- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||The Red Heart Guard|
|Parent Formation||Capellan Hussars|
- 1 History
- 1.1 Formation
- 1.2 Fourth Succession War
- 1.3 Andurien/Canopus Invasion
- 1.4 War of 3039
- 1.5 Operation Guerrero
- 1.6 Operation Bulldog
- 1.7 Xin Sheng Campaign
- 1.8 Jihad
- 1.9 Republic Era
- 1.10 Dark Age
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 Rules
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
Originally raised in 2355 as the 2nd Hexare Lancers, and later renamed the Red Lancers after destruction of a rebellious unit Merik's Grenadier's in 2451-2452, a rogue Capellan Hussars unit that had assassinated Chancellor Duncan Liao in 2452.
First Succession War
In 2787, the Chancellor Barbara Liao assigned the Red Lancers to Task Force Devlin, a multi-regimental and naval expeditionary force tasked to gain worlds for House Liao.
The Battle of Calloway VI
In March of 2789, the Task Force Devlin had jumped to Calloway VI. Pior to the invasion being carried out, traitors among the Task Force feeling guilty over the lost of life caused by Task Force's action on New Delos leaked to House Marik the operation plans for Liao's attack on Calloway VI. Task Force Devlin was meet by a First Oriente Provincial Squadron on their arrival at Calloway system. Despite the Oriente Squadron's surprise attack and destruction of regiments worth of 'Mechs and Aerospace assets, the Lancers along with other ground forces burned to the planet. Barbara Liao lead the Regiments to for domination of the planet. Joining other four surviving regiments, the Marik defenders had mustered five regiments and had weeks to fortify their positions. However, due to the presence of the Chancellor leading the Lancers into battle, reserves of troops used up every time the Marik forces broke through their battle lines and threaten her. Eventually, after 10 days of battle, Chancellor admitted defeat and ordered Liaos forces to withdraw as attrition of battle depleted her forces. By this time, the Red Lancers had been depleted to a third of the fighting strength remained as they tried to provide cover for Chancellor to withdraw from the planet. In the aftermath of the following destruction of Task Force Devlin, the Red Lancers were among the three regiments to have survive the campaign.
Second Succession War - The Red Heart Guard
Recognizing as the Second Succession War began in earnest in 2828 that the depleted CCAF could not hope to fend off simultaneous attacks from both Free Worlds League and Federated Suns, in a desperate gamble Chancellor Ilsa Liao stripped the League border of its best troops and personally lead the Red Lancers supported by elements of the Prefectorate Guard to strike the important Federated Suns staging world of Orbisonia to try and delay the Davion advance. While Ilsa's troops had a considerable weight advantage, their ranks consisting primarily of Warhammer and Marauder heavy 'Mechs, the defending units of the Avalon Hussars were much more experienced and managed to outmaneuver and outsmart the Capellans thanks to the heavy use of light reconnaissance and scout assets.   
By the fourth day of the campaign the Capellan forces were in full retreat, with Ilsa leading the rear-guard forces. Unbeknown to the Capellan forces, the Federated Suns troops had identified that Ilsa was leading the rear-guard and launched an aimed strike at her forces. During the final rear-guard action that saved the remains of the Capellan forces, Ilsa Liao was killed in action, becoming the first Capellan Chancellor to die on the battlefield. The Red Lancers would thereafter adopt the nickname of the "The Red Heart Guard" in commemoration of their fallen commander.   
Fourth Succession War
Despite being stationed on Sian during the Fourth Succession War, the Red Lancers did not take part in the defense against the raid of the 1st Kathil Uhlans on the 24th of October, 3029, as only 'Mechs of Warrior House Imarra stood at the space port as the honor guard for what they believed were the victorious returning 4th Tau Ceti Rangers.
War of 3039
Xin Sheng Campaign
Located on Sian when the Word of Blake sent two divisions to attack the world, the Red Lancers forced the 17th and 24th Divisions to a standstill. This allowed the Blackwind Lancers to arrive and shatter the Blakist commands. The Blakist forces withdrew in disarray.
The Red Lancers accompanied Magestrix Naomi Centrella-Liao back to the Magistracy of Canopus in 3075, taking part in the campaign to liberate the Magistracy capital world of Canopus. When Naomi returned to the Capellan Confederation in December 3075 she left the Red Lancers on Canopus to reinforce the surviving planetary defenses.
With Naomi Centrella-Liao's daughter named after the Red Lancer's legendary commander, the unit named the Ilsa an honorary sang-shao in the unit in 3084. The Lancers staged a full military parade on her sixteenth birthday, posters of the young Ilsa posing with several of the Red Heart Guards atop the canopy of a Men Shen OmniMech widely distributed across both the Confederation and Magistracy in its wake. 
During the Victoria War the Red Lancers took Schen Wan from the Oriente Protectorate before moving to assault Ipswich. Supported by Roman's Mounted Fusiliers they faced the 5th Oriente Hussars and 6th Oriente Hussars.
In 3145 the Red Lancers drove the 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry off of Almach, afterwards returning to the capital. Seemingly content to have demonstrated their power and removed an obstacle to the CCAF’s invasion timetable.
|Commanding Officers of the Red Lancers|
|Sang-shao||William Le Marchant||3085|
The Lancers use divide-and-conquer tactics, splitting an enemy force in two. One tactic involves pinning an enemy unit between heavy Mechs and lighter, jump-capable units.
- CO: Colonel Judith Abermarle
- 1st Battalion: Major Adam Vinncenes
- 2nd Battalion: Major Andre Elias
- 3rd Battalion: Major Christine Jorgen
- CO: Colonel Andre Elias
- CO: Sang-shao An Shennu
- XO/1st Battalion Zhong-shao Piril Morad
- 2nd Battalion Zhong-shao Drew "Kali Yama" Patterson
- 3rd Battalion Zhong-shao Peter Smith
- Wing Commander: Kong-zhong-shao David Lo
- Armor Commander: Sao-shao Manor Helms
- Infantry Commander: Zhong-shao Elsa Hyung-Po
Red Lancers (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Sang-shao William Le Marchant
4th Sian Defense Wing (Wing/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Fun Che Chow
The Blood Brigade (2 Battalions/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Zhong-shao Yuk Fan Lam
Red Lancers Infantry (4 Battalions/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Zhong-shao Wai On Ng
Red Lancers (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Sang-shao Cao Culverton
4th Sian Defense Wing (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Cas Birral
The Blood Brigade (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Zhong-shao Gregorie Vidales
- CO: Zhong-shao Manfred Kleinsfeld
- When randomly generating force experience the Red Lancers receive a +2 bonus to the Random Experience Level roll.
- When determining availability of equipment, replacements and advanced components, the Red Lancers receive a +1 bonus.
- The Red Lancers receive a +1 bonus to Initiative.
- Before the beginning of a game, the Red Lancers player may select one of the opposing force's special abilities and prevent them from using that ability during the game - this refers to combat abilities, and does not affect force generation rolls such as skill and equipment rolls.
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 53, "Red Lancers Unit Profile"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 77, "Red Lancers"
- First Succession War, pp. 58-59 "Debacle of Calloway - Red Lancer's actions during Calloway VI battle.
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 28 "Sandol Quinn - Ilsa the Peacemaker - Debacle at Chesterton"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 47, "The Succession Wars - Second Succession War"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 29 "The Red Heart Guard"
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 220, "Darter Scout Car"
- Twilight of the Clans, p. 13
- Field Manual: Update, p. 20, "Red Lancers Profile"
- Field Manual: Update, p. 94 "Star League Defense Force - Martial Olympiad"
- Blake Ascending, pp. 271-272. Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, pp. 111-112
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 54
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 55
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 19, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 55, "The Jihad In Review"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 23 "Capellan Confederation - Capellan Hussars - Red Lancers"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League, p. 44
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation, p. 22
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns, pp. 42, 52
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 30, "Capellan Hussars - Red Lancers"
- 20 Year Update, p. 62, "CCAF Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 41, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Update, p. 32, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 33, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 45, "CCAF Deployment Table - 3145"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 182, "Capellan Confederation"
- 20 Year Update
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation
- Handbook: House Liao
- Historical: Reunification War
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Objective Raids
- Twilight of the Clans
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070
- Blake Ascending
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League