198th Division (ComStar)
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- BattleTech Releases Teaser Video For New Expansion: Flashpoint
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games, "MechWarrior 3050"
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Posts Treasure Trove Of Original ‘Mech Design Docs
- Read more →
|198th Division IV-epsilon|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Nickname||Outer Limits Warriors (3050)|
Dinju Mountain Men (3062)
|Parent Formation||10th Army|
|Formed||Early thirty-first century|
Immediately prior to the Clan Invasion the regular ranked 198th Division, then a nu-based formation referred to by the nickname the Outer Limits Warriors, was assigned to the 9th Army and was headquartered on the Federated Commonwealth world of New Earth.
Battle of Tukayyid
During the Battle of Tukayyid as part of the 9th Army, the 198th Division faced the fearsome threat of Clan Wolf. Initially held in reserve, the 198th and 247th Division were hurriedly committed to try and bolster the Com Guards defensive line protecting the target city of Skupo. Despite superior numbers and good defensive positions, the unceasing assault ultimately wore away the ComStar defenders and the line shattered after the Wolves eliminated the troublesome 278th Division, savaging divisions like the 198th as they advanced on Skupo.
After ComStar Schism and Operation Bulldog
Like many Com Guard Divisions, the now-elite-rated 9th Division chose a new nickname after their efforts against Wolves on Tukayyid, calling itself Dinju Mountain Men. Rebuilt as a IV-epsilon based formation, the 198th division was transferred to the 10th Army to recoup the losses it suffered against the Wolves. The 198th made its headquarters on the Great X on the Lyran Alliance border with the Clan Jade Falcon Occupation Zone, its deployments falling within the Arc Royal Defense Cordon.
The 198th's elite standing earned them a place in the Com Guard contingent that took part in Operation Bulldog, traveling from the Draconis Combine capital of Luthien to the jointly Clan Smoke Jaguar and Clan Nova Cat held world of Avon. The unit remained in orbit with the Lyran 3rd Royal Guards as the DCMS's 4th Pesht Regulars defeated the Nova Cat's 1st Garrison Cluster  in Trials of Possession to claim both them and their enclave for the Star League.  
The 198th Division then joined these forces and the 11th Alshain Avengers to attack the 1st Jaguar Guards and Beta Galaxy's Command Trinary during Bulldog's second wave.  Faced with a sizable SLDF force and apparent collaboration against them by the Nova Cats, the Smoke Jaguars opted to withdraw to worlds deeper in their occupation zone rather than fight to the death. The 198th's most notable involvement during the fighting was defusing tensions between the Nova Cats and the 3rd Royals after the Lyran unit accidentally engaged Nova Cat 'Mechs after mistaking them for the Smoke Jaguars. The timely intervention of the 198th's CO prevented open combat between both units. 
FedCom Civil War
Returning to station on Great X, the 198th Division established an increasingly good rapport with Grand Duke Morgan Kell and the other forces within the Arc Royal Defense Cordon. This has soured relations between the division and the LAAF High Command, forcing the 198th to rely increasingly on the ARDC for supplies as Alliance bureaucracy delays ComStar shipments.
Another example of the good relations between the 198th and the ARDC were the exercises several Level III staged with ARDC troops, most notably units from the Clan Wolf (in Exile). While the 198th's CO Precentor Quillar feared his troops would resent working with the foe they faced on Tukayyid, both units quickly bonded based on respect for the other's martial prowess. The respect was such that the Wolves-in-Exile troops preferred to work with the 198th compared to other mercenary elements of the ARDC.
Taking up station on Babaeski when the FedCom Civil War erupted, the 198th saw action after Clan Jade Falcon launched their incursion, traveling forward to defend Mkuranga. Taking only minor losses  the 198th remained stationed on Mkuranga after the conclusion of the FedCom Civil War to guard against further Jade Falcon attacks. 
- 198th Division (Outer Limits Warriors IV-nu)
- 198th Division (Dinju Mountain Men IV-epsilon)
- 198th Division (Dinju Mountain Men IV-epsilon)
- Spirit of Fury III-delta - Demi-Precentor VI Christy Roames
- Icy Wind III-eta - Demi-Precentor IV Anne Smyth
- The Packmasters III-epsilon - Demi-Precentor IV Victoria Braund
- The Lion's Heart III-epsilon - Demi-Precentor VII David Edler
- Red Knights III-zeta - Demi-Precentor II Jerome Orf
- The Dinju Grenadiers III-gamma - Demi-Precentor X Andrzej Ptak
- 198th Division (Dinju Moutain Men IV-epsilon)
- The 198th's insignia shows a snow-capped mountain.
- 20-Year Update, pg. 71 "9th V-lambda"
- Tukayyid, p. 90 "Campaign: Clan Wolf"
- ComStar, p. 85, "10th Army V-nu (The Red Legion)"
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 39, "10th Army V-nu: The Red Legion"
- "The Dragon Roars, pp. 10-11, "Unit Summaries - Operation Bulldog"
- The Dragon Roars, p. 15 "Wave One: The Katana Falls"
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 120, "Xi Provisional Galaxy"
- "The Dragon Roars, p. 12, "Unit Summaries - Clan Smoke Jaguar Defense"
- The Dragon Roars, p. 24 "Wave Two: Driving Forward"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 98 - "3rd Royal Guards".
- "Jade Falcon Incursion Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 87, "10th Army V-Nu (The Red Legion)"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 98 "10th Army V-Nu - (The Red Legion)"