3rd Free Worlds Legionnaires
|3rd Free Worlds Legionnaires|
|Unit Profile (as of 3059)|
|Parent Formation||Free Worlds Legionnaires|
 Operation Guerrero
Did not participate in Operation Guerrero, but fought on Asuncion during the Zion Rebellion. They were the closest Loyalist unit to the province when it declared itself independent. They arrived in 3057 and spent quite a lot of time hunting down the mercenary forces employed by the secessionist government. They were not skilled in this type of operation, however, and it wasn't until the 3rd Free Worlds Guards arrived that the Rebellion was brought to a close in December, 3057.
As part of Operation SCOUR's Federated Suns Group I, the Third Legionnaires reinforced the 15th Arcturan Guards and 5th Crucis Lancers on Demeter. By performing an orbital drop, the Third was able to get behind the local Protectorate Militia divisions and the 9th Militia Division supporting them, and force them to pull back from the Vicore Industries complex. Three weeks after their arrival, the Third and other Coalition forces had taken control of Demeter; the Third Legionnaires had encircled the 9th Militia Division forces, which were comprised of two Level IIIs - Measure of Trust and Call to the Faithful - and which had retreated to the Vicore Industries plant. The Third Legionnaires spent three weeks trying to dislodge the Blakists until both the 9th Militia Division forces and the factory complex were destroyed by orbital bombardment.
Following the Demeter campaign the 3rd and the other elements of Group I were assigned to the liberation of Towne in March/April 3077. Information had been obtained by the Fox's Teeth indicating that the Word of Blake had developed and extensive fortified a facility on Towne for refitting and possibly manufacturing DropShips. The Blakist facility was located deep within a mountain range on the continent of Howell, and was protected by formidable defenses, including capital missile launchers. This became the site of the fiercest struggle during the campaign to liberate Towne, with the Blakists nearly defeating the combined forces of Group I. The defenses proved to be almost as tough as one of the Castle Brian complexes created during the era of the Star League, and drove the coalition troops to desperate measures; Princess Regent Yvonne Steiner-Davion personally authorised the use of orbital bombardment to crack the fortifications, and the Fox-class WarShip FSS Indefatigable moved in response.
As the Indefatigable moved towards Towne, it triggered another layer of defenses in the system that the various DropShips of Group I had failed to trigger; even as the Fox's Teeth were making a dangerous raid on the surface of the planet to disable the capital missile launchers there, hidden missile launchers within the system targeted the Indefatigable. Launch platforms disguised as ore processing stations within the Towne asteroid belt launched dozens of missiles, inflicting heavy damage on the Indefatigable and nearly stymied the liberation effort. As it was, the Indefatigable managed to make it to orbit and bombard the Blakists defenses, allowing Group I to take the planet. The campaign took four weeks from start to finish, and while the 15th Arcturan Guards were ready to deploy on their next operation on the 22nd of April, the other elements of Group I would continue to rebuild on Towne for some time.
In the Terran assault, the Third Legionnaires were served under Commanding General Devlin Stone. Fighting alongside the 25th Arcturan Guards, 7th Pesht Regulars, Stone's Lament, Ryuken-ni, and the Ghost Legion, the Third tried to take over the Word of Blake's main command center at Hilton Head Island. The intense defenses that were installed inflicted heavy damage on all the attacking units.
The 3rd is specialized in planetary raids and assaults. After the Third's poor showing on Asuncion, however, General Mondou arranged for more training for his unit in countering small unit engagements.
 Composition History
3rd Free Worlds Legionnaires (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: General Pierre Mondou
- CO/1st Battalion: Colonel Simone McNulty
- XO: Force Commander Arthur Hodgekinson
- 2nd Battalion: Force Commander Lesslie Burows
- 3rd Battalion: Force Commander Janvid Maedray
- Most 'Mechs are medium, and use only energy weapons
- Wing Commander: Commodore Morton Morris
- Reinforced to almost double standard size
- Armor Commander: Force Commander Michiko Hagiwara
- Includes several mobile artillery batteries
- Troop Commander: Lieutenant Colonel Col McGruer
- Formed from the remains of the previous Brigade)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 38, "3rd Free Worlds Legionnaires Unit Profile"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 20 Year Update, p. 56, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Field Manual: Updates, p. 159
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 36, "Tragedy on Demeter"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 37, "The Tale Of Towne"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 103, "Hell at Hilton Head"
- ↑ Field Manual: Updates, p. 145