- New MechWarrior 5 Trailer, Pre-Orders Online Now
- MechCommander Gold - Darkest Hours Gets 4.0 Release
- Update On Beginner Box Set And BattleTech: Game Of Armored Combat
- Sarna Wishes You All A Happy Holidays!
- Mech_Con Roundup Day 2 - Harebrained Show, Catalyst Announcements, And A New MWOWC Champion!
- Read more →
|The Grave Walkers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3079)|
|CO||Major Robert Prather|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Support
- 5 Dragoon Ratings
- 6 Unit Colors & Insignia
- 7 Composition History
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 Bibliography
While not as famed as units like the Eridani Light Horse, the Grave Walkers have a solid reputation which has lasted for centuries. Throughout their long and glorious career the Walkers have fought for and against every major House.
Fourth Succession War
The Lyran Commonwealth did not deploy the unit in their Fourth Succession War military operation Operation Gotterdammerung. However, they did transfer Walker's 2nd BattleMech regiment to Apollo to garrison that world from pirate attack.
During the Draconis Combine's counterattack into the Tamar Pact the First and Second Grave Walkers were routed to Tamar. There they faced the 13th Rasalhague Regulars. After some minor confusion, the Grave Walkers were able to counter the Regular's assault on the world. The Walkers offered the Regulars a chance to surrender, but the Kuritan unit fought until it was destroyed.
The War of 3039
The 1st Grave Walker Regiment was assigned by to Task Force (TF) Blizzard by the Commonwealth during the War of 3039 against the Draconis Combine. The mercenary units Snord's Irregulars and the 17th Recon Regiment (also known as the Camacho’s Caballeros) were part of the TF. TF Blizzard was assigned as one of the units to participate in the invasion of Vega with TF - composed of House units - in April of 3039. The Walkers & Caballeros first action was to take the Vegan spaceport of Nasew. After securing Nasew, they moved to counter any Kurita units attempting retake Nasew. Kurita's 5th Amphigean Light Assault Group launched probing attacks which were repelled. Although turned back by the defenders, the 5th Amphigean's 3rd Battalion proved to be a worthy opponent. The Walker's allies, Snord's Irregulars, utilized a LosTech stockpile of Arrow IV artillery missiles to flush out the 5th and make them quit the planet.
While these events were taking place, the 14th Legion of Vega had been held up at Vega's capital city of Neuascon. The House 3rd Lyran & 3rd Davion Guards had been laying siege to the Vegan regiment’s positions. After forcing the 5th Amphigean to abandon the planet, The Grave Walkers and the rest of TF Blizzard were redeployed to reinforce the units besieging Neuascon. Their arrival forced the 14th Legion's commander to abandon the planet to FedCom forces by June 21st.
In mid-July the 14th Legion of Vega and 2nd Dieron Regulars returned to the planet. Assassins had injured the invasion force commander, General Nondi Steiner, placing command of the entire Vegan campaign in the hands of old-school officer Hauptmann-General Kathleen Heany. Her out-of-date tactics were no match for 2nd Dieron's commander who utilized Theodore Kurita's new theories on combat operations. The 2nd Dieron had nearly penetrated Neuascon when the Grave Walkers arrived to reinforce the Lyran defenders. Heany's poor command and disastrous decision making led to the Grave Walkers abandoning Vega in early August. Hauptmann-General Heany attempted to lay blame on the Grave Walkers and the Irregulars for the failure of the operation, but the mercenaries were exonerated by the MRBC for any wrong doing.
- (Note: The source—General Caradoc Trevena's treatise on the War of 3039 that is the Historical: War of 3039 sourcebook—says the MRBC exonerated them. It should be noted though that the MRBC only came into being in 3052; its predecessor organisation was ComStar's Mercenary Review Board, or MRB. Either Trevena mixed up the MRBC with the earlier MRB, or alternatively it was really the MRBC that exonerated the unit more than twelve years after the fact.)
Clan Invasion of 3050
During the opening of the Clan Invasion, the Walkers faced their darkest hour.
First Regiment's Battle for Bone-Norman
In March 3050, the 1st Regiment of the Grave Walkers, under the command of Colonel Dennis Merwin, received satellite reports of Clan Jade Falcons' dropships approaching the planet in small numbers. Seeing this as sign of weakness, had his forces in attack the Falcons as they hot-dropped onto Bone-Norman's Red Stone Palace. The Walkers were able to beat back the initial attack, however shortly after this, reinforcements arrived and the battle turned against the Grave Walkers.
Second Regiment's Battle for Apollo
The Grave Walker's 2nd Regiment was lost in May during fighting against the Jade Falcons' Turkina Keshik & Gamma Galaxy on Apollo. The 2nd Regiment held out as long it could, making use of the planet's ancient fortifications to aid the defense, until they were forced to surrender.
Aftermath of Clan Invasion
Reduced to a battalion from a former command of over 2 regiments plus supporting elements, the invasion left the mercenary unit shattered. The Walkers began to rebuild to regimental strength with battlefield salvage and the integration of new members during the 3050s, but their demons from the past came back to haunt them.
Jade Falcon Incursion of 3064
In 3064 they faced off against the Jade Falcons again, and history repeated itself. After being severely mauled on Kooken's Pleasure Pit. The unit faced Khan Marthe Pryde with her Turkina Keshik & 3rd Falcon Swoop Cluster. In an hour of fighting, the unit lost an entire Battalion of forces. Colonel Kirah managed win a personal trial of possesion for the right to invoke hegira, withdrawing from the planet. The managed to withdraw to Babaeski where the command was reduced to a mere shadow of its former self.
While the roots of the unit were lost during the Clan Invasion and the Jade Falcon Incursion into Lyran space, the Grave Walkers are once again in the process of rebuilding their command.
The unit was reduced to several BattleMechs in a reinforced lance which included two Clan BattleMechs. Its vehicle support unit known as the Grave Walkers Minelayers, now consisting of only Jeeps and Flatbed trucks with LRM launchers used to disperse minefields.
Insurrection and Resurrection
The unit reputation had suffered since the Falcon Incursion, its commander Lt. Colonel Tevdt had become drunkard due to his nervous breakdowns. In 3068, was the last straw for Walker's members when Tevdt signed a raid contract with Blackstone BattleMechs Limited to raid Falcons' capital world of Sudeten. The unit rebelled and removed Tevdt from command and brought its only ranking officer left into command, now Captain Robert Prather of the Grave Walker Minelayers.
At urging of his men, Prather petitioned Lt. Colonel Daniel Allard of the Kell Hounds to allow his unit to disband and join the ranks of Hounds. However, Allard refused on grounds there were others units on a waiting join the Hounds. Instead he offered the retainer contract to him, to augment Arc-Royal defenses, which Prather accepted.
In 3069, events of the Jihad had changed things on Arc-Royal. The Falcons newest incursion, had claimed Allard's life. This left Lt. Colonel Akira Brahe, whom found he needed to increase speed of training and recruitment among his forces. So, he offered Grave Walkers a new deal; Become a training cadre for incoming mercenary recruits for hounds, the Walkers would get retain number of recruits while the Hounds took on the best. This deal was acceptable to Walker, however older members of the unit did not like the idea of being simply a training unit. The unit expanded during this time into two Combined-Arms Battalions, which highly successful in its role. Unfortunately, many of veterans recruits who joined Walkers had been suffering from post-traumatic stress. Though unstable in combat, the new members were too experienced to dispense with in their new role as trainers. Success of Walkers in their new role, lead to the unit being employed by House Steiner to train LAAF recruits by 3071.
Having survived the Jihad, it was reported by intelligence services working for the Republic of the Sphere that the Grave Walkers had been discussing forming a part of the Kell Hounds in 3079. This was considered somewhat remarkable, given that the Grave Walkers and the Kell Hounds were mustering approximately the same troop strength as each other at this point.
As of 3025, the unit was commanded by Colonel Dennis Merwin. His brother, Lt. Colonel Jason Merwin commended the unit's Second Regiment. Until Colonel's death at the Clans's hands in 3050. Jason handed command over to Major Ahruu Kirah.
Colonel Ahruu Kirah - The heavy losses have taken their toll on the commanding officer of the Grave Walkers. Having suffered several nervous breakdowns, the Walker XO, Lt. Colonel Tevdt, has begun to drink heavily. Walker then after Colonel Kirah's death took over the command by 3065.
As of 3068, command of the Grave Walkers was turned over to Lt. Robert Prather, who was last ranking officer remaining in unit at the time. He become Major by 3071 when the unit expanded into two Battalions.
The use of Thunder LRM munitions to slow down their opponent and concentrated fire has served the Walkers well in the past and they continue to practice these tactics.
The Grave Walker's support assets are get shorter with the time through loan to other units (their soldiers and techs are on stand-by in most cases).
Dragoon Rating: C
Unit Colors & Insignia
The Grave Walkers use forest green with sea green highlights to paint elements. The unit's insignia is a skull on a tombstone.
Grave Walkers (2 regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- Contract:LCAF 
- CO: Colonel Dennis Merwin
- Note - In 3025, bolstered large quantity of Heavy Class BattleMechs, Combat Vehicle & Infantry Support forces supplimentally Regiments with DropShip support transport all units. The Walkers were in good financial shape with Regular experience for its troops. By 3050, these troops had become veterans by the time Clans Invaded.
The Grave Walkers (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Jason Merwin 
- The Grave Walkers (BattleMech Regiment)
- CO: Colonel Ahruu Kirah
The Grave Walkers (1 Reinforced Lance/Veteran/Questionable)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Goran Tevdt
- Only 7 'Mechs are operational after clashing with the Falcons.
Grave Walker Minelayers (1 Company/Green/Questionable)
- CO: Lieutenant Rob Prather
- This unit is compromised entirely of refitted non-combat vehicles.
- CO: Major Robert Prather
No detail information of the make up/Composition of a Combined-Arms Battalions has been listed in the Supplement Update.
|“||Ever notice that every textbook you can probably name uses war to gauge historical progress? Even the maps have started to date themselves by the most recent fighting. That’s saying something right there.||”|
|— Lieutenant Lance T. Vedten|
The name Lance T. Vedten may be a homage or reference to Øystein Tvedten, a BattleTech Line Developer and source for some or all of the maps produced for BattleTech under the Catalyst Game Labs and Topps labels.
The unit has C grade equipment rating, its Force Specific Rules abilities are; They can deploy minefield of any type on the map prior to start of a game if they are the defender and if scenario allows mines. The player commanding the Walkers may not deploy no more than two mine field per each Walker unit on the field. Maximum number of mines allowed on the field is 16.
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 45 - Unit did not partipate in war, but 2nd Regiment was transferred to Apollo.
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 67
- Historical: War of 3039 pp. 32, 77-78 - Vega - The Grave Walker's 1st Regiments exploits during the War of 3039.
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook p. 27 - Second Wave: Falcon Strikes - 2nd Grave Walker's plight against the Falcons'.
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), pp. 115-116 - Falcon Incursion - Jade Falcons take Kooken's Pleasure Pit from Lyrans.
- Mercenaries Supplemental p. 32 - Unit history and situation in 3067.
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update p. 57 - Grave Walkers' early years in the Jihad, in its new role as training unit on Arc-Royal.
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 18, "Irregular Forces"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth),p.120
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 140
- Objective Raids, p. 23
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 45, "Third Succession War (2866-3025)"
- Mercenaries Supplemental - FORCE-SPECIFIC RULES - Grave Walkers scenario abilities, skills and equipment rating.
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 32 - "Unit Profile"
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 57 - Unit Profile
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Report: LAAF
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Objective Raids