2nd Liao Guards
|2nd Liao Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||The Duke’s Own Horse (2765), The Coursers (3145)|
|Parent Formation||Liao Guards|
The 2nd Liao Guards was a unit of the CCAF during the Star League Era. They were viewed by the rest of the CCAF as a largely show unit, whose members were better at performing on a parade ground than on the battle field. They spent several years along the Periphery border and underwent a tough training regimen which at least instilled basic military competency.
A tradition of the Second was that every soldier was issued a white horse, and was responsible for learning how to ride, groom, and care for the animal. The need to move over one hundred horses added to the unit's logistical burden.
First Succession War
During the First Succession War the Second fought the Free Worlds League Military's invasion of the Sarna Commonality. They were highly effective in this role, and forced the FWLM to use nuclear weapons to destroy them.
The Second Liao Guards were reformed sometime before Operation GREAT FLOOD as one of the Hidden Lion regiments resurrected by Chancellor Daoshen Liao using stockpiled equipment. The new Liao Guards used the Augmented Regiment formations commonly found in the CCAF by 3145. They were a front-line regiment of the Tikonov Commonality.
Operation GREAT FLOOD
The Second Liao Guards spent the majority of Operation GREAT FLOOD securing planets captured by the McCarron's Armored Cavalry. Their first real battle occurred on Nanking where the regiment's lack of experience resulted in avoidable casualties. The planetary capital was eventually captured through simple attrition and the Liao Guards Brigade has since been using the locally produced BattleMechs to replace losses.
Operation CELESTIAL REWARD
The Second Liao Guards garrisoned Hsien and Nanking while Operation CELESTIAL REWARD took place. In February of 3144, a covert lance from Stone's Fury raided Hsien and destroyed a small Liao Guard patrol.
Lack of experience has made the Second Liao Guards dependent on their numbers and technology to achieve victory.
2nd Liao Guards (Regular/Questionable) 
2nd Liao Guards (Green/Fanatical)(80% Strength)
- CO: Sang-shao Felix Krishnamurthy
5th Sarna Air Defense Wing (Regular/Reliable)(50% Strength)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Gang Sit
3rd Sakhalin Light Armor (Regular/Fanatical)(75% Strength)
- CO: Zhong-shao Jdavie Mirshahi
1st Liao Foot Guards (Green/Fanatical)(105% Strength)
- CO: Zhong-shao Ying Kit Tang
- The unit had a "B" Equipment Rating. The vast majority of their machines were light BattleMechs such as Firebees with some Assassins, Riflemans and Wolverines mixed in.
Color Scheme and Unit Insignia
A galloping gray horse.
- Field Report 2765: Capellan Confederation, p. 11
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 35
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 27, "General Review"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 28, "THE NEW OLD-FASHIONED WAY"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, p. 40
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 47
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 28, "Sarna and Tikonov Commonalities"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 29, "Sian Commonality"