182nd Division (ComStar)
- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|182nd Division IV-kappa|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Nickname||Standing Waves (3050)|
The Steel Cavalry (3062)
|Parent Formation||Eighth Army|
|Formed||Unknown (mid 3030's)|
Along with the rest of the Eighth Army, the Hundred and Eighty-Second was assigned to combat Clan Diamond Shark during the Battle of Tukayyid. Together with the 85th Division, the 182nd was deployed for the defense of Kozice Prime, one of the target cities assigned to Sharks. Meeting the approaching Clan advance on the foothills overlooking the city, the 19th Heavy Cluster of the Shark's Alpha Galaxy initially fared well against the Eighty-Fifth but the green division bought the Hundred and Eighty-Second enough time to outflank and stall Alpha's offensive, the combat degenerating into a brutal slugging match. 
As the Shark Khans focused almost their entire attention and effort on destroying the troublesome 85th Division, the Hundred and Eighty-Second, 82nd and 301st Divisions, aided by arrival of the Fifth Army, surrounded the Sharks' Alpha and Gamma Galaxies and cut them off from their supplies and landing zones, ensuring their defeat. 
Like many Com Guard Divisions, the 182nd chose a new nickname after that climactic battle, calling itself The Steel Cavalry, taking up station on then Lyran-held world of Castor as it recuperated.  After Castor was retaken by the Free Worlds League during Operation Guerrero, the 182nd transferred to Cavanaugh II, serving as the anchor for the defense of ComStar facilities along the Lyran border with the League and the Circinus Federation. 
While suffering the increasing distrust of ComStar in the newly formed Lyran Alliance, made worse by the promotion of Victor Steiner-Davion to the post of Precentor Martial, the Hundred and Eighty-Second suffered worse treatment than many of the other divisions in the Eighth Army due to Margrave Richard Steiner, commander of the Cavanaugh II Theater. Son of Nondi Steiner, Richard was formerly a member of the Blessed Order until resigning under mysterious circumstances in the 3030s and bore a heavy grudge against ComStar which manifested in bogging down any troop movements or supply shipments bound for the 182nd in excessive red tape. Though on poor terms with Margrave Steiner, the Hundred and Eighty-Second was able to establish a good rapport with the 10th Lyran Regulars, the garrison unit on Cavanaugh II.
The relationship between the 182nd and the Tenth Regulars was to prove problematic when the Federated Commonwealth Civil War burst into open fighting and the Tenth pledged their allegiance to Victor, leading the overconfident Margrave to call upon the 7th Lyran Regulars and the 1st Bolan Jaegers to destroy the mutinous unit. Watching his overeager efforts constantly thwarted, Steiner began to suspect spies in his midst and his distrust of the Order convinced him it had to be ROM. Accusing the Hundred and Eighty-Second of breaching their supposed neutrality, Steiner issued an order for them to withdraw which the Com Guard division refused. While never formally declaring to be pro-Victor, Steiner was so convinced the 182nd was aiding his foes that he ordered his troops to shell the Com Guard compound, leading the two Level III units on world to link up with the Tenth Regulars. 
The 182nd Division became the Allied forces' principal mobile unit, goading the relatively green 7th Regulars in a series of ill-considered attacks against fortified positions held by the Tenth, but having little success with such efforts against the Bolan Jaegers. After the Loyalist Penobscot CTM and Allied 42nd Avalon Hussars arrived on-world and blind mismanagement by Margrave Steiner resulted in the militia's destruction,  the Allied victory was a foregone conclusion as the Loyalist defense collapsed and Margrave Steiner fled. 
While suffering heavy damage, unlike other Com Guard Divisions who directly aided either side during the Civil War, the Hundred and Eighty-Second were cleared of any wrong doing on the basis of clear provocation on the part of Richard Steiner. 
182nd Division (Division/Regular)
- Note: At this point in time the 182nd Division was stationed on Loric.
182nd Division (Division/Regular) 
- Devil Dogs III-kappa - Demi-Precentor Dominique Ferrand
- The Dreadnoughts III-iota - Demi-Precentor Rifet Kozlica
- Dark Moon III-kappa - Demi-Precentor Albina Sharts
- Out of Time III-theta - Demi-Precentor Elmer Zobus
- Sacred Heart III-lambda - Demi-Precentor Jan Chramega
- Fluid Conflict III-mu - Demi-Precentor Linda Wu
- The insignia of the Hundred and Sixty-Seventh Division shows a horse made of riveted steel plates. 
- 20-Year Update, pg. 71 "8th V-omicron"
- Tukayyid, p. 69, "Campaign: Clan Diamond Shark"
- Invading Clans, p. 141, "Baptism of Fire"
- ComStar, p. 85, "8th Army V-pi"
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 35, "8th Army V-Pi: Stern Defiance"
- FedCom Civil War, p. 144, "Wave Five - Cavanaugh II"
- FedCom Civil War, p. 161-162, "Wave Six - Cavanaugh II"
- FedCom Civil War, p. 174-175, "Wave Seven - Cavanaugh II"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 86-87, "8th Army V-Pi (Stern Defiance)"
- 20-Year Update, p. 71
- 'ComStar (sourcebook), p. 85'