246th Mechanized Infantry Division
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|246th Mechanized Infantry Division|
|Unit Profile (as of 2764)|
|Parent Formation||VII Corps|
The 246th Mechanized Infantry Division was a part of the Star League Defense Force Regular Army.
Formed from the merger of a pair of armor brigades and a paratrooper brigade. The High Command wanted to form a combined arms unit from the brigades, but they balked. They continued to work as independent units until they faced a bandit raid where they were forced to integrate their forces. Since that time, they continued to evolve their tactics, allowing them to rapidly drop 'Mechs, tanks, and infantry units behind enemy lines.
In 2764 the 246th was a part of VII Corps within the Eighth Army and was assigned to District 1 of the Free Worlds League Military Region. The 246th was then transferred to District 2 by 2765 in response to the Periphery Uprising. The 246th was destroyed during the Hegemony Campaign.
The Mechanised Infantry Divisions of the Star League were used offensively to exploit gaps in the enemy front created by the BattleMech Divisions. They also bore the brunt of defensive actions.
Their signature assault tactic is to parachute tanks, APCs and IFVs behind enemy lines.
The Division comprised two Brigades of Mechanised Infantry and a single BattleMech Brigade. Also attached was a Ground Aero Wing.
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 109
- The Star League, p. 141, "Eighth"
- The Star League, p. 133