21st Royal Division
- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
|21st Royal Division|
|Unit Profile (as of 2588)|
|Parent Formation||VII Corps|
The Twenty-First Royal Division was a part of the Star League Defense Force Regular Army. It was originally formed during the creation of the SLDF in 2571, and was a part of VII Corps during the Reunification War, where it served in the Magistracy of Canopus campaign from 2577 to 2588.
As a part of the Magistracy of Canopus task force, the 21st was stationed on Watermael when military action against the Alliance began. The 21st didn't undertake an offensive action at division strength during the Magistracy of Canopus campaign, but the Commanding Officer of VII Corps, Captain-General Marion Marik, would often assign a division or more of troops to the conquest of various worlds by drawing together brigades from across VII Corps. Brigades from the 21st operated in conjunction with independent regiments from within VII Corps as well as fighting alongside units from the Free Worlds League Military assigned to the task force as auxiliary forces.
Brigades from the 21st fought alongside brigades from the 19th Division in 2577 to capture the worlds of Gouderak, Restitution and Umka and alongside brigades from the 20th Division in 2578 to capture Ruschegg. The 61st Royal Brigade was one of two brigades involved in the protracted battle with the Canopian Chasseurs á Cheval on Eleusis in 2579.
Following two fallow years of rebuilding, refitting and rearming the 21st was put back into combat in 2582, capturing the world of Royal Foxx alongside elements of the 20th, and then capturing Nobel in 2583 alongside the 19th. All three divisions within VII Corps contributed to the invasion of Canopus IV in 2584, and while the campaign would continue after the fall of Canopus the final SDLF victory was certain. The Magistracy Armed Forces continued to resist and contested as many invasions as possible, but lacking much by way of naval assets the Canopians were unable to redeploy rapidly as they had done in the opening stages of the war; as a result, after pushing the two surviving regiments from the Chasseurs á Cheval from Candiear in 2585 the 21st was able to destroy or capture the 2nd Canopian Fusiliers and Samuelson's Slaughterers on the world of Cate's Hold in 2587. The 62nd Royal Brigade was the last SLDF brigade to see active combat in the war with the Magistracy when Marik led the 62nd and two FWLM regiments against the last of the Canopian forces gathered on Kossandra's Memory in the final battle of the war.
The 21st Division (3 Brigades)
Despite the doctrine and organization originally defined for divisions during the creation of the SLDF, the 21st would most likely have been a mélange of combined armed units.
It was confirmed by the author of Historical: Reunification War that in general, the Divisions listed within the Star League sourcebook be traced back directly to those Divisions listed within Historial: Reunification War. However, there is no division with the designation "21st" within The Star League, so it is not possible to say what the final fate of the 21st was.
- VII Corps units may utilize Overrun Combat.
- VII Corps units gain a +1 bonus to repair rolls.
- The VII Corps commander may select half of the maps used in any battle, irrespective of scenario rules.
- VII Corps units adhere to the Ares Conventions.
- VII Corps units suffer a -2 penalty to Initiative if forced to fight on city maps.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 148, "Magistracy of Canopus Front (Jump-Off &ndash 2582)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 149, "Magistracy of Canopus Front (2583 &ndash 2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 27, "Divisions and Brigades"
- Ask The Writers: Star League Divisions: Reunification War to Liberation of Terra
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 181, "The Star League"