22nd Avalon Hussars
|Twenty-second Avalon Hussars|
|Unit Profile (as of 3085)|
|Nickname||The Strength of Tradition|
|Parent Formation||Avalon Hussars|
|Formed||Age of War|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
Originally formed during the Age of War, the Twenty-second Avalon Hussars was one of many Hussars regiments to be drawn down during the Star League era as a consequence of the Council Edict of 2650 which limited the size of the military each Great House was allowed to field. The Twenty-second was then reactivated in 2752 following the repeal of the edict and the subsequent wide-scale rearmament each Great House began. The Twenty-second were soon actively embroiled in the border war on the Capellan border, and were deployed on the invasion of Redfield in support of the Seventeenth Avalon Hussars. The Twenty-second performed well during the invasion, and in recognition of this the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns High Command authorised the expansion of the Twenty-second through the addition of a fourth battalion, which was equipped with salvaged or captured Capellan war materiel. While the expansion in size boosted the firepower of the Twenty-second conciderably, it also had the side effect of lowering the overall combat performance of the Twenty-second, which had still not returned to its original level by 2765.
Third Succession War
Fourth Succession War
War of 3039
Landing on Telos IV, the 22nd Avalon Hussars and the 12th Vegan Rangers Delta Regiment quickly overcame the DCMS defenders. Though they were supposed to be relieved by MPs and garrison troops, those forces were delayed. This forced the 22nd to become peacekeepers, a role they weren't suited for. The native population just snubbed the Federated Suns troops. The arrival of the 2nd Benjamin Regulars was the match that lit the fuse on Telos IV. Landing approximately 100 kilometers away from the main spaceport, the Hussars and Rangers were slowly drawn away from the capital in an attempt to destroy the 2nd Benjamin. Once they were far enough away, the 41st Dieron Regulars landed at the main spaceport. The 41st captured most of the Federated DropShips and supplies, but lost a third of their forces in the process. The 22nd Avalon Hussars broke contact with the 2nd Benjamin Regulars and focused their attention on the 41st Dieron Regulars. A series of frontal assaults saw the Avalon Hussars destroy the 41st Dieron Regulars, but they lost nearly half their troops in the process. Unable to make repairs or capture supplies, the 22nd Hussars and 12th Vegan Rangers withdrew from Telos IV.
During the Clan Invasion the 22nd Avalon Hussars defended the Lyran Commonwealth worlds along the Clan Jade Falcon invasion corridor. After the Truce of Tukayyid they continued to serve as a raiding force, stinging the Falcons and Clan Wolf forces in a series of raids. Though successful, they lost many men and machines during the six year tour on the Clan front.
The 22nd didn't participate in Operation Bulldog.
The 22nd Avalon Hussars didn't care for Katherine Steiner-Davion's politics, but as soldiers they were honor-bound to uphold the chain of command. The homeworld of the 22nd Avalon Hussars was Bromhead, a posting they shared with the 2nd Davion Guards. To prevent the two units from coming to blows, they both left the world. The 22nd Hussars landed on the Wernke moon of Talon, where they fought the 7th FedCom RCT. After losing two battalions of Mechs and 2 battalions of infantry, the 7th FedCom stopped attacking the 22nd's fortified positions. The 22nd was content to hold a defensive position for most of the time, only striking at the 7th long enough to allow shipments from Kallon Industries to escape the world. As soon as the ships were safely away, the 22nd immediately resumed a defensive stance. After learning of the attack on New Syrtis however, the 22nd went on the attack. By surrounding the 7th FedCom with several mixed battalions, the 22nd inflicted serious damage on the 7th FedCom and nearly captured the entire unit but the 7th was able to escape. The 22nd returned to their defensive positions, and shortly faced an unexpected combat drop by the 7th. The 7th, under orders to pin the 22nd on Talon, dropped directly on top of the 22nd's positions. This allowed the 7th to concentrate their fire on the dispersed Hussar units and inflict serious losses. This conflict saw the destruction of the 7th FedCom, but cost the 22nd Avalon Hussars more than 80% of their combat forces and at least 75% of their DropShips.
Though the 22nd wanted to rescue New Avalon from the Word of Blake siege, their commanders kept them in place to defend Crofton's factories. Shortly thereafter the Filtvelt Coalition formed, and the region suffered from a large number of pirate attacks. This was sufficient for the 22nd to vent their frustration and keep the unit in fighting trim. In 3076 the severely understrength 22nd Avalon Hussars, along with the FSS New Syrtis, were redeployed to New Syrtis. There they absorbed the remains of the 20th Avalon Hussars to rebuild themselves.
After spending time rebuilding on New Avalon, the Twenty-second was assigned to take part in Operation MATADOR. The Twenty-second landed on Perdidtion and assisted the 1st Davion Guards in forcing the Taurian Concordat forces offworld. The Twenty-second Avalon Hussars LCT was been authorized to maintain two battalions of BattleMechs, and its supporting forces were correspondingly larger. This meant that the Twenty-second could act as a pair of LCTs if necessary. After Operation MATADOR concluded, the Twenty-second remained as the garrison force on Perdition.
In the Victoria War the Twenty-second Avalon Hussars took Mitchel from the Capellan Confederation. They then redeployed to Victoria itself in December, engaging the 3rd Confederation Reserve Cavalry and destroying the CCAF unit's last battalion. The Third CDF inflicted heavy losses on the Hussars however.
As of 3062 the commanding officer was Marshal Donna Iona, who had been in command since 3054 and held in this time the rank of an Hauptmann General. She was later promoted and Admiral Solomon D'Angelo assumed command in 3067.
The 22nd Avalon Hussars lacked any tactical specialties. Instead the focused on being skilled in a variety of terrains and environments.
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars (Regular/Reliable)
- - The Twenty-second had four 'Mech battalions at this point, having expanded using captured CCAF war materiel. The Twenty-second was based on Narellan at this point in time.
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Marshal Timothy Ulso
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Hauptmann General Aileen Lugo
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars (2 Battalions) (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Hauptmann General Donna Iona
- CO: Marshal Donna Iona
- CO: Leftenant General Solomon D'Angelo
- 32nd Tactical Wing
- 192nd Air Wing
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Bruce Vachon
- Aide: Kommandant Adam Pearson
- 19th Crucis Heavy Infantry - Leftenant General: Jessica Schlaeger
- 42nd Recon Regiment - Leftenant General: Max Holm
- 411th Avalon Armor Regiment - Leftenant General: Kim Delalande
- 8th Altair Artillery Battalion - Kommandant: Timothy Cartwrigh
- - The Brigade has massive supply problems
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Keith Steel
- Aide: Kommandant Rae Bond
- 192nd Tamar Light Infantry - Leftenant General: Reynolds Duncan
- 3rd Avalon Armored Infantry - Leftenant General: Herbert J. Lang
- 42nd Tamar Rifles - Leftenant General: Seth Racine
- 23rd Avalon Jump Infantry - Leftenant General: Pru Lauber
- 214th New Avalon Mechanized Infantry - Leftenant General: Weiman Harper
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Admiral Solomon D'Angelo
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars Aerospace Brigade (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Commodore Saule Rosenburg
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars Armor Brigade (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Major General Bruce Vachon
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars Infantry Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Reynolds Duncan
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars LCT (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Major General Lance Zhen
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars Aerospace Brigade (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Leftenant General Zsiga Martinov
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars Armor Brigade (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Leftenant General Knut Raptis
Twenty-second Avalon Hussars Infantry Brigade (Elite/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Jody Batori
- Field Report 2765: AFFS, p. 8-9, "Avalon Hussars"
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 118
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 11
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 39
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 87
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 88
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 55, "22nd Avalon Hussars Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 55
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 82
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 96
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 128
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 142
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 157
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 158
- The Longest Road in The Corps, p. 204
- Field Manual: Update, p. 140, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 9
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 38
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 54
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 57
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 73, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3085"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 53
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 54
- ''House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 136 (pdf version), "Federated Suns Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 19, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 22, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 126
- Field Report 2765: AFFS, p. 10, "Avalon Hussars - Regimental Status"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 135
- 20 Year Update
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: Federated Suns
- Field Manual: Update
- Field Report 2765: AFFS
- Field Report: AFFS
- Historical: War of 3039
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Objective Raids
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- The Longest Road
- The Corps