WarCraft III ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
KamikazeJohnson
07/07/02 12:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Anyone here try it yet?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Bob_Richter
07/09/02 09:01 PM

I liked it. An amusing combination of adventure game and RTS. Played through the singleplayer campaign. Very nice.

MP AIs are a little overnasty though.

Have you tried the Warchasers mission? That's fun with 4 players.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Durango
07/10/02 02:49 PM

Try it, no. Seen it, yes.

I refuse to play a game which insists that in order to advance your technology you must have a specific building. (Unless that building is a school, or academy, or university.)

I just don't like playing ***craft games. You get your entire city built, maybe even a second one, and by that time, you've used up all your resources...then the enemy comes by and trashes everything you've been working on for the past three hours. You're left there sitting wondering why you just wasted three hours.

Anyway, I've seen III, the graphics are a little hard to make out (despite requiring DX8.1). And I've got a 21" monitor!

Anyway, it most certainly does NOT rock.
KamikazeJohnson
07/10/02 05:29 PM

I guess its a matter of opinion, then

I'm a fan of RTSs, and I found that the game play was very smooth, and many of the new features made micro-management much easier than other games of the same type. Much of the format is designed to avoid 3-hour games, encouraging fast, violent conflicts.

As a long-time StarCraft fan, I think WC3 took that style of game to the next level, and did it very well. But that's just my opinion
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
07/10/02 05:31 PM

Haven't tried Warchasers, but I did play that stupid sheep thing

True, the AI can be truly insane, but there's a trick to beating it. It even works, once in a while
--Thomas Jefferson
Bob_Richter
07/10/02 10:11 PM

>>>Try it, no.<<<

Ahem. Then you must realise how little weight your opinion carries, since you, by your own admission, don't know what you're talking about.

-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
CrayModerator
07/10/02 11:44 PM

I've enjoyed the entire Warcraft trilogy. Good stuff.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
07/10/02 11:45 PM

>I refuse to play a game which insists that in order to advance your technology you must have a specific building.

Try building a suit of armor without a smithy, or even train smiths without a smithy.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Durango
07/15/02 11:28 AM

Well, I guess that wouldn't be the first time for either of us, then, eh?

deleteme
07/22/02 12:35 AM

from what I hear, The game is really good. But, the game stresses on unit control, since the more guys you have, the more you have to pay in upkeep. So it may suck for people like me who prefer the mass units of starcraft. Another problem I'm hearing is the lack of a zoom out feature.

I can't wait to get home(from college) and try it though. It's one of the first things on my to-buy list
KamikazeJohnson
07/23/02 05:38 PM

>>Another problem I'm hearing is the lack of a zoom out feature.<<

Yes...I find that quite annoying. But that's part of Blizzard's way of leveling the playing field for all computers. Players with a 21" monitor see no more real estate than do those with a 14".

OTOH, the hero characters on my new 19" flatscreen monitor are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
07/23/02 06:20 PM

Meh. Played it the other day, and whilst it wasn't too bad, it wasn't that great either. Heroes of Might and Magic IV, now...that's a good game. Aside from a few issues I have with the storyline (the whole planet from Heroes III was destroyed and some few have managed to open a portal into a new world) and the character portraits (what the hell is Sandro wearing on his head?) the game is really good. Especially the bit where your heroes can change classes and become a special character (Christian became a Paladin in the game I'm playing right now) and actually fight in combat (mwaha! I have a Dwarven Hammer, Plate Mail, and a Crossbow) is also a nice feature. Plus you can reach level 70
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
07/24/02 12:46 AM

WTF??? You like that buggy game over Warcraft 3? Its not even the same class of game (WC3 is RTS while Heroes is Turn Based). Even the BETA Demo of Age of Wonders 2 whoops the entire game of Heroes of Might and Magic IV and it is certainly less buggy than HoMM IV to boot (A beta less buggy than a game gone gold is just ludricrous).

Now I suggest you stop sniffing those chemicals in the labs and straighten yourself out lad before you say something else you will regret

Greyslayer
Nightward
07/24/02 04:53 PM

I don't really like RTS games. I find it too annoying to micromanage every feature of my army and try to control my economy at the same time. When I do learn to balance both, I am a force to be reckoned with, but until then, I suck badly at the game.

Turn-based games give me the luxury of running an economy and building an army with incredible ease.

Not all turn-based games are bad. Think Worms. I prefer those styles of games (even when I play Baldur's Gate, I set it to turn-based so I can deal with it more easily). It's just the kind of game I prefer.

Besides, in Warcraft do you get to command legions of Angels? No? I thought not
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
SoyBigHead
07/24/02 04:58 PM

ya but RTS games are so much more realistic; even fantasy RTSes are more realistic than turn-based ones (but not by much, IMNSHO). Im not sure why; most likely because in real-life, armies DO have to contend with a economy and building their forces at the same time (case in point, the SR-71 was retired cuz it was too expensive; not for lack of use)
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
Nightward
07/24/02 05:14 PM

*Shrug*

Perhaps so, but I am a scientist. I have gotten too used to the scientifc method. "First you do this, then you do that, then something else will happen." I tend to get lost in the details in RTS games. Turn-based games allow me to get my thoughts in order and kick some serious buttock. I loose too often in RTS games until I work them out, and loosing is never fun. However, in turn-based games, I can learn as I go along and it does not overly affect me in combat. Case in point: last night I attacked a group of Gold Golems supported by Haflings. I took the haflings out first, because they are ranged attackers, then targeted the Gold Gomes, because they fight in melee. Unfortunately, I discovered that the Gold Golems were very, very tough and hit hard. So I changed my tactics and fought a hit-and-run battle, outflanked the Golems, and won the fight. In an RTS game, I would simply have gotten hammered.

It's just the type of game I like to play. It may not be everyone's favourite system, but everyone has their own opinions.
SoyBigHead
07/24/02 09:35 PM

im not putting ya down; im just stating a fact; i mean if turn-nbased is what works for ya, then by all means play what you enjoy. isnt that the point of owning the game anyways? the only thing i have against turn-based games is just that: turns. Kinda slow for me. thats why i like RTS; everything happening at once in a paradox of controlled chaos
-Mark Twain
Greyslayer
07/25/02 12:59 AM

'I find it too annoying to micromanage every feature of my army and try to control my economy at the same time.'

And that is why RTS games can be more challenging and enjoyable. There is always some aspect you would need to improve. When Warcraft 2 was still relatively new and for about 18 months after its release I had never been defeated 1 on 1. I had not managed every aspect, in fact my combat skills sucked it big and I was honourable enough to never rush my opponnents in the first 1/2 hour of a game, but efficient building layouts and excellent designation of peasants early set me up well so that I could cover for my poor military control methods. The only thing my military was good at was using those dwarven demo teams and invis mages. It is going to take me months to get even average at warcraft 3 seeing how it is harder to plan a base than in the second game. Oh well therein lies the fun.

'Turn-based games give me the luxury of running an economy and building an army with incredible ease.'

Yeah you sound like Tony. We had to set 5 minute turns in Civ 2 or else it would be 1/2 an hour just for him to finish a turn... I hate people pondering their moves like that it makes the game no fun what so ever.

'Besides, in Warcraft do you get to command legions of Angels? No? I thought not '

Can your dwarves say ' Guns don't kill people... I DO!' ? No? I thought not! ;p

Greyslayer .... not to mention that you can still click on sheep until they blow up
Nightward
07/27/02 04:51 AM

You're still missing the point, Scott. The point is this: I don't like RTS games. Never have. Never will. And after what Blizzard did with Lord of Destruction, I will never buy one of their products again. "The expansion will allow players to create Rune Words and Crafted Items...oh, by the way, did we mention that these features would only be enabled for on-line players, *NOT FOR SINGLE PLAYERS, YOU INCREDIBLE LIFELESS LOOSERS, SO STOP COMPLAINING*, and only for 0.2 seconds per day anyhow?"

But those are just my opinions.
novakitty
07/27/02 10:39 AM

You hate Blizzard because of one feature in one expansion only being available on-line and in hacks?

Yes, I did add hacks as a way to get runewords, http://diablo2.cheatlist.com/ is a good place to start looking for one you want.
meow
Nightward
07/28/02 06:03 PM

I hate Blizzard because they told us a feature would be made available, then took it away from the majority of players. When we complained, they ignored us, then later threw us a few runewords to keep us happy.

I was also annoyed at the fact that their "World-Wide" release included (*GASP!*) only America and bits of Canada. It took a month to make it down here, but after the first week it was released in the US, my friends had pirate copies of thge game. I waited the extra month and shelled out for the game, then discovered what I had payed for was not being presented to me. Wouldn't you be a little annoyed in the same circumstances?

If I want to be treated as though my opinion as a paying customer does not matter, I'll take up BattleTech...oh...wait
novakitty
07/28/02 06:21 PM

One month is little compared to how much the release date was set back since the game was first announced. Same with Warcraft 3.

I have seen pirated versions of new games weeks before they are released.

I have experienced the same failings, although one month earlier.

Bilzzard is not the fastest group of programers, and has some of the worst release date projection time, but you are just looking for reasons to whine.
meow
Nightward
07/28/02 06:26 PM

Meh. Whatever. I just don't like RTS and I don't like Blizzard. Can we leave it at that?
SoyBigHead
07/28/02 06:59 PM

my friend had WarCraft III Beta back in February :-/
-Mark Twain
Greyslayer
07/29/02 05:28 AM

Hmmmm if Fasa just had a portion of the skill that goes into blizzard games they would never have gone out of business.

I suppose you found a game like Dungeon Keeper from Bullfrog annoying as well?

Greyslayer
KamikazeJohnson
07/29/02 03:48 PM

I believe subtitles are an option for in-game. I'm not sure about the cinematics, so you might lose something from the cinematics. Multiplayer, you don't really need sound or subtitles, but it helps. You might find yourself at a bit of a disadvantage in multiplayer (at least against experienced opponents) but the game should still be enjoyable.
--Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
07/29/02 05:04 PM

Can't say. Never played it. Not all "real-time" games are bad. I liked the SimCity line when I was younger and occasionally mess around with it now. When you work that game out, though, there's not much point in playing it anymore.
novakitty
07/29/02 06:24 PM

Subtitles work for all dialogue, but not unit responses or sound effects.

This means you wil not see a typed version of the more comedic responses from excessively selecting a unit. (but sheep and pigs still go boom)
meow
KamikazeJohnson
07/29/02 06:52 PM

>>This means you wil not see a typed version of the more comedic responses from excessively selecting a unit.<<

Hehe...my favorite pastime

"Darkness called...but I was on the phone, so I missed it.
I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up.
I yelled, 'Darkness, pick up the phone!', but he ignored me.
Darkness must have been screening his calls. "

Heyyyyyy...maybe I should set that as my new sig...
--Thomas Jefferson
Greyslayer
07/29/02 07:24 PM

I went through all the orc and human responses last night. Clearly the Mortar Team have the best in the lot.

"Hmmmm you have a chip on your shoulder"
"Yes and a bit of fish as well"

"We must kill the dwarves"
"arrgh, we ARE the dwarves"
"Oh!"

I suppose the dwarven riflemen and the dwarf mountain king come a close second:

D. Mountain King
"Can ya put some bonus points into my drinking skills?"

Greyslayer ... hours of fun and your not even concentrating on playing the game
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11485

Contact Admins Sarna.net