New game in development - BattletechOnline

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
CharlesShoults
08/19/06 01:17 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A new game is in production bringing the Classic Battletech game to the PC in a new way. Integrating The Drawing Board but also allowing for Mechwarrior character generation as well as vehicles and Elementals. A built-in chat system. Games are still turn-based and can last from a number of hours to days or weeks depending on how active players are. Any player that takes no action within 24 hours is assumed to have taken no action for that round so that gameplay can continue. There will be closed games where once a game begins, additional players are prevented from joining and open games where new players can join at any time.

After testing, the start of a game seems most interesting to have initial placement as combat drops where the landing hex and hex facing are randomized. Land in heavy trees? Make a piloting skill roll, but in actuality, the game system will take care of all rolls for you.

For more information, please visit http://battletechonline.cshoults.com or email webmaster@cshoults.com
JackGarrity
09/19/06 05:16 AM

I thoguht this game was cancelled for soem reason and instead the group making it went to something else.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
JackGarrity
09/19/06 05:18 AM

nm that was the battletech MMOPRG I heard about.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
CharlesShoults
09/25/06 01:42 AM

I started working on the game a couple months ago (July 2006) at a friends suggestion. Many of us don't really have enough time or live close enough together to sit down for a full game but we still wanted a way to play, so we started working on the game. I built a server that currently sits in my living room. The game itself is built in Visual Studio 2005 and is networked through a MySql server. The game will check for updates each time it's launched and includes an email and messenger system. Nearly all of the documentation from field manuals and tech readouts will be accessible from within the game menus. Many cues are being taken from `The Drawing Board`, although I'm correcting the bugs that I've found so far and will be building something similar for creating MechWarrior characters. Multiple matches can take place simultaneously and characters can be retained from game to game. We plan to have the ability to join / form factions, use salvage rules and be able to build or purchase BattleMechs and vehicles. We're also looking at the Combat Value system and figuring how best to integrate it into the game.

Right after I started working on it, I fould out that an online site already has Battetech Online, so my game will be called Battletech Live.

What I have done so far has been tested in Windows XP 32 and 64-bit versions. I'm looking to test it on 2000, ME and 98 systems and hope to eventually port it over to Linux.
JackGarrity
09/25/06 02:17 AM

amasing o.O I do hope to get a chance to try it out when its up and running. its been almost gah.. 5 years since ive had a actual mechwarrior game go on thats nto either over yahoo chat or involving say,one person.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
JackGarrity
09/25/06 02:20 AM

and... are you a Deviant? I think ive seen that image for your avatar on there.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
CharlesShoults
09/25/06 07:26 PM

I found the larger picture on Deviantart.com, but I'm not that person. Just scaled the image down.

As soon as I get the registration form built and rework the email system a little, people will be able to go online, download and install it. In that way, even if the game isn't fully functional, those who are interested can see progression in real-time. But, the game isn't expected to be ready for a number of months. We're still hashing over the rules and trying to figure out how to do automatic calculations for movement and firing.
JackGarrity
09/26/06 01:29 AM

ooh.. interesting *points* i posted a point based emch system on here for building that might work ^^ it makes designing at least easier. and yeah.. 2d6 into a format that works well on a computer , especailly with how diverse a system as betch is, is going to be interesting; though I do have a question, if you have the ablity to use the TDB setup; are there going to be more complete tables and functions in it? and will certain games have restrrictions, like back on the old netmech stuff, on tonnage, weapons, etc?
Greetings Mechwarrior.
CharlesShoults
09/26/06 08:59 PM

Some of that stuff is kind of up in the air at this point. As far as the Mech designer, I'm going to try to get it as complete as the books will allow, including support for things such as patchwork armor, Mech Mortars and mine rounds. Some of the items where rules are kind of gray, such as chainsaws and lifthoists will have special restrictions. I don't know if TBD allows you to put those on Mech's but it probably shouldn't. You'll be able to make Battlemechs, ground vehicles, vtols and fighters (eventually). For the first usable release it will probably be BattleMech's only and then I'll later bring online recovery and salvage.

Players will be able to create multiple characters with the condition that they can never have their characters on opposing sides of the same battle. No profiteering. When starting out, the character will look to be hired by someone, so contract systems and scenarios will be put into play. When hired, they will be randomly assigned a Mech somewhere in the 20 - 40 ton range and begin with a negative account balance. The employer will pay for any refits needed. The player will be able to salvage any Mech's for which they scored a kill and can take parts for refit and sell the rest. Whatever they earn will go toward paying off the debt to their employeer, at which point they will own their own Mech and can go out on their own.

Win more, salvage more, get more money and able to increase holdings. Players can join together in houses or clans and pool resources to improve the group.

Of couse a lot of this is quite a ways off still. I'm just now getting the messaging system and avatars in place.
JackGarrity
09/27/06 01:49 AM

sounds fun. ^^ and yeah.. Id like to know how to actually Put chainsaws on a battlemech, i mean it has to do Some damage when your that close it would seem. sounds like your off to a grand start, may the wisdom of the Coordinator assist you
Greetings Mechwarrior.
CharlesShoults
10/06/06 01:05 AM

I have a message thread here if anyone is interested in more informaiton:

http://www.cshoults.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=11521#11521

JackGarrity
10/10/06 01:26 AM

itneresting yes it is
Greetings Mechwarrior.
CharlesShoults
10/14/06 06:07 PM

The interface for the IM portion of the game is probably about half done but I'd like to gather some opinions on how it looks. The idea is to eventually have the option of switching between 4 or 5 available themes...

Of course the four buttons shown are not listing the final text for the buttons. Will be inbox, outbox, sent items and saved items.

Edited by CharlesShoults (10/14/06 06:09 PM)
NewPharoah
12/06/06 06:15 PM

I would advise not including programming in regards to that rule that "a jump must use the shortest path available" otherwise alot of people (including those doing the programming) could get confused. What rules do you plan to use?
Any rules I type should be considered unofficial unless stated otherwise by Precentor Martial Randall Bills and/or published Classic BattleTech products.
JackGarrity
12/08/06 03:21 AM

i like the look of the interface has a mech 'yard look to it. Perhaps could do one for each of the great houses, a color theme like a winamp skin or something.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
CharlesShoults
06/11/07 12:11 PM

It's nice when things explode, but not so nice when it's your development computer that does the exploding. Shortly after my last posting, the computer that I was using to develop Battletech Live suffered catastrophic failure. Since then, I've moved to a new state and started a new job and have gotten back into development again. I have a new development machine and a new server to house the documents.The following will give you some idea of what I've gotten completed up to this point.

http://charlesshoults.dyndns.org/
http://charlesshoults.dyndns.org/example.html

To answer NewPharoah's question about jumping, there is a great deal that is quite confusing about programming the entire project, but in the end, I'm the only one working on the project at the moment so I'm doing all of the programming. Movement is basically handled like this. When you enter the Movement Phase and it's your turn to move, you select the 'Mech which you intend to move. Your stats will appear to the side so that you know what you're capable of, but the game engine already knows how to deal with all of it. You'll be able to toggle whether you want to walk, run, or jump and the map will then shade the hexes you are capable of moving to, with end facing indicated. You can then click specifically on the hex you want and it will handle all of the calculations on it's own or if you want more control, or you can move one hex at a time and the map will adjust to reflect the amount of movement points you have left.

As this is a one-man operation, it takes a great deal of time. Recently, I've been working on scanning illustrations of 'Mechs from each of the Technical Readouts. So far, I've finished 2750 and 3025. After scanning images, I move on to entering the stats of each 'Mech into a MySql database. In the end, users will have access to about 400 standard 'Mechs and about 100 vehicles.

Another issue that I would like some suggestions for is the idea of a Marketplace. I have some ideas of my own, but I would appreciate some input from others about how a Marketplace might look or function.

In any case, this project is still very much alive and kicking.
Tripod
06/12/07 12:06 AM

is this just a simulation of the board game? or is there an ongoing theme to it. do you own anything, have money/credits?

if it is an ongoing thing, will it have the ability to play an outside game. as in pick any mech against any force, such as the table top game we all love is.

also do you have, or plan to implement AI/bots?
TBA
CharlesShoults
06/12/07 12:11 PM

AI is something that I've thought about for some time and something that I'll have to determine the practicality. The other things, I can answer now.

It does include a simulation of the board game, but there is a lot more going into it. There are basically two phases to it all: Offline and everything else.

Offline:
Most people know what "The Drawing Board" is and have seen other things like "The Vehicle Factory" and a number of others. Battletech Live will include a designer (Mech Lab) that will enable users to load and print any standard 'Mech design from 2750 - 3060. Basically, anything I can find in a book is going into the game. But, the game will also include the ability to create BattleArmor, infantry platoons, ground vehicles and some vehicles. (I'm including VTOLs but not fighters). Users can then create any other 'Mech configuration they want, using an existing chassis as a base, or create a new one and all will work fine as long as they save it out with a unique serial number.
Users will also be able to browse through a wealth of material taken from a number of the Field Manuals and Sourcebooks. The way most of that works is that the user will need to be connected to the Internet initially. When they choose to view a particular document, the engine will check a local folder to see if the text exists. If not, it goes to my server, copies the text and then creates a local document. The next time they look at the same page, it reads it locally instead of from the server. It will have a built-in flush so that when I release updates to the application, it makes fresh copies of documents.
Online:
Once everything is done and it's all up and running, registration will go active and be free. Registered users will be able to create up to 4 (?) characters using the creation content from MechWarrior 3rd Edition. There will be an economy system in play, players will be able to hire NPCs in the form of basically anything they can think of; individual MechWarriors, tank drivers, VTOL pilots, infantry Platoons, BattleArmor squads and such. The player will control the NPCs operations on the battlefield but outside of the battle. All they have to do is keep the NPC alive and outside the battlefield, keep them paid. A players reputation, charisma and social standing play a role in the NPCs opinion. They longer they go without being paid, the more disgruntled they become and if they fall below a certain point, they may quit employment and go back up for hire.
The actual battle sequences will work very similar to the standard board game except that double-blind rules will be built in and the majority of all rolls are handled automatically. All the player has to do is decide what to do and when. Before firing at a particular unit with a given weapon, the engine will show you what your % chance is and then you decide whether you want to try it or not. The game will plot your sensor range. If you have LOS to a unit, you can click on that unit to get information about them. If you don't have LOS but sensors detect a unit, they'll show up as a blip. If firing through trees, you'll have a chance of catching those trees on fire causing fire and smoke. If you crater a hex, the next time that battlefield is used by someone else, that hex will retain previous battle damage. Trees will regrow after time and if there are structures on the field that take damage, you might visit the battlefield later to see that those buildings are being repaired.
After the battle is over, the victor must hold the field during the period while they are performing salvage, whether that means performing salvage on the field or bringing in vehicles to haul units away. Other players may appear on the battlefield to try to steal kills.
I'm working on how to set up a marketplace. The purpose is to sell salvage that you don't need, buy new or upgrade items for refit, hire NPCs as well as buy / sell / trade equipment with other players. I'm not completely sure how matches for money will be handled. I'm going to have a staging area where players can start new battles, join battles in progress and such. I might make it so that any given battle is worth a certain amount of money based on the tonnage put into the battle, so that even though there may not be a contract or an employer, there is still some incentive to fight.

If anyone has comments or suggestions, they're very welcome as they help with the development process.
Tripod
06/12/07 11:07 PM

the holding the field bit while salvaging sounds neat.

to rephrase my original question, is there a way to connect directly with a friend and him pick/design any mech, and i do the same and play, just for kicks. or will all combat be "online" through your server, involving our characters' hard earned mechs with risk of loosing it all?

such as megamek, we can connect via ip and have a just for kicks battle, nothing gained or lost, win or loose.
TBA
CharlesShoults
06/13/07 01:23 AM

Oh, like an Instant Action kind of thing. Yeah. I can put something like that in there.
bingo
06/14/07 06:14 PM

do you ahve a beta version we can try?

also hwo do you go using the name "battletechonline" have you got some rights from the guys to use the name?
CharlesShoults
06/15/07 03:31 AM

I started to use the name BattletechOnline until I discovered that a website exists by that name. I then switched to Battletech Live. I registered a username at Battletech Online in hopes of getting in to see what it's like, but good luck with that. I've never been there at a time where it wasn't full.

I am posting updates to my application as I make them, but keep in mind that as of yet, the game doesn't actually "do" anything. It's not far enough along yet. My main focus has been working on structure and adding data to a MySql database.

If you want to try it, you can download the newest file here: http://charlesshoults.dyndns.org/setup/
bingo
06/15/07 07:40 AM

i think your a little bit behind in terms of development of a game like this lots of other competitors, still wish you the best of luck. look forward to another option to play.
CharlesShoults
06/16/07 03:29 AM

Yeah, the development process takes a long time. I work a full-time IT job and am on call 24/7, and I'm the only person working on this project. There is a lot more progress done than what you actually see in the application because most of it is going into a MySql database. Once the data is complete in the database and the methods are completed for accessing the data, the application will take a huge content jump.

Making some much needed changes to the interface. How does this look?

Edited by CharlesShoults (06/16/07 03:32 AM)
CharlesShoults
06/22/07 11:54 AM

Adventures in Tech Support.

In my professional life, I'm a Sr. Systems Administrator and do all sorts of nifty things with Mac- and Linux-based systems. We just built a redundant server system that serves as a load balancer, DNS, web and MySql server, costing us about $48,000 and housing around 3.5TB. My home system is much more modest and I'm quicky learning the limitations of off-the-shelf routers. If anyone out there knows how to easily resolve the following issue, please chime in...

I have 2 Wired and 2 Wireless systems behind a Linksys WRT54G V1 router. My ISP (Qwest) provides a dynamic IP, which is stored in the router, passing through a bridged DSL modem. The Linksys has a cool feature of being able to set it up with www.dyndns.org. It logs into my online account and passes my current IP address to dyndns so that when you go to http://charlesshoults.dyndns.org, it forwards you to my router. The router then recognizes requests coming from port 80 and forwards it to my home server, feeding web pages correctly. So far, so good. Everything works perfect as long as the user is outside my local network. The problems start when someone within my network tries to access pages, either using a browser or with the Battletech Live application.

If I log into my server itself, I can simply type http://localhost into the browser and it displays pages correctly. If I'm on another system, I can enter the IP address of the server (x.x.x.102) . All of that works as a usable browser workaround but the problem starts with the update server within Visual Studio. When you create an application, you can specify that upon launch, it should check a specific location for updated files, in which I specified http://charlesshoults.dyndns.org/setup. Works perfectly as long as the user is outside the local network, but if trying to perform the update within my network, it fails because the router can't resolve the address. I spent about 30 minutes online with Linksys support and they were unable to resolve the issue. I need a router in which you can specify URL redirects so that when someone on the LAN tries to access the specific website, the router knows that the page in question is local and therefore sends the request to the local server instead of sending the request out to the WAN side and out to the Internet.

Either that, or I get to find another grungy Dell and build my own linux-based router.
CharlesShoults
06/22/07 11:54 PM

I managed to resolve the issue by changing the hosts file on my windows machine, but that takes care of it on a machine-by-machine basis. It would be nice to have something more solid, but that will work for now.
CharlesShoults
06/24/07 12:52 AM

Designing a game is a constantly evolving process. You put together a section in a certain way and then move on to other things. Later in the development, you find that your earlier work doesn't quite look right, so you go back and make changes. As example of this, consider the screenshot shown here. The menus that I have, work. Not to say that they function, but they are organized in such a way that it should all make sense and flow nicely. However, some of the early buttons I designed were a little hard to read. Later buttons are a little more refined, compact and easy to read, so the old ones will have to be updated with the new styles.

Edited by CharlesShoults (06/24/07 12:53 AM)
CharlesShoults
06/28/07 12:31 PM

I began working with multi-threaded applications last night. I got rid of the icon that I borrowed from classicbattletech and replaced it with one from the MechCommander 2 source code and turned it into an icon in the system tray. We don't want everything within the game to be sequential. It slows down the application as a whole and makes you have to wait on a lot of things while performs updates and such. When the game loads, it opens the standard application window and the systray icon. If you click the close box in the corner of the main window, it closes that form but leaves the systray icon. Using that icon, you'll be able to bring up the main application window, access a configuration panel where you can select themes, resolution and a number of other options, access the email, forum and support sections, each running in a separate thread. I don't yet know if anything can be done to take advantage of multi-core processors, but I can enable support for 64-bit processors, although I don't know how much of a benefit they provide.

Current Worklog

The gray background for the application will be going away so the program will have no frame and be a non-rectangular shape. The current hurdles are maintaining shadows and adding a grip so that the application can still be repositioned on screen.

Edited by CharlesShoults (06/28/07 12:33 PM)
CharlesShoults
07/10/07 11:11 AM

I need some help with some initial evaluation of the project. Over the last couple days, I've spent a lot of time adding documentation for game rules. I'd like some people to look over what I have so far and provide notes for any corrections or comments. Anyone interested in looking at it is free to browse and comment on any part of it, but my primary focus is the "Universe" section, providing the current bulk of the documentation.

Keep in mind that the current release is 0.0.0.87 so it's far from a complete and functioning application.

http://charlesshoults.dyndns.org/setup/
See Directions file for details of how to install.

CharlesShoults
07/14/07 11:49 PM

Anyone know where I can find additional weapon illlustrations? I have scanned the pictures from Battletech Master Rules, for the ones that are listed, but the list is far from complete. I'd like to find additional images that I can sample from.

I have the following: Autocannons, Beagle Probe, CASE, Gauss Rifles, LRM Launchers, Machine Guns, NARC Beacons, SRM Launchers and Thunderbolt launchers.

I need representations of a Flamer, Long Tom, various lasers and PPCs and Mortars.

My completed graphics look something like the following:
CharlesShoults
08/10/08 06:52 PM

It has been a VERY long time since this subject has been talked about, but the game is back in development again. I moved from Oklahoma to Nebraska, have ditched Visual Studio and am doing my work in Flex Builder and eventually Adobe Air.

For those interested:
http://www.battletech-live.net
Prince_of_Darkness
08/10/08 09:09 PM

How are you liking Nebraska? The weather will be really nice for the next week or so.
CharlesShoults
08/11/08 09:55 AM

Weather is good. 50s in the morning, mid 80s and often showers in the afternoon. I have a lake outing on Wednesday. Hope I don't get struck by lightning.

The forum and registration script for Battletech Live is expected to be completed sometime this week.

Edited by CharlesShoults (08/11/08 10:00 AM)
Newtype
02/27/09 02:38 PM

Charles, are you licensed to do this programming?
http://www.gp.org
http://www.VoteSwift.org
DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newtype
03/21/09 06:02 PM

Also, Charles, you should probably team up with Rick Raisley; he wanted to do what you're planning.
http://www.gp.org
http://www.VoteSwift.org
DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SwordofLightwaiver
04/10/09 06:51 PM

Charles Shoults would you like to work for me designing a much more advanced version of Classic BattleTech? I'd like to purchase the intellectual property rights from Topps.
If 9/11 was part of God the system's plan then should the USA surrender to the terrorists or go to war against God? I say surrender.
adamwehn
04/13/09 09:48 PM

Give it up Chip.
GundamMerc
04/17/09 04:04 PM

are you able to send email updates, if so, email me at clanjadewolf@gmail.com
adamwehn
04/17/09 05:55 PM

Quote:

are you able to send email updates, if so, email me at clanjadewolf@gmail.com

Huh?
GundamMerc
04/21/09 09:30 AM

I want to know how the game is progressing without having to go to this topic each time.
Prince_of_Darkness
04/21/09 10:02 AM

Then go to their website.
adamwehn
04/21/09 12:22 PM

Quote:

I want to know how the game is progressing without having to go to this topic each time.

I have nothing to do with this project.
GundamMerc
04/22/09 09:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good, i wasnt talking to you.
CrayModerator
04/22/09 11:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You responded to Adam's post, so it looked like you did, Gundam.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
GundamMerc
04/24/09 09:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You responded to Adam's post, so it looked like you did, Gundam.

Meaning I wasnt talking to him until he responded to me, my post just happens to be under his.

I really hope we dont have to get into a Newtype-esque argument over this.
GundamMerc
04/24/09 09:41 AM

Quote:

Then go to their website.

Apparently it doesnt work on Internet Explorer, although i will try it on Firefox.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/24/09 01:34 PM

People really use Internet Exploder!?!
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
04/24/09 03:03 PM

Quote:

Meaning I wasnt talking to him until he responded to me, my post just happens to be under his.

Use the threaded view of these forums. It'll make your faux pas clearer.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
GundamMerc
04/24/09 03:40 PM

what do you mean by that? threaded view i mean, not the faux pas
GundamMerc
04/24/09 03:45 PM

Quote:

Just at my school, thank you. I would never keep it on my computer.

Edited by GundamMerc (04/24/09 03:49 PM)
Prince_of_Darkness
04/25/09 07:07 PM

Quote:

Ha!
Zandel_Corrin
04/26/09 07:48 PM

I do... when i want to glitch a flash game for lolz.... never seriously tho.... google crome all the way
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
GundamMerc
04/30/09 11:22 AM

the website doesnt have a scroll bar, on neither IE or firefox. could someone tell me if i need a specific program/extension/add-on to access the site fully?
Prince_of_Darkness
04/30/09 08:59 PM

Quote:

the website doesnt have a scroll bar, on neither IE or firefox. could someone tell me if i need a specific program/extension/add-on to access the site fully?

Do you have the latest updates?
GundamMerc
05/05/09 09:33 AM

to what? IE, or Firefox?
GundamMerc
05/26/09 03:32 PM

just keeping thread afloat
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 40588

Contact Admins Sarna.net