5th Davion Guards
|5th Davion Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Nickname||The Bent Sword Brigade |
|Parent Formation||Davion Brigade of Guards|
The Fifth Davion Guards (sometimes known as the Fifth Guards RCT) were original a BattleMech Regiment and later Regimental Combat Team of multiple Regiments whom had served the Federated Suns and Federated Commonwealth as one of it's elite combat forces.
The Early Succession Wars
During the First Succession War, the Fifth was medium weight BattleMech regiment stationed on Smolensk in 2786. The onslaught of the fighting of the war, would reduce the unit's fighting strength to 57 percent and it would end up stationed on New Avalon by the war's end in 2821.
Third Succession War
By the Third War, the Fifth Guards had become a multi-purpose Regional Combat Team, with integrated Tank and Infantry regiments supporting the Guard's BattleMech regiments.
The Fifth was stationed on Spica in 3017 when the unit was attacked by Capellan Confederation forces secretly led by Candace Liao. The invading forces cut the command battalion off from the rest of the regiment in the city of Valencia. Major William Dobson and Lieutenant Justin Allard broke the siege with a risky plan and ultimately caused the invasion force to withdraw from the planet.
The War of 3039
The Guards saw action during the War of 3039, where they were teamed up with newly formed Third FedCom RCT to take the world of Sadalbari. Overall command of the Task Force was given to Marshal Cunningham. The regiment would be position on the world of David for initial operations in to the Draconis Combine.
During the operations in April of 3039, Cunningham launched a daring plan where the Task Force's aerospace fighters would strike the planet's communication centers to disrupt the world's defenders in coordinating their efforts stop his Task Force as they struck two military reservations where Kurita were garrisoned. In a night raid, the Task Force's jump troops backed up by battalion of recon Battlemechs would take the garrisons by surprise preventing them from deploying into action. The Davions were successful in their surprise attack at the Xantal Reservation. Just outside planet's capital of Solus City, the bulk of the Task Force's troops would in the plains next to the Origian Reservation. Unlike the highly successful capture of the Xantal garrison, the Origian Garrison of Kuritans would be given time to from up due Task Force's commander of the Originan insistence to wait till his troops were formed up. Elements of the Second Shin Legion would lead several combined arms forces in counterattack against the Task Force's units. Marshal Vernon Cunningham efforts to attack was repulsed due to running head long into the Kurita forces. Due to the incompetence of Major General Thomas Davion, the momentum of destroying the Kuritans was lost, when Davion ordered his forces to hold the city verses pursuing the DCMS units.
Realizing the slowness of the Davion forces, The Shin Legion's commanding officer Tai-sa Coale, would send his forces out and overrun the HQ of the Task Force, capturing Major General Davion and Marshal Cunningham. Elements of the Third FedCom's First ’Mech battalion commanded by Major Jack Roberts would arrive too late to be able prevent the capture of the Taskforces's leading generals.
The command of the Task Force would fall to Major General Anya Tam and Major Roberts who devised a plan try turn the tables on Tai-sa Coale's forces. Taking advantage of Task Force's superior numbers, Major Roberts utilized the Guards and FedCom Mech forces heavier Mech and vehicles elements against the Kuritans. While he pushed fastest units to strike from the flanks of the enemy and hit vital DCMS staging grounds and would ultimately encircle Kurita's headquarters causing DCMS troops to panic. Though efforts of Major Robert and his troops, the Battle of the Amber Plain turn out to be success, and the Guards were able rescue the Marshall. For the remainder of the month Davion forces was in pursuit of Coale and his troops and was hampered by fowl weather and rough terrain. While after the month the Fifth and rest task force had firmly secure control of the planet, the Kuritan forces retreated to the Salas County. Coale had his forces dig in behind the Kotiate Mountain Range where he would held up in old base and remains of a Castle Brian.
By July, the Fifth was called up to reinforce Third FedCom as they were trying fight off the Seventh and Eighth Ghost assault. In course of the fighting, the FedCom RCT was force to withdraw from their positions in Origian Reservation. Colonel Roberts Demi-Brigade would be called help relieve assault on Third FedCom. However the combined Ghost Regiments lead by Tai-sa Hishu Stonara would destroy Robert's brigade and later disintegrate the Third FedCom. Fifth Guards would enter the field to buy time for Colonel Roberts and Leftenant General Dane Cooper to reform the Third FedCom as Tai-sa Coale's force emerged from their mountain strong holds and aided in hunting down the elements of the Third. However, efforts reform were was too late, much of the RCT strength was lost in course of the fighting the Ghosts and newly re-merged 2nd Shin Legion. Much of it to do, with Ghost Regiments using lostech equipped battlemechs, which would go on to exhaust Fifth Guards. Marshall Cunningham decided to fall back to the Xantal Military Reservation and fortify their positions and await for aid arrive. By October, the Fifth and rest of the Task forces would retreat from the planet and return to the world of David.
The Fifth Davion Guards were on Bessarabia when the Clan Invasion began. They were forced off that world by Clan Wolf but learned how to counter the massive firepower of the Clan forces. They employed this information against Clan Jade Falcon on La Grave in 3051, but the Falcons had also learned. A star of Elementals assigned to headhunter duty found the Fifth's commanders and killed them. The Falcons then used concentrated fire on several command and support units. This information came at a serious price, however, as the Fifth lost most of their conventional infantry and vehicle support. They were reassigned to Mkuranga to rebuild. After guarding the Clan border for two years after the Truce of Tukayyid, the Fifth relocated back to the Capellan March.
FedCom Civil War
Stationed on Alcyone with the 20th Avalon Hussars and the Alcyone Capellan March Militia, the Fifth tried to remain aloof from the conflict. When orders from Katherine Steiner-Davion ordered the Fifth offworld, they refused to obey them. The Fifth and 20th Avalon Hussars blockaded the Alcyone CMM in their base and proceeded to starve them out. The CMM eventually surrendered after losing 90% of their combat forces. The Fifth Davion Guards were then deployed to counter pro-Katrina Steiner forces on Kathil and after fighting for nearly two years on Kathil the Fifth Davion Guards were destroyed. Survivors were absorbed into the 3rd Davion Guards. Although the Fifth was officially deactivated after the battles with the Eighth FedCom RCT and the Eighth Donegal Guards on New Syrtis, Leftenant General Seth Varnay assembled an ad hoc armored unit formed from survivors of the Fifth and took them to fight on New Avalon.
|Commanding Officers of the 5th Davion Guards|
|Hauptmann General||William Galloway||3054|
|Marshal||Linda Archer||3062Retired during the months of fighting on Kathil.|
The Fifth Davion Guards were skilled in close quarters combat, particularly in heavily wooded areas.
Fifth Davion Guards (Veteran/Fanatical)
- - At this point in time the Guards were a medium-weight regiment stationed on Smolensk and were operating at full strength.
Fifth Davion Guards (Veteran/Fanatical)
- - At this point in time the Guards were a medium-weight regiment stationed on New Avalon and had been reduced to just over half-strength.
Fifth Davion Guards (Veteran/Fanatical)
- - At this point in time the Guards were a medium-weight regiment and had rebuilt to almost full strength. The Guards were stationed on New Avalon.
Fifth Davion Guards (Regular/Fanatical)
- - At this point in time the Guards were a medium-weight regiment stationed on New Avalon, and had been reduced to a fifth of full strength.
Fifth Davion Guards RCT (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Marshal Kinsley Crossburns
Fifth Davion Guards RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
Fifth Davion Guards (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Hauptmann General William Galloway
- CO: Marshal Linda Archer
- Aide: Colonel Tasset Rinnaldi
- - Two Companies standard Omni's and a full lance heavy-, assault Omni's
- CO: Rear Admiral Nech MacAllister
- Fortieth Avalon Ravens Wing
- 294th Attack Wing
Fifth Davion Guards Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Major General Connor K'Tenga
- Aide: Leftenant Colonel Fred Korleon
- 197th New Avalon Panzer Regiment: Leftenant General Dana Han-Pehn
- Forty-third Albion Grenadiers: Colonel Seth Roman Varnay
- 225th Recon Regiment: Colonel T.J Bathe
- 2748th Federation Artillery Battalion: Leftenant Colonel Pan Ti DeGalley
- - Equipped with new vehicle designs, and one platoon with Kuritan Tokugawas
Fifth Davion Guards Infantry Brigade (4 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Claude Raines
- Aide: Colonel Marcus Tovovich
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 83, "5th Davion Guards Unit Profile"
- First Succession War (Sourcebook), p. 134 First Succession War Deployment Tables - Guard's Status in 2785 and 2821.
- Second Succession War (Sourcebook), p. 94 Second Succession War Deployment Tables - Guard's Status Between 2830 and 2864.
- House Davion (The Federated Suns) PDF, p.139 - Brief info on the RCT by Third Succession War.
- Warrior: Riposte, p. 117
- Historical: War of 3039, pp.45-47,136 Wave One - Sadalbari - First Wave actions of the Fifth Davion Guards.
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 96, 136 Wave Two and Counterattack - Sadalbari - First Wave actions of the Fifth Davion Guards and the aftermath.
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 43
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 83
- Objective Raids, p. 23
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), pp. 53-54
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 57
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 181
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 129
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 26, "Ajax Assault Tank"
- Warrior: En Garde, p. 106
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 137 (pdf version), "Alcyone PDZ"
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 124
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 144, "5th Davion Guards Rules"
- First Succession War, p. 134, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns (AFFS)"
- 'Second succession War, p. 94, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns (AFFS)"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 136