2nd Freemen (Clan Ghost Bear)
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||Strength Through Growth|
- 1 Unit Description
- 2 History
- 2.1 Formation and the Ronin Wars
- 2.2 The Clan Invasion
- 2.3 Clan Invasion Era and the Raiding the Ghost Bear Dominion
- 2.4 The Jihad, Joining the Ghost Bear's Dominion, and Rebellion
- 2.5 Early Dark Age Era
- 2.6 Late Dark Age Era
- 3 Officers
- 4 Tactics
- 5 Composition History
- 6 Rules
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
Formation and the Ronin Wars
Like the First Freeman, the Second's origin can be traced to smaller infantry units from border world, but they saw no fighting during the Ronin Wars. During the Ronin Wars, the unit during the conflict as garrison force. It was providentially used to as garrison force starting in July 3034, when it was sent to was Engadin. It was there to relieve the Second Genyosha just after they had completed it's extermination of survivors of the Ninth Rasalhague Regulars after shattering unit it's attack in June.
The Clan Invasion
During Operation Revival the regiment was stationed on Hainfeld. The world was defended by a large garrison force, which lacked sufficient air defense capabilities. The assaulting Wolf Clan task force (Green Keshik, Nega and Dorbeng Garrison Clusters) made a night combat drop at the capital. The Freeman retreated off-world to avoid damage to the civilian infrastructure.
Both sides meets again on Carse in February 3052. The invaders (Red Keshik, 11th Wolf Guards, 37th Striker Cluster) landed far away from all important objectives. The CO of the Freeman used his scouts and set a series of engagements. The bad weather conditions hampered the Clan, preventing the use of its AeroSpace Fighters. The Second inflicted serious damage on several Wolf Clan units before withdrawing to Ueda.
Clan Invasion Era and the Raiding the Ghost Bear Dominion
After the Truce of Tukayyid the Kungsarme shipped a great deal of equipment to the Second Freemen, hoping to put more effective weapons in the hands of soldiers who could use it. The unit became after being rebuilt it became a symbol of Rasalhague's determination to resist the Clans, expanding into a Regimental Combat Team by 3062.
In 3065 the Second Freemen were assigned to probe the territory claimed by Clan Ghost Bear. During this expedition they met the 1st Rasalhague Bears, a Cluster commanded by Ragnar Magnusson. Rather than engage their Elected Prince in combat, the Second withdrew.
The Jihad, Joining the Ghost Bear's Dominion, and Rebellion
Ice Hellion Raids of 3076
In early 3076 during the Jihad, the Second Freemen helped to fight off Clan Ice Hellion raids in the Dominion. Half completed it's conversion to a true Clan Cluster, they fought notably on Pinnacle and Damian. The unit was one of three clusters of former Rasalhague troops who had responded to series of multiple interplanetary raids. The Second had teamed up with the Third Drakøn and Second Kavalleri. It was around Damian’s capital city is where they began to put stop to renegade Hellions. The Cluster size Hellion troops fought the under strength ex-KungsArmé troops to a standstill, when the fighting moved to the wooded outskirts of the capital city where Second Freemen and other troops managed put down the Hellion's raids despite the damage incurred in the fighting.
The unit was reorganized into a Clan style Cluster around this same time. In October 3076 warriors from the Second refused to return to their base and participate in the Trials of Position mandated by the merger of the Republic with Clan Ghost Bear. The unit would rebel against the reorganization with the First Kavalleri, where they would face their own countrymen in stand off. In November the First Tyr would be dispatch to Trondheim to meet with the rebels of Second Freemen. However, talks between the two ex-KungsArme' unit would devolve into open warfare. In the resulting battle, the Second Freemen were all but destroyed with only six Mechwarriors left alive, none of it's BattleMechs left operation. Those surviving members of the Second Freemens would later be tried in court marshal for their rebellious act. By December, the rebuilding Second Freemen began, with the unit's name kept on the rolls of the Dominion due to unit's past defense of rebellion and keeping peace with the Clan's civilian population. By 3079 the Second's new members worked hard to improve their unit's image in the eyes of their countrymen.
Early Dark Age Era
The Second Combine-Dominion War
By late 3090s, tensions were running high between Clan Nova Cat and Dominion. A noticeably decline in relations through trials conducted between two forces, would cause the Ghost Bear's lead Dominion become increasingly less civil and devolving into ignoring zellbrigen and turning into outright hatred. The Second Freemen would not be called up to serve as part of Clan's offensive into Irece Prefecture in 3099, when other two clusters of its Galaxy would be called upon to invade fight the Draconis Combine and try to exterminate Clan Nova Cat. Prior to the breakout of war the unit would be built up, along with other Clusters of the KungsArmé to five Trinaries of 'Mechs and equipment.
Late Dark Age Era
By the late Dark Ages, the Second had became the historical core of the Taiga Galaxy, due unit remaining active since founding of the Free Rasalhague Republic. The Second had retained ruthless attitude in protecting Rasalhague Dominion and keep it "Free".
The Second Freemen Cluster faced the Hell's Horses Ninety-first Mechanized Assault Cluster in 3143. The Ninety-first landed on Gunzburg and the Second's artillery forced the Horses to seek cover. The Horse Cluster used several QuadVees, and these were able to hide in nearby woods, but this cost them six Arion QuadVee crews.
- 3062 - The Second Freemen specialized in anti-Clan tactics. They were experts at ambushes, concentrated artillery strikes, and concentrating their fire on individual Clan warriors.
- 3145 - Second Freemen by 3145, like other Freemen Clusters try to corral and isolate elements of opposing force, then use Star of Huitzilopochtli guided by binary worth scout vehicles to destroy them.
Freemen (Infantry Regiment) Unit Notes:
- CO: 1st Battalion - Överste Rhett Weaver
- XO: 2nd Battalion - Överste-Löjtnant Hiroshi Hosokawa
- 3rd Battalion - Överste-Löjtnant Barbara Drabek
- Wing Commander - Överste-Löjtnant Pamela Kirch
- Armor Commander: Överste Philip Jopa
- Troop Commander: Överste Pierre Chassin
Unit Note: - After their probe of Ghost Bear held territory in 3067, the Freemen returned to Rasalhague space with a Tyr armored hovercraft. They also received a Level I of Purifier Adaptive battle armor from ComStar.
Second Freemen (Cluster) - [Regular Skilled, Reliable (Clan) Loyalty/Fanatical Loyalty (Republic)] Unit Note: Loyalties for the unit are divided due to the recent merger of the Dominion and Free Rasalhague Republic. Stationed on Orestes, the unit's fighting strength as of December 3076 was at 15 percent fighting strength. This was due to its destructive rebellion against Clan leadership.
Second Freemen (Cluster) - [Regular Skilled, Reliable Loyalty] Unit Note: The Second was stationed on Goito, and was at 30 percent of its fighting strength, with only 5 percent numbers having OmniMechs.
Second Freemen (Cluster) - [Regular Skilled, Reliable Loyalty] Unit Note: Fitted out with Second Line technology, the unit was stationed on Holmsbu as of 3085. It was at 45 percent of it's fighting strength, with 15 percent it's numbers consisting of OmniMechs. The unit was process of slowly being rebuilt after it's rebellion in 3076.
Second Freemen (Cluster) - [Regular Skilled, Reliable Loyalty] Unit Note: Stationed on Gunzburg in 3145, the unit was at 90 percent of its fighting strength and had no OmniMechs among its ranks, while having access to Second-Line Clan equipment.
- Field Manual: ComStar (Special Command Rules)- Trained to fight Clan troops in 3062, the player controlling the Second Freemen, gains +2 to the initiative roll when facing Clan troops. For use of MechWarrior roleplaying system, characters created for use in the Second Freemen gain skill of Special Interest/Clan Tactics at level 1.
- Field Manual: 3145 (Special Command Rules)- Taiga Galaxy affiliated Clusters, including the Second Freemen, utilize off-board artillery when it's mutually agreed between players to use them. When fighting on worlds that have historical ties to the old Rasalhague Republic or part of the Rasalhague Dominion they receive -1 to all gunnery skill checks, while receiving -2 to any initiative rolls. These additional conditions reflects to the warriors of the Cluster's tactical wisdom and fanatical devotion to anything tied to the Rasalhague Republic.
- Historical: Brush Wars, pp. 106, 120 - The Ronin Wars/ The Drakon's Bite & FREE RASALHAGUE FORCES (MARCH-JUNE 3034) - Unit shown to be operational as of 3034.
- Historical: Brush Wars, pp. 106, 111, 120-121 - Unit's origin as Infantry Regiment, and it's brief history during the war being used as garrison unit after being formed formally as frontline command.
- Wolf Clan Sourcebook, p. 66
- Wolf Clan Sourcebook, p. 69
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 70 - Second Freemen - Strength through Growth - Armed force report, noting Second Freemen's activities, noting that the Elected-Prince expanded the unit into a Combat Team.
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 92
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 70 - HELLION RENEGADES TEST RASALHAGUE DEFENSE - Actions of the Second Freemen during the Hellion raids of 3076.
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 22, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, pp. 91-92 Rasalhague Rebellion - Details of the Second Freemen's rebellion and destruction at hands of their own country men.
- Field Report: Clans, p. 23
- Jihad Host Spots: 3076, p. 105 State of Homelands/KUNGSARMÉ - Unit status after the Rebellion in October/November, and the reasons why the Second Freemen continued to exist in the Ghost Bear touman.
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 22 State of Readiness/Clan Ghost Bear - Freemen's Taiga Galaxy receives bolstering of fighting equipment and men for coming war. Number of Trinaries noted.
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p.26 Opening Actions/The Disaster at Soverzene - Nova Cats Hussars raid against 3rd Hussars, overwhelms and destroys the Cluster. triggering Second Combine-Dominion War.
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 164 Taiga Galaxy - Second Freemen mentioned of it's significance by 3145.
- Technical Readout: 3145 The Clans, p. 26
- 20 Year Update p. 51
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 99
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 164 Tagia Galaxy - Freemen Cluster information includes galaxy wide tactics of using heavy artillery vehicles to destroy enemy once they are isolated.
- 20 Year Update p. 51
- Jihad Host Spots: 3076, p. 105 State of Homelands/KUNGSARMÉ - Unit status after the Rebellion in October/November.
- Field Manual: 3085, pp. 121, 128, 195 - Unit note, status and other passing information about it's status as of 3085. SL=Second Line Units, with no modifiers to advance equipment.
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 173 Raslhague Dominion/Taiga Galaxy - Second Freemen status as of 3145.
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 142 Rules Annex/Special Command Abilities - Freenmen oriented abilities for both boardgame use of the Second Freemen and skills gained when using the old MechWarrior RPG system for characters related to the unit.
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 209 Rules Annex Special Command Rules /Rasalhague Dominion/Taiga galaxy - Taiga Galaxy units, including the Second Freemen receive bonus and special conditions in 3145 time period.