Newb question: hex based battletech game?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gangrene
06/27/04 12:57 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok, so what are the cheats?
Gangrene
Iceman
06/27/04 01:13 PM

Hmm? Are you serious? Just back up your squad file *before* you enter battle. If the battle is going south for you, quit, and replace the squad file with the back up. Takes what, a few secs? Simple and clean, and no need for an in-game cheat.
Gangrene
06/27/04 01:21 PM

I already did that, but that doesn't make the game any more fun. How are they encoded?
Gangrene

Edited by Gangrene (06/27/04 01:30 PM)
Iceman
06/27/04 01:25 PM

Quote:

Oh no, don't call me a n00b! R u so L337?

Eh? I didn't call you a n00b, I said patch 1.2 has a feature to help n00bs.

Quote:

Yeah, its the thing defined by the user, not the designer.

You did read what I wrote after that part, didn't you? It was about the user, not the designer.

Quote:

ToS won't even be a 10 hour game for most people, after they realize its crap.

According to you maybe. But some people just happen to think differently. Some have been playing it for years (including the shareware version). About it being crap, at least it's great crap ;-)

Quote:

And some game designers make games that are fun without cheating, go figure.

And some actually manage to combine the two, go figure

Quote:

Do you realize what you just wrote down? You're right, the game is something to endure, not enjoy.

Yes I do. Just like you did. If your squad can endure the beatings of a decent AI, and you can handle your blood pressure and heartbeat rate, you'll have lots of fun. That's what you meant, right?
Iceman
06/27/04 01:31 PM

More fun? Are we talking the same thing here? "to quit out of battles unpenalized", that's what I was refering to. Editing the squad files, that takes a hex editor. Great fun, that.
Gangrene
06/27/04 06:43 PM

Quote:

Eh? I didn't call you a n00b, I said patch 1.2 has a feature to help n00bs.

It was implied, and your condescending attitude noted. Way to represent the company.

Quote:

You did read what I wrote after that part, didn't you? It was about the user, not the designer.

No, your statement was dictation to the user, not based on feedback from them. I am a user. I paid money for the damn game, and I am telling you it is messed up.

Quote:

According to you maybe. But some people just happen to think differently.

They must be a very small group, as the price at retailers was dropped to $10 to meet demand. There are three year old games cost more than that.

Quote:

And some actually manage to combine the two, go figure

Its too bad VB didn't manage that with ToS.

Quote:

Yes I do. Just like you did. If your squad can endure the beatings of a decent AI, and you can handle your blood pressure and heartbeat rate, you'll have lots of fun. That's what you meant, right?

No. Have you been paying attention? It does not matter how good the AI is if the idiot jocks players are forced to make cannot hit something right in front of them. Even a boneheaded AI can win under those circumstances. The game touts itself as "strategy", but really its about character competency.
Gangrene
Iceman
06/27/04 07:42 PM

Quote:

It was implied, and your condescending attitude noted. Way to represent the company.

You made that leap. And I don't represent anyone but myself. I'm a player just like yourself. I just happen to have been beta tester for the game.

Quote:

No, your statement was dictation to the user, not based on feedback from them. I am a user. I paid money for the damn game, and I am telling you it is messed up.

How do you know what feedback from users I have? There are private forums you do not have access to, and private traffic. I'm also a user, and I know a bunch more. If one user says it's messed up and a bunch say it isn't, well, guess what. Anyways, it only cost you 10 bucks, right? No big loss.

Quote:

They must be a very small group, as the price at retailers was dropped to $10 to meet demand. There are three year old games cost more than that.

Why don't you ask that in the forum, and maybe someone from either VB or Matrix will explain it to you?
And for this type of game it's not that linear, and you know that. But it's not like it's in your best interest to acknowledge that, is it?

Quote:

Its too bad VB didn't manage that with ToS.

Yep, too bad for you. Fortunately for many people they did.

Quote:

No. Have you been paying attention? It does not matter how good the AI is if the idiot jocks players are forced to make cannot hit something right in front of them. Even a boneheaded AI can win under those circumstances. The game touts itself as "strategy", but really its about character competency.

Again, this is your experience. Go read the forum. Read the AARs. Count the number of complaints there about this issue.
And yes, character competency plays a big part in the game, just like the game description in the box hints at. You did read it, didn't you?

I think we should stop this now. You're picking on issues the developers made a point on keeping as is, just for the sake of argument. The game does not allow direct cheating, but part of it can be circumvented. That's what you have to work with. If you choose not to, there's always ebay.
Gangrene
06/27/04 09:43 PM

Quote:

You made that leap. And I don't represent anyone but myself. I'm a player just like yourself. I just happen to have been beta tester for the game.

Your attitude is quite clear, and as a VB associate and playtester it explains why the game design is so hostile to new players or casual gamers, a.k.a. "n00bs". You cannot simply divorce yourself from something you have had a hand in. Your responses in this forum clearly show the attitude VB takes towards people who purchase their game, whether you intended it or not.

Quote:

How do you know what feedback from users I have? There are private forums you do not have access to, and private traffic.

Are you willing to post some or all the customer research VB did for this game?

Quote:

I'm also a user, and I know a bunch more. If one user says it's messed up and a bunch say it isn't, well, guess what. Anyways, it only cost you 10 bucks, right? No big loss.

Do you or VB want to send me my $10 back? I will gladly send you the CD and packaging for it.

Quote:

Why don't you ask that in the forum, and maybe someone from either VB or Matrix will explain it to you?

Its explained by the quality of the game.

Quote:

Again, this is your experience. Go read the forum. Read the AARs. Count the number of complaints there about this issue.
And yes, character competency plays a big part in the game, just like the game description in the box hints at. You did read it, didn't you?

Yes, the role-playing element is mentioned on the box. However, any sentence like "the player will start out with incompetent jocks who cannot hit the side of a barn, and will be forced to endure hours of tedius play before having a capable unit" is missing.

Quote:

I think we should stop this now.

So stop. I'll gladly stop if you send me my $10 back.

Quote:

You're picking on issues the developers made a point on keeping as is, just for the sake of argument. The game does not allow direct cheating, but part of it can be circumvented. That's what you have to work with. If you choose not to, there's always ebay.

Just for kicks I looked up Titans of Steel on ebay. The current bid: $1. Damn, I couldn't even get a hamburger for it.
Gangrene
Iceman
06/28/04 06:10 AM

Quote:

Your attitude is quite clear, and as a VB associate and playtester it explains why the game design is so hostile to new players or casual gamers, a.k.a. "n00bs".

You're fishing, and being quite ridiculous making that kind of association. Not trying to offend you, but I'm sure you'll take it that way, with your attitude and all.

Quote:

You cannot simply divorce yourself from something you have had a hand in.

Oh but I have no intention of doing that. But my opinions about the game are my own, and since I'm NOT VB I can say whatever I want (within certain parameters of course). What you think you know is your own business.

Quote:

Your responses in this forum clearly show the attitude VB takes towards people who purchase their game, whether you intended it or not.

Yawnn... You didn't like the game. Fine. You said your piece, I tried to explain why Henrik did things the way he did, to the best of my knowledge. You think your will should overcome the designer's. It doesn't. Throwing a tantrum won't do you any good though.

Quote:

Are you willing to post some or all the customer research VB did for this game?

Why don't you ask them? You know who they are? At least you know where to find them.

Quote:

Do you or VB want to send me my $10 back? I will gladly send you the CD and packaging for it.

I got a copy already. But thanks anyway. Keep it, who knows, someday you might come to like it. Yeah yeah, I know.

Quote:

Its explained by the quality of the game.

Yawnn again. I've seen 2 people question the quality of the game, both here. Both because they couldn't get past the initial stages. I've also seen people here with the opposite attitude. Sorry, doesn't fly.

Quote:

Yes, the role-playing element is mentioned on the box. However, any sentence like "the player will start out with incompetent jocks who cannot hit the side of a barn, and will be forced to endure hours of tedius play before having a capable unit" is missing.

Yes, it should have been printed in YOUR box. I guess Matrix forgot about that. Not my place to apologise for that though.

Quote:

So stop. I'll gladly stop if you send me my $10 back.

Hehe. So keep going, I was just thinking about this board. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.
Gangrene
06/28/04 09:28 PM

Quote:

You're fishing, and being quite ridiculous making that kind of association.

But my opinions about the game are my own, and since I'm NOT VB I can say whatever I want (within certain parameters of course).

While you may not be the lead of the company, you still are a part of it. Yeah, you can say whatever you want, but you're still someone who had input to the design and therefore a rep of the product and company. The association is good enough for me.

Quote:

You think your will should overcome the designer's. It doesn't. Throwing a tantrum won't do you any good though.

No, I think the company should listen to valid complaints of those who purchased their product. Its not like I'm asking for a new graphics engine.
Gangrene

Edited by Gangrene (06/28/04 09:52 PM)
tgsofgc
06/29/04 01:10 AM

Game Rankings.com - Averge 60% - http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/537160.asp
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Iceman
06/29/04 06:10 AM

Quote:

While you may not be the lead of the company, you still are a part of it. Yeah, you can say whatever you want, but you're still someone who had input to the design and therefore a rep of the product and company. The association is good enough for me.

Like I said, I am NOT a part of the company (VB). But whatever, it suits you that I am in this discussion, so think whatever you like.

Quote:

No, I think the company should listen to valid complaints of those who purchased their product. Its not like I'm asking for a new graphics engine.

They did, the operative word being VALID. There's one patch already out for some time, and another one just about to. I already told you about one of the features included in this patch to help new players.

BTW, did you ASK for anything, I mean did you ask VICIOUS BYTE for any changes? For them to listen, you have to speak up. Unless you're in the Matrix forum under a different callsign, I never saw you there. So if that's the case, I don't think you have any "right" to complain about what they did or didn't do, what they changed or didn't, based on your difficulties. Looks to me like you're just venting off steam for some reason. How long do you have the game?
Iceman
06/29/04 06:35 AM

GamesUnderground: 8.38
Deaf Gamers: 8.5
Konsolen World (german): 79%
PC Zone UK: 38% (they gave Korsun Pocket 20%... hehe)
Gangrene
06/29/04 09:49 PM

Quote:

Like I said, I am NOT a part of the company (VB).

I assumed that since you are listed in 3 aspects of the game design you are employed by them. My fault. But you're right, I shouldn't be wasting my time with somebody who can't do anything. Cya.
Gangrene
tgsofgc
06/30/04 02:42 AM

I guess you insist on skewing my post again. I posted a simple informative link to a composite score page that combines and averages the scores from a number of large and well credited pc reviewers.... since you insist on quoting specifics I will copy and paste the list for you.
Gamezone - 86%
All About Games UK - 80%
PC Gamer - 79%
SciFi Magazine - 70%
IC Games - 67%
GameCell - 60%
Computer Gaming World - 50%
PC Gamer UK - 47%
Strategy Informer - 42%
PC Format UK - 41%
Strategy Gaming - 40%
If you want you can return to my previous link and it has links to all the full reviews except the three from the large game magazines (which likely aren't online... yet) [PC Gamer, PC Gamer UK, Computer Gaming World].
Thought I'd copy and paste this too:
Quote:

Q. Why are Gamers.com scores not included in the Rankings?
A. I used to include scores from Gamers.com in the average ratios, however, since their reviews come from Ziff-Davis magazines, it was including the same score twice. My Answer to people that used to complain about it was simple, you get a big magazine and a big website and your opinion can count twice too. However, recently more and more companies have been complaining because of the scores being counted twice, so I finally gave in and list Gamers.com under other reviews and only use the score from the print version. Oh and the day I did that, I started getting all kinds of emails for not counting them. Any change = 1/3 Happy, 1/3 Unhappy, 1/3 Never Notice.

I figured I might as well share other information from this ignored, and quite useful site:
Site Stats for the sites quoted for ToS:WS
Gamezone - Avg rating of all reviews 78%
All About Games UK - 77%
PC Gamer - 68%
SciFi Magazine - 85%
IC Games - 80%
GameCell - 74%
CGW - 63%
PC Gamer UK - 70%
Strategy Informer - 75%
PC Format UK - 66%
Strategy Gaming - 80%

If you visit the site it has tons more statistical information too.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Iceman
06/30/04 08:46 AM

Touché, huh?
Oh the sadness of running out of arguments...
Iceman
06/30/04 08:57 AM

Quote:

I guess you insist on skewing my post again. I posted a simple informative link to a composite score page that combines and averages the scores from a number of large and well credited pc reviewers.... since you insist on quoting specifics I will copy and paste the list for you.

Eh?! Yes, you posted a link. I posted additional results that were not on the listed reviews, because I had mentioned there being several reviews of 79+%. I was backing up my post, not challenging yours. Why should I paste all results here, if you had already given the link?! I know all the reviews, I have them all on disk, including the magazines. How did I skew your post? Are you on something, or still stung about our last discussion(s)? Geez, get a life man.
Lone_Wolf_Radick
07/06/04 12:35 PM

Is there a fix for MegaMek when it begins what I've named "the constant crash phase"? Short of deleting and reinstalling it, nothing seems to help.. It's gotten to the point where the game will not even launch anymore, resulting in wasted hard drive space where once lived a convincing digital conversion of the old school board game...
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
Sesshomeru
11/18/04 06:37 PM

To Iceman
Where do i find this V 1.4, wich is a tutorial right.so far i've only found patch v 1.2 Also what is included in v 1.4
Iceman
11/19/04 10:50 AM

Titans of Steel, the shareware version, was left at version v1.4, which is the one you're refering to. It may still be available in a couple of personal sites, not sure, you can try to google for it.
Titans of Steel: Warring Suns, the commercial version (that spawned from v1.4) is currently at patch v1.2.1, available from the Matrix Games download page.
So v1.4 is actually not a more recent patch for the commercial version, but a stand-alone shareware game. It does not have a tutorial, but the commercial version does. v1.4 is just a poorer version of WS, but just as addictive and fun. WS has 3 new weapons, better graphics and sound, pre-made maps, campaign mode, lots of tweaks, loads of new additions, an improved manual, 3D terrain, cool soundtrack, ...
Hope this helps.
Sesshomeru
11/26/04 06:16 PM

Yes it does a llitlle bit but not a whole lot. Thanks anyway UIceman
With each kill I grow wiser and with that knowledge I grow stronger.
-Artemis Entreri
Sesshomeru
11/26/04 06:17 PM

I meant Iceman
With each kill I grow wiser and with that knowledge I grow stronger.
-Artemis Entreri
Iceman
11/28/04 12:27 PM

You'll have to be more specific about what you need, then.

You can look at Titans of Steel v1.4 (ToS), the latest version of the freeware game, as the "demo" for Titans of Steel: Warring Suns (WS), the much improved commercial version. The basic engine of the game is the same.
v1.4 is fully playable, no limitations. It used to be available for dl in Eric's site, but not anymore.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 40773

Contact Admins Sarna.net