topics about MWDA...but your point about aliens is well taken...and for the offical game it's something that isn't needed.

Another human power out there doing something like growing and become a powerhouse is possible but is that really needed at this point?

The old mysteries and such from the House books really gave the BT universe the feel that it was fleshed out with the ideas and such that it could be almost real. That I think made the game what it is. The detail and creativity that the early writers and folks had...not the same old rehashed stuff that we see now.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Ghost
01/17/04 02:31 PM

I agree with you. I love the history part of BT and I think that is what has made the game real in a way. You can actually go back and see how it all started and that is wonderful. The BT universe is very rich in detail, but, like this post and the things I am sure all of you have read in the source books, don't you wonder what the FASA folks had planned? Was it an oopps or did the actually lay the ground work for another force like they did in the Star League source book. Personally, I would love to the the folks over as Wizkids get back to that, producing history rich information like we can find in the orginal source books.
Nightward
01/17/04 05:29 PM

FanPro are producing "Handbooks" that cover the sociopolitical side of the Great Houses (and perhaps ComStar, the Periphery, and the Clans). They are supposedly "companion volumes" for the Field Manuals.

Personally, I hope that they are similar to the old Sourceboks. I've managed to get my hands on the Wolf Clan and ComStar Sourcebooks (not bad for someone who's only been playing for 7 years) and they are great. In fact, all they'd really need to do is update the old Sourcebooks, maybe re-do the art...viola.

As for WizKidz...don't hold your breath. They were banking on MW: DA being some kind of Pokemon phenomena and it really hasn't worked. All you'll see from them is expansion pack after expansion pack as they desperately attempt to capture a larger market share...
Ghost
01/17/04 10:49 PM

I have only read the books. I don't really want to go out and spend money on something that is well, rather stupid. The idea is an interesting one, but changing the whole system around? I never agreed with that. I'll stick to CBT and my classic sourcebooks until they come out with something better.
neven
01/21/04 10:22 PM

I never meant there was an alien invasion, to me that is just craP!
WHAT I MEANT WAS THAT THERE IS A DEEP SPACE EMPIRE, THAT COULD POSSOBLY BE MORE ADVANCED AND MORE POWERFUL THAN THE CLANS! i never meant anything that would prove the existence of aliens,
and what about aliens, in reality, the chances of finding life alike ourselves is slim to none!
do you even know the chances of forming an earth-like planet, those odds are one in a million!
The fbi, cia, and other secretive agencies always say there is no such thing as aliens, and that is true!
In btech, deep space is just another word for "hey, whats that?"
tgsofgc
01/23/04 12:09 AM

I would argue that
1. finding life like ours is slim to none
2. life like ours (ie intelligent) is inevitable
Ontop of that when you are already talkibng about a game with faster than light travel (impossible with the masses we are talking about) i'd say encountering alien life of intelligence isn't far fetched.
Do I want this in Battletech, no. Because the only human gives battletech a unique feel especially among most futuristic sci fi settings.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
JStallion
02/01/04 08:34 PM

Neven NASA has already found around 15 planets w/ water and oxygen that could sustain humans as well as other life.......

but for battletech it would ruin the game if there were aliens, this isnt star trek. star trek is gay! nobody wants another star trek! if u like aliens invading like in star trek, then play star trek! but none of that should be in battletech!
Karagin
02/02/04 12:05 PM

Having another human power block that could take out SLDF units is fine but given that Amaris and folks like him where just as capable doing this really doesn't seem to be anything unusual about the events.

One thing to keep in mind is that adding to much to the game can lead to more trouble then benifit.

Like someone once told me, introducing other groups into BT can lead to more of a Traveler like game, while this isn't a bad thing you must keep some limits...

How large are you talking about for this idea/group?
Karagin

Karagin
02/02/04 12:09 PM

Their are already aliens in the game, in the novel LOST COUNTRY they have bird like aliens. And in the OLD Mechwarrior Compaion for the RPG and I belive one of the other books on the Periphery talk about neanderthal like humaniods...

There is one game that had Aliens that didn't OVER do it and that was and is Traveler. I do know some folks who have merged parts of both BT and Traveler to get what they want for their BT games. Maybe he could go this route, since GURPS has Traveler out as is Mark Miller's Traveler...not sure who is putting that one out. Anyone know?
Karagin

Ghost
02/02/04 10:27 PM

Honestly, I am not sure how large this group could be. It may not even be another group. Strange things happen in space and I'm not talking about the "In space, no one can hear you scream" type stuff either. Maybe the RCT had a miss jump. Maybe they landed on an uncharted planet and died from some sort of virus. In the sourcebook, it give you the idea that the unit was taken out by another military type unit.

Possible, a rogue bandit unit. 2 battlions, maybe less.

If there was another empire out there, they would have to be small to remain undetected for such a long time.
JStallion
02/03/04 07:08 PM

or just far far away, dont have to be small, maybe the inner sphere is small to some extremely distant vast empire/empires
neven
02/04/04 01:46 AM

me hate star trek, and what the hell, 15 planets!
i only heard of a ring of small gaseous planets around vega,
and star trek sucks [censored], same with aliens, i only said that was a - possibility, i didnt say or promote an alien invasion. you know what? forget what i said about the aliens.
CrayModerator
02/04/04 06:30 AM

Quote:

Neven NASA has already found around 15 planets w/ water and oxygen that could sustain humans as well as other life.......

NASA has done no such thing.

Astronomers have found one (1) extra-solar planet with oxygen in its atmosphere, and they've found this because the planet is orbiting a sun-like star ten times closer to the star than Mercury and the planet's atmosphere is boiling off into space. The planet is a gas giant and does not have oxygen in a breathable format. Rather, it was probably carbon dioxide or water that's breaking down in the extreme temperatures.

No habitable planets other than Earth have been found. Currently extra-solar planetary detection systems are unable to spot planets smaller than Saturn. Indeed, from outside the solar system, astronomers could not currently find Earth.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
02/04/04 06:34 AM

What you're seeing is a bunch of unused and undeveloped plot hooks. Don't string them together - the writers have no intent of introducing aliens or new super-warriors-isolated-in-the-periphery-for-centuries. FASA has the next ~100 years of history already plotted out.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
02/04/04 08:15 AM

FASA does? WoW! When did they come back?

The old plot hooks do add the plup area feel to the game...the unknown and what to do with it...they do make excellent Mechwarrior RPG adventures and do allow the players some flexibilty in their games as to ways of introducing home tech and other nice things like that.

So maybe for some stringing them together is better then the current setting and we already have an UBER empire it's called the Word of Blake and their vast unaccounted for armies and weapons....
Karagin

Karagin
02/04/04 08:16 AM

Old plot hooks like Cray said...just about every sourcebook had some kind of oddity about the Periphery and deep space...it gave the books a flair and something to allow the players to use for their own adventures...so not mistakes, just events that were left as mysteries and such.
Karagin

CrayModerator
02/04/04 11:56 AM

Quote:

FASA hasn't come back. Its plans for the next ~century of BT are still by-and-large in use, so my selection of tenses was correct.

Quote:

The old plot hooks do add the plup area feel to the game...the unknown and what to do with it...they do make excellent Mechwarrior RPG adventures and do allow the players some flexibilty in their games as to ways of introducing home tech and other nice things like that.

Absolutely. Did the SLDF RCT disappear due to the Jarnfolk, Bug Eyed Aliens, or Jumpship failure? Thats for the GM to figure out and write an adventure around.

JStallion
02/04/04 08:54 PM

Well i remember hearing on the radio a few years ago somethin of how theyve found their 14th planet that is able to sustain humans, just figured by now and then theyve found another so i said 15. but if what i heard is wrong then alright, just didnt think theyd randomly say it though on a music radio station
Spartan
02/04/04 11:32 PM

>>but if what i heard is wrong then alright, just didnt think theyd randomly say it though on a music radio station

Actually I'd be surprised to find what they wouldn't randomly say on a radio station
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
CrayModerator
02/05/04 06:15 AM

Over 100 planets outside the solar system have been found. Not one of them is capable of sustaining life, because they're always gas giants about as big as Jupiter or larger. Many of them are far too close to their parent star to hold life, too.

Catalog of Planets around Main Sequence Stars

Karagin
02/05/04 01:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

FASA hasn't come back. Its plans for the next ~century of BT are still by-and-large in use, so my selection of tenses was correct.

Yes we keep hearing that... :...but then again no one has to actually use that future now do they?
Karagin

tgsofgc
02/05/04 01:50 PM

The big problems for finding planets that could support life as we know it:
1. Resolution/Finding Planets - Planets are relatively small, especially compared to Stars, giant gas clouds etc. Also they lie relatively close to really big things. this means they are particularly hard to find, and when we do so they tend to be "goliath" planets or baby stars (feel free to correct me on this), and it is usually the case that we find/notice them because of the influences of their gravity (see wiggling stars).
2. Planets or Worlds can take many shapes outside of true planets. An excellent example is the Moons of Gas Giants, some of which in our very solar system (Europa) may be capable of support some forms of life.
3. Our view of the cosmos is pretty limited. This is largely limited by the extreme distances of the universe and the constant speed of light.
just 2 cents.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Gnome76
02/10/04 06:51 PM

Just trying to picture a mix of BattleTech and Star Trek...

The Klingons' 'Mechs would cloak (would that make them unseen?) and carry 'Mech-sized bat'leths
Vulcans would pilot Vulcans.
The Borg would probably use ProtoMechs.
Shields on combat vehicles would preclude the use of lasers (wait, that's Dune)
tgsofgc
02/11/04 12:22 AM

...and the Capellans would (hopefully) wear Red as apposed to Green Shirts.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
neven
02/11/04 12:35 AM

odd, what are borg?
it kinda sounds swedish!
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 21518

Contact Admins Sarna.net