12th Atrean Dragoons
- Harmony Gold Resurrects Itself Once More And Regains Rights To Robotech License
- State Of Play: How MechWarrior And BattleTech Are Doing Post E3
- Catalyst Announces New Kickstarter To Bring Clan Invasion To New Box Sets
- Let’s Talk About The MechWarrior 2 Soundtrack
- Leak Suggests Microsoft Might Resurrect MechAssault At This Year’s E3
- Read more →
|Twelfth Atrean Dragoons|
|Unit Profile (as of 3079)|
|Nickname||The White Sabers|
12t White Sabers
|Parent Formation||Atrean Dragoons|
|Formed||Age of War|
A significant portion of the unit went rogue and formed Hansen's Roughriders after backing Anton Marik's failed revolt, but the 12th Atrean Dragoons were later reconstituted from a small group of loyal members who had not joined the rebellion.
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Regimental 'Mech Paint Scheme
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
The Twelfth Atrean Dragoons were originally a part of the armed forces of the Marik Commonwealth, with the brigade being founded during the early days of the Free Worlds League. The Atrean Dragoons would continue to serve as the provincial forces of the Marik Commonwealth until the League had expanded to the point that the forces of the Free Worlds Guards were insufficient to garrison the League's borders; when that point was reached, the League Parliament applied pressure to the Marik Commonwealth to loan a portion of the Dragoons to the League to for the purposes of federal defense.
Age of War
The relationship between the Atrean Dragoons and the Free Worlds League Military was formalized in 2528, when Captain-General Albert Marik made the loan permanent in response to the eruption of the Second Andurien War between the Free Worlds League and the Capellan Confederation. Albert Marik attached a single stipulation to the formal transfer; the Twelfth and the other regiments of the Dragoons were required to honor their roots in the Marik Commonwealth by continuing the tradition of recruiting graduates from the military academies on Atreus.
The Star League
While the Twelfth remained federal troops the entire brigade was loyal to the office of the Captain-General, allowing whichever member of House Marik was holding the office at the time to employ the Dragoons for his or her own purposes. These purposes - officially all undertaken in the interest of federal security, but often either of a federal or personal nature - included those that might have caused other federal units to hesitate, and with the increased tension between the Free Worlds League and the Star League following the Marik Civil War Captain-General Ewan Marik wasn't above using the Dragoons as a martial extension of his belligerent and antagonistic policies towards the Lyran Commonwealth. Ewan Marik's son, Captain-General Kenyon Marik, continued to use the Atrean Dragoons to make life difficult for Star League Defense Force garrisons in the Free Worlds League.
In 2961, while the Twelfth Atrean Dragoons were under the command of Major-General Gerhard Hansen, a Federated Suns line regiment under one Colonel Ludwig Hansen, a distant relative of Gerhardt Hansen, abandoned the Federated Suns and joined the Twelfth Atrean Dragoons.
Though the unit as a whole declared in favor of Duke Anton, several high ranking officers including battalion commanders did not. Despite being slightly understrength as a consequence, the Twelfth secured McKenna and Semenyih, but when the Twelfth attacked the Eleventh Atrean Dragoons on Matheran they were slow to take advantage of the Eleventh's inexperience. This led to a months-long game of cat and mouse between the two Atrean Dragoons regiments that stopped only when Smithson's Chinese Bandits arrived to reinforce the Eleventh. The Bandits inflicted serious damage on the 12th, forcing them to break off their attacks. In exchange, the Twelfth had reduced the Eleventh Atrean Dragoons to half-strength.
Shortly after Smithson's Chinese Bandits arrived, Anton Marik reassigned Wolf's Dragoons' Beta and Gamma regiments to reinforce the Twelfth Atrean Dragoons. The Twelfth, reinforced by Wolf's forces, smashed the Eleventh Atrean Dragoons. Smithson's Chinese Bandits withdrew from the conflict on Matheran and went to Carbonis.
(Unit CO Francis Ferdinand was last mentioned by name during the fighting on Matheran, and Gerhard Hansen is consistently named as the man who led the unit in the uprising and who would later reforge them into a mercenary unit. This seems to suggest Ferdinand was killed or wounded on Matheran, and succeeded by Hansen.)
Along with Beta and Gamma regiments and the Third Ducal Guard, the Twelfth Atrean Dragoons were assigned to Operation Condor, Anton's attack on Calloway VI which Janos Marik was using as a staging area for his push into the rebel areas. Anton was unaware that the world already held five 'Mech regiments. The Twelfth Atrean Dragoons' Union-class DropShip Laureles' Pride was lost, which cost them an entire company. The Twelfth Atrean and Ducal Guards suffered heavy losses in the fighting on the ground. Cut off from Wolf's Dragoons, they were eventually surrounded by the First and Second Oriente Hussars and forced to surrender in November 3014.
Following the failed revolt in which they had fought for the wrong side, the Twelfth Atrean Dragoons subsequently turned their backs on the Free Worlds League together with elements from the First Atrean Dragoons heavy regiment, a similarly frustrated loyalist unit that had been decimated on Sophie's World, and possibly other disenchanted Marik forces. Following a final battle on Illion V, an abandoned Free Worlds League planet in what was now Lyran Commonwealth space, they went into exile under the command of Gerhard Hansen, an influential Marik officer, and re-formed as the mercenary regiment Hansen's Roughriders. It remains unclear if they fought Marik or Steiner forces on Ilion V, or possibly among themselves. The fate of Colonel Francis Ferdinand is also unknown.
After the Marik Civil War ended, the Twelfth Atrean Dragoons were reconstituted by Janos Marik from those MechWarriors who had refused to side with the rebels. Julian Langsdorf was installed as regimental colonel for his personal loyalty to Janos Marik.
As of 3025, the Twelfth Atrean Dragoons were a fanatically loyal heavy 'Mech regiment, stationed on Vanra. By 3026 they were described as "an understrength regimental assault group" and assigned to garrison Thermopolis.
Fed with false information about the Legion's alleged misdeeds, Colonel Langsdorf occupied the planetary capital and starport, crushed the Gray Death Legion's local forces and overran their stronghold. In this, his unit had support from the 5th Marik Guards which were also under Langsdorf's command. The on-planet forces were described as "two depleted regiments" and "an understrength battalion". The on-planet 'Mech forces of the Twelfth appear to have been a single company, augmented by attached forces from the Fifth Marik Guards (Hammerstrike company, eleven light 'Mechs which were all destroyed during the Helm campaign) plus unspecified conventional forces.
At the height of the final battle against the entrenched Gray Death Legion on 1 April 3028, Langsdorf learned that the charges against his opponents were false, confirming a gut feeling he had had for some time. Langsdorf ordered his battered troops to withdraw. Consequentially, the Gray Death Legion was able to secure a copy of the Helm Memory Core.
In 3033 the Twelfth Atrean Dragoons faced off against the Fifth Defenders of Andurien on Scarborough. Both sides sustained heavy casualties, and the Twelfth was recalled to Vanra to rebuild. The damage they sustained kept them out of the rest of the Andurien Secession.
War of 3039
During Operation Guerrero the Twelfth attacked Marcus alongside the Fifth Marik Militia and the Seventh Free Worlds Legionnaires. The Twelfth FedCom RCT's 'Mech regiment attacked the Seventh Legionnaires to provide time for their supporting units to escape. The Twelfth Dragoons and Fifth Militia encircled the Twelfth FedCom's 'Mechs and destroyed them.
Prior to the Jihad, the Twelfth Atrean Dragoons were known for their loyalty to Alys Rousset-Marik. In fact, they served as the focus of much of the anti-Thomas Marik sentiment in the Free Worlds League.  After the Free Worlds League was disbanded, the Twelfth Dragoons were the second unit to pledge their loyalty to Alys Rousset-Marik.
During the Jihad, the Twelfth (along with the Seventh Donegal Guards, Devil's Brigade and Clan Hell's Horses Eleventh Mechanized Cavalry) attacked Hsien. While on that world they fought both the Word of Blake's Protectorate Militia units and the Fourth McCarron's Armored Cavalry and Fourth Tau Ceti Rangers. Later news reports indicated that the Coalition forces were defending themselves from a strike by the CCAF forces. The Coalition leader was able to defuse the situation and convince the Capellan troops to focus on the Word of Blake forces. 
Once the Twelfth reached Terra it served under Alys Rousset-Marik in the attack on Sandhurst. This task group consisted of the units involved in the Hsien assault, but the 11th Mechanized Cavalry was replaced by ComStar's Fifth Army. After a month of fighting, facing more than a dozen different Blakist formations, Sandhurst fell to the Coalition forces.
|Commanding Officers of the 12th Atrean Dragoons|
|Colonel||Kelian Brackey||3050 - 3081|
In 3059 the Twelfth Atrean Dragoons specialized in raiding enemy systems.
Twelfth Atrean Dragoons (Regiment/Regular/Fanatical)
2786 - 2821
12th Atrean Dragoons (Regiment/Regular/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Jardine. In 2821 the command was reduced to 47 of its strength and was deployed at Alula Borealis. 
12th Atrean Dragoons (Regiment/Regular/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the heavy-weight unit was stationed on Alula Borealis with an operational readiness of 104 percent. 
12th Atrean Dragoons (Regiment/Regular/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the heavy-weight unit was stationed on Alula Borealis with an operational readiness of 77 percent. 
Twelfth Atrean Dragoons (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Julian Langsdorf
12th Atrean Dragoons(Regiment\Green\Fanatical)
Twelfth Atrean Dragoons (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO/First Battalion: Colonel Kelian Brackey
- Second Battalion: Force Commander Joe Nisbet
- Third Battalion: Force Commander Christian Hampton
- The Twelfth is a heavy 'Mech regiment
- Wing Commander: Commodore Paal Lui
Second Marcus Heavy Armor (1 Regiment/Green/Reliable)
- Armor Commander: Force Commander Urie Va'e Iko
392nd Free Worlds League Infantry Brigade (2 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- Troop Commander: Lt. Colonel Eric Wertheim
Regimental 'Mech Paint Scheme
A Grand Titan in Regimental Paint Colours
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 9, "Atrean Dragoons"
- Field Manual: Mercenaries, p. 59
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 18
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 23
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 26
- MechWarrior (1st Ed.), p. 117
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 29
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 79
- BattleTech 2nd Ed. rulebook, Hansen's Roughrider infobox
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 90
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 108
- The Price of Glory, p. 56
- Gray Death Legion (scenario pack), p. 33 establishes the Gray Death Legion made landfall on Helm on or around 24 March 3028; Langsdorf was assigned to the mission less than two weeks earlier according to The Price of Glory, p. 56
- The Price of Glory, p. 68
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 65
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 147
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 14
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 75, "Invaders at Hsien"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, pp. 78-79
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 12
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 108
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 108, "FWL Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 56, "FWLM Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 52, "12th Atrean Dragoons Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 159
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 9, "Regimental Status"
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 138
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 98
- Historical: Brush Wars, p.86