1st Victoria Rangers
- Harmony Gold Resurrects Itself Once More And Regains Rights To Robotech License
- State Of Play: How MechWarrior And BattleTech Are Doing Post E3
- Catalyst Announces New Kickstarter To Bring Clan Invasion To New Box Sets
- Let’s Talk About The MechWarrior 2 Soundtrack
- Leak Suggests Microsoft Might Resurrect MechAssault At This Year’s E3
- Read more →
|1st Victoria Rangers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||Kingston's Legionnaires, Kingston's Rangers|
|Parent Formation||Victoria Rangers|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Alternate Emblems
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
A relative newcomer to the Chesterton Reserves, the original Kingston's Legionnaires were formed during the Third Succession War from the remnants of two poor performing regiments, the 6th Capellan Reserve Cavalry and Shadrack's Shadowhawks, taken out of active service after a failed attack on the Federated Suns world of Bristol in 2915.
They were renamed Kingston's Rangers or Kingston's Victoria Commonality Rangers following their reassignment to the Victoria Commonality Rangers brigade in 3062. 1st Victoria Rangers is their current name following reorganization after the Capellan Crusades. They were previously a high-spirited unit known for sometimes questionable tactics.
The regiment is traditionally medium weight and, as of 3145, a second-line unit for the Victoria Commonality.
Third Succession War
The unit's first major action occurred in 2952 when the Legionnaires' Cheetahs, backed by Thunderbirds and Eagles from assorted reserve regiments, fended off incursions against Ingersoll by the Marik Guard.
The Legionnaires' next major assignment almost led to their destruction, tangling with the 42nd Avalon Hussars during the siege of Fletcher in 2985. Greatly outnumbered and suffering poor communication, the Hussars Marauders proved deadly, with over 60 percent of the Legionnaires destroyed before reinforcements could extract the survivors.
Fourth Succession War
Heligoland was targeted in the sixth wave of AFFS's Fourth Succession War invasion of the Capellan Confederation, with the Legionnaires facing the 6th Crucis Lancers RCT. Instead of attacking the Lancers' drop zones, the Legionnaires chose to hold the superior defensive positions in the hills around planet's capital city Helio. Recognizing the tough combat required extract to the Legionnaires from their dug-in positions, the Lancers instead captured the sole water reservoir for Helio and cut the supply. The Legionnaires lasted two weeks in the sweltering heat before realizing they could wait no longer, charging down from the hills directly into the teeth of the Lancers.
As the Legionnaires losses mounted, the unit's CO Colonel Mathias requested an audience with the commander of the Lancers Marshal Orval Gossiage, offering to evacuate all Capellan forces off worlds in return for safe treatment of the planet's citizenry and transport for the Legionnaries and their families to the Capellan world of Minnacora. Despite the potential danger, the Marshal agreed to the terms. .
With the conclusion of the Fourth Succession War, the Legionnaires were one of just two units of the once mighty Chesterton Reserves to survive and remained on Minnacora, now a frontline world on the border with the Federated Commonwealth.
War of 3039
The Kingston's Legionnaires were assigned in late 3039 to reinforce the embattled remains of the 15th Dracon against the 2nd FedCom RCT retaliatory attack on Ares. The arrival of the Legionnaires finally dislodged the 2nd and prompted them to withdraw off-world, but not before the FedCom unit had succeeded in their mission and comprehensively crippled the Bergan Industries, Quikscell Company and Earthwerks Limited factories on Ares in revenge for McCarron's Armored Cavalry's raids against the Federated Commonwealth during the War of 3039. 
In 3057, Kingston's Legionnaires were part of Operation GUERRERO. A single battalion of Legionnaires captured Sakhalin from the Federated Commonwealth. Nearby Sarna was also under invasion but it's garrison defeated the attacking CCAF units. Instead of upholding FedCom rule, Sarna declared independence and called itself the reborn Sarna Supremacy. The Sarna Supremacy then sent it's garrison, the Kaifeng SMM, to recapture Kaifeng from the Confederation. The other garrisons, Grim Determination and Tooth of Ymir mercenary regiments, were sent to Sakhalin where they easily overwhelmed the Legionnaires.
Compared to the fanatical and elite units contributed by the other states, many were surprised when the Capellan Confederation sent the Legionnaires as their contribution to Task Force Serpent, the reborn Star League's assault on the Clan Smoke Jaguar homeworld of Huntress in 3059. Publicly the reason stated was that with CCAF's elite forces tied up with stabilizing the so-called Chaos March and Operation Bulldog they couldn't afford to send anyone else, while many saw it as representing Chancellor Sun-Tzu Liao's low expectation of the mission's success. 
During the initial assault on Huntress in 3060, the Legionnaires were assigned with the 1st Knights of the Inner Sphere to capture a cadet training base near the city of New Andery. Both units discovered the bases were defended by a new form of military unit, the ProtoMech, and suffered heavy damage, requiring reinforcement by the 2nd Com Guard Division to carry the day. The Legionnaires suffered nearly 70 percent losses in this first battle. 
In preparation for the Smoke Jaguar's counter-invasion, along with the 4th Drakons and 11th Lyran Guards, the remains of the Legionnaires were transferred to the Lunar Range on the continent of Abysmal to act as reinforcement for the larger northern and southern armies. With losses mounting, the Legionnaires were assigned to bolster General Winston's northern army facing brutal combat in the Jaguar Fang mountains until the arrival of Victor Steiner-Davion's relief force. 
Much of the CCAF were surprised both at the successful completion of Serpent and the Legionnaires' return, a battered battalion's worth of survivors bringing with them Clan-tech OmniMechs making their way back to Liao space. 
Xin Sheng Campaign
When the Victoria Commonality was split from the Sian Commonality, the CCAF assigned the remains of the Chesterton Reserves to form the Victoria Commonality Rangers, with the Legionnaires being renamed the Kingston's Rangers.
As the FedCom Civil War raged, the Rangers were posted on Yuris as a precaution against Duke George Hasek fomented AFFS aggression, which eventually burst into minor conflict on Frazer. By 3067 the unit was posted on Zanzibar.
On 25 June 3068, Duke George Hasek of the Capellan March launched an assault against the Capellan Confederation called Operation SOVEREIGN JUSTICE. By October, numerous planets had fallen with the invaders appearing to use Warships in an orbital strike against the Forbidden City on Sian itself.
On 8 October 3068, the CCAF counterattacked with Operation THUNDERSTRIKE. The primary force behind this offensive were three Task Forces each consisting of two to three regiments. Of these, Task Force Vengeance consisted of the 1st McCarron's Armored Cavalry, the Prefectorate Guard and Kingston's Victoria Commonality Rangers. Moving rimward from Menke, Victoria and Zanzibar respectively, TF Vengeance attacked the worlds of Frazer, Mendham, Glentworth, Wrentham, and Robstart in the Third Wave of the Operation in January-February of 3069. Wave Four (May-June 3069) saw combat on Mandaree and the concentration of all three regiments on Ridgebrook which fell in August after heavy fighting. Finally, September-December of 3069 saw Wave Five on New Syrtis with all three Task Forces fighting the six AFFS regiments gathered there—the Sixth Syrtis Fusiliers, New Syrtis CMM, Third Ceti Hussars, Fourth Donegal Guards, Vanguard Legion and Borodin's Vindicators. The fighting would continue until January 3070 when Chancellor Sun Tzu Liao called for a ceasefire. However, the ceasefire was one-sided and the Capellans had to fight while withdrawing. Hostilities only truly ended when Duke Hasek was assassinated in March of 3070.
The Republic Era
On 7 September 3103, AFFS units under the command of Duchess Amanda Hasek launched an invasion of the Capellan Confederation. Later dubbed the Victoria War, it's objectives were to capture Victoria and enough planets to bridge it back to the Federated Suns.
Kingston's VCR was still posted in the domed capital city of Barns on Victoria when Duchess Amanda Hasek's forces assaulted the planet on 12 September 3103. While other units attacked other installations, capture of Barns was assigned to the 3rd Federated Suns Lancers. After combat dropping a battalion to cut power to the city's HPG, the rest of the Lancers landed to be immediately attacked by the Victoria Militia. After defeating the Militia hours later, the weary 3rd FedSuns Lancers were then hit by a surprise attack from Kingston's Rangers. After some initial success, Kingston's VCR was pushed back and withdrew inside the city. The Rangers regiment would then use hit and run attacks while awaiting reinforcements.
The reinforcements came on September 20 in the form of Sung's Rangers and the already decimated Yuris Home Guard. After absorbing the Home Guard, Sung's VCR took to the hills surrounding Barns after failing to join her sister regiment inside the city. A stalemate then ensued for the next few weeks.
The Fifth McCarron’s Armored Cavalry arrived on the 20th of October and prepared to attack the Earthwerks factory outside the city of O’Hanlon. In support of this, both Rangers regiments were ordered to attack the besieging 3rd FedSuns Lancers. However, poor coordination allowed the Lancers to fight each Rangers regiment separately resulting in huge casualties to Sung's Rangers. The 3rd Federated Suns Lancers lost over two-thirds of their regiment as well and withdrew the next day to the Shengli Arms factory in Pictish. The Siege of Barns was thus lifted and counted as a win for the Capellans. The Fifth McCarron’s Armored Cavalry later arrived after brutal combat destroyed the Earthwerks factory, adding another regiment to Barns' defense.
Warrior House Kamata arrived on November 6 to replace the leaving Fifth McCarron’s Armored Cavalry. On the 15th of November, the newly arrived Syrtis Avengers and Third Ceti Hussars began their assault on the city. Despite the support of House Kamata and now operating a combined force of just under a regiment, Kingston's and Sung's VCR broke against the fresh Davion units. The city of Barns finally fell as its former defenders fled into the wilderness. The 15th of December saw the battered Victoria Commonality regiments inflict significant damage on the surprised Sixth Syrtis Fusiliers to break through and rendezvous with the just arrived Fifth Capellan Defense Force who then evacuated them off-planet to Quimberton. Their battle for Victoria was over.
After regrouping on Quimberton, the understrength Kingston's Rangers traveled to Zanzibar to reinforce the First Canopian Fusiliers and Second Canopian Cuirassiers. Their arrival on 15 March 3104 made the already outnumbered Sirdar CMM's position impossible, forcing the CMM to retreat six weeks later.
Kingston's Victoria Commonality Rangers suffered 75% losses in the Victoria War.
Nursing plans for revenge ever since the brigade's embarrassing loss of their commonality capital, the Kingston and Sung Rangers were posted to Confederation's Periphery border by the Strategios to help mask the significant expansion of the re-named Victoria Rangers.
On 11 November 3144, the First Victoria Rangers took part in Operation CELESTIAL REWARD. All five Victoria Rangers regiments were assigned to liberate Victoria. Sang-shao Elena Kingston ensured her troops were the first CCAF regiment to hit the surface of the old commonality capital by having Kingston's Air Rangers focus on opening holes in a series of geodesic domes over the one of the world's major industrial regions. With a clear path into the world's inhabited cavern network, the First Rangers combat dropped directly into Victoria's extensive underground tunnels. Though they suffered heavy losses in the brutal short-range fighting, the Davion forces never recovered from the the shocking appearance of Capellan troops within their rear. The AFFS garrison retreated soon afterwards.
As part of a deal struck when the Legionnaires still belonged to the Chesterton Reservers, the Kingston family is entitled to hereditary command positions in the unit, though regimental and even battalion command are still determined based on skill by the CCAF. Part of this bargain also insures that the unit only retains the Kingston name as long as one member of the Kingston line serves in the unit. The Kingston family also presents a new 'Mech to the commanding officer, whether they are related or not every year.
|Commanding Officers of the 1st Victoria Rangers|
|Colonel||Martha "Big Mama" Mathias||3025|
|Colonel||Samuel Kingston||3050 - 3060|
|Sang-shao||Willow Green||3063 - 3067|
- Colonel Samuel Kingston had previously served under Colonel Mathias as commander of the 1st Battalion. Kingston led the Legionnaires during Task Force Serpent and was killed during the last desperate days of fighting. He was reaffirmed as Sang-shao in the new CCAF, awarded the Cluster of Conspicuous Heroism and buried with full honors. 
- Sang-shao Willow Green defied the stereotype of the elite MechWarrior. The shy and soft-spoken exterior hided a ruthless strength.
The harder an enemy beats on the Rangers, the harder they fight back. While this stand and deliver style leads to heavy losses, the Rangers seem willing to pay this cost rather than allow an enemy to strike with impunity. 
- CO: Colonel Martha "Big Mama" Mathias
Kingston's Legionnaires (2 Battalions/Regular/Reliable)
Kingston's Legionnaires (Regiment/Regular/Reliable)
Kingston’s Legionnaires (Regiment/Regular/Reliable) 
Kingston's Legionnaires (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Samuel Kingston
Kingston's Victoria Commonality Rangers (2 Battalion's/Regular/Reliable)
- XO/1st Battalion: Zhong-shao Oscar Sung
- 2nd Battalion: Zhong-shao Elizabeth Lee-Ping
- The command fields an independent command lance and received as replacement for battlefield losses 12 factory-new machines.
- Wing Commander: Kong-zhong-shao Yal Po Tseng
- only a lately assignment
- Armor Commander: Sao-shao Jamie "Mailman" Gardner
- 3rd Victoria Home Guard - CO: Zhong-shao Pan Ti Lun
- 15th Victoria Home Guard - CO: Zhong-shao Eric LaFabre
- 3rd & 15th regiment includes a company each of artillery and laser-equipped troops
Kingston's Victoria Commonality Rangers (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Willow Green
Kingston's Air Rangers (2 Flights/Green/Reliable)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Uzikiel Blaine
Kingston's Armored Rangers (2 Battalions/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Reginald Berkley
Kingston's VCR Infantry (3rd Victoria) (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Kendal Akeley
Kingston's VCR Infantry (15th Victoria) (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Kelsie Neil
After the Jihad Kingston's Rangers were reduced to three quarters of their pre-war strength.
Kingston's VCR (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Mara Kingston
Kingston's Air Rangers (2 Flights/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Kong-shong-shao Igor Vasilyev
Kingston's Armored Rangers (2 Battalion's/Green/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Barry Wang
Kingston's VCR Infantry (3rd Victoria) (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Nadezhda Smirnov
Kingston's VCR Infantry (15th Victoria) (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Po Ling Lee
1st Victoria Rangers (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Sang-shao Elena Kingston
Kingston’s Air Rangers (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Ernest Bowers
Kingston’s Armored Rangers (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Gloria Foss
3rd Victoria Infantry (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Zhong-shao Jeanette Collier
The majority of the Rangers use a two-color patchwork camouflage and always include red highlights. Those Rangers who fought in Clan-space however use the jungle pattern paint scheme they used on Huntress, showing no sign of ever changing. Newer recruits may not use this color pattern. 
Kingston's Rangers regimental insignia is a hawk pierced by a lance, set over a red circular field. As with other reserve divisions, the Victoria Commonality Rangers use the Confederation crest as their only insignia aside from a regimental emblem. Their version of the crest is backed by a steel-colored field. 
The unit is sometimes referred to as Kingston's Victoria Commonality Rangers (or Kingston's VCR) in later source books.
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 43, "Victoria Rangers - 3145"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 85, "Kingston's Legionnaires Unit Profile"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 105, "Deployment Table - 3025"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Vol 2, p. 52
- 20-Year Update, p. 62, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3050"
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 87
- Historial: War of 3039, p. 128 "Countering the Big Mac - Ares"
- Chaos March (sourcebook), p. 13 "Sarna Supremacy"
- Twilight of the Clans, p. 9
- The Hunters, pp. 112-113
- Twilight of the Clans, p. 10
- Twilight of the Clans, p. 11
- Twilight of the Clans, p. 13
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 84
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 83,
- Field Manual: Update, p. 24, "Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Update, p. 33, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, pp. 17-18, "OPERATION: SOVEREIGN JUSTICE"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, pp. 18-21, "Kingston's VCR exploits as part of Task Force Vengeance in Operation: Thunderstrike."
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 14
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 31
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 34, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 50 "BLITZKRIEG"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation, pp. 14 "Notable Units"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, pp. 51-54 "The Siege of Victoria"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 58 "Celestial Justice - Capellans Ascendant"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 65 "Casualities of the Victoria War"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 47, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3145"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 85
- Objective Raids, p. 41, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3054"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p.105
- Historical: Brush Wars, p.87
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 140
- 20-Year Update
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: CCAF
- Historical: War of 3039
- Historical: Brush Wars
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- The Hunters
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Objective Raids
- Twilight of the Clans
- Chaos March (sourcebook)
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation