1st Lyran Regulars
- The Art of War – An Interview with Matthew Plog, BattleTech Artist
- Original BattleTech Pods In Grand Rapids Michigan Moving To New Dedicated Site
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- BattleTech Releases Teaser Video For New Expansion: Flashpoint
- Read more →
|1st Lyran Regulars|
|Unit Profile (as of 3025)|
|Nickname||The Officer Regiment (2765)|
The Boomers (3025)
|Parent Formation||Lyran Regulars|
Star League Era
The regiments of the Lyran Regulars were prone to being disbanded and reactivated as needed; each time a regiment was reactivated, it would be populated with a mix of re-enlisted veterans and fresh recruits, before being assigned to a garrison posting to free up a line regiment for active service. During peacetime, the Regulars would then disband down to a much smaller size as a brigade, awaiting the next time they would be called on. During the closing decades of the Star League era the 1st carried the nickname "The Officer Regiment", a consequence of the number of personnel assigned to the regiment as a result of being under-performing leaders that the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces felt might be capable of filling secondary officer positions within line regiments during a crisis. Critics of the 1st pointed out that appointing officers who weren't underachievers to command positions within the unit might result in the production of some better officers now, rather than inferior officers in the future.
The 1st Lyran Regulars were subsequently reformed during the Succession Wars from a mercenary unit known as "The Boomers". The members of this unit entered House Steiner's permanent service in exchange for fiefdoms and titles. 
Fourth Succession War
In 3026, the 1st Lyran Regulars were one of many Lyran regiments reorganized by Archon Katrina Steiner into Regimental Combat Teams, based on the successful model used by the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns. 
When the Fourth Succession War broke out in 3028, the 1st Lyran Regulars were part of the largest invasion by the Lyran Commonwealth against the Draconis Combine in over a century. Joining the 3rd Lyran Regulars, the 4th Donegal Guards and 40 conventional regiments in an assault on Harvest. They were opposed by the 5th Amphigean Light Assault Group and the mercenary regiment Hannibal's Hermits, as well as 20 conventional regiments. Using the AFFS' "Lightning Company" tactics, the 1st Lyrans won a stunning victory against the 5th Amphigean at the Battle for Dangalobee Fields, creating havoc in the enemy's rear.  The DCMS troops were soon forced to withdraw, leaving Harvest for the Lyrans.
The 1st later took part in a successful attack on Verthandi, taking that world as well.  In May 3029 the 1st was deployed to The Edge to reinforce the Donegal Guards, who had been in the process of conquering the planet when the 25th Rasalhague Regulars had counter-attacked and left the Guards stalemated close to Bono, the planetary capital city. The 1st dropped north-west of Bono and began advancing on the city, quickly clashing with the planetary militia. The militia responded with booby traps and suicide charges that caused a breakdown in cooperation between the BattleMech and conventional elements of the 1st, but which were insufficient to stop the 1st from pushing forward through superior numbers. By mid-July, the 1st had reached the outskirts of Bono, giving the 10th an opportunity to make their own attack. Coordinating their attacks, the two Lyran RCTs pressed forward, with the 10th crossing the minefields and defensive positions the 25th had prepared during the lull even as the 1st broke through the defensive fortifications ahead of them before moving into Bono's industrial park.
With a dominating victory in sight, the 1st Lyran Regulars 'Mech forces slipped, changing course to chase down a 'Mech company from the 25th and leaving the 2nd Vulcan Mechanized Infantry Regiment exposed. The 25th capitalized on that error, throwing forces at the 2nd Vulcan and using the opportunity to break for their DropShips. Even as the 25th abandoned The Edge, a botched recognition sign between the Lyran regiments on the ground led to a blue-on-blue incident that cost them a 'Mech and twenty dead infantry, but the Commonwealth had secured The Edge.
War of 3039
Later that year, when the Clan Invasion struck the Federated Commonwealth, the 1st had moved to Ridderkerk, and were one of the few AFFC units in position to blunt the opening thrusts. Clan Wolf's 328th Assault Cluster landed on Ridderkerk in July 3050. Unfortunately for the Boomers, their commanding officer, Hauptmann-General Jane Craigie was in a coma as a result of a traffic accident, and the unit's second-in-command was unable to effectively mobilize the defenders. Lacking even the coordination and leadership to retreat offworld, the 1st Lyrans were entirely destroyed in less than a day of fighting. 
|Commanding Officers of the 9th Lyran Regulars|
|Ostola Stellwar||3025 |
|Ostola Stellwar||on Ridderkerk.|
Under Archon Katrina Steiner's reforms, the 1st Lyran Regulars not only implemented the combined-arms approach taken by all RCTs, they also employed "Lightning Companies"; lighter, swifter 'Mechs that could take advantage of weaknesses in an enemy's formation, inflicting serious damage behind his lines. 
1st Lyran Regulars (Veteran/Fanatical) 
1st Lyran Regulars RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance states that Tellam Stellwar, who later commanded the entire Lyran Regulars brigade, lost his father when the 1st was destroyed on Ridderkerk.  This implies a relation to Ostola Stellwar, even though the elder Stellwar was not the First's commander of note at the time.
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 15, "Lyran Regulars"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 77, "Regimental Nicknames"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth) p. 118, Unit Deployment Table - 3025
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1 p. 42, Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces in 3028
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1 p. 46, Harvest
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1 p. 44, Operation Götterdämmerung
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 68-69, "The Edge"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 137, Deployment Table
- 20 Year Update p. 26, Deployment Table - 3050"
- Wolf Clan Sourcebook p. 61, Ridderkerk
- ClanTroops, p. 34
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance p. 85, Commanding Officer