1st Division (ComStar)
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Animated MechWarrior Series Cancelled After Being Hit With Cease and Desist
- A Special New Year's Community Outreach - Nic from Sarna!
- Did You Know? - Scout ‘Mechs
- MWO World Championship Analysis with BanditB17 and mdmzero0
- Read more →
|1st Division Level IV|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
While formed in 2933, the 1st Division and the Militia as a whole first saw action in 2979 during the so-called Tripitz Affair, the Order's attempt to prevent the Taurian Concordat from recovering an ancient Black Lion-class battlecruiser, the SLS Tripitz, in orbit around New Vandenburg. The 1st Division were ordered to destroy the ship, painting their equipment stark white to prevent any link to the Order. Despite their lack of practical combat experience, the 1st's advanced Star League-era equipment allowed them to defeat the Taurian forces in under an hour with only three deaths, before obliterating the WarShip.  The 1st's success earned them new respect from the Order and Primus Yin Takami specifically, who authorized an expansion of the Militia's 'Mech element based on their actions. 
The 1st again saw combat in 3004 when they were ordered by then Primus Allen Rusenstein to exterminate the pirate band commanded by "Black" Jack McGirk, which had previously been supported by the Order as part of the so called Jolly Roger Affair but had since turned rogue. Tracking the pirates to the unmapped world of Trisha, the 1st fought against McGirk's band for the better part of three days. While the 1st successfully completed their mission, the greater combat experience of the pirates gave them a 2.3 to 1 kill ratio against the still relatively untested ComStar forces.  
Clan Invasion to FedCom Civil War
Prior to the initial Clan Invasion, the elite ranked 1st Division was known by the nickname of Strong Retaliation and assigned to the 6th Army. Then a IV-pi based formation, the 1st's headquarters world was Oriente in the Free Worlds League. 
As part of the Sixth Army, during the Battle of Tukayyid the 1st fought against Clans Steel Viper and Ghost Bear, most notably launching strikes on the Steel Vipers' supply lines. Expecting the defending second-line 2nd Fang Provisional Garrison Cluster to be easy prey, the 1st launched a three prong strike at the supply trains heading towards the beleaguered Alpha and Gamma Galaxies in Devil's Bath. While the 1st was victorious, the warriors of the 2nd Fang were worthy opponents and inflicted horrendous losses on the division. During this fight, the 2nd Fang discovered that a soldier in the First Division had genetic similarities to a Clan Wolverine warrior. The effective leadership of Precentor McGillaray during the battle led the 1st to adopt the nickname of McGillaray's Legion, one of the few times a Com Guard unit has been named for its commander. 
Unable to return to their original posting in the Free Worlds League after the ComStar Schism, the elite 1st remained with the Sixth Army and transferred its headquarters to Hall in the Federated Commonwealth.  With the Free Worlds League Military recapturing many nearby worlds during Operation Guerrero and with a growing pirate threat on the Combine-Periphery border, the now IV-xi based 1st's headquarters was moved to Rockland after Operation Bulldog. In 3061, Precentor McGillaray sent Legion Beta Level III into the Periphery to try and identify and neutralize these pirates, but contact with the unit was lost.  By 3067 the situation remained unchanged as continuous raids wore down the unit. Precentor McGillaray became convinced that the raiders' success against one of the Com Guard's most elite units indicated they were too well-trained and equipped to be pirates, but attempts to identify the House or Clan sponsoring them as well as the 1st's attempts at locating the pirate bases had been unsuccessful. 
With the original 1st Division apparently destroyed sometime in the early stages of the Blakist Jihad, after Precentor Martial Victor Steiner-Davion's reformation of the Com Guard from twelve to six Armies, the division was reformed prior to August 3076. Taking part in a raid against New Earth as part of Devin Stone's Coalition, the newly reformed 1st performed reasonably well given its youth against a Clan-tech equipped Level-III believed to be from the 39th Division, before the Coalition forces were pushed off-world. 
Along with the remaining Com Guards after the conclusion of Operation SCOUR, the First Division was disbanded as part of ComStar's obligations in signing the Republic Formation Treaty, its survivors either retiring or joining the newly formed Republic Armed Forces.
While the Com Guards were disbanded in the wake of the Jihad, in the peaceful decades after that conflict elements within ComStar would would revive its military, with the First Division the first Level IV reformed. Eager to prevent both the negative public reaction and Republic of the Sphere reprisals in response to a rearmed ComStar, the First would remain hidden similar to its history prior to the Fourth Succession War. Because of this the information available about the reborn First Division is exceedingly scant.
The First Division would eventually be publicly unveiled in the wake of Gray Monday when it was called upon to "rescue" Tucker Harwell, a HPG technician who had developed a method to restore the HPG on the Republic world of Wyatt in 3135. Succeeding in his mission and with the Republic, Oriente Protectorate and Clan Spirit Cat all vying to capture Tucker and the HPG, the First Division deployed to Wyatt to ensure Tucker's survival and return to ComStar hands. Arriving in-system via a Pirate Point, a white and black camouflaged spheroid DropShip of an entirely new design large enough to transport a complete Level II under the command of by Tucker's sister Patricia Harwell deployed a group of 'Mechs, among them one heavy and one medium also of brand-new design, to ensure the safe evacuation of Tucker and other ComStar personnel off-world.
Tucker Harwell and an undercover Knight of the Sphere, Alexi Holt, alerted the Republic to the presence of the reformed Com Guard unit. The First Com Guard were destroyed on Epsilon Eridani in 3141. The reformed First Division received equipment from the New Earth Trading Company. The First was destroyed by a combined task force of Stone's Revenants and the XIV Hastati Sentinels.
- Precentor Peter McGillaray was assigned command of the 1st in the first public unveiling of the Guards in the 3040's, continuing in this position during the terrible fighting on Tukayyid and beyond. The respect for their commanding officer and his skills is reflected in the unit's nickname.     
- Precentor McClellan commanded the reformed 1st Division during the Coalition raid against New Earth in 3076. 
The 1st Division have formed the basis of all Guards and the basic tactics they established went on to influence the organization as a whole. As the Guards have grown and expanded, the unit has continued to focus specifically on the anti-pirate and small unit actions that the pre-Schism Guards publicity machine pointed to as the organizations purpose.
- Legion Alpha III-nu: Demi-Precentor XII Kathy Issel
- Legion Beta III-mu - Suspected lost: Demi-Precentor XI John Lemein
- Legion Gamma III-xi: Demi-Precentor XV Amit Singh
- Legion Delta III-pi: Demi-Precentor IX Jesus Martinez
- Legion Epsilon III-omicron: Demi-Precentor XIV Kevin T. Stein
- Legion Zeta III-xi: Demi-Precentor X Gregory White
1st Division - Avenging Angels Level IV (Assumed). 
- Sword of Focht Level II (Assumed)
- The First Division's post-Clan Invasion insignia was a helmet of a Roman soldier resting atop a large marble pillar.  After its post Jihad rebirth, the First Division insignia was a winged angel holding a Word of Blake sword blade down. 
- ComStar, p. 46 "The Tripitz Affair"
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 13 "The Com Guards - Bait and Switch"
- ComStar, p. 49 "The Jolly Roger Affair"
- 20-Year Update, p. 70, "6th V-pi"
- Tukayyid, pp. 79, 83-84 "Clan Steel Viper - Cutting off Supplies (13)"
- Era Report: 3052, pp. 30-31 "Factions - ComStar - First Division (Strong Retaliation)"
- Bloodright (scenario pack), p. 6
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 31 "6th Army V-kappa: Grim Defiance"
- ComStar, p. 85, "6th Army V-Kappa (Grim Defiance, Procyon Theatre, from 6 to 7 on the "Inner Sphere Clock")"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 87, 98 "6th Army V-Kappa (Grim Defiance)"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, pp.82-83 "The New Earth Raid"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 176 "Republic of the Sphere - The RAF - Administrative Divisions - Department of Military Intelligence"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 84 "Factions - ComStar - First Division"
- Field Manual: 3145, pp. 22, 24
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 137
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 140