23rd Provisional Garrison Cluster (Clan Ghost Bear)
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Twenty-third Provisional Garrison Cluster|
|Unit Profile (as of 3085)|
|Parent Formation||Pi Galaxy|
|Disbanded||Ca. 3080 - 3084|
Formed in or around the 2980s, Pi Galaxy was a solid and dependable garrison force within the Clan Homeworlds and was brought to the Inner Sphere just prior to Wave Four of Operation REVIVAL in 3050 to garrison worlds taken. During the first decade of its tenure within the Inner Sphere Pi Galaxy saw relatively little combat, other than attacks from particularly bold pirate forces.
Pi Galaxy was understrength in terms of heavy BattleMechs, something that made it difficult for the Galaxy to achieve the victories that might perhaps be expected of a similar formation; lacking a Bears Regular unit, Pi Galaxy depended on the Twenty-third Provisional Garrison Cluster to act as the Galaxy's main offensive force. The Twenty-third was commanded by the commanding officer of Pi Galaxy, Galaxy Commander Azrael Bekker, and Bekker's military aide, Star Captain Joie, was attempting to compensate for the lack of heavy 'Mechs within the Twenty-third in the early 3060s. A young and eager Elemental, Joie was acknowledged as possessing strong leadership abilities and commanded a formidable infantry detachment within the Twenty-third that went some way towards counterbalancing the lack of heavy 'Mechs.
First Draconis Combine/Ghost Bear War
Although Pi Galaxy was a defensive formation, it was added to Alpha Wave during the Ghost Bear campaign against the Word of Blake in the Jihad. Alpha Wave was led by Alpha Galaxy and included Omega Galaxy as well as Pi; Pi acted in support of the other Galaxies and missed the campaign to liberate Kaus Borealis, but joined the second wave of attacks against Dyev.
After landing on Dyev during a wave of attacks against worlds in the Word of Blake Protectorate in July 3076, Pi Galaxy found itself facing a Blakist counteroffensive in December when a task force breached the blockade of Ghost Bear and Snow Raven ships in orbit and landed six Divisions of troops on the surface of Dyev. The Blakists landed around Trogport and the planetary capital, Novaya Mensk, before deploying outwards. Pi Galaxy fought alongside Kappa Galaxy against the Thirty-second Militia Division and the Second New Earth and First Zosma Protectorate Militia Divisions; the Blakists used the fortifications built in previous years by the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery to try and resist the Ghost Bear attack.
Pi Galaxy proved it's mettle on Dyev, and history records that the Thirty-second Militia Division was subsequently destroyed on Dyev before the end of 3076.
In addition to joining the campaign for Dyev, Pi Galaxy won the honor of liberating the world of Asta. By this point, the Ghost Bears were acting as a part of Operation SCOUR, and as forces from the Draconis Combine led by Tai-shu Isoroku Kurita concentrated on securing the planetary capital, Excaliba, in the face of fierce resistance, before clearing the remainder of the Balerdo continent, Pi Galaxy concentrated on the Moolai continent.
It was from a prison camp on Asta that the noted warrior Andrew Redburn was liberated on the 18th of March 3077; Redburn had provoked a series of uprising in Blakist reeducation camps beginning in the port city of Logan and then spreading through other camps a week before the Coalition forces arrived. The prisoner uprising distracted the Blakist forces, speeding up the campaign to liberate the world.
Pi Galaxy was disbanded by the Dominion Council after the Jihad was over, along with Omicron and Sigma Galaxies. The Twenty-third was disbanded, and the survivors of the Twenty-third PGC were assigned to the various units within Omega Galaxy in an attempt to reform Omega's behavior.
Whereas Omega had been regarded with suspicion by the rest of the Ghost Bear touman after it had originally been formed - despite having been formed from the best warriors available - the bulk of the replacement personnel assigned to Omega as it rebuilt were Rasalhagian recruits who lacked a firm grounding in the Way of Clans. Whereas Omega had always walked a tightrope in the past between the ways of honor and the dishonorable excesses of the Inner Sphere, the balance was considered to have firmly shifted towards the latter, with many Ghost Bears coming to shun Omega for what was considered to be a descent into dezgra.
Assigning the personnel from the Twenty-third to Omega was one of the attempts made by the Dominion as the Dominion Council attempted to check this downward slide; another was to transfer in the Third Bear Regulars as a discrete unit from Theta Galaxy. It was hoped that the combination of these Clan warriors plus those originally assigned to Omega Galaxy would provide a good example for the Galaxy. Unfortunately, both the Third and Twenty-third had been primarily defensive Clusters, and the transition into a front-line formation was difficult for them; as a result, Omega was moved to locations where the nearest significant enemy force was unlikely to launch an attack - the nearest enemy force being Kappa Galaxy of Clan Wolf - while also placing Omega under the watchful eye of the Dominion's Tau Galaxy.
Twenty-third Provisional Garrison Cluster (Veteran/Fanatical)
Twenty-third Provisional Garrison Cluster (Veteran/Fanatical)
- - The Twenty-third was stationed on Soverzene at this point in time and had rebuilt to seven-eighths of full strength; eighty percent of the Thirteenth were equipped with Clan technology, with the remainder of the Cluster using Star League era designs. Almost a third of the Cluster were equipped with OmniMechs or equivalent technology.
Twenty-third Provisional Garrison Cluster
- - The Twenty-third was stationed on Thule at this point in time and had been reduced to a third of full strength; less than a fifth of the Cluster were equipped with OmniMechs or equivalent technology.
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 98, "Pi Galaxy"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 61, "Pi Galaxy"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 10, "Pi Galaxy"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 22, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 18, "A Time Of Cleansing"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 126, "Word Of Blake Militia"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 32, "Official Update 2"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 57, "The Jihad In Review"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 120, "Omega Galaxy"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 78, "Pi Galaxy"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 164, "Pi Galaxy"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 11, "Deployment Status"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 182, "Pi Galaxy"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 180, "Pi Galaxy"