Whats your favourite clan, great house, etc.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
neven
02/10/04 01:08 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
ok, i want to know, what is your favourite clan, great house, periphery state and so on.
and just to kick off the discussion my favourite clan is ice hellion, the draconis combine are my favourite great house. my favourite periphery state is the illyrian palatinate. just to give some reasons i like the ice hellion for their mechs and pilots. the combine is my favourite because they respect the rules of the warrior and they have a hell of a lot of regiments and warships. the palatinate is my favourite periphery state because they are out of the way, and they are made of of traders and farmers in peaceful communities.
-***"ADAPT TO SURVIVE"***-
Kit_fox
02/10/04 01:55 AM

Clans in this order:
Wolf (Clan Wolf in Exile and then the regular Wolves)
Coyote
Sea Fox (no, not the sharks, Sea Fox)
I used to like Jade Falcon before the whole saKhan Chistu being a bastard incident.

Great House:
Hmmm... Probably Kutra. Or Davion.

Periphery State - Don't much care for any of em.

Mercs -
Kell Hounds
Wolf's Dragoons
Northwind Highlanders
_____

The RNG mugged me in a dark street, killed my dog, and cancled Christmas.

When the winds of change blow hard enough the most trivial of things can become deadly projectials.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
Karagin
02/10/04 03:54 AM

I liked the Terran Hegmony BEFORE the Star League was formed. It was just something about how they did things.

Then House Kurtia was another of my favorites. Their history and social setting was interesting and the House book (the original) really seemed well written and gave a good accounting of them.

Then of the clans...I like the whole mystery of the Wolverines and their war with Nicolas and his view on life. Toss in the Dragoons back when they were different because of all of the mystery.

So that's who I like.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Ignorant_Savage
02/10/04 06:03 AM

my favorites:

great house
free world's league - even though they've had their share of ups and downs like everyone else, they've always been comitted to the principles of freedom, and a democratic system. the only great house to have true democratic representation, something i like about that.

clans
star adder - even thought they are crusaders (a philosiphy i don't care for too much), they still don't walk the path of fanatics. they have a very level-headed approach to things, and their system seems to be merit-based. they include everyone in the glory of the clan, from the greatest warrior to the lowliest laborer.

periphery
marian hegnemony - victrux roma! i love the historical roman flair behind the MH. i just picked up FM: Periphery, and i really like what the new caesar is doing with the realm. looks like it's turning from just another pirate state into a real power.

mercenaries
crimson crusaders - i was reading through the FM: Mercenaries awhile ago, and for some reason, this unit really struck my fancy. although it's still short on history and not very big, i hope (if FASA actually does something with the CBT timeline) they'll become something really cool... and get a chance at taking back Domparie.

---

oh, and by the way, the illyrian palatinate dosen't exsist anymore. it was conqured by the marian hegnemony. sorry about that.

- Savage
"Those who trade away essential freedoms for a little saftey deserve neither freedom or saftey."
- Benjamin Franklin
Shadowdancer
02/10/04 11:36 AM

I like Clan Snow Raven. I dunno why, I just do.
Jesus built my Mad Cat.
Silenced_Sonix
02/10/04 01:47 PM

Clan - Smoke Jagaurs. Thye were simply just the meanest, most bad-assed of all the Clans, and I feel that FASA's choice to eliminate them from the storyline was really not necessary. Their fanatic behaviour, coupled with their ruthless and brutal efficiency, made them (at least to me) very similiar to Germany just before and during Wrold War II.

Houses - do not know them, do not care for them. ComStar is the only one who has (had) potential, but I do not think they count as a house as such.
Evolve or Die
tgsofgc
02/10/04 05:38 PM

I warned you with the heading...
The Clans: Well I read through FM: Crusader and Warden a bunch of times and despite the fact that I tend to play in 3025 and was never gunghoe about the invasion I have developed a very specific heiarchy of clan preferences...
Crusaders:
1. Blood Spirits - I like the isolation, I like the lack of front line machines, I like the color scheme, I like the fact that they are the only non totem clan, I like the quality of their warriors, I like their respect for true traditions (not the neotraditionalists like the falcons), I like how they maintain the ancient unit organizations complete with conventional forces.
2. Hell's Horses - I like the paint scheme, I like them as an advesary to the ghost bears, I like the emphasis on elementals and vehicles, I like the mechs they use
3. Star Adder- I like the totem, I like the concept of giant mechs/lyran style forces, I like how they use almost all omni mechs, I like how they are so huge without being part of the invasion
4. Fire Mandrils - I like the inter kindra bidding, I love the colors/paint schemes, I like the insignias, I am not too fond of some of the kindraa
5. Ice Hellions - I like the conspet of speed, I hate their impulsive/aggressive nature, I like things other than speed
6. Crusader Wolves - I love the history of Clan Wolf as the leader of the clans, I love their bloodnames and warriors, I hate Vlad, I like Phelan/Ulric/Natasha/Jaime
7. Jade Flacon - Their color sheme and isignia are pretty cool, I hate their attitudes especially all the neo traditionalist stuff
8. Smoke Jaguar - They were a bit too brutal for me, glad they got annihilated
Wardens:
1. Goliath Scorpion - I like the concept of the seekers, i like their paint schemes (especially the variety there of), I like the emphasis on defensive galaxies, I like the aerospace fighters as an antiground force, I like mobile/offensive defense, I like the artful kill, I like them as drugged out loonys
2. Ghost Bear - I like their choice of mechs, I like their move to the inner sphere, I liked their slow calculating yet iron wills, I like leviathan class transports
3. Coyotes - I like their history, I like the idea of a scientist clan, I like their insignia
4. Diamond Shark - I like the cooperation between castes, I like their liberal stance on clan traditions, I like their merchantile emphasis, I like their key role in clan history, I like how no other clans really like them, I dislike them for the same reason I dislike the Lyrans
5. Steel Vipers - I like the cannon/cruddy omnimechs they have, I like their design philosphies, I like their scewed conception of the Warden cause.
6. Warden Wolves - I like their perseverance, and I really like most of the associated personalities
7. Snow Ravens - At least they aren't the Cloud Cobras
8. Cloud Cobras - Boring forces, don't like the whole religous thing, the Wobblie clan
Overall Top 5:
1. Blood Spirits
2. Goliath Scorpion
3. Ghost Bear
4. Coyote
5. Tie Hell's Horses/Diamond Shark

The Great Houses: This is particularly boring and predictable.
1. Kurita - Emphasis on Light Mechs, Color Schemes, Japanese Influence, Bushido
2. Davion - Emphasis on Jumping AC machines, The good guys, NAIS
3. Marik - Orions, Democracy, They did harbor Wob though
4. Steiner - Big Mechs, Big Industry, more merchantile than military, poor leadership/generals
5. Liao - Assasinations, Dictatorship, propaganda, dumb mechs, super cheese stealth armor
Merc units:
1. Ace Darwin's Whipits - Whats not to like?
2. Battle Magic - Its all about the techs...
3. Rubinsky's Renegades - Not only a cool logo but a preference for brawling
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Grizzly
02/10/04 06:21 PM

IS Houses: Davion and Kurita: I like the Davion preference for autocannons and mechs. I also like the fact that they are the "good" guys who sometimes do bad things. I like the Bushido/honor of the Kuritas. I especially like the classic struggle between the two. The rights of the individual (Davion) vs. the good of the whole (Kurita). I also like the St. Ives Compact, while it existed.

Clans: Wolves in Exile, whats not to like. They have the best characters, and they really want to protect the innner sphere, not just conquer it. Ghost Bears, again whats not to like. They are slow to anger, but once aroused, they drop the hammer on you. Blood Spirits, they hold true to their ideals, no matter what the odds. Wolverines, they didn't kow tow to the "new" line and were persecuted. They probably were the most like what the SLDF was supposed to be.

Mercs: I have always had a soft spot for Snords Irregulars. There quirks and desire to preserve the history of the Star League is what makes them cool. I also like the 21st Centauri Lancers and Eridani Light Horse because of their belief in the traditions of the Star League.
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Nightward
02/10/04 07:05 PM

My favourite Clan was the old Wolves, before the Refusal War. The Wolf Clan, under the leadership of Khan Ulric Kerensky, was the only Clan to grant its captured citizens any forms of free rights, and the Wolf Clan Touman set the standard of "suceeding against the odds".

When Clan Wolftook Rasalhague, defended by 7 of Rasalhague's finest 'Mech Battalions, with another Militia regiment in reserve, supported by the FRR's best AeroSpace units and twenty regiments of conventional infantry and vehicles, the Cutdown for the Bid was determined to be five full Clusters with attached and additional WarShip and Fighter support. It was believed that the campaign to root out and destroy the Rasalhague troops could take up to six full months.

Facing off against the Ghost Bears for the right to take the planet, the Bears realised Clan Wolf wanted Rasalhague at any cost, and elected to push the Bid down as far as they could in the hopes of shaming the Wolves. Clan Wolf's final Bid was just thre Clusters. Ulric created a plan that called for the Wolves to emerge victorious in just four weeks. It took the Wolf Clan just seventeen days to bring the defending forces to their knees and claim the heart of the Free Rasalhague Republic.

When the Wolf Clan fought on Tukayyid, they were put into battle against Anastasius Focht's most elite units- the entirety of the Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Armies. Despite facing the heaviest and most skilled opposition deployed on Tukayyid, Clan Wolf was the only Clan to emerge victorious by claimimng both objectives, but also left Tukayyid with just 20% KIA and 15% WIA.

Clan Wolf was, quite simply, TEH PWN.

After the Refusal War, however, the Clan schismed. Before, the Wolf Clan had been balanced, with the wisdom of the Wardens tempering the fury of the Crusaders. Now both sides existed without balance. Neither appealed to me any more.

And so, the fates conspired and I picked up a copy of FM: Draconis Combine. Though it languished on my bedroom floor for months, I eventually got aropund to reading it. The Akuma...the Kanazuchi...the Alshain Avaengers...I was hooked. The Wolf Clan became a distant memory as I scrambled to serve the Dragon.

For Mercs, I'm a big fan of Jeremiah Rose and his Black Thorns, though after reading "Impetus of War", Loren Jaffray's Northwind Hussars seem pretty interesting as well.

For the Periphery, I liked the Pirates of Star's End. Despite being mauled by the Ghost Bears, the Pirates fought on and mounted a moderately sucessful Guerilla War against them. Nowadays, I kinda like the Marian Hegemony. "Pax Romana? We'll give them *PAX ROMANA*!"
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
neven
02/11/04 12:39 AM

ok, lets add some more to this post...
which great house or clan etc. do you think is best?
decide, argue, have fun!
tgsofgc
02/12/04 01:58 AM

Quote:

do you think is best?

Define "Best"?

Edited by tgsofgc (02/12/04 02:05 AM)
neven
02/13/04 01:30 AM

what i mean is, what "empire" do you think is better, bigger, more powerful, bolder, etc.
get the point?
Silpheed
02/13/04 01:38 AM

Well, I think one of the major points of Battletech is that there is no "best". In terms of power, everyone has been at a stalemate since the First Succesion War, except maybe the Federated Commonwealth for a very brief period.
"War is nothing but a duel on an extensive scale." - Clausewitz
Thor_Mech
02/20/04 12:20 AM

Lets see...
Favorite Clan: Clan Wolf before the split. As previously stated, they did some pretty sweet things. Also, Phelen Wolf took Gunzburg by himself. THAT is sweet. Without a shot being fired too.

Favorite House: Davion. Definately Davion. They have that entire medieval knight/champion thing. My favorite time was during the initial Clan Invasion, because Hanse Davion is cool, but Justin Allard is the best.

Favorite Periphery State: I dunno... they aren't super well known.

Favorite Merc Group: Wolf's Dragoons. Natasha Kerensky and the Black Widow Company are sweet. Also, five full regiments! I like the book Wolves on the Border, where the Dragoons rip the Galedon district of the Draconis Combine to shreds. Especially destroying the Sword of Light regiment on Misery.
"Even after all these years, walking through the ranks of 'Mechs still gives me the chills"
- Intelligence Secretary Justin Xiang Allard
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
Toontje
02/20/04 05:02 AM

CC is morally superiour to any other faction albeit a bit weaker physically. No discussion possible about that.
Rather to blow up, then.
Thor_Mech
02/20/04 12:06 PM

Whatever, they lost the 4th war
"Even after all these years, walking through the ranks of 'Mechs still gives me the chills"
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
Toontje
02/21/04 04:48 AM

And won back almost everything (work in progress) afterward, wereas the cause of loss was too busy bickering. To climb back up from a pit, or fall from a pillar, now who is the winner in the end, hmm?
Rather to blow up, then.
Thor_Mech
02/21/04 11:26 AM

Hey, like the CapCon if you want, but what's better, to have achieved greatness (FedCom) or always being considered the low end of the totem poll?
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
cmryan
02/22/04 01:16 AM

My favorite Clan: Clan Wolf before the Jade Falcons killed Ulric Kerensky next favorite Clan Snow Raven. My favorite Great House House Davion. Favorite mercenary regiment The Gray Death Legion.
tgsofgc
02/23/04 01:28 AM

The recent turn in the Cap Con is due to deus ex machina (I think I got that right). Anyways the thing is this, they were always the inner spheres losers, and evil. So when we flip battletech on its head trying to reinvent it what is the first things we do, we screw with all the most developed issues in the storyline. Say the Fedcom... which goes back to the original TRO in a way, is dissolved because someone can basicallly convince a people recovering from a war under the funding and guidance of a foreign power that that power is EVIL, then successfully take over the rememnant fedcom whith barely a word. Or the cap con notorious for assasin squads and a huge military for internal security just says "come home" and tons of units come back and join up. Personally most of the new storylines (read as 3058+) reak of overt melodrama to me. Before that we had factions that represented archetypes, and were then further fleshed out in novels that a % of us read (not including myself). Since 3050, and more specifically since 3058+, things have not only broken down they take plot twists simply for the sake of plot twists. It comes off like a soap opera to me... Jack married Jill, then we discovered Jill is a Clone of Diana, who is in prison and next episode we reveal that Diana was actually falsely accused and the clone was made against her will.
[End Rant, resume sleeping]
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
neven
02/23/04 02:08 AM

Jack and jill, hmm
i hate the capcon, they are inferior even to the frr, and they suck.
i think the fedsun are the most powerful great house.
Toontje
02/23/04 09:23 AM

Haha, if you like fedsuns, then of cause you don't like the Capellan Confederation. We spanked your buttocks after all.

But if there is a deux ex machina, then it's Katty. Altrough with the history of the IS, it's not a real problem to justify it all. The survival of the henchman of Victor whatshisname, after the bombing of his mother. A giant Space Soap Opera, that's it all! The first part of history was already figured out, before the publication. Arrival of the clans was on it's way, after all, even in the unrevised 3025 there is al LOT of mentioning of wolfs dragoons and Kerensky. Guess with player comments the story was further unfolded, that's the sudden sway in CC society from more or less USSR/China to more liberal attitudes. The FS-LC merger was doomed from the start, as long-term there is more story in 5 seperate entities than FC against the rest o/t known world. Same with IS vs. Clan.

Now back to advocating the noble CC cause...
Rather to blow up, then.
Thor_Mech
02/23/04 09:45 AM

Spanked the FedCom? Remember, those worlds you won were YOUR OWN WORLDS LOST DURING THE 4TH WAR!
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
Toontje
02/23/04 10:15 AM

Yes, and it shows a lot of lack of tenacity to be unable to keep them, no? Taking worlds is one thing, but keeping them is another.

And we're not spanking the fedcom, we're spanking the fedsuns atm. Federated comonwealth was just another jacket, but still the people who were there were FS miltary. With the liberation of the Lyran people, the jacket has become bloodstained. (Note: I still need to borrow the FC civil war, so my info is only up to 3062. Funding limits stopped me there for now.)

Tthe decades just prior to the 4th SW were the military weakest in Copellan Confederation history, and yet, the mighty fox was unable to take all. Oh, he tried, but his wedding gift was a lot of bombastic words, but living up to it, no, he could not.
Rather to blow up, then.
neven
02/23/04 01:42 PM

ppsh
the fedsuns is the best, they kick ass!
any other dudes suck compared to the suns.
Thor_Mech
02/25/04 07:15 PM

Right... he only created the strongest house in the IS and stripped the CapCom of half of its worlds, including the Tikonov region which is a majo mech-producer.
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
Nightward
02/25/04 11:59 PM

Uh. You mean the morons who fought a massive civil war, were led by idiotic propaganda, and who (not so incoincidentally) have always been the author's favourite House to work with?

The problem is that the FedSuns only /*LOOKS*/ the best. The DCMS could stomp them into the ground.

I really pity the FWLM. The only time they get any attention at all is when they are mentioned as a footnote. "Oh, BTW, you hear what happened on Atreus?" "No. And I really don't care."

All the Houses should be equal. Otherwise, you get insane situations like the Xin Sheng movement, the FedCom Civil War, and the WoB Jihad after they realise how unbalanced things have become.

Rather like the Wolf/Jade Falcon war, the fall of the Smoke Jaguars, ad infinatum.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
neven
02/26/04 01:54 AM

ok, the capcom fought a war with st. ives compact, and both sides lost big time.
and the dcms is just a bunch of wussies recruited and "trained" so they could fight off a wallflower that "threatens" the DC.
Grizzly
02/26/04 04:02 PM

Which wallflower would that be... The AFFS or the Ghost Bears? Last time I checked the Ghost Bears had the largest Touman among the clans, and while the AFFS maybe a formidible millitary force, they are a shell of their former selves due to losses incurred during the civil war. It's going to take them years to rebuild their numbers and level of experience. And as far as the Capcon civil war, they have for the most part rebuilt their millitary. There are still some growing pains with the integration of the CCAF and the SIMC, but I would have to say that overall the CCAF is stronger now, than it has been in years (due in part to the end of the Capcon civil war, new technology aka shadow lances, and the alliance with the Magistracy of Canopus).
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
tgsofgc
02/26/04 05:30 PM

Whole heartedly agree, and in many ways this is what I was trying to say. Granted I fully advocate keeping the flavors of the houses. Afterall the Fed suns were the "good guys" that started all the succession wars... and the Lyrans were the big mech producers that never grasped the concept of why lining up 20 100 ton behemoths doesn't win every battle. (note examples)
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 69257

Contact Admins Sarna.net