1st Liao Dragoons
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|1st Liao Dragoons|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Parent Formation||Liao Cháng-Chéng, Periphery Guard, Tikonov Reserves|
- 1 Description
- 2 History
- 3 Officers
- 4 Tactics
- 5 Unit Emblem
- 6 Composition History
- 7 Notes
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
Formerly known as Kincade's Rangers and Renshield's Dragoons.
Several Brigades were restructured after the Capellan Crusades of 3111 revealed weaknesses in the CCAF. A new naming convention was introduced that made the First Liao Dragoons the official name of the regiment. Their unofficial name is Paget's Dragoons.
Originally a part of the Tikonov Reserves and then the Periphery Guard, Renshield's Dragoons were reassigned to the Liao Cháng-Chéng in 3061 when the new Liao Commonality was established. They would later be reassigned again in 3085 to the reorganized Sarna Commonality following the loss of Liao to the ROTS.
In 2985, Joshua Kincade defected from the Federated Suns to the Capellan Confederation due to a rank and pay dispute. He was eagerly accepted by the CCAF and his regiment, Kincade's Tribulation, was renamed Kincade's Rangers, and assigned to the Tikonov Reserves.
Third Succession War
The Rangers were the primary raiding force on the Federated Suns world of Aosia in 2987. During this action the Rangers were used as a long-range raiding force destroying vast numbers of crops and munitions stores while other CCAF units engaged the defending AFFS forces. The Rangers captured three Corsair fighters from a rear area supply depot. These Corsairs were the first the CCAF had ever taken intact.
Fourth Succession War
On 11 September 3030, the Duchy of Andurien seceded from the Free Worlds League. Known as the Andurien Crisis, Andurien then allied itself with the Magistracy of Canopus and invaded the Capellan Confederation two days later.
-3030-3031 - On the 19th of September, the Magistracy Armed Forces Taskforce Duo arrived in the Repulse system to start their realm's invasion. Taskforce Duo was comprised of the Second Canopian Light Horse, Second Canopian Cuirassiers, and the Second Canopian Fusiliers. Massively outnumbering their enemy, the Canopians were shocked when the supposedly depleted Rangers destroyed several 2nd Light Horse lances upon their landing at the cost of the attacking Ranger company's destruction/surrender. Easily taking the planet's cities, the MAF invaders could not draw their enemy into an open engagement. Instead, Kincade's Rangers resorted to hit and run attacks, bombings, sniper attacks and poisonings. Those few times when the Rangers were intercepted resulted in high casualties for the Canopians and the Capellans' escape. These sapped Canopian morale and increased brutality to the civilian population, further alienating the invaders. This remained the status quo until 3031 when the attacks increased significantly. They died down again during the harsh winter season of July. They would not restart as Kincade's Rangers evacuated the planet at this point. With no significant resistance left, Repulse formally became part of the Magistracy on 6 August 3031.
-3032 - On the 2nd of March, the Ranger-Da Dai Chi Taskforce launched a surprise assault on Drozan. The planet's defenders consisted of the recently arrived Taskforce Duo and the garrisoning Caesar’s Cohorts. Taskforce Duo was in the middle of a refit and ill-prepared for the ferocious attack. All three Taskforce Duo regiments panicked and fled their bases in the face of the Capellan assault. Caesar’s Cohorts held the capital and withstood several attacks. However, the Canopian mercenaries saw the writing on the wall and the Cohorts evacuated. They were soon followed by Taskforce Duo who left behind most of their equipment and supplies. Thus a far smaller Capellan force retook Drozan and the CCAF counterattack had begun.
-3033 - In May, Kincade's Rangers arrived on Repulse and hit Drummond’s Destroyers hard. Despite initial losses, the Destroyers reacted well and held the Rangers back. Soon news of the arrival of the Death Commandos and, later, Warrior House Dai Da Chi broke the Canopian spine. The Destroyers fled and by the end of June the planet was Confederation once more.
-3034 - Ishara's Grenadiers and Kincade's Rangers attack Drummond’s Destroyers and Jenkin’s Armored Cavalry on Renown. With the planet of little strategic value and already badly shaken from the previous battles, both Magistracy Armed Forces regiments fled without firing a shot.
Xin Sheng Campaign
At some point prior to 3062, Kincade's Rangers were renamed Renshield's Dragoons. This name chage may have been due to their redesignation as a heavy regiment.
Renshield's Dragoons and Warrior House Dai Da Chi captured the critical logistics base Tantara in 3062, three months after the fall of St. Ives during the Xin Sheng Campaign. The temporary loss of the planet prompted the start of peace talks that ultimately led to the surrender of the St. Ives Compact. After the conflict in 3063 the Dragoons were stationed on Tsinghai.
FedCom Civil War
While patrolling Styk, Gan Singh and Liao, the regiment's aerospace wing was invited to join Hell's Black Aces in escorting Wolf's Dragoons dropships to and from the besieged planet of Tikonov. During the operation, an AFFS aerospace fighter collided with Renshield’s Airborne Wing Commander, killing her instantly. The unit XO, Kong-sao-shao Xia Caul, took immediate command and ordered her wing to attack. Two squadrons of besieging Davions were destroyed before the Black Aces could calm the situation. By 3067 the Dragoons had taken station on St. Andre.
On 25 June 3068, Duke George Hasek of the Capellan March independently launched an invasion of the Capellan Confederation. It was called Operation SOVEREIGN JUSTICE and the CCAF counterattack was called Operation THUNDERSTRIKE. It would end in formal ceasefire in April, 3070.
-June, 3068 - Wave One of the AFFS assault saw the First Cunningham Commandos and Sixth Syrtis Fusiliers invade Hustaing where Renshield's Dragoons were garrisoned. After a month of fierce resistance, the Dragoons withdrew with little damage.
-August, 3068 - Renshield's Dragoons fell back to Hexare only to find the Fourth Illician Rangers already there by a day. Heavy fighting inflicted significant damage to both units but neither could dislodge the other.
-October, 3068 - Operation: Thunderstrike began. Warrior House Imarra reinforced the Dragoons and the 6th Syrtis Fusiliers reinforced the Rangers, breaking the stalemate on Hexare. The Dragoons were at the forefront of the fighting, destroying the Illician's Command Company and counter-charging the Fusiliers. With the 4th Illician Rangers shattered and the overall strategic situation turning sour, both AFFS regiments retreated off-world. Such victory came at high cost for the Dragoons as just over 25% of the unit are left.
-3085 - Paget's Dragoons were stationed on Phact. Though still not fully rebuilt, they were moved forward to cover the retreat of other CCAF forces involved in Operation: GOLDEN FORTRESS and Operation: VINDOLANDA. The military disaster cost the Capellan Confederation many worlds including Liao and would force a reorganization that would reassign the Dragoons to the new Sarna Commonality.
-3086 onwards - The enraged Paget's Dragoons and other Liao Cháng-Chéng regiments have raided ROTS worlds constantly year after year. These actions have made the regiment experts at cross-border raiding.
On 13 October 3111, the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces began the first wave of Operation DIVINE RIGHT. It's objective was the reclamation of all planets lost to the Republic of the Sphere since the Jihad. This operation and the subsequent RAF counterattack would be dubbed the Capellan Crusades and would only end on 2 June 3113.
-January, 3112 - The Dragoons engaged the Fifth Triarii Protectors and the Republic Special Scouts on Styk. Initially successful, Paget's Dragoons were forced to abandon their siege of Tao MechWorks industriplex when Stone’s Liberators arrived in February. The arrival of Warrior House Tsang Xiao soon afterwards and the Fifth Confederation Reserve Cavalry in April only gave a temporary advantage as a daring Liberator raid nearly crippled the Dragoons. All three CCAF regiments were about evacuate when Stone's Liberators mysteriously abandoned the planet. Suddenly severely outnumbered, the 5th Triarii were destroyed within three days and the planet taken.
Sometime afterwards, the First Liao Dragoons would become the official name of the regiment.
-3144 - The 1st Liao Dragoons raided Valexa as part of Operation CELESTIAL REWARD. The regiment drove a wedge between the defenders and pinned the Valexa CMM in place while hammering the Fourth Ceti Hussars. The twelve-hour battle may have destroyed the Hussars completely if not for the Dragoons' focus in keeping Sang-shao Shashi H. Paget alive. As it was, the AFFS RCT took over 60% casualties.
- 3063 - The Dragoons frequently tackle multiple assignments at once, dividing their forces into specialized units. The three 'Mech battalions are supported by a flight of AeroSpace Fighters and attack primary targets while the first and fourth battalions of the armor regiment strike secondary targets. The other two battalions from the armor regiment reinforce the other commands as needed.
- 3045 - Decades of raiding the Republic of the Sphere have made the regiment experts at cross-border raiding.
A gold scorpion set against a green triangle. The does not use camouflage paint schemes, preferring dark green with red highlights.
- CO: Colonel Joshua Kincade
- 1st Battalion: Major Chandrahar Samatar
- 2nd Battalion: Major Alana Ballantine
- CO: Colonel Laura Sedgwick
- 1st Battalion (Regular/Reliable)
- 2nd Battalion (Regular/Reliable)
- CO/1st Battalion: Sang-shao Victor Renshild
- 2nd Battalion: Zhong-shao Pavlov Bagroutinni
- 3rd Battalion: Zhong-shao Thomas Bard
- XO/Wing Commander: Kong-zhong-shao: Yuri Pedrova
- 2nd Flight: Kong-sao-shao Xia Caul
Renshield's Augmented Cavalry (1 Reinforced Regiment/Regular/Reliable)
- Armor Commander: Zhong-shao Taylor Sung
- Made up of Augmented Lance formations
Renshield's Dragoons (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Sang-shao Victor Renshield
Renshield's Airborne (Wing/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Xia Caul
Renshield's Augmented Cavlary (4 Battalions/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Franklin Greene
By 3079 the Dragoons had rebuilt, but were still sixty percent below their pre-Jihad strength.
Paget's Dragoons (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Sang-shao Shashi H. Paget
Paget's Airborne (Wing/Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Yuk Yi Yip
Paget's Augmented Cavalry (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Sang-shao Alastair Heskett
1st Liao Dragoons (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Shashi H. Paget
Paget's Airborne (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Kong-sao-shao Titus Blumhardt
Paget's Augmented Cavalry (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Zhong-shao Ricky Brader
Sang-shao Shashi H. Paget is still the commanding officer by 3145.
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 41, "Liao Cháng-Chéng - 3145"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 27, "General Review"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 87, "Kincade's Rangers Unit Profile"
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 54, "Repulse (September-Ongoing)"
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 80, "Renshield's Dragoons Unit Profile"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 106
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 103
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 88
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 51
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 61
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 63
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 65
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 66
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 25
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 33
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 17, "OPERATION: SOVEREIGN JUSTICE"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, p. 24, "Confederation Strikes Back"
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 73, "Illician Lancers"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 30
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 13
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 34, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 81, "Operation DIVINE RIGHT and Operation MAGNUS"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 86, "CAPELLAN CRUSADES DEPLOYMENT TABLES"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 77, "UNLEASHING THE DOGS OF WAR"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 79, "DIVINE RIGHT WAVE TWO"
- 20 Year Update, p. 62, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 41, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Update, p. 33, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 45, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3145"