5th Amaris Legionnaires
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Animated MechWarrior Series Cancelled After Being Hit With Cease and Desist
- Read more →
|Fifth Amaris Legionnaires|
|Unit Profile (as of 2590)|
|Parent Formation||Amaris Legionnaires|
Forces from Task Force MAILED FIST, the Star League forces assigned to Operation MAILED FIST - an intervention into the long-running civil war in the Rim Worlds Republic - encountered the Fifth Amaris Legionnaires on Barcelona in 2591.
The Civil War had begun in 2575 and the factions had polarised around those loyal to First Consul Gregory Amaris and those loyal to the Rift Republican Army and the Rim Provisional Government. The Fifth Legionnaires had defected to the RPG and were under the command of Colonel Franchetta Wong, a distant cousin of the Amaris family.
The officer commanding Task Force MAILED FIST, General Nathan Isaacson, had dispatched a substantial force to seize Barcelona. Assigned to the campaign was an SLDF division from VIII Corps, the Thirty-First Armor Division under the command of Lieutenant-General Margaret Beck, along with three regiments from the 2nd Marik Auxiliary Corps commanded by Duke Narinder Selaj (the Second and Sixth Marik Militias and the First Brigade of the Fusiliers of Oriente) and the entire Lyran Auxiliary Corps - the Fourth Royal Guards, Twenty-Fifth Skye Rangers and the Tamar Tigers - commanded by Archon Viola Steiner-Dinesen. This meant that the Star League forces substantially outnumbered the Fifth Legionnaires and had a noticeable advantage in terms of equipment.
Despite this, Colonel Wong attempted to use this familial connection to convince the three senior MAILED FIST officers that she was a representative of the ruling family. These claims were swiftly dismissed, although Duke Selaj recommended using Wong as a figurehead to try and stabilize the world; Selaj's recommendations were dismissed by the Archon, acting in the belief that to countenance such a charade would only create more political problems on Barcelona, and as a result Colonel Wong turned against the Star League forces and began to lead the Fifth Legionnaires in a campaign that proved her to be a skilled commander, using her numerically inferior forces in ways that stretched the Star League forces significantly over the next two months.
Despite Wong's best efforts, the Star League advantages in numbers and equipment eventually swung the campaign back in their favour, and by early July the Fifth Legionnaires had been forced to fall back into the rugged terrain that dominated the northern continent of Barcelona, known as Norn. The Fifth Legionnaires would have been quickly defeated if not for events within the Lyran Commonwealth.
The disruption caused by the Day of Rage and the resulting withdrawal of the LCAF units bought time for the Fifth Legionnaires, who managed to hold out against the Star League forces until mid-September before finally being defeated.
- During the Reunification War the Fifth Legionnaires receive a -1 penalty to all repair rolls as a consequence of the disruption caused to the logistical infrastructure of the Rim Worlds Army during the Rim Worlds Republic civil war.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 136, "Barcelona (April-September 2591)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 130, "The Spark"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 153, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (2588-2596)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 137-138, "Barcelona: The Day of Rage (19 June 2591)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 131, "The Rim Worlds Army Loyalties"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 183, "Rim Worlds Republic"