[off topic, virtual property / justice] gamasutra article on "Virtual Justice"

Pages: 1
NeverSayNever
12/04/11 02:01 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I recently revisited gamasutra and stumbled upon the following:

"Virtual Justice", by Greg Lastowka, December 1, 2011:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6560/virtual_justice.php

Do you really 'own' that virtual Neveronian 'empire', or a specific virtual in game item (e.g. a Mech), for example?

Any legal / real life consequences to be feared if an unauthorized person messes around with your virtual empire / properties (e.g. via login misuse)?

Or at least any virtual / in game consequences (e.g. via game admin enforced justice / punishment) to be feared if an unauthorized person messes around with your virtual 'empire' / 'assets' / 'investment' / whatever (e.g. via login misuse)?

Or, what happens to accumulated virtual 'properties' / 'investments' (e.g. official trading cards / virtual 'loot' cards) if a game developer / publisher decides to permanently shut down a _persistant_ virtual world's servers/s, for example a MMORPG's like Star Wars Galaxies? Poof, all pixel fortunes gone ...

And which _persistant_ virtual game world could be next?

Just some food for thought ...

Have a nice day / night.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
12/04/11 11:03 PM

If you read the legal stuff to play MMORPG's you will see that you own nothing you are just paying for the privilege of playing the game. Everything with in the game belongs to the entity that owns the game that allows you to play it.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
12/21/11 02:05 PM

Folks seem to forget that part and get all bent out of shape when they find it out...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4805

Contact Admins Sarna.net