Mech Racing...

Pages: 1
Karagin
09/10/02 08:00 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I ran across this in the fluff of a mech from Far and Away Magazine called the NATE...it was based on racing mechs and was an old SLDF super scout mech that was faster then anything around...

So would there be mech racing going on different planets or would this be solely a Solairs deal?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Spartan
09/10/02 02:35 PM

Official, organized mech racing probably goes on only on Solaris, that's the only place that they would spend that kind of money on a mech and modifications for an entertainment. Unofficial mech racing probably goes on throughout the Inner Sphere. I'll bet my Spider can out run your Locust!
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Countergod
09/10/02 07:54 PM

My Dasher can beat your spider, muhuhahahaha!!!!!
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
Spartan
09/12/02 05:08 PM

You would dishonor your clan and yourself by using a mech in such a dishonorable display of non-combativeness?
Spartan

KamikazeJohnson
09/12/02 05:30 PM

Who said it would be non-combatative? That Locust wouldn't run very fast with its legs shot off...

And I would expect 'Mech racing to have some degree of popularity. Remember, Battlemechs aren't the only 'Mechs out there. It's entirely conceivable that people/companies with the money might spend it on racing, such as today's F1, CART, or NASCAR.

btw...anyone know how much one of those cars is worth, and how that figure would stack up with the cost of a racing 'Mech?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Spartan
09/13/02 04:46 PM

yes they do spend that money on racing cars, but how much is spent on the racing tank association?
Spartan

Karagin
12/04/05 02:44 AM

Still think this would be found on Solaris...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
NileIngrams
12/29/05 07:21 PM

Heh... I would not be surprised if a Clanner has raced a mech as a part of their Batchall. I distinctly remember one world that decided to make a Grid Iron Football game as their arena of combat for the possession of their world. Naturally the clanners won because they fielded a team of Elementals that whupped ass big time.

It is not dishonourable for the Clans to "race", if that is the method by which the combatants have agreed to contest things.
And in some ways, if a clanner does issue a batchall for the Pot of a Mech Race (no matter how small), it legitimizes it completely.

Clan Behaviour can be very flexible, if you investigate it fully. It is a part of their bidding system, to cut back their forces to
only the barest minimum required to win the contest - the contest as agreed upon by all combatants.

Wouldn't be surprised if a Clanner would issue a Batchall to take all the Property on the Monopoly Board - for the Glory of the Clans, Warriors, for the Glory of the Clans! HAHA! Innersphere Dog, you have landed on Clan Jade Falcons Park Avenue with a Hotel - pay the rent, Surat, or I will bankrupt you!

Edited by NileIngrams (12/29/05 07:23 PM)
Gnome76
12/30/05 11:31 AM

But since there are different versions of Monopoly, wouldn't that be Grand Coucil Hall with a Jumpship? And, of course, you'd never want to play against the Diamond Shark guy.
Auren_Shiro
12/30/05 06:13 PM

He is... Scary at best.
Need...more...Nevcrack...
Chameleon
01/03/06 01:02 AM

alright NileIngrams, that was possibly the greatest thing I have heard in awhile, the vision of the fate of a planet being decided over a game of Monopoly will stick with me for a long time.
You know when it comes to racism, people say: " I don't care if they're black, white, purple or green"... Ooh hold on now: Purple or Green? You gotta draw the line somewhere! To hell with purple people! - Unless they're suffocating - then help'em.
ElizabethJohanson
08/12/21 03:52 AM

Post deleted by Cray
ghostrider
08/12/21 08:58 PM

As this is an old thread, I didn't read it when I first came to the boards.
But there are a few things that should be answered.
First question is it a straight up race, or does it include and obstacle course?
How do you determine a winner if the constants are using the same mechs?

With this, I believe that if started during the SL period, I would think multiple worlds would have it, as Solaris was not only world that would be involved in things like this. Even mech fights would be done around the IS.
A possible way to determine winner is using piloting skill rolls for that extra 'boost' or footing to help one unit win over another.
An obstacle course would allow slower, better piloted units a chance to win as well.
This is something that can be debatable, as the example someone had was using a spider verse a locust. The spider being able to jump could well vault over some obstacles in the route, so give it an advantage.
With the newer tech, like the partial wing, this might offset a spider's jump capability.
FrabbyModerator
08/13/21 05:32 AM

Not sure how to delete the spambot…

As for the topic at hand, 'Mech sports are explicitly mentioned for the Noisiel games. Unlike Solaris which is combat-oriented, Noisiel has stuff like 'Mech gymnastics and 'Mech chess games.
Wick
09/12/21 07:24 PM

The old Martial Olympiad had (at least) two mech races: the Mare Serenitatis Relay on Luna and Titan's Cassini Memorial Combat Hurdles. No information on them except the names, but the relay probably involved mechs* of different classes operating as a team with each mech suited to a particular part of the event, much like modern Ironman relays where one person runs, one swims, and one bikes, while the hurdles probably has jumping mechs and the ability to shoot at your opponents.

* To be honest, I think a relay would be more interesting with non-mechs included as well, but taking place on Luna this isn't possible. The relay might include aerospace fighters though.

Racing probably doesn't happen on Solaris. All the action takes place in (or very close to) Solaris City. The stadiums are small, rarely more than a few hundred meters on the sides so can't race there very effectively. Solaris is also a very wet world, with a lot of swampy ground surrounding Solaris City that is both ill-suited for running, and for encouraging the Solaris City citizens to come out to watch, and the city streets are too crowded and parks too small to really allow it (though perhaps one day a year they close the streets to have a mech marathon, but the S7 box set doesn't mention anything like this.) Noisiel probably has racing during its summer games season, since its more Terra-like with fewer and lighter rain showers during summer months, and wide open plains to support the racing and spectating. Racing probably takes place on a lot of other worlds (Antallos, Astrokazsy) too, but I think Solaris's heavy focus on the arena/gladitorial aspect pushes most other forms of mech entertainment offworld.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8552

Contact Admins Sarna.net