403rd Independent Regiment
- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|403rd Independent Regiment|
|Unit Profile (as of 2588)|
|Parent Formation||VII Corps|
The Four Hundred and Third Independent Regiment was a part of the Star League Defense Force Regular Army. It was originally formed during the creation of the SLDF in 2571, and was a part of VII Corps during the Reunification War, where it served in the Magistracy of Canopus campaign from 2577 to 2588.
As a part of the Magistracy of Canopus task force, the 403rd was stationed on Leyda in the Capellan Confederation when military action against the Magistracy began. Although in later years independent regiments would form a part of almost every SLDF corps, VII Corps was particularly dependent on the four independent regiments assigned to it because of the general lack of transport assets that plagued VII Corps throughout the war, and the 403rd would see combat on five different worlds during the course of the war.
The 403rd worked alongside the 402nd Independent Regiment in 2577, supporting the 60th Brigade invasion of Butzfleth in the opening months of the war, but didn't see active combat again until 2581, when the 403rd was tasked to support the 60th Brigade for a second time in their conquest of Fanardir alongside the 3rd Orloff Grenadiers and the 1st Defenders of Andurien.
In April 2583 the 403rd was one of the units tasked with conquering the lightly-industrialized world of Adherlwin, a world of no great importance but which was captured within days of the capture of Nobel, the last two worlds within 30 Light Years of Canopus IV, creating a psychological feeling of isolation around the capital world of the Magistracy.  This was followed in 2584 by the the invasion of Canopus itself, a short but brutal campaign that inflicted heavy damage on both sides; the 403rd was back in action sooner than many of the SLDF units that had taken part in the battle, but it was still 2587 before the 403rd fought their next and final campaign, joining the 57th Brigade, 63rd Royal Brigade and the 5th Marik Militia in seizing the world of Cate's Hold, defeating and effectively destroying the 2nd Canopian Fusiliers and Samuelson's Slaughterers and capturing one of the last few remaining worlds capable of supporting the surviving MAF units.
- VII Corps units may utilize Overrun Combat.
- VII Corps units gain a +1 bonus to repair rolls.
- The VII Corps commander may select half of the maps used in any battle, irrespective of scenario rules.
- VII Corps units adhere to the Ares Conventions.
- VII Corps units suffer a -2 penalty to Initiative if forced to fight on city maps.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 148, "Magistracy of Canopus Front (Jump-Off &ndash 2582)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 149, "Magistracy of Canopus Front (2583 &ndash 2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 30, "VII Corps"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 102, "Afarsin, Adherlwin, Megarez and Nobel (March-April 2583)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 181, "The Star League"