Loc: New York
Login / Password Management & Dishonorable Player Tactics
#162396 - 10/29/11 03:16 AM (18.104.22.168)
To: All Neveron Players
From: Loserville (Newbie)
Subject: the Login Abuse 'tactic'
Neveron Staff does NOT normally monitor NMail. Please post your thoughts for Neveron Staff on the forums.
Login Abuse is when PlayerB uses a login to EmpireA, and performs malicious actions directly against EmpireA, and indirectly to the owner, PlayerA.
The logins used for the abuse can be either the PRIMARY or the SECONDARY. In all cases the username / password info ends up in the hands of a player that wants to cause harm to PlayerA or EmpireA.
As a player I NEVER used Login Abuse or Spying tactics. I do NOT condone their use. I consider their use dishonorable.
There is currently NO RULE against Login Abuse. Based on CURRENT RULES, there will NOT be any action taken against Login Abuse tactics, past or present.
Neveron has repeatedly stated that PLAYERS are responsible for the logins that have access to their empires. There will NOT be any compensation for victums of Login Abuse.
This is the only appropiate action that can be taken by Neveron Staff based on CURRENT RULES.
This is NOT to be taken as a message that cheating will go unpunished. Be very clear that I will punish cheaters.
While it is clear that this is an emotional issue for some players, we must still conduct ourselves in a respectable manner.
Player Conduct Rules will be enforced in NMail, Chat and Forums so please be mindful how you say whats on your mind.
I will post a more detailed statement about this on the forums, as well as a summary in updates.
I hope that we can now move past these emotional outbreaks and work on finding a solution for the future.
Please post any thoughts you have on the forums about how dishonorable tactics such as Login Abuse could be addressed in the future.
Thanks for your time
The above NMail was sent after a recent login abuse incident caused a major uproar in the Neveron Community.
The basic points that need to be covered here are simple.
Login / Password Management:
- The PRIMARY login is the sole proof of ownership to any empire. Should you grant access to your primary login, you grant access to rights of ownership. Should someone decide they want your empire more than your friendship, they can simply change the password, update the contact email info, and you are no longer the owner of that empire! BE SMART!! Do NOT give out your PRIMARY login to anyone, every, at all!!!
- The SECONDARY login is how a player grants access to their empires, so that a trusted player can help manage the empire, whether in day to day functions or in the times of attack. There are specific settings that need to be set to limit the amount of access that even a trusted player has in another persons empire.
In the future there will be better control options added to SECONDARY logins, as well as more accurate logs displaying what logins have performed exactly what transactions in an empire. These logs would be available for viewing by the PRIMARY login only, similar to how the PRIMARY can view the Transfer History page and see the LOGIN name that sent NCash out. Any suggestions that players have on how to improve this access controls, should be posted here on the forums for future review.
- Passwords: In the future there will be more stingent password polocies, including forced resets based on time or number of logins. There will be creation rules as well, meaning that you must have letters/numbers/special characters all in the passwords. Despite the best efforts of even the largest companies, if a hacker wants into a server bad enough, they will get in. Neveron is certainly not exempted from that logic. So be smart about your passwords, and do NOT use the same one that you use for everything else, including your bank and credit card online accounts!
Dishonorable Player Tactics: There are several tactics that come to mind:
- Login Abuse: as explained above
- Spying: creating false trusts to gain knowledge of an enemy empire intel
- Gang Bangs: as in multiple empires attacking a single target
- Fake Raids: Arranging any activity to boost your empire in any manner
- Empire Farming: Excessive empires used in pretty much any manner for gain
There are no clearly defined RULES set in place for most of these issues.
Be very sure that will change in the future. Things will either be hardcoded into the game, or it will be clearly outlined on the RULES page. This is a first warning to those that like to use such tactics. There will be a final warning in the updates as new policy goes into place. Extreme fines will be handed out for rule violations once those are updated.
Is it true? Do you really suck that bad??
Neveron Promo Code: online gaming rocks