2nd Syrtis Fusiliers
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Second Syrtis Fusiliers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Parent Formation||Capellan March Brigade|
|Formed||Age of War|
The Second Syrtis Fusiliers can trace its origins back to the Age of War or earlier and the private military force raised by House Hasek to defend its mining and drilling concerns on New Syrtis. The Syrtis Fusiliers became the private guard and personal army of the Hasek family, with their star rising alongside that of the Hasek family and New Syrtis; the Syrtis Fusiliers expanded, and as time progressed the brigade became the official guard of New Syrtis and then perhaps the most important military command within the Capellan March Principality of the Federated Suns.
Davion Civil War
The bulk of the Syrtis Fusiliers brigade supported Prince David Varnay and his wife Cassandra Davion loyally throughout the Davion Civil War, opposing first the combined forces of Laura Davion and Nikolai Rostov and then First Prince Alexander Davion. At the end of the war Prince Alexander offered an amnesty to the survivors from the brigade, and reintegrated the Syrtis Fusiliers into the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns, the restructured military that replaced the Federated Peacekeeping Forces as the state military of the Federated Suns.
Alexander's clemency towards the Syrtis Fusiliers and his subsequent actions in rebuffing the attempt by Richard Varnay to seize control of the Capellan March cemented the Fusiliers' loyalty to New Avalon and the wider Federated Suns.
The Star League
The Second Syrtis Fusiliers served the Federated Suns well in the two centuries following the Davion Civil War; when the Star League council issued the Council Edict of 2650, sharply limiting the size of the military each Great House was allowed to maintain, the Second and her sister regiments were left untouched. The brigade would remain ten regiments strong until shortly after the repeal of the Council Edict of 2650.
In the mid-twenty-eighth century the Second - then nicknamed "Teyrnon's Axemen" - were stationed in the rimward tip of the Capellan March, a region where the Capellan Confederation and Taurian Concordat intersected. As tensions escalated throughout the end of the Star League era the Second saw more combat than most commands because of its location and operated as a collection of picket forces dotted across numerous systems to try and counteract the increasing number of raids occurring.
Dark Age Era
Reconstituted during the Dark Age era as a Light Combat Team attached to the Capellan March Brigade, the reborn Second Syrtis Fusiliers were stationed on the world of Capellan March world of Atlas immediately prior to the Confederation's mammoth Operation CELESTIAL REWARD. With Atlas targeted by the assault-weight Second St. Ives Lancers during CELESTIAL REWARD's initial wave, the Fusilier's CO quickly realized the Fusilier's lighter BattleMech forces could not defeat them and ordered his command to delay the Lancers to ensure critical leaders and supplies could be evacuated off-world. Making use of their superior mobility, the Second's light 'Mechs engaged the Lancers only briefly before pulling back as its company of Arrow IV-equipped Yellow Jacket VTOLs and Paladin artillery vehicles inflicted heavy damage and casualties upon the Capellan unit, buying enough time for the LCT to withdraw to Shoreham in good order.  
In the Victoria War the Second and 3rd Federated Suns Lancers landed on Zanzibar. The Second assaulted the Duchy Regional Training Center, and killed all the troops there, who refused to surrender. The Second then loaded into their DropShips and traveled to Victoria. Splitting into two combat groups, half the Second attacked the the city of Trellis, which housed a military academy and an electronics factory. The Second was held off by the academy's mixed battalion of 'Mechs and vehicles, but the Second used artillery to eliminate them. The other half of the Second moved to take the Shengli Arms factory and after a battle with corporate security and fortifications that cost the Second a battalion of troops, the factory was in AFFS control. Shortly thereafter the Third Battalion of the Second Fusiliers hit the 5th McCarron's Armored Cavalry from behind, forcing the Capellan unit to disengage from the 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry. Unfortunately they took heavy losses, and the First Armored Cavalry had been reduced to approximately half strength.
Second Syrtis Fusiliers (Veteran/Reliable)
Second Syrtis Fusiliers LCT (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Travis McGinty
Second Syrtis Fusiliers Aerospace Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Rear Admiral Tonya Morton
Second Syrtis Fusiliers Armor Brigade (Regular/Fanatical)
- CO: Leftenant General Charles Jennings
Second Syrtis Fusiliers Infantry Brigade (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Weylon Cash
- During the Dark Ages, the reconstituted Second's insignia was a black panther silhouetted by a silver thunderbolt, trimming their units with parallel lines of black and silver. 
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 18, "Syrtis Fusiliers"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 37 "Capellan Confederation - St. Ives Armored Cavalry - Second St. Ives Lancers"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 78 "Federated Suns - Capellan March Brigade - Second Syrtis Fusiliers"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 50
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 51
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 53
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 89, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 19, "Regimental Status"