3rd Armored Division
|3rd Armored Division|
|Unit Profile (as of 2585)|
|Parent Formation||Alliance Armored Corps|
Formed as a result of the order issued by Outworlds Alliance President Grigori Avellar in 2572 that created the Outworlds Alliance Militia, the 3rd Armored Division was a part of the crash armament program that resulted, and was equipped with a mixture of vehicles and equipment sourced covertly from outside the Alliance and those armored vehicles manufactured by Alliance industries which had been realigned by the President to produce armaments.
In the years between 2571 and 2581, military recruitment from within the Outworlds Alliance was extremely low, and the OAM was forced to rely on recruiting foreigners. This would change after events in the first year of the war, but by the time the war began, the 3rd Armored Division was largely crewed by foreign-born troops with military experience.
In the opening stages of the Star League invasion of the Outworlds Alliance the 3rd Armored Division was deployed across three worlds: Dindatari, Lushann and Morthac. This meant that the 3rd Armored wouldn't actually see combat until 2583; having consolidated onto the industrial world of Lushann alongside the Alliance Borderers and the Pitkin Lancers, in March the 3rd Armored faced the invading 15th Division of the SLDF, who had been dispatched to capture Lushann and to target the Pitkin Lancers for destruction.
The 3rd Armored Division and other Alliance forces on Lushann fought a staunch defense for several weeks against the 15th Division's initial attacks, managing to hold the cities of Rotta and Sanbornton long enough for the Pitcairn Legion to reinforce the world in late April and take the fight back to the 15th, only to then fight alongside the 4th Armored Division in July when that division was ordered to relieve the Pitcairn Legion.
The battle for Lushann inflicted a heavy toll on the 3rd Armored and the other defenders, and would continue to grind away slowly throughout the remainder of the war; the conflict intensified in mid-2584, but despite two years of combat the SLDF never conquered the world, in part due to the efforts of the 3rd Armored Division.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 141, "Outworlds Alliance Front"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 108, "Something From Nothing"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 108, "Guns and Diplomats"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 110, "Alliance Preparations"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 124, "Baby Killers Unleashed"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 124, "Battle For Lushann"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 124, "Day Of Vengeance"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 125, "Slow Grind"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 126, "Negotiation"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 183, "Alliance Armored Divisions"