Best paints for Minis

Pages: 1
Firemane
02/24/03 06:59 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey folks,
I wanted to ask what people have found to be the best paints for minis lately. My old collection of Polly S and Model Master needs to be replaced soon. The most common brands I see are Tamiya, Citadel and Reaper. Lately, I have seen the Vallejo (?) paints in the tube- like the tube idea but it is $$$ier. Can anyone who's tried most of these offer their advice on what line works best for Mech figures overall? Thanks!
Cadet
02/24/03 10:51 PM

I always used PollyS, but I hear they no longer exist...
Does not play well with others.
Grizzly
02/25/03 09:25 AM

Polly S is great if you can find them. Only had one or two bottles of Tamiya, and they seemed good, but a little too shiny. Never used the Vallejo. Reaper is very good. Citadel isn't bad, but they tend to dry up quickly, and you don't get much in the little bottles. I haven't tried the model master either. I had a great collection of Polly S, Armoury, and Ral Partha, but they all dried out. So I have been trying to get a small collection and use it before it dries up. Good luck and good painting!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Karagin
02/25/03 01:59 PM

Most Acrylic paints work very well as do Testor Model paints...mainly flats.

I have found that outdoor house paint, latex, flat type work very well for the prime coat and allows you to have enough paint to do a horde or six of miniatures.

The only paint I have trouble with was Extore, though I think the age of the paint might have been the primary cause of the problem.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
realworldviews
02/26/03 12:09 AM

I use mostly Apple Barrel. And The less expensive brands that you can purchase from just about any craft store.
Usually around a buck per 2oz bottle.
I've never had any problems with them, in fact for me they are the best paints I have ever used. They don't dry out easily, they look good, lots and lots of colors, and their cheap.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
Karagin
02/26/03 12:21 AM

Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby both have some really cheap acryillic paints and they work really well also...I will get the name and post it first chance I get...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Sarge
11/06/03 07:02 AM

I use Appel Barrel paints. I get them from the craft section at my local Wal Mart store. I base coat with an enamal spray paint ( usually Testors) and then use Appel Barrel for the paint scheme. They have a wide range of shades, you get 2 oz for 70 to 80 cents, and they are water clean up. Looking at my mech collection the paints have proved durable and have not yet faded . I do use Dullcoat to seal the mini.

-Sarge
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7402

Contact Admins Sarna.net