1st Federated Suns Lancers
- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|First Federated Suns Lancers RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3070)|
|Parent Formation||Federated Suns Lancers|
|First Federated Commonwealth RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Nickname||Guardians of a New Order|
|Parent Formation||Federated Commonwealth Corps|
The first unit raised under the banner of the Federated Commonwealth, the First FedCom saw action from the Fourth Succession War through to the conclusion of the FedCom Civil War and disbandment of the Federated Commonwealth Corps, with the intact unit renamed the First Federated Suns Lancers.
Formed in 3028 as the First Federated Commonwealth Corps or the First Federated-Commonwealth BattleMech Regiment by Prince Hanse Davion from Melissa Steiner's wedding gift of a regiment of BattleMechs, the First FedCom was the first recognizable sign of the future Federated Commonwealth. Prince Davion took the opportunity to assign recent graduates from the NAIS College of Military Science, Albion Military Academy, and the Nagelring and posted the unit in the Draconis March under the command of Marshal James Sandoval. A quarter of the graduates mustered into the First FedCom were from the Lyran Commonwealth, and the regiment was initially equipped with a mix of Enforcers, Griffins and Valkyries. As the first Federated Commonwealth unit to form, the unit logo for the First FedCom when it first took to the battlefield was a circle divided into two halves, composed from the left half of the Steiner mailed fist and the right half of the Davion sword and sun.
As the First FedCom was composed from a mix of green graduates and their military instructors from the various military academies, James was careful to ease his new regiment into combat slowly. The First FedCom was deployed to Klathandu IV in or around August 3029; Klathandu IV had been under siege by the Ninth Benjamin Regulars since November 3028, and hadn't been captured because of a combination of the well-equipped planetary militia, who had resisted the invaders fiercely, arrogance on the part of the Regulars who had anticipated an easy conquest, and the sacrifices of the Raman Draconis March Militia, who had been deployed to Klathandu IV in the first week of August in a desperate bid to stop the Regulars from conquering the planetary capital city, Klanthis. The AFFS High command was concerned that the conquest of Klathandu IV would allow the Regulars to move on to worlds deeper in the Federated Suns, and the Raman DMM had taken horrendous casualties trying to disrupt the siege of Klanthis long enough for further reinforcements to arrive.
James had the First FedCom initially assume rear-area responsibilities in areas that had been secured by the Raman DMM. This meant that the first few encounters with the Regulars went well for the First FedCom, and morale skyrocketed - until the First FedCom's First Battalion encountered the Regulars' Third Battalion in the light woods at Pheasant Run, where most of the FedCom's young MechWarriors were killed or injured. Despite the casualties inflicted on them during that battle, the First FedCom survived as a unit, and forced the DCMS to reign back on plans to invade Xhosa VII in favor of securing control of Klathandu IV.
War of 3039
After a few years the Regiment went from a unit of green cadets to a united, skilled unit. The Marik-Liao offensive of 3057 caught the unit on Gan Singh in the Sarna March by surprise and the First was forced to fall back to Nanking. The unit couldn't coordinate with elements of the Third Donegal Guards on Gan Singh. (Members of the First FedCom RCT and Third Donegal Guards who were left behind on Gan Singh would later join with a small unit of Capellan irregulars to form the Pandora's Box mercenary unit.) The First FedCom would send several raids into the Chaos March against Capellan worlds until supplies were cut short by High Command. In 3061 until 3062 two of the Regiment's 'Mech companies were listed as down for repairs, when the units reappeared on the rolls, they were re-equipped with new BattleMechs primarily General Motors designs, most likely taken when the unit “unofficially” took part in the liberation of Acamar and Genoa sponsored by GM and Johnston Industries. 
FedCom Civil war
Up until the FedCom Civil War began, the First FedCom made it policy not to take sides with either Katherine Steiner-Davion or Victor Steiner-Davion. But when the Civil War began the First FedCom was forced to stop the Nanking Sarna March Militia, under Leftenant General Fritz Tull, from seizing several important objectives across the planet, including Kallon Industries, the AFFC Command Center, and the capitol of Yang-Ku. The unit was able to push the SMM out of Yang-Ku and several other objectives the SMM tried to take. The First FedCom maintained pressure on the SMM but were forced to deal with several terrorist attacks against the RCT which helped relieve some of the stress the SMM was feeling. Finally the SMM made a successful breakout between the borders of the First FedCom and the Kestrel Grenadiers, and were pursued by the two RCTs. Finally the SMM was forced to fight in the Huai River Valley just twelve hours from the city of Qingjiang, the SMM’s objective. After a five-day battle the Nanking Sarna March Militia surrendered, though fighting still took place for six hours before some accepted the cease-fire. The First FedCom took no further part in the FedCom Civil War other than putting down several smaller revolts and dealing with Capellan sponsored terrorism. 
After the FedCom Civil War ended the unit was renamed the First Federated Suns Lancers after the Federated Commonwealth Corps was disbanded and began the process of rebuilding as an independent command. By 3067 the RCT was moved to Hadnall and in June 3068 would take part in Operation Sovereign Justice when the Lancers and the First Kittery Borderers attacked Gei-Fu and scattered the Third Capellan Defense Force during the First Wave. Only the 'Mech and Aerospace units participated in Sovereign Justice, with several free infantry and armor regiments supporting them; the Lancers' conventional regiments had remained behind on Nanking when the 'Mech and aerospace elements deployed on SOVEREIGN JUSTICE, and were still on Nanking when the Word of Blake hit the planet. The Lancers' conventional forces fought alongside the First Crucis Lancers as they attempted to defend the planet from the Blakists. Other sources identified that a four-regiment strong mercenary force hit Gei-Fu, with the Fourth and Twenty-first Illician Rangers as two of the four regiments, and indicate that Gei-Fu was hit during the second wave of Operation Sovereign Justice.
During the Second Wave in July 3068, the Lancers would move and secure Overton. During Wave Three and Wave Four the Lancers remained in place and were resupplied for a possible move against Capella. In October 3068, the Capellan Confederation counterattacked Overton and was able to push the First Lancers off the world, though it cost the Confederation both the Fifteenth Dracon and Warrior House Ijori. By July 3070 the First FedSuns Lancers were reported destroyed on St. Ives alongside the remnants of two other commands.
In 3077, the First Federated Suns Lancers had become part of the forces assigned to Devlin Stone's allied coalition, serving in Group III of the Lyran front, where it lost its Commanding Officer to a Word of Blake decapitation raid on Gacrux; the Blakists managed to kill the Commanding Officers of not just the Lancers, but also the Sixth Benjamin Regulars and the Thirty-first Marik Militia. As a result, the Lancers and the other commands within Group III found themselves under the overall command of Leutnant-General Thomas Hogarth.
The unit took part in the fighting on Wing but seemed unwilling or unable to aid much to the Sixth Benjamin in the fighting there against the Third Free Worlds Guards. In early 3078 the unit stood down on New Earth alongside the Skye Guards and the Seventeenth Arcturan Guards. On the 15th of August 3078 the First Federated Suns Lancers took part in the invasion of Terra under the overall command of General Belle Lee with the target Sydney. Upon landing the various units of Task Force Mallet came under intense fire with multiple units being spread over a 100km area. The various units involved were chewed up and didn't see an end to the fighting until January 5th, 3079 when the WoB surrendered at Towra Point.  The RCT was badly damaged in the brutal tunnel fighting at the Burragorang Castle Brian and later beneath Sydney.
In August of 3079, the First Federated Suns Lancers RCT was re-designated as an LCT specializing as a rapid response force, and transferred to Ozawa. By 3085 the Lancers were one of the most respected units within the AFFS, and also one of the most active; stationed within the region commonly known as the New Hessen thumb, the Lancers had been called on several times to deal with "pirates" operating along the border regions of the Republic of the Sphere, Federated Suns and Capellan Confederation. The quantity of equipment of Capellan origin used by these "pirates" the Lancers hunted was drawing attention from both New Avalon and Terra.
The first commanding officer of the regiment was Marshal James Sandoval. As of 3050 to 3054 the unit was commanded by Marshal Vonda DeGreer. After the unit's ejection from Gan Singh in 3057, she was replaced by Marshal Ally Swanson.
The First favored small unit tactics, and rarely operated in units larger than Battalion size. Through practice the units battalions could easily swap positions during combat making the unit seem tougher than it appears.
First Federated-Commonwealth BattleMech Regiment (Green)
First FedCom RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Marshal Vonda DeGreer
- CO: Leftenant General Dixon Zibler
- Aide: Kommandant Beau Gentry
- Leftenant General: Demos McCarron
First FedCom Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Regular/Unreliable)
- CO: Hauptmann General Simeon Petrovich
- Aide: Leftenant General LaSalle Shoshanna
- First FedCom Recon Regiment: Leftenant General Karen D'Erico
- First FedCom Heavy Armor: Kommandant Zurich Johann Metzler
- First FedCom Armored Cavalry: Leftenant General Billy O'Connell
First FedCom Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Hauptmann General Carmen Azzuria
- Aide: Kommandant Karl Yuan
- First FedCom Infantry Regiment: Leftenant General Grayson Applegarth
- Second FedCom Infantry Regiment: Leftenant General Skyler Pree
- First FedCom Mechanized Infantry: Leftenant General Burian Thi
- Second FedCom Mechanized Infantry: Kommandant Sandy Roland
- First FedCom Jump Infantry: Leftenant General Patrice Young
First Federated Suns Lancers RCT (Regiment/Elite/Reliable)
- CO: General Dixon Zibler
First Federated Suns Lancers Aerospace Brigade (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Major General Demos McCarron
First Federated Suns Lancers Armor Brigade (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Johann Meitzler
First Federated Suns Lancers Infantry Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Grayson Applegarth
First Federated Suns Lancers LCT (Elite/Fanatical)
- - At this point in time the First Federated Suns Lancers was a full-strength battalion, equipped almost completely with upgraded technology and based on Ozawa.
Though they lost too many troops to retain their RCT status, the First Lancers retained enough troops to compose a new Light Combat Team. Some replacements also arrived, leaving the First Federated Suns Lancers at full strength.
First Federated Suns Lancers LCT (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: General Dixon Zibler
First Federated Suns Lancers Aerospace Brigade (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Egbert Beresford
First Federated Suns Lancers Armor Brigade (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Leftenant General Jezebel Kennedy
First Federated Suns Lancers Infantry Brigade (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Leftenant General Quasim Mohamed
- Prior to the formation of the Federated Commonwealth Corps the unit insignia of the First FedCom was a circle divided into two halves, with the left half bearing one half of the Steiner mailed fist and the right half bearing the right half of the Davion sword and sun.
- Like other FedCom RCTs, the First primarily used the FedCom Corps crest as their insignia, as well an insignia of a dragon clutching at the sword, flanked by two lightning bolts. After being renamed to the 1st Federated Suns Lancers the unit severed all ties and demonstrate their loyalty to the Federated Suns, the First now only displays the Fed Suns Logo.
- The parade colors of the First, is the same as when it was the 1st FedCom Corps units, was navy blue with gold banding on the arms and legs of 'Mechs. Gold is also used to highlight panels on the upper torsos of 'Mechs and turrets of armor units, resulting in a checkerboard pattern. Some MechWarriors add gray highlights to symbolize their questionable place in the post-Civil War AFFS.
- BattleTech line developer Herbert A. Beas II stated on the CBT forums that at the end of the fighting against the Capellans, the First FedSuns Lancers had retreated--at 50% casualties--to Scituate. That was February of 3069. In April of 3069, the Word of Blake seized Scituate with forces from Kittery.
- The First Federated Suns Lancers make a reappearance in Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, either the unit was reformed between 3069 and 3077 or more likely members of the First FedSuns Lancers were freed from WoB prisoner of war camps and reformed the unit and joined Stone's Coalition under the Federated Suns Flag.
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 91, "1st Federated Suns Lancers Unit Profile"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 29, "Klathandu IV"
- A Race to the End, p. 6
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 94
- FedCom Civil War, pp. 25-27,64-65
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 8
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 73, "Illician Lancers"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, p. 106
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 27, "We Have Met The Enemy"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 64-65, "3077: War In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Field Manual: 3085", p. 56, "First Federated Suns Lancers LCT"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, p. 42
- 20 Year Update, p. 24, "AFFC Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 17, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Updates, pp. 137-138, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 70, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3085"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 136
- 20-Year Update
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: Federated Suns
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: AFFS
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Objective Raids
- A Race to the End
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine