2nd Free Worlds Guards
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Second Free Worlds Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Parent Formation||Free Worlds Guards|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
The command was created under the Defense Act of 2464 as the first real BattleMech unit within the Free Worlds League. Over the centuries they proved their worth through unquestionable service.
With the Second Guards led the FWLM forces into the former Terran Hegemony and their final goal was Terra itself. The command used a secret base as preparation for the invasion but unknown forces attacked the Guards during the Procyon Campaign in 2789.
With the start of the Second Succession War the command made an successful raid at the Liao planet Shiro III. The material which was taken was transferred to other units. The command was then assigned to the Lyran border.
Third Succession War
In 3020 the Second were stationed on Bella I, but the Guards' Third Battalion was deployed to McAffe under the command of newly-promoted Force Commander Simon Beckner as part of an attempt to ambush the mercenary unit Snord's Irregulars. In retaliation for the number of successful raids and campaigns against the League that the Irregulars had either performed or supported, the League spread rumours that a number of priceless artworks, including a number captured from the Irregulars' museum on Clinton in 3017, were being held in a facility on the Kincaid Peninsula on McAffe. The intent was to lure Cranston Snord into bringing the Irregulars to McAffe to retrieve the artworks, at which point the Guards' Third Battalion would ambush and destroy the Irregulars.
Snord took the bait, but managed to outfox the ambushers; using one of the rakshasa storms common to McAffe as cover, Snord had his 'Mechs enter the ocean at Marggraf's Harbor and then walk across the ocean floor to the Kincaid Peninsula before jumping from the seaward shelf into the rear area of the Third Battalion. Quickly destroying a complete lance of Free Worlds Guards 'Mechs - causing the other lances to withdraw - before securing the artworks and leaving McAffe, leaving the destroyed 'Mechs behind for the Free Worlds Guards to salvage. Snord went so far as to send a taunting message to Captain-General Janos Marik about the Irregulars' successful retrieval of the artifacts - including a toy dog that had belonged to Elvis Presley - on returning to the Irregulars base on Clinton. Force Commander Beckner was reduced in rank to Captain and recalled to Atreus for a board of inquiry for his failure.
4th Succession War
War of 3039
Though most of the Clan Invasion, the Second Free Worlds Guards remained at their duty station. The garrison duties had blunted their skill slightly, but the Second was still a formidable force.
The Second participated in Operation Broken Fist, counterattacking into the Lyran Alliance. They rebuilt their losses and remained on the Lyran border until the Circinus Federation invaded Poulsbo and Khon Kaen. At that point the Second sent a battalion to the worlds as part of a task force. This battalion was destroyed in the fighting, but the task force successfully ejected the Circinians from both worlds.
After the dissolution of the Free Worlds League, the Second joined the Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey. They then struck into the Circinus Federation, following the strikes by the Principality of Regulus. Investigating each system, they rooted out and destroyed several Word of Blake cells that had been missed by the Regulans. Among these hideouts was a Blakist production center on Baltazar III. The Second Guards returned to Tamarind in 3084.
The Second joined the Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey after the dissolution of the Free Worlds League. They were unable to prevent the LCAF from taking Tamarind in 3137. They were assigned to the new Free Worlds League Military when the Free Worlds League was re-established in 3139. They were stationed on Atreus in 3145.
Second Free Worlds Guards
Second Free Worlds Guards (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Josiah Kimbolton
- The 9 medium companies were supported by 3 lances of light 'Mechs for scout duties and a lance of heavy/assault 'Mechs provide additional fire power when needed. The Aerospace contingent contains mainly light fighters.
- CO: Colonel Kamps Stattun
- CO/1st Battalion: Colonel Kamps Stattun
- XO: Lieutenant Colonel Photon Brett-Marik
- Second Battalion: Force Commander Lester Callwell
- Third Battalion: Force Commander Kez Clarke
- Fourth Battalion: Force Commander Peter Nue
- The three first Battalions are medium-classes
- Two Special Companies
- Wing Commander: Commodore Pierre Beland
- The 2nd is an oversized wing
- Armor Commander: Force Commander Henry McQuay
- The Eleventh is a light tank unit
- Troop Commander: Lieutenant-Colonel Rachel Virren
Second Free Worlds Guards (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Yoshio Kawamura
Second Guards Aerospace (Wing/Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Commodore Teodor Möller
Eleventh Bella Armor Regiment (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Colonel Styllianos Pham
Third Bella Garrison Regiment (Veteran/Questionable)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Nolan Gutierrez
Second Free Worlds Guards (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Deena Riggs
Second Guards Aerospace Wing (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Commander Fredric Faulkner
Nineteenth Atrean Cavalry Regiment (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Rudolf Savage
Twelfth Atrean BattleArmor Regiment (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Abel Miles
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League) p.91
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 146
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 11
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 89
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 102
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 115, "Free Worlds League Military"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 108, "FWL Deployment Table - 3025"
- 20 Year Update, p. 56, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 37, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 45, "2nd Free Worlds League Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 159, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 93, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3085"