3rd Arcturan Guards
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Third Arcturan Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Nickname||The Melpomene Regiment|
|Parent Formation||Arcturan Guards|
The Arcturan Guards brigade was originally founded as the Capitol Guards when the Lyran Commonwealth was founded as a nation in 2341, and the brigade changed it's name to the Arcturan Guards sixty years later when the government of the Commonwealth was relocated from Arcturus to Tharkad. The Third Arcturan Guards was one of the nine founding units of the Guards, and like the other Guards units was named for a muse from ancient mythology - in this case, Melpomene.
Star League Era
Like the other regiments of the Arcturan Guard, the Third struggled with boredom and ennui during the closing years of the Star League era; the Star League Defense Force acted as an effective deterrent in the main, making large-scale military deployments for the Third a rarity, and leaving the regiment to occupy itself with training exercises and garrison duty.
Although the Third had been named for the Greek muse of tragedy the regiment didn't look towards her during the Star League era; instead, by the 2760s the regiment had spent decades honing its fighting skills, and by 2765 it was the most skilled of the regiments within the Arcturan Guards. The Third was able to put its skills to practice in the mid-2760s when it was given the opportunity to engage an alleged pirate group that was operating across the Commonwealth border from within the Draconis Combine. Although both governments expressed diplomatic outrage over the incident, neither registered formal requests for investigation by the SLDF.
- Third Arcturan Guards (Elite/Fanatical)
- The Third Arcturan Guards appear to have been casualties of the Succession Wars.
- According to Greek mythology the Muse Melpomene was initially the Muse of singing but later became known as the Muse of tragedy.
- Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth 2765, p. 8-9, "Arcturan Guards"
- Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth 2765, p. 9, "Regimental Status"