8th Deneb Light Cavalry
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Animated MechWarrior Series Cancelled After Being Hit With Cease and Desist
- A Special New Year's Community Outreach - Nic from Sarna!
- Did You Know? - Scout ‘Mechs
- Read more →
|8th Deneb Light Cavalry|
|Unit Profile (as of 3062)|
|Nickname||The Green Leopards|
|Parent Formation||Deneb Light Cavalry|
The 8th Deneb Light Cavalry was the second Deneb Light Cavalry unit created by the Federated Suns. During the Second and Third Succession Wars the 8th DLC spent most of its time on the offensive against the Capellan Confederation. They were effective in this role, but took serious losses.
Fourth Succession War
War of 3039
The 8th DLC landed on Sadachiba, supported by Redfield's Renegades. Though expecting a 'Mech regiment, no DCMS forces were found on world. The ISF agents assigned to the world began playing on the fears of the troopers, stirring up paranoia. After several months of terrorist tactics, the 8th's morale was very low. The 9th Dieron Regulars used this opportunity to arrive on Sadachiba. Though the DLC destroyed one of the 9th Dieron Regulars battalions completely, the remaining Regulars smashed into the 8th DLC as the Cavalry tried to withdraw. What should have been an orderly retreat became a grinding withdrawal under constant fire and harassment attacks.
The 8th was one of the AFFS units assigned to the Lyran Commonwealth. There they fought not only the Draconis Combine but anti-Davion insurgents. This brought them into contact with the Free Skye movement and Duke Robert Kelswa-Steiner.
FedCom Civil War
In the late 3060's the homeworld of the 8th Deneb Light Cavalry was Kikuyu. There they garrisoned two main bases and tried to get their LAAF commanders to deliver parts and supplies. During the FedCom Civil War, the 6th Donegal Guards and Storm's Metal Thunder invaded the world. The Sixth Donegal Guards overran the northern DLC base in a few hours, allowing only a few companies to escape. The rest of the Deneb Light Cavalry members (approximately half the RCT) were captured or killed. Storm's Metal Thunder, supported by two armored regiments, attacked the southern DLC base. The grounded several kilometers from the base, which provided the remaining half of the DLC to organize a defense. They used their superior speed to keep the Metal Thunder off-balance and on the defensive. Eventually the Metal Thunder withdrew from their attack. The 8th DLC fought on for another two weeks but when the 6th Donegal reinforced Storm's Metal Thunder they knew it was time to leave. The Eighth fired several artillery shells filled with a non-lethal gas compound into the Lyran lines. These shells caused a great deal of confusion among the Guard and Metal Thunder units, allowing the DLC to board its DropShips and escape.
After arriving on Blue Hole the Eighth sparred with the 3rd Alliance Guards for a few weeks. The arrival of Storm's Metal Thunder changed the balance of power on the world, and the DLC led the Lyran units on a months-long chase across the world. When Clan Jade Falcon forces attacked Blue Hole the DLC tried to help their former countrymen, but the Lyrans fired on them. The DLC continued their practice of remaining mobile which prevented the Falcons from destroying them. The Lyran units, by contract, were nearly destroyed by the Falcons and withdrew from the world. The DLC faced the Falcon's 7th Talon and was nearly destroyed. Only the timely arrival of Clan Wolf-in-Exile's 1st Wolf Legion saved them from destruction.
During their trip back to the Federated Suns, the 8th would begin the rebuilding process by absorbing survivors from other destroyed units.
The Word of Blake learned that the 8th Deneb Light Cavalry was planning a raid on Addicks. The Blakists struck the 8th DLC's transports as they were preparing to leave New Rhodes III, destroying nearly every member of the 8th DLC. Only two battalions (one 'Mech, one battle armor) were able to escape. The 8th Deneb Light Cavalry got their revenge however by assaulting the Sydney Australia Castle Brian in the assault on Terra.
Upon learning that the 4th Deneb Light Cavalry was still alive, the Eighth immediately moved to Deneb Kaitos to support their sister unit. After rebuilding from their early losses, the Eighth transferred several soldiers over to the rebuilding command. This allowed the Fourth to remain in place on Deneb Kaitos, but also allowed the Fourth to take a position that placed them at odds with the AFFS High Command. Until the Marlette Crucis March Militia is reconstituted, the Eighth is garrisoning Marlette
After the Jihad ended, the AFFS "gifted" the newly formed Republic of the Sphere with the Eighth Deneb Light Cavalry. The unit was heavily damaged, and so the Republic Armed Forces used the Eighth DLC to form the planetary guard of Deneb Kaitos and some other nearby worlds.
The 8th DLC, in addition to the hit-and-run tactics of all Deneb Light Cavalry units, was skilled in guerrilla operations.
8th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Marshal Laverne Denton
8th DLC RCT (Regular/Reliable)
8th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Marshal Lisa Aileen Bortman 
- CO: Leutnant-General Lisa Aileen Bortman
- Aide: Kommandant Uriah Jervais
- CO: Leutnant-Kommodore Bruce Dewey
- 22nd Deneb Air Wing
- 3rd Deneb Independent Wing
- 4th Deneb Independent Wing
- The 4th is composed of conventional VTOL aircraft.
8th Deneb Light Cavalry Armor Brigade (2 Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Jean-Henri de Jeruc
- 3rd Deneb Light Armor: Leutnant-Colonel: Nichole Tertadian
- 4th Deneb Light Armor: Colonel Armin Brodzller
8th Deneb Light Cavalry Infantry Brigade (2 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Jessup Robinette
- Aide: Kommandant Desmond Poulakos
- 75th Deneb Kaitos Jump Infantry - Colonel: Ignazio Fulcher
- 80th Deneb Kaitos Jump Infantry - Colonel: Dona Hibaki
After rebuilding from their early losses, the Eighth DLC was at nearly seventy percent of their pre-Jihad strength. Their participation on Terra reduced their numbers considerably, and the need to re-build the Fourth DLC also took a serious toll. The Eighth is down to one third of their pre-Jihad strength.
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 86, "8th Deneb Light Cavalry Unit Profile"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 11
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 38
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 86
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 39
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 39
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 40
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 114
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 130
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3072, p. 57, "Blakist Task Force Foils Two Strikes in Two Weeks"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 13
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 167
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 183
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 136 (pdf version), "Clovis PDZ"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 140, "Addicks PDZ"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 136
- Objective Raids, p. 22